Rocky Vista University (RVUCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejection via email today. Complete about two weeks ago. I'm OOS with 3.4c/3.3s and 28 (9/10/9)

:(

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
ii this morning when I checked the portal. Will be there October 10th. CAN NOT wait to interview at this school.

I think you guys forget that RVU is in Denver. We have 4000-5000 applicants each cycle. One of my friends has a 3.95 & 40... She chose RVU...

I had a nice time visitng this school. Although, I think some students here we spoke to gave off a vibe as if their school was like the next Harvard. Two medical students actually broke out into an argument about RVUs reputation in front of us lol. It's good to know the students have good school pride.

Our board scores improve every year, despite the FP status, our scores are solid, & the curriculum is rigorous to say the least...

I was really looking forward to apply to this school next year. I received my MCAT score today, and I feel that it won't permit me to do so unless I retake with a much improved (verbal) score.

I ended up with 8/6/10. I scored below my PS average, VR was spot on.

Is it best for me to retake in spring or is there any risk in hurting a subsection score, BS?

I would retake it, 24 isn't super competitive anywhere right now. Focus on your weak points in your studies, but refresh the bio before the test...

That's what I figured. It's a bit of a downer only because I have to go through it again, but I will take that advice to focus most of my attention on my weak areas. At least I've got my notes from the past exam that I can brush up on in the spring.

I will register for a second attempt when the time comes! Thanks.

If you have the means/ability, take a class, I have heard they are helpful. A friend of mine took an in-person class and said it raised her score 5pts...

That's what I figured. It's a bit of a downer only because I have to go through it again, but I will take that advice to focus most of my attention on my weak areas. At least I've got my notes from the past exam that I can brush up on in the spring.

I will register for a second attempt when the time comes! Thanks.

Try the newer ones like CUSOM and LUCOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, statuses updated on the portals.

Accepted! Received the call earlier this week. I actually really liked this school a lot!

Congrats!

If you are accepted as an alternate, and do want to attend, send the school letters of intent to show your interest, can't hurt!

I just submitted the Rocky Vista secondary and when I was reviewing the whole application everything was showing up fine and I paid for it. Now when I look at the admissions portal all my essays show blank!

Did my essays not submit??

You need to email admissions....

Anyone post-interview hear back?

Accepted 9/16 : )

I interviewed on 9/11, anyone else there with me?

Still early in the cycle for a decision, but it's definitely nice to have my first acceptance!

Last edited:
I just submitted the Rocky Vista secondary and when I was reviewing the whole application everything was showing up fine and I paid for it. Now when I look at the admissions portal all my essays show blank!

Did my essays not submit??

Same thing happening to me. What did they say?

Same thing happening to me. What did they say?
Don't worry, that is typical. Once the application is sent, you will no longer be able to view your application. The Admissions Department will contact you if your essay questions are not received.

Accepted 9/16 : )

I interviewed on 9/11, anyone else their with me?

Still early in the cycle for a decision, but it's definitely nice to have my first acceptance!

Congrats!

IF you are really interested in our school, then yes you should apply!

If my file was complete on 9/23, when should I expect to hear back about a decision to interview?
Thanks.

If my file was complete on 9/23, when should I expect to hear back about a decision to interview?
Thanks.

Seems like I heard back within a month but September is a busy time of year for all schools, so it could take longer.

Will you (or anyone else) comment on the student health insurance?

I like the student health insurance. It's better than the plan I had in undergrad and it's better than some company plans I have had.

I am not aware of there being any problems with the military. We have more military students than any school besides the USUHS.

Pros- curriculum model works well, board scores are high, you can eat in class, wear what you want, faculty is good, Denver area is nice
Cons- school year is long and breaks are short, anatomy is dissection, which if you have a 350lb short lady kinda sucks, I would much prefer a prosected cadaver.

I have not seem anything but good from the military track.

I personally like doing the dissection. The fellows also dissect so you can always look at that body to get a better idea if you mess something up on the body you are dissecting.

Just got my secondary. Most likely won't have all my LOR's in by early september. If I'm complete by then, will I be too late for an interview?

Modest EC's; cGPA 3.5 sGPA 3.4 MCAT 28

I suggest emailing them to tell them that you haven't forgotten and when you expect your letters to be submitted. I waited to submit my letters but I told them why and I was able to get an interview even though it was much later in the season.

3.8 gpa 25 mcat OOS this school is ridiculously tough with the regional bias

I was OOS and so are many of my classmates. It may seem like a regional bias on SDN, but really there are just tons of early rejections overall. It sucks to get rejected early but for those who get an interview they can be confident that they have a very good chance of acceptance.

For people who ended up getting an II did you guys work while in school? Any non-trad people get IIs?

I'm guessing they ask that as one of the secondary prompts because they want to see if an applicant can handle the rigors of medical school. Unfortunately I didn't work throughout college.

My class had a ton of non-trads. We have many married students and students with kids. It's a pretty good mixture of students.

Wondering same as above. Also, if you've got a below average MCAT score, does that put you out of the running for Global Medicine or R/W, or is admittance to that based off grades you get as a first year medical student?

Sorry if this was already answered, the tracks are only based on how you do in medical school so if you get in they don't care about anything that came before. Just make sure to do really well your first semester. You apply for the tracks and the end of the first semester.

How's it going out there? Anyone hear anything back?? Best of luck!

I've applied to 15 DO schools and verified last week. RVU sent me my first and only secondary today. After reading this thread, I am struggling with the idea of submitting this secondary. Any thoughts are appreciated.

My stats are:
I am a Virginia resident
sGPA: ~3.6
cGPA:~ 3.4
gradGPA: 4.0 (30 credits of all upper level biology)
MCAT: 28 (11/8/9)

Last edited:
I've applied to 15 DO schools and verified last week. RVU sent me my first and only secondary today. After reading this thread, I am struggling with the idea of submitting this secondary. Any thoughts are appreciated.

My stats are:
I am a Virginia resident

Pre interview rejection today. Sucks petty bad. But I have a low mcat so I'm not terribly surprised.

Anyone else interviewing here next Tuesday 10/8?

My stats are:
I am a Virginia resident

I think you have a decent chance. I don't know your ECs or anything but your numbers are good enough. Make sure you do a nice job on the essays, they are very important.

I have my interview here next week, does anybody that has already had their interview or any current students have any advice at all? How was the interview? How was the day as a whole?

Darkmatter, you should apply.
SDSU, it's pretty relaxed, but I'll let someone who interviewed this cycle comment

I have my interview here next week, does anybody that has already had their interview or any current students have any advice at all? How was the interview? How was the day as a whole?

It's a pretty generic interview day. A tour, talk with the dean, a lunch, then interviews. During the interviews people usually have to wait for their turn for a while and talk to student ambassadors.

Interview itself is purposely designed to be laid back. They usually ask a couple of the generic questions like why RVU etc., but really try to start a conversation going.

Arrived in Denver this morning and have been exploring the area. I am super excited for the interview tomorrow. Can not wait!!!

Its a pretty neat school. I really enjoyed the interview day and the facilities are AWESOME! Everything is super nice, definitely a plus in being a newer school. I especially liked how the anatomy lab was on the top floor with lots of windows so you dont feel like your in a dungeon. You really cant beat the location. Parker has everything you need, its close enough to Denver that you can do anything you want, and its far enough away that you can live in areas where you feel like you're in the country. It was very beautiful.

Its a pretty neat school. I really enjoyed the interview day and the facilities are AWESOME! Everything is super nice, definitely a plus in being a newer school. I especially liked how the anatomy lab was on the top floor with lots of windows so you dont feel like your in a dungeon. You really cant beat the location. Parker has everything you need, its close enough to Denver that you can do anything you want, and its far enough away that you can live in areas where you feel like you're in the country. It was very beautiful.

I'm glad you had a good experience. The location is a huge perk.

I'm in the anatomy lab a lot right now and I really appreciate the windows.

Loved my interview day here! It really seemed that the faculty is dedicated in every way and it's a very warm and friendly environment...