Rocky Vista University (RVUCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if this school accepts "update letters" pre-interview? I have been complete since August and haven't heard anything. I have several things I have done since sending in my secondary application that I want to let them know about. My applicant tab is still there so I think that is a good sign??
Yes the school does accept update letters and letters of continued interest/intent. They do review previously submitted applications on a rolling basis. I can't tell you how successful you might be - but as long as the information is pertinent and significant, you can't really hurt your chances.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes the school does accept update letters and letters of continued interest/intent. They do review previously submitted applications on a rolling basis. I can't tell you how successful you might be - but as long as the information is pertinent and significant, you can't really hurt your chances.

Is there an email to send them to that you are aware of? Or should it be sent via snail mail? thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have to perform exams on your classmates? i.e. strip down? D: Serious question.
You will have to perform exams on fellow classmates at any school you attend. At RVU the lab dress code is that male students must dress down to gym shorts, and female students must dress down to gym shorts and a sports bra. There is absolutely no touching of/or revealing of breasts, genitalia or buttox at any time. Any such examinations are performed on mannequins or onto specially trained standardized patients who will guide you through the inspection themselves. We use oto/ophthalmoscopes to examine each others ears and eyes, nose, throat. We use stethoscopes to listen to each other's lungs/heart and bowel sounds - and yes the stethoscope must touch bare skin. During osteopathic manipulations lab, we do practice performing all manipulations on each other. But at all times, the minimum lab dress code is respected. Lastly, we do have separate locker rooms for males and females if that is also of concern for you. Hope that clears up any concerns you might have.

Don't most schools use standardized patients and not each other for exams?

Reactions: 1 user
Females can't wear a t-shirt to lab ever?

Of course you're welcome to cover up when you're not being practiced on. Let me give you an example:

Let's say today we're doing HEENT exams (head ears eyes nose throat) then yes you're welcome to wear a t-shirt. Let's say tomorrow we're doing respiratory lab and have to listen to lung sounds. You're also absolutely welcome to wear the t-shirt the whole time you're not being practiced on. When it's your partner's turn, you are expected to be dressed down so they have the opportunity to practice on you. You are allowed to pick your own partner, so if you're more comfortable with another girl as a partner, you're able to make that happen. Each student including yourself must have the opportunity to visualize the proper placement posts for the stethoscope, must feel what "normal" feels like when palpating spine and ribs, etc. You can't learn to do it right by practicing once on an (SP) standardized patient. SP's are only used for when you're tested on your competency of performing the skill. The more you practice with classmates, the better you'll perform during competency. Again, special exams that involve breasts, genetalia, buttox, are performed ONLY on SP's or mannequines.

Females can't wear a t-shirt to lab ever?

The dress code is gym clothes, and males and females can both keep their shirts on unless you're doing something in OMM that necessitates taking shirts off. I feel like that was about 40% of the time or so in first year that people had to take their shirts off. I wish the case were that you didn't have to be in any less clothing than you're comfortable in, but it's one of the stupid things you'll just have to get used to in medical school. The only consolation I have to offer is that this is how it's done at most osteopathic schools and you're not alone in how you feel about it (or at least how I presume you feel about it, I guess).

SP's are used for physical exams you're graded on and physical exams that you could never justify doing on fellow students (breast, prostate, and so on). SP's cost money, no school is going to use them for everyday practice.

You learn on each other, you're tested by SP's (except some situations).

At RVU, standardized patients are for 2 purposes: testing of already learned lab skills, and training of examinations of breast, buttox, genetalia. All the other skills like how to inspect the eye, how to listen to the heart, lungs, how to palpate the spine, ribs, etc, are performed on each other. This is the "norm" for any school. You have 2 labs on a weekly basis that require dress-down. It is not practical for a school to have SP's visit twice a week - plus, since the SP's will be testing you, their identity must be kept anonymous until you walk into the testing room. Medical school is an extremely professional setting, especially when it comes to labs. We all want to be doctors so we treat each other professionally when it comes to each others bodies. That mutual respect is what allows us to trust each other enough to practice on each other. If you feel awkward performing an exam on a fellow classmate, how can you ever be confident performing an exam on a complete stranger? You might feel awkward practicing on each other during the first lab - but you won't even care by the second lab. This is truly nothing to worry about. I hope this helps. Let me know if I can answer anything else for you.

Reactions: 1 users
What percentage is it during second year? So stripping down is mostly for OMM?
These concerns are totally normal and valid. I would offer the following thoughts based on personal experience in a manual skills lab setting. Rest assured that it is a very mature, professional and respectful environment; everyone is supportive of one another and sensitive to any anxiety that might exist. I don't know if this applies to RVU, but women are often allowed to wear a sports bra under their t-shirt or tank-top, if they are more comfortable with that.

I think an important thought to consider here is that as students and future physicians we will be asking total strangers to disrobe into gowns and performing exams and procedures that will/can evoke the same type of anxiety and challenge to their comfort level (patients are people just like all of us). I personally think these type of classroom experiences allow us to become more sensitive and empathetic to patient concerns in a way that is nearly impossible to achieve otherwise. There is nothing like first-hand experience to truly understand how a patient may feel during a visit to their doctor. It also gives us the opportunity to learn how to navigate those experiences on an interpersonal level before encountering a 'real' patient--communication, awareness, etc.; it will set you apart from other physicians. I feel this is just another way that osteopathic medicine instills compassion, respect and good bedside manners. If we know the feeling of unease, we are more likely to recognize and acknowledge it during our patients encounters and learn how to put them at ease. After all, is it really fair to ask patients to put themselves in this situation if we are not willing to do so ourselves, for the sake of learning? Look at it as an opportunity to become more skilled at meeting ALL of your patients' needs and concerns. These labs are more than just learning OMM... .

Don't worry TheFakeDoctor, everyone supports one another and nobody is there to judge. All the best.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What percentage is it during second year? So stripping down is mostly for OMM?

During second year I think most people didn't take off their shirt once in lab. The instructors get mad if you try to palpate through the shirt early on but by second year it's ok to do that, as you are assumed to be more competent. There are a couple of PCM labs (the labs where you learn stethoscope use and the like) that you'll probably have to take your shirt off in as well during first year.

Thank you for the information. So if you work on your partner, do you get a curtained room or is it out in the open?
During regular lab, you're in a open room with 40 other people. There are TV's mounted around the room and a stage at the front. A professor will give a short lecture and demonstrate up on stage and you can watch on a TV if you're not close enough to the front. When you're being tested during an SP encounter, you use real clinical rooms where you're one-on-one behind closed doors. Here's a picture of the OPP and PCM lab: http://www.rvu.edu/omm-lab/ and there might be some more scattered throughout the site. Here's another photo from the RVU Facebook page. There's a professor demonstrating a manipulation on a student. On that particular day, dress-down was not required. Link to photo. Check out some of the other photos too.

If you have the opportunity to tour the school, you may have a chance to see a lab in session. Again, it's a very professional environment and you will quickly grow to be comfortable working with your classmates. Medbound40 also makes a very good point. One of the things we're taught is how to show respect to your SP's and real patients. You grow accustomed to being dressed in gym clothes with your classmates. The SP's and real patients are not, so you can better relate with how a real patient will feel when you ask them to disrobe. I hope this helps. Let me know what else I can answer for you.

Can anyone tell me how often labs are for both anatomy and clinical/omm?Are they daily and how long are they? Thanks!

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me how often labs are? Daily and how long are they? Thanks!
All labs are scheduled in blocks of 2 hours. Sometimes you'll get out earlier.

OPP (Osteopathic Manipulations) lab is once a week.
PCM (Principles of Clinical Medicine) lab is once a week.
Ultrasound lab is ~once a month.
Anatomy Lab can be 2-4 times a week during MSK system (Musculoskeletal). When you move on to heart, lungs, abdomen, neuro, you'll only spend ~1 week in lab.
In anatomy you're placed in a group of 8 people per cadaver. You dissect in smaller groups of 4. It's a very nice setup, and if you work efficiently, you'll never have to dissect outside of lab hours. The anatomy lab is also open after hours if you want to come in and dissect further or review structures on your own time.

Hey guys! I'm new to SDN.
Scheduled interview for 12/9. :)
Can anyone tell me a little bit more about the interview and what to expect? Also, for those lucky few of you that got accepted, how long after your interview did you get the call?

Can anyone tell me a little bit more about the interview and what to expect? Also, for those lucky few of you that got accepted, how long after your interview did you get the call?
Very relaxed interview. I know that's a cliche for DO school interviews, but in the half dozen schools I interviewed at this was definitely the most laid back. The interviewers don't have any information on your grades or mcat, all they are looking at is for is "fit". Be ready to tell stories about yourself and your life experience. They're not looking for numbers (X years doing this Y hours doing that etc) they're looking for your personality and determining if you would mesh with the schools culture. I interviewed there on a Thursday and got the acceptance call on Friday (next day).

Congrats on the interview!
pjsdo16 pretty much nailed what the interview is like. If RVU invited you to an interview, it means you already have what it takes to get in (on paper). All they want to see is that you match the person described on that paper in real life. That literally translates to "be yourself". Just remember that, and that should help with any interview stress you might have. During the day you'll have a tour of the school, a nice lunch (eat the brownies), and a lot of time to ask current students and faculty any questions you might have. I don't believe there are any scheduled labs on the 9th, but you will still see the anatomy and OPP labs, and maybe some students practicing manipulations.

Also, go here and click the "Catalog" button at the top-left next to the photo. Page 37 describes the specifics of the interview process at RVU. Your application portal should also have new buttons/links for more interview information included with directions and local hotels. The catalog is also a good thing to preview in case there's anything you want to clarify when you visit the school. The admissions committee usually holds meetings every few weeks, and at least once a month. They will tell you at the end of your interview roughly when you can expect to know. Good luck!

Last edited:
Hey guys! I'm interviewing next Friday, 12/4. I'm really excited to get out to Colorado and will be staying a few extra days to get a feel for the area. Definitely planning on doing some hiking, but does anyone have some local restaurant recommendations in the Denver/Parker areas? Any input would be great!

Hey, when were you secondary complete, just for reference?

My file has been complete since late August but my application status has yet to change. What's the typical timetable been for those who have heard back? I'm getting pretty antsy here!
Hopefully you've heard back by this point! I finished my application in the last week of October, got an interview invite 10 days later. I'm not sure how standardized their timetable is, but good luck!

Does anyone know if this school accepts "update letters" pre-interview? I have been complete since August and haven't heard anything. I have several things I have done since sending in my secondary application that I want to let them know about. My applicant tab is still there so I think that is a good sign??
Updates do help. From what I've seen, more competitive applicants receive interview invites more quickly. So if you've been waiting over a month for an interview invite, it couldn't hurt to enhance your application. It'll also encourage them to take another look at your app. Good luck!

Updates do help. From what I've seen, more competitive applicants receive interview invites more quickly. So if you've been waiting over a month for an interview invite, it couldn't hurt to enhance your application. It'll also encourage them to take another look at your app. Good luck!

I sent in an update letter and got an interview invite the next day. So if any of you are contemplating sending one, DO IT!!!!!! Interviewing 12/9! Super excited but nervous about the cold.... Can anyone talk about their interview experience? Thanks!

Does anyone know how full the class is and whether or not it's too late to send an app here? :(

I didn't bother applying here earlier because I read somewhere that the school greatly frowns upon retakes.

3.7 GPA/29 MCAT

Does anyone know how full the class is and whether or not it's too late to send an app here? :(

I didn't bother applying here earlier because I read somewhere that the school greatly frowns upon retakes.

3.7 GPA/29 MCAT
Usually by this point the class is 1/2 full - but that's based on my own experience over the last few cycles. I do not know the actual status of the class.
I don't know if the school frowns upon retakes, but I know that myself and a bunch of people in my class had retakes and still got accepted.

3.7 GPA/29 MCAT
The Class is currently half full. As far as retakes, it depends on how many and the circumstances.

I've been secondary complete since 26th of october. No reply let.

Is this normal?

For those of you who recently interviewed how did it go?! What did you think of the school?

Just withdrew my acceptance here as the upcoming deposit date approaches.

Best of luck to the rest of you - hope my withdrawal clears up a spot.

Does anyone know the best contact person/email in admission for questions about application statuses/issues? Thank you.

Crickets...

If you are serious about this school and want an update on the status of your application, contact admissions. Everyone is super friendly and helpful. If there is any information they can provide you, including a timeline of when you might expect to hear something, they will.

Did anyone else's acceptance tab disappear before they could make their deposit payments? My portal has changed to all student information (which is great and all but I haven't completed all of my pre-matriculation tasks).

Rejected pre-interview... thought I had a good shot with 506 and 3.8

Did anyone else's acceptance tab disappear before they could make their deposit payments? My portal has changed to all student information (which is great and all but I haven't completed all of my pre-matriculation tasks).

Thank goodness it was just not me. I'm trying to pay for my first deposit today and the "accepted tab" also disappeared on my portal. My deposit is due tomorrow, hopefully it's not because I have waited too long to submit a payment (however, matriculation agreement did say that it is due before or ON that day-Dec 14th). I guess I will just have to wait until tomorrow to call them.

Thank goodness it was just not me. I'm trying to pay for my first deposit today and the "accepted tab" also disappeared on my portal. My deposit is due tomorrow, hopefully it's not because I have waited too long to submit a payment (however, matriculation agreement did say that it is due before or ON that day-Dec 14th). I guess I will just have to wait until tomorrow to call them.

Same happened to me. Gonna call tomorrow if someone doesn't figure it out before me lol.

I recall there was mention of exposure to Anatomy&Physiology during my interview. Do they want us to have some exposure before matriculation? How well did anyone without previous A&P class do in their first year?

Just got the acceptance call!!!! So excited!!

Reactions: 2 users