Rocky Vista University (RVUCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A friend of mine (at RVU) applied as an IS applicant to UCO with a 40 mcat, and a 3.97 gpa and she was waitlisted at UCO...
I am honestly not sure what they're looking for...

That's unreal. Yeah, I'm not holding my breath for UCO by any means.

Members don't see this ad.

I just got my acceptance last month. Is there any sort of facebook page or something for the class of 2018?

Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting on a few schools before making a definite decision, but I'm really leaning towards RVU. I loved it when I came on my visit and would definitely be very happy going there!

Well if you decide for RVU, I'll see you in august!

Has anyone been pulled off the Alternate list yet? I noticed in the email that they review your application each time the admissions committee gets together and I'm just wondering what my chances of getting pulled off early are.

I was pulled off the second week of December. I declined the spot, so hopefully it opens up for somebody here!

Did all those who are accepted get the list of things we need to do before matriculation yesterday?

Just interviewed 1/14, the school is really great! At first when I was applying I wasn't sure how I felt, but after interview day it's definitely one of my top choices. GPA 3.65, science GPA 3.75, MCAT 32.

Reactions: 1 user
II this evening.. Sort of concerned it may be late in the game. Any ideas on how full the class might be/chances of acceptance? Fingers crossed that there's still hope !

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not even February, I am sure you have a good chance...

II this evening.. Sort of concerned it may be late in the game. Any ideas on how full the class might be/chances of acceptance? Fingers crossed that there's still hope !

When I received my II, they said that appx. 75% of students they interview get an offer! Be yourself and enjoy the laid back interview, and maybe I'll see you in August! :)

Hey there! I interviewed Last week and checked my status as "Alternate!" I want to attend this school so badly! :(

Send them an update letter or letter if intent. It can't hurt

Thanks, I have one in the works, does this letter need to be long? What are my chances of getting off the alternate?

I am really not sure about the alternate list, or how many people come off of it.
I don't think the letter should be terribly long, I think it should tell them why you really want to attend RVU

Thanks, I have one in the works, does this letter need to be long? What are my chances of getting off the alternate?
They said at my interview that it's really hit or miss -- they moved a few dozen people off the alternate list last year and hardly any this year. Definitely worth following up if you're interested in going. Couldn't hurt!

Sending out my Secondaries tomorrow with an MCAT 26, cGPA 3.47 and sGPA 3.28.... Not so sure of my chances, but I have great experience as a medical scribe and really good letters of recommendation from my professors and D.O. Fingers crossed.

Interviewing here next Tuesday 1/28! Any current students other people interviewing next week interested in meeting up? I'm flying into Denver early the day before and would like some company!

Interviewing here next Tuesday 1/28! Any current students other people interviewing next week interested in meeting up? I'm flying into Denver early the day before and would like some company!

I'm not, but good luck! :)

I really enjoyed my visit! I have a couple more interviews lined up--it's really going to come down to where my SO can get a good job that he really likes. Good thing Denver is up and coming!

Hey I'm interviewing here tomorrow (1/29) and am staying an extra day to see Denver and the area. Is anyone interested in meeting up and doing the same thing? I'm OOS so don't know much about the area.

You're probably better off asking at the interview. Surprisingly, not that many people are on SDN...

Can anyone comment on the longer school year (compared to other med schools) and the pros/cons of it?

Could any current students share how much real-life clinical exposure you get in your first year? I'm also wondering if there is any problem-based learning in the curriculum...

As far as clinical experience, it depends on what you choose to do. We have health fairs you can attend, as well as shadowing opportunities.

By the standard definition of PBL, no we don't have any PBL style courses, they are lecture based. We do have case presentations & discussions, but they don't progress like in a PBL format

To the other post about the long year, it recently changed some where summer break between 1st & 2nd year is now 6wks, so I can't comment because my class only had 3.5wks off

Pro - I've never experienced the academic year at another medical school, so while I can't say for sure, my understanding is that the longer year allows us to learn the material a little more thoroughly. Not sure what other reason there could be anyway. You'd have to ask some upperclassmen if they felt it helped them retain info better.

Con - Summer research projects tend to run 8 weeks. We have 6 weeks off. If you do an 8 week project, it eats into the 1st 2 weeks of second year, and you still have to know the material taught during that time. If you were doing a research fellowship in another state, you'd probably have to watch the lectures online. Doable, but hard.

Admissions committee is meeting today! I really hate the waiting and anticipation! But at least they have a record of fast turn arounds! :nailbiting::xf:

Reactions: 1 users
Admissions committee is meeting today! I really hate the waiting and anticipation! But at least they have a record of fast turn arounds! :nailbiting::xf:
Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

OMG!!! ACCEPTED!!!!:highfive::soexcited:
Phone call this morning, interviewed on Jan 29.

Are you going to matriculate!?!? Congrats! :)

Ddefinitely one of my top choices! Have two more interviews I am waiting to hear (A.T. Still Kirksville and DMU) .... but have a feeling this will be the winner! I am so happy, I walked out of the interview not wondering how I did. I let my nerves get to me..... they said I interviewed really great and they knew as soon as I left.

Are you a current RVU student?

Ddefinitely one of my top choices! Have two more interviews I am waiting to hear (A.T. Still Kirksville and DMU) .... but have a feeling this will be the winner! I am so happy, I walked out of the interview not wondering how I did. I let my nerves get to me..... they said I interviewed really great and they knew as soon as I left.

Are you a current RVU student?

Nope, class of 2018! :)

Sweet! and your going to RVU for sure? Perhaps we will be fellow classmates this summer!

Sweet! and your going to RVU for sure? Perhaps we will be fellow classmates this summer!

Yeah, I'm 100% on RVU! Good luck with the rest of the process!

Yeah, I'm 100% on RVU! Good luck with the rest of the process!

Just outta curiosity what other schools did you consider? ... Also do you know how long all the 'business' stuff takes to complete?

Just outta curiosity what other schools did you consider? ... Also do you know how long all the 'business' stuff takes to complete?

Well I am still pending at U Colorado- Denver and PCOM, but I really really like RVU's campus and philosophy. I also only applied to places my wife and I would want to live, so I didn't apply to any schools that aren't in a larger city.
I got all of the stuff done in about a week, but I also work at a clinic where one of our docs did my physical and ordered my lab work for me right away. So it all depends on your access to that stuff.

Just a side note, wait on your TB screen until closer to starting, it only takes 2-3 days & it doesn't have to be done early.

Do you have to pay for the background check?
As far as I know, all I've needed to do was enter all my info. I haven't had to pay for anything yet. I dunno about the drug test yet though. They haven't started scheduling those yet.

No, you do not have to pay for the background check, well, not up front. I'm sure it's included somewhere in fees or something, but it's not an out of pocket cost

Oh, and if memory serves me correctly, the drug test also has to be done closer to the start of school

The topic of 3rd year rotations has been addressed briefly on this thread but kind of skimmed over. I'm coming down to decision time between this school and a couple of others, and I would really like to know about the opportunities. Where are the sites? Is it true that you could theoretically go wherever you'd like if you organize it?