Rosalind Franklin BMS 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should we attend BMS?

• Yes

Votes: 42 68.9%
  • NO

Votes: 19 31.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
@stran1989 Did you find out via email or a change in WebAdvisor?

Members don't see this ad.

My stats going into BMS were not considered traditional. Here's the kicker: sGPA 3.5, MCAT 22. Simply did not study effectively for the MCAT and thought I could still do well with unstructured studying. Borderline gpa from UCLA and extremely low MCAT score.

However, I did not let that mistake from my past hold me down when they gave me an opportunity to redeem myself at RFUMS. I studied my butt off and got mostly A's and B's, except for CMCB.

I finished with a 79.4% in Clinical Molecular Cell Biology; literally one test question away from getting a B. This was because I made a huge mistake by skipping the last page of the 1st combined exam (rookie mistake) Made another mistake on the 3rd combined exam by not reading the questions carefully (EXCEPT, NOT, etc.) and paid less attention to CMCB because I wanted to do as well as I could on the first Physio portion of the exam. Looking back at it, those two huge mistakes dropped me down from a solid B/potential A to a borderline C.

The rest of the year, I stayed focused and made less mistakes. The rest of my test scores from that point on were consistently 85% and above, curved. I did my best to show progression so that those two huge mistakes could be seen as flukes rather than defining examples of my capability.

I was also involved as much as possible without hurting my grades. This is not recommended because grades are most important, first and foremost. I did my best to balance my study schedule while participating in extracurriculars that were fun/meaningful for me; not just doing it for the heck of it. I would have burnt out early on if I didn't have fun/meaningful activities to relieve my stress so this was more of a personal decision to become involved.

Overall, I am stoked to be here at RFUMS and I'm sure that my genuine interest in this supportive community revealed itself during my CMS interview (December)

Take everything that I just said with a grain of salt because every individual will have a unique experience with their own story to tell. More importantly, none of us know how the admissions process works. We all make mistakes but what's more important is how we react to these situations. Do you give up or persevere? Mindset is extremely important throughout the year so make sure that you're ready to invest sweat and tears this coming year. It'll pay off when you receive that acceptance letter!

Anyway, I have to get back to studying. My year hasn't ended yet! Hope this helps!

Your story is very interesting and motivating. I wonder if I could ask for the notes, handouts and sample questions from previous/current BMSers before BMS starts.... How can I get them?

My stats going into BMS were not considered traditional. Here's the kicker: sGPA 3.5, MCAT 22. Simply did not study effectively for the MCAT and thought I could still do well with unstructured studying. Borderline gpa from UCLA and extremely low MCAT score.

However, I did not let that mistake from my past hold me down when they gave me an opportunity to redeem myself at RFUMS. I studied my butt off and got mostly A's and B's, except for CMCB.

I finished with a 79.4% in Clinical Molecular Cell Biology; literally one test question away from getting a B. This was because I made a huge mistake by skipping the last page of the 1st combined exam (rookie mistake) Made another mistake on the 3rd combined exam by not reading the questions carefully (EXCEPT, NOT, etc.) and paid less attention to CMCB because I wanted to do as well as I could on the first Physio portion of the exam. Looking back at it, those two huge mistakes dropped me down from a solid B/potential A to a borderline C.

The rest of the year, I stayed focused and made less mistakes. The rest of my test scores from that point on were consistently 85% and above, curved. I did my best to show progression so that those two huge mistakes could be seen as flukes rather than defining examples of my capability.

I was also involved as much as possible without hurting my grades. This is not recommended because grades are most important, first and foremost. I did my best to balance my study schedule while participating in extracurriculars that were fun/meaningful for me; not just doing it for the heck of it. I would have burnt out early on if I didn't have fun/meaningful activities to relieve my stress so this was more of a personal decision to become involved.

Overall, I am stoked to be here at RFUMS and I'm sure that my genuine interest in this supportive community revealed itself during my CMS interview (December)

Take everything that I just said with a grain of salt because every individual will have a unique experience with their own story to tell. More importantly, none of us know how the admissions process works. We all make mistakes but what's more important is how we react to these situations. Do you give up or persevere? Mindset is extremely important throughout the year so make sure that you're ready to invest sweat and tears this coming year. It'll pay off when you receive that acceptance letter!

Anyway, I have to get back to studying. My year hasn't ended yet! Hope this helps!

Did you get an email or is this based on webadvisor? I don't think webadvisor is an acceptance at this point...

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know whether I can submit my pre-health letter via u.s. mail? Can't find a mailing address for that, my school doesn't participate in sending letters via web.

@lebro @lesterbarley You're right. Webadvisor does not mean an acceptance.

Sorry guys. I retract my statement. Celebrated a little early there...However, everything that I said in the latter message still holds true (especially if I do matriculate *knocks on wood*) Do not make the same mistakes that I made.

And for those of you who would like notes to study beforehand, I will say the same thing that we were told by our M1A advisors. Enjoy your time off! You'll need the break before you hit the ground running this coming year. The future M1A class will provide these notes to you throughout the year.

Congratulations to everyone who was accepted into BMS this year and good luck to the rest of my cohort. Hopefully, I will join you guys this coming August to welcome the next BMS class!

Does anyone know if the 3 required letters of recommendation all need to come from professors we have taken course credit from? I'm going by what they wrote on the website: "Either one committee letter or three individual letters of recommendations from persons involved in the students’ previous educational experience are required."

If that's the case I'm screwed because I only have 2 professor LOR's and they are probably my weaker ones. Did anyone submit non-professor LOR's?

Does anyone know if the 3 required letters of recommendation all need to come from professors we have taken course credit from? I'm going by what they wrote on the website: "Either one committee letter or three individual letters of recommendations from persons involved in the students’ previous educational experience are required."

If that's the case I'm screwed because I only have 2 professor LOR's and they are probably my weaker ones. Did anyone submit non-professor LOR's?

When I applied to BMS, I submitted two letters from previous professors and one work-related letter. That was last year and I don't remember if the stipulations were the same. I would call the admissions office to make sure but I do not think that it would automatically eliminate you from the pool.

When I applied to BMS, I submitted two letters from previous professors and one work-related letter. That was last year and I don't remember if the stipulations were the same. I would call the admissions office to make sure but I do not think that it would automatically eliminate you from the pool.

Thanks! Just got off the phone with the admin office and they reiterated what you said.

Does anyone know whether I can submit my pre-health letter via u.s. mail? Can't find a mailing address for that, my school doesn't participate in sending letters via web.
Do you want to send it to RFU or RFUCAS? if it is RFUCAS it will be the same address as above if it is RFU it is in their website.

2nd wave went out today. We had a visit from adcoms during a class today notifying us that decisions would go out this week. Sure enough, 4 hours later I got an acceptance email from admissions! This is a great institution and I am more than proud to say I'll be part of the class of 2019. The BMS program was my one chance to make it, amazing program! I don't know how many others got in this wave, but will try to get a count.

Reactions: 1 users
2nd wave went out today. We had a visit from adcoms during a class today notifying us that decisions would go out this week. Sure enough, 4 hours later I got an acceptance email from admissions! This is a great institution and I am more than proud to say I'll be part of the class of 2019. The BMS program was my one chance to make it, amazing program! I don't know how many others got in this wave, but will try to get a count.
Congrats! What were your stats and how did you do in the program? if you don't mind me asking.

CGPA: 2.9, however last 90 units were 3.6, had a rough start. MCAT: 32. I had done research, no pubs though. Was involved in a couple EC's, had 2 shadowing experiences, and strong letters. So far in the BMS I earned a B in one of the M1 courses and am sitting at an A in the rest. For all the other courses, online/tips/hips I have A's.

Reactions: 1 user
Would is it too late to apply now?
High GPA, low MCAT

Members don't see this ad :)
got a call about acceptance a few hours ago! woot! sincere thank you to @Blob229 and @Nice Marmot for helping me on this thread for the past months, really appreciate the support.
Hopefully CMS gives out many many acceptances to the current BMS'ers.
Also should i start looking at apartments at Woodlands as of now? Do i have till May-ish to decide and be able to secure a spot or is it necessary to book asap?

Reactions: 2 users
any rejections from CMS? If so, what were their stats like?

What is the start date for BMS 2015? Does the program starts at August which date?

Future BMSers. A word of advice. Do not take Business as a track course unless you are really interested in it. It is too much work.

Future BMSers. A word of advice. Do not take Business as a track course unless you are really interested in it. It is too much work.
I'm not really interested at all, but I don't think it's that bad. Kind of time consuming , but it's all just easy but annoying busy work. All of the group projects are a pain in the ass, but not super difficult. Just my opinion though. Out of all of them, I think that the leadership track seems like it's the least amount of work.

any rejections from CMS? If so, what were their stats like?
I know that there were supposedly rejections the other day in the last round that they just did. I'm not sure who, or what there stats were though. Sorry.

shoot i'm in the business track -_-

is it possible to switch out?

You can switch out before the program starts. Dr. Riblon wont let you do it once classes begin.

The business track is not hard. There is occasionally a time consuming (group) project, which is annoying because it takes time away from studying, but my understanding is that every track has these. We just currently have one of those time consuming projects due this Sunday and our next exam is Monday, so it seems worse than it is.

The business track is not hard. There is occasionally a time consuming (group) project, which is annoying because it takes time away from studying, but my understanding is that every track has these. We just currently have one of those time consuming projects due this Sunday and our next exam is Monday, so it seems worse than it is.

Everybody has their opinion. But majority in the program will agree that the business track course is more time consuming than other track classes offered. If your sole purpose at BMS is to do well in the program then try to avoid the business track course (unless you are interested). IMO

I would have to disagree, it seems from my group of friends that they're about the same length. If you're good at writing papers, do leadership or public health. If you hate writing papers (like I do), do business, that's my $0.02. If I had to choose again, I would do business in a heartbeat.

I would have to disagree, it seems from my group of friends that they're about the same length. If you're good at writing papers, do leadership or public health. If you hate writing papers (like I do), do business, that's my $0.02. If I had to choose again, I would do business in a heartbeat.
how are you assessed in the business track? multiple choice tests since you don't get papers like the leadership/public health tracks?

how are you assessed in the business track? multiple choice tests since you don't get papers like the leadership/public health tracks?

You have papers and projects business related. For the projects, you work with a team and they are due every Sunday. Its a pain in the ass because its difficult to get the whole team to work together and often some people contribute more than others. And since its an online class we are not allowed to meet in person unless everybody in the group is present. Many students don't even live on campus.
Business is definitely doable. I just find it very time consuming compared to other track classes. For example, business track has two posts due every week whereas public health only has one. And yes public health has papers but you don't have to depend on other people to get your assignment done.

Hey everyone! I'm an admitted BMS student for the fall, but I one major question that I cannot find the answer to.

Is RFU BMS only good for getting into RFUMS? Not that I wouldn't go, I'd jump at ANY med school acceptance. However, I am a Michigan resident and my top choice medical school is MSUCOM. Basically, if I do the full year of BMS and apply to OTHER med schools the following cycle, do you think this program is reputable enough to do GPA repaird and get me into another school? I relly don't want to pass up my acceptance because it seems like one of the strongest linkages out there, I just really have my heart set on MSUCOM.

Hey everyone! I'm an admitted BMS student for the fall, but I one major question that I cannot find the answer to.

Is RFU BMS only good for getting into RFUMS? Not that I wouldn't go, I'd jump at ANY med school acceptance. However, I am a Michigan resident and my top choice medical school is MSUCOM. Basically, if I do the full year of BMS and apply to OTHER med schools the following cycle, do you think this program is reputable enough to do GPA repaird and get me into another school? I relly don't want to pass up my acceptance because it seems like one of the strongest linkages out there, I just really have my heart set on MSUCOM.

BMS has a history of strong linkage with CMS, as you've pointed out. It looks like that is continuing this year, based on early waves, but it's too early to say exactly how strong. So, if you perform well it has a good chance of getting you into a US MD school (CMS), particularly if you are a low GPA/high MCAT (or vice versa) applicant.

As for GPA repair for OTHER medical schools, it will not directly affect your undergrad AMCAS GPA, since you will only be enrolled in graduate level courses. So, it will not directly repair for uGPA. (This is kind of a moot point, since your AMCAS GPA will be calculated before you have any BMS grades.) (I don't know the specifics for the DO school AMCAS equivalent, but I imagine it's similar?)

Whether or not BMS looks good or helps with applications to other schools, I'm not sure, but there are probably other people on here who may know. I can't imagine attending a masters program HURTS your application though, assuming you don't perform poorly, but that should be given.

Did you apply to MSUCOM this cycle?

Accepted into the BMS program a few days ago!

There are no exams in the business track. (I don't think there are for any of the tracks, it's all projects, papers, presentations - online).

Every online class revolves around "discussion posts." A significant portion (sometimes the majority) of your grade is usually from weekly discussion posts. You make a post based on that week's reading early in the week and reply to two other students' posts by the end of the week. Sometimes you have to do two of these concurrently each week (this quarter), or two classes that each require one (winter), if I remember correctly, fall just had one. These are, in my experience, graded entirely on completion, assuming your posts are on topic.

There is often some sort of weekly assignment or step of a project. Most of these are not time consuming, although there are a few notable exceptions. Expect once or twice per quarter to have something bigger, but these are only annoying when they fall right before an exam. I believe this is the case with every track, though. Again, my experience with projects and assignments is that they are graded very leniently, mostly focused on completion and actually doing what they ask. (Obvious exceptions are accounting and stats - your numbers need to be correct, but they have examples and you will have a lot of friends in the same class, if you get stuck.)

None of it is hard, but it's a little time consuming sometimes, since it's so different from the basic science stuff you spend most of your time studying/thinking about. I wouldn't worry about it, everyone has to do one of the tracks and no one track seems to do particularly better or worse on the rest of the BMS coursework.

You have papers and projects business related. For the projects, you work with a team and they are due every Sunday. Its a pain in the ass because its difficult to get the whole team to work together and often some people contribute more than others. And since its an online class we are not allowed to meet in person unless everybody in the group is present. Many students don't even live on campus.
Business is definitely doable. I just find it very time consuming compared to other track classes. For example, business track has two posts due every week whereas public health only has one. And yes public health has papers but you don't have to depend on other people to get your assignment done.

I agree about the online group projects, I don't like them at all. What's worked well for my groups is to divide up the work at the beginning and make each person responsible for a different week or portion of the work. That way it's kind of like a bunch of individual assignments and you might get a couple weeks off, other than helping out if teammates ask for something and general proofreading, etc...

I just think that in general, the kind of work that people do in the leadership and public health would be more time consuming more me, personally, (more, longer papers, etc...) but I'll admit that I don't know their curriculum THAT well. At the end of the day, every track will have annoying aspects that take away from your basic science classes, but they're not that bad overall, IMO.

BMS has a history of strong linkage with CMS, as you've pointed out. It looks like that is continuing this year, based on early waves, but it's too early to say exactly how strong. So, if you perform well it has a good chance of getting you into a US MD school (CMS), particularly if you are a low GPA/high MCAT (or vice versa) applicant.

As for GPA repair for OTHER medical schools, it will not directly affect your undergrad AMCAS GPA, since you will only be enrolled in graduate level courses. So, it will not directly repair for uGPA. (This is kind of a moot point, since your AMCAS GPA will be calculated before you have any BMS grades.) (I don't know the specifics for the DO school AMCAS equivalent, but I imagine it's similar?)

Whether or not BMS looks good or helps with applications to other schools, I'm not sure, but there are probably other people on here who may know. I can't imagine attending a masters program HURTS your application though, assuming you don't perform poorly, but that should be given.

Did you apply to MSUCOM this cycle?
I have not applied to medical school before, but will be applying to MSUCOM as well as several other DO schools this cycle. Without a full year of new science coursework, I don't really have a shot at an MD program, so RFU is likely the only MD I will apply to this cycle if I choose to go to the BMS program.

I have not applied to medical school before, but will be applying to MSUCOM as well as several other DO schools this cycle. Without a full year of new science coursework, I don't really have a shot at an MD program, so RFU is likely the only MD I will apply to this cycle if I choose to go to the BMS program.

So, you'd be applying to MSUCOM and other DO schools while in BMS, if you decide to attend? That wasn't uncommon this year.

What's your question, exactly? Whether or not to do BMS?

So, you'd be applying to MSUCOM and other DO schools while in BMS, if you decide to attend? That wasn't uncommon this year.

What's your question, exactly? Whether or not to do BMS?
Right, yeah! Haha I don't really know what my question is.. I guess I just heard that the BMS program will only help you get into their school. My other option is Wayne State BMS, which is viewed pretty well at Michign med schools.

I would assume BMS looks good at other med schools since you are taking med student coursework. Also, I remember reading that the director of the program will write you an update letter for your applications to other med schools

i 'think' they don't care. take a look through last years BMS thread 2014/2015.

Question about RFUCAS since I've been seeing some conflicting information. Are we required to input just our prerequisite courses or every course on our transcript?

Question about RFUCAS since I've been seeing some conflicting information. Are we required to input just our prerequisite courses or every course on our transcript?
you're supposed to input every single course you've ever taken exactly as it's written on your transcript(s).

Is anyone looking for a roommate for the fall? I am a 23 y/o gal from Michigan, and I want to live in the Woodlands!

Georgetown SMP vs Rosalind Franklin BMS? Are any of you deciding between the two? Why would you choose one over the other? Any sort of insight would be helpful!

Georgetown SMP vs Rosalind Franklin BMS? Are any of you deciding between the two? Why would you choose one over the other? Any sort of insight would be helpful!

If it were me I'd pick Rosalind Franklin BMS in a heartbeat. For one, it's cheaper for tuition and cost of living and two, it has a better linkage to its med school. At Georgetown only 50% get an interview, if I'm not mistaken, whereas everyone in BMS gets an interview. Also, according to Georgetown's website, only about 15% get in every year to their med school whereas BMS has historically had greater than 50% success matriculating into CMS and it doesn't look like that's changing anytime soon. I'm a current BMSer who got into CMS and there's about 20-25 of us who have gotten in already. The bulk of the acceptances has yet to come out as well. Lastly, if you are able to do well in the SMP at Georgetown and matriculate to Georgetown med, you will be attending a more reputable med school which would make you a more competitive candidate for competitive residencies down the road. If you truly believe that you will be part of the 15% that will get in at Georgetown med, that might be something to think about.

If it were me I'd pick Rosalind Franklin BMS in a heartbeat. For one, it's cheaper for tuition and cost of living and two, it has a better linkage to its med school. At Georgetown only 50% get an interview, if I'm not mistaken, whereas everyone in BMS gets an interview. Also, according to Georgetown's website, only about 15% get in every year to their med school whereas BMS has historically had greater than 50% success matriculating into CMS and it doesn't look like that's changing anytime soon. I'm a current BMSer who got into CMS and there's about 20-25 of us who have gotten in already. The bulk of the acceptances has yet to come out as well. Lastly, if you are able to do well in the SMP at Georgetown and matriculate to Georgetown med, you will be attending a more reputable med school which would make you a more competitive candidate for competitive residencies down the road. If you truly believe that you will be part of the 15% that will get in at Georgetown med, that might be something to think about.

How strong does your AMCAS have to be to get into CMS through BMS?

How strong does your AMCAS have to be to get into CMS through BMS?

I would have to say this depends on your performance in BMS. If you get only A's, do ECC activities, interview well, and make a good impression with people everywhere (you'll hear the phrase "year-long interview" a lot), you are more than likely to get in regardless of your past. Now... if you have a super MCAT and/or GPA and/or were an olympic shot-putter or something, you might get away with a few more strikes (a B here and there).

Someone once told me "getting into med school is like winning the lottery, all you can do is buy as many tickets as you can" Point being, more "good things" in your app the better. Best of luck!

I would have to say this depends on your performance in BMS. If you get only A's, do ECC activities, interview well, and make a good impression with people everywhere (you'll hear the phrase "year-long interview" a lot), you are more than likely to get in regardless of your past. Now... if you have a super MCAT and/or GPA and/or were an olympic shot-putter or something, you might get away with a few more strikes (a B here and there).

Someone once told me "getting into med school is like winning the lottery, all you can do is buy as many tickets as you can" Point being, more "good things" in your app the better. Best of luck!
Lithium, can you give us all a little bit of insight to your experience thus far, and some tips for doing well/setting yourself up in the best position to get into CMS? Also, if you don't mind, I'd love it if you could share your stats before entering the BMS program. I'm an accepted student having a tough time making my decision. Thank you!

Lithium, can you give us all a little bit of insight to your experience thus far, and some tips for doing well/setting yourself up in the best position to get into CMS? Also, if you don't mind, I'd love it if you could share your stats before entering the BMS program. I'm an accepted student having a tough time making my decision. Thank you!
So I'm gonna tag this with a disclaimer: I got into CMS. Obviously my opinion will be different because of it.

That being said, I think it's a difficult and at times very frustrating program. But if you keep your head in the game and get good grades on the medical school courses, I think it is worth it. Classes are tough - tougher than anything I've experienced. The non-medical school courses are very time consuming (TiPs and Online courses... TiPS has a lot of quizzes and tests, often on difficult topics that aren't always related to what you're learning in Medical Physiology). The online courses are very tedious and never as good as they sound (I actually had the naive hope that I would enjoy/benefit from my track selection). That being said, online courses are easy As (for my track at least).

Obviously the program works for a significant # of BMS students. Whether or not it works for you depends on a lot of things; luck (sometimes people bomb/ace a particular exam worth more or less, etc), timing, amount of work you put in (some people put 5-10 hours a day in at the library, get comfortable with that idea), how likable you are to profs, how involved you are, etc.

I don't want to post my stats, it would make me easily identifiable (my situation is slightly unique). If you really REALLY need to know (which I don't think you do, it's not relevant to how YOU will do) PM me. I will tell you that as of now, most people (as far as I know) had something reasonably competitive on their past app (MCAT and/or GPA). But the year is not over, the admissions cycle is not over. And it doesn't matter if you get in first wave or tenth.

EDIT: also, I know very little about other SMP's so I wouldn't know what's best for you.

So I'm gonna tag this with a disclaimer: I got into CMS. Obviously my opinion will be different because of it.

That being said, I think it's a difficult and at times very frustrating program. But if you keep your head in the game and get good grades on the medical school courses, I think it is worth it. Classes are tough - tougher than anything I've experienced. The non-medical school courses are very time consuming (TiPs and Online courses... TiPS has a lot of quizzes and tests, often on difficult topics that aren't always related to what you're learning in Medical Physiology). The online courses are very tedious and never as good as they sound (I actually had the naive hope that I would enjoy/benefit from my track selection). That being said, online courses are easy As (for my track at least).

Obviously the program works for a significant # of BMS students. Whether or not it works for you depends on a lot of things; luck (sometimes people bomb/ace a particular exam worth more or less, etc), timing, amount of work you put in (some people put 5-10 hours a day in at the library, get comfortable with that idea), how likable you are to profs, how involved you are, etc.

I don't want to post my stats, it would make me easily identifiable (my situation is slightly unique). If you really REALLY need to know (which I don't think you do, it's not relevant to how YOU will do) PM me. I will tell you that as of now, most people (as far as I know) had something reasonably competitive on their past app (MCAT and/or GPA). But the year is not over, the admissions cycle is not over. And it doesn't matter if you get in first wave or tenth.

EDIT: also, I know very little about other SMP's so I wouldn't know what's best for you.

In regards to stats I'll tell you what I always heard going into the program, If you had good enough stats/AMCAS stuff to get into BMS, you have good enough stats to get into CMS. If you do well, meaning getting at least high B's in all your classes, you will more likely than not get into CMS

Hey Guys,

For RFUCAS under experiences section did u guys just list your experience like one does for a resume with short descriptions or did you write out paragraphs essay style for everything? Thanks!

Hey Guys,

For RFUCAS under experiences section did u guys just list your experience like one does for a resume with short descriptions or did you write out paragraphs essay style for everything? Thanks!
I just wrote brief descriptions, definitely no essay style and i got into bms so it couldn't have been terrible.

could you elaborate on 'year-long interview'? it sounds awful - i'm gonna get real tired of people kissing ass for 10 months of the year.
I thought CMS did MMI interviews now which should have less bias when it comes to evaluating applicants during the interview?