rosalind franklin BMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idunno666

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of the BMS program? If you maintain above a 3.0 gpa what are your chances of actually getting in the med school? Has anyone ever been in this prog, or know anyone whose tried it?

sorry if this topic has been done b4

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard of the BMS program? If you maintain above a 3.0 gpa what are your chances of actually getting in the med school? Has anyone ever been in this prog, or know anyone whose tried it?

sorry if this topic has been done b4

Isn't Rosalind Franklin an MD medical school? If so, you might want to get this moved over to pre-allo bc people will probably know more over there.

Is it a SMP? I think there is a board for that too. Probably some people who are in it right now are on there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I expect that nobody's in this RFU program because it just started. RFU had an SMP for years, and then it stopped being offered, and apparently now it's back.

There are almost 30 special masters programs now, where you can spend a year or more improving your credentials for med school. See the postbac forum for oodles of info.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=71

i almost went to this and decided not to.

btw, you are not GUARANTEED a spot, you only have an increased chance.. they accept about 50% of their students from that program or something high lke that.

Yep, as you'll see in the postbac thread, doing an SMP is a last-ditch effort. You have to be at the top of your class to get any linkage or advantage. If you don't do well in an SMP, you're not going to med school.

in conclusion, dont do this. its a very bad idea, very expensive and very risky

Although this thread really belongs in the Pre-MD threads, I'll just respond here. This program actually started in Fall 2006. The last year of the Applied Physiology program, which was the SMP at RFU prior to the BMS was Fall 2005. During the AP SMP, if you had a 3.0 you would automatically be accepted into CMS the following year. They changed the program to BMS and instead made it a guaranteed interview only if you were applying to the school for admission the following year. I don't remember the stats exactly but you might fight some archived threads regarding the AP program and the BMS program prior to it starting and during its first year. I have many friends that were in the AP program that started in Fall 04 and Fall 05 and if I can recall correctly about 80% or higher from that program got into the med school the following year.

During the first year of the BMS program, a little over 90 started and over the months students just started to drop out of the program. Some students dropped out because they were accepted to schools within the first few weeks of school, did not pass some of the first few exams and voluntarily dropped out, or failed a class or classes. By the end of the year, about 60 students were left in the program. From what I heard over the summer, around 30 got in and many more were waitlisted. About 5 of my friends that ended up being waitlisted did not get in by the time classes started in Fall 07. There were more that were on the WL that didnt get in, but also after talking to one of my friends that goes there now some people got off that WL and into CMS. The friends/classmates that did get in (acceptances were given out starting February), had all A's and B's in the classes, and a few had a C in MCB but balanced it out with an A in Physio or other classes with some B's.

Although I did not get in, I still feel as though I learned a lot from that program and it prepared me for med school. Even though I had to move practically across the country just to go to RFU and then move back, I do not think it was a waste. It does cost a lot of money so take that into consideration. My advice is don't get any C's! If anything, that is probably what hurt many of us. Although some got C's they balanced it out with awesome grades in the other classes and they did get in.

You take classes with med students like Physio, Molecular Cell Bio, Neuroscience, Embryology, Biochemistry, and other classes or electives depending on which concentration you choose. They have changed the program a bit the 2nd year, so definitely check out the BMS website and if you have more questions try talking to Dr. Gordon Pullen who is the director of the program. He may be able to give you the acceptance stats of the 1st BMS class.

It's definitely a risk, but your chances will be much higher if you do very well in the program...and that is not easy nor is med school. BTW, students that got into CMS also got into other med schools in NY and AZ.

Sorry if this is a really long post. Hope it helps. :)