rosalind franklin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have also been complete a long while (Oct 4) and haven't received ANY info yet, not even the 'passed the initial screening' email. I sent an update letter on Dec 20...has anyone complete around my time frame heard back yet, or are they just really backed up?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't be surprised. There were over 13,000 applications last year.

So you ended up going to Rosalind? I'm retaking the MCAT in April and applying as soon as I can. Here's to hoping it will happen second time around!!!!

So you ended up going to Rosalind? I'm retaking the MCAT in April and applying as soon as I can. Here's to hoping it will happen second time around!!!!

yep, and im having a pretty good time so far. tons of awesome people here. good luck this time around.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have also been complete a long while (Oct 4) and haven't received ANY info yet, not even the 'passed the initial screening' email. I sent an update letter on Dec 20...has anyone complete around my time frame heard back yet, or are they just really backed up?

I've been complete since October 31st and I haven't heard anything so I called this Thursday. They told me that I passed the screening for interview invites, but it doesn't guarantee an invite. :rolleyes:

I've been complete since October 31st and I haven't heard anything so I called this Thursday. They told me that I passed the screening for interview invites, but it doesn't guarantee an invite. :rolleyes:

Hmm, can you only call them on Thursdays? I have an interview this Thursday, but I'd really like some sort of feedback from them. It seems like it's been awhile since they sent out any rejections...

Is it true that the adcom meetings happen on the monday of the third week of the month? My interview was in late Nov and I haven't heard anything yet.

How many tests are there per week or per month (not including block)?

Is it true that the adcom meetings happen on the monday of the third week of the month? My interview was in late Nov and I haven't heard anything yet.

That's nothing. My interview was early October and still no word. When I emailed them in Dec, they told me that they hadn't made a decision on me. :confused:

How many applicants are there this year?

yeah I heard from RF...rejected!! too bad I have another acceptance already from a school w/ better stats, lol. jeez, how weird!

I called yesterday to check my status ( had been complete since October) and they said I should be receiving correspondence from them...via snail mail :(.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mmmmmd, the sent letter mail could be one of the three things (acceptance, waitlist, or rejection). They notify acceptance through snail mail (no email or phone calls ) this year so it could be a good thing.

Sultana, I know what you mean. It is really random sometimes, but I heard things are going to be different in that it is getting much more competitive to get into RFUMS. 1) more applicants 2) stopped allowing people to get in through the "prove yourself" program. The following piece of information is unofficial but the admissions committee and med students at CMS are projecting class of 2012's incoming stats to be an avg. of 30-31 MCAT and 3.5-3.6 gpa. More and more people realize the exceptional matchlists/board scores of CMS/ very good 3rd 4th year clinical rotation at downtown chicago but then again this trend could very well reflect most medical schools throughout US as result of a larger applicant pool to sift through.

2011's avg MCAT was a 31. No clue as to the avg. GPA. Trend is also towards accepting more Illinois students (not saying you have a bad chance if you're from somewhere else).

Thanks Boblazar, I think the later in jan it gets, the more neurotic I get about these sorts of things. I was just complete in oct though, I haven't interviewed, do they give invites via snail mail, or am I just waiting for a rejection letter?

How many tests are there per week or per month (not including block)?

M2 at RFU here. I'll bookmark this thread and try to field as many questions as I can when I am bored or tired of studying.

First year has 3 sets of midterms and three sets of finals. So your looking at a week of tests (numbering from 3-6) about every 5 weeks.

Second year only has midterms during the first trimester. Last two trimesters we only have finals.

there is really no rhyme or reason to adcom meetings as far as I know. Good luck!

I'll also tackle the "former probationary status" question:

"Was RFU on probationary status with the LCME?" Yes. For about a year. It was removed in 2005

"Why was the school on probation?" You'll get a different answer depending on who your ask. The most ill informed of which is it was because of academic issues. This I can guarantee was not the case. If you don't believe me look at our match list or our step 1 scores (above the national average every year).

From what I understand, the probation had to do with the fact that many of our faculty researchers were not getting enough grant money to fund their research and their funding was coming from, in a large part, student tuition.

The other possible reason is there was an embezzlement issue involving new construction at the university a few years back. Those responsible were fired and are currently facing charges.

At my interview they told us that we will hear from them by snail mail.

And we are of course welcome to call them, but there are three things they are forbidden to tell us on the phone: date of the meeting, anything that was said in the meetings, or the accepted/rejected status.

Oh also, one of the students said don't be scared if you get a skinny little envelope, because usually rejections don't come for a looooong time because they hold on to you and let people in as slots open up. She herself had interviewed in April actually.

:)

lavender,

when did you interview? and how did it go?

Just this month, in January!
I think it went well, at least I hope it did... :rolleyes:

My interviewers were so nice and they made me feel comfortable. It wasn't stressful at all, and the whole school just has this great "community" vibe that I like a lot. Students popped into our room all day and sat with us, answering any questions we had. And our student guides were really enthusiastic about the school as well. All in all, it was a good day!!

Does any one know when CMS interviews until and when is the last time they offer interviews?

Thanks Mperor for the information. I think it is important for premeds to know as much as they can about the school and also for people who have interviewed at RFUMS to not simply regard the school as a "safety" . To be honest I was once like that but then after doing some research and comparing many schools I realized RFUMS is quite exceptional and also still on the upward trend. I am very fortunate to have received multiple acceptances, and I am equally proud to say I will be part of CMS Class of 2012.

I was just wondering - Do people do well on boards at RFUMS mainly because of the teaching or because the students who matriculate happen to study for board more vigorously and competitively during these recent years. I know it may be a bit of both but I keep receiving information that the school "preps you really well for boards" and am wondering whether or not the curriculum + emphasis of lectures will make that much of difference from school to school. Alot of people always say its up to you whether or not you want to study really hard and do well on boards but most med students have the same mentality of persistence and most use the same First Aid, BRS, High-yield prep books. I guess what I am trying to ask is does the teaching differ that much from other schools that they give rfums students some type of preparation advantage on boards, and if so how?

Thanks Mperor for the information. I think it is important for premeds to know as much as they can about the school and also for people who have interviewed at RFUMS to not simply regard the school as a "safety" . To be honest I was once like that but then after doing some research and comparing many schools I realized RFUMS is quite exceptional and also still on the upward trend. I am very fortunate to have received multiple acceptances, and I am equally proud to say I will be part of CMS Class of 2012.

I was just wondering - Do people do well on boards at RFUMS mainly because of the teaching or because the students who matriculate happen to study for board more vigorously and competitively during these recent years. I know it may be a bit of both but I keep receiving information that the school "preps you really well for boards" and am wondering whether or not the curriculum + emphasis of lectures will make that much of difference from school to school. Alot of people always say its up to you whether or not you want to study really hard and do well on boards but most med students have the same mentality of persistence and most use the same First Aid, BRS, High-yield prep books. I guess what I am trying to ask is does the teaching differ that much from other schools that they give rfums students some type of preparation advantage on boards, and if so how?

id say its a combo of curriculum and working hard. two of the professors write board review books (biochem and pathology) and other professors are constantly making comments like "this WILL show up on the boards"

thanks maybeadoc.

do many students live far at least 9-10 miles away from RFU and commute everyday? i am thinking about living somewhere in between downtown and rfu because it seems nicer but i heard commute might be horrible.

is going to class or studying on your own the most efficient method for the majority of the classes?

thx in advance

thanks maybeadoc.

do many students live far at least 9-10 miles away from RFU and commute everyday? i am thinking about living somewhere in between downtown and rfu because it seems nicer but i heard commute might be horrible.

is going to class or studying on your own the most efficient method for the majority of the classes?

thx in advance

Most of our rotations are downtown. Soooo, I'd say live on campus or very close the first two years and then move downtown for the final two years. That's what most people do.

Best way to study is whatever method you used in undergrad. Biggest difference is the volume of material. So if you won't keep up by studying on your own, I'd suggest not missing many classes.

Does any one know when CMS interviews until and when is the last time they offer interviews?

Don't quote me, but the sheet I saw for this year's interview schedule had the last interview date during the first week of May.

Anybody get a RFU January acceptance yet?

Ditto here..have you sent them anything or had any other contact with them?

You know, I was thinking about sending them another email to ask...but then, I decided to wait. I did send them an email in December. I thought sending them again in January seemed a bit annoying, no? I'll probably send a status check email once February rolls by.

Are you going to send them an update letter? I really want to...but I don't have anything to update them about. (I could mention that I actually performed CPR & the patient was resuscitated, but then, is that even THAT big of a deal to the adcom? probably not, huh...)

Hang in there, PlayMeSomeMusic~! I'm waiting to hear of your acceptance to RFU~.

You know, I was thinking about sending them another email to ask...but then, I decided to wait. I did send them an email in December. I thought sending them again in January seemed a bit annoying, no? I'll probably send a status check email once February rolls by.

Are you going to send them an update letter? I really want to...but I don't have anything to update them about. (I could mention that I actually performed CPR & the patient was resuscitated, but then, is that even THAT big of a deal to the adcom? probably not, huh...)

Hang in there, PlayMeSomeMusic~! I'm waiting to hear of your acceptance to RFU~.

Thanks hopefully you hear some good news soon too! I really liked the school.. But as far as contact I did email them about my status check in November and not since. I might try again.. and I also sent a LOI(interest) that they emailed me back and said was added to my file..

I am kind of in your situation in that I don't have much to update them on.. (very cool about the CPR incident) seeing as I'm just working full time and doing the same volunteer stuff.. My interviewer also said to be patient and sometimes it takes until March when they have to have their class filled (an amcas thing) so that I might not hear right away.. I was hoping I would though..

Good luck to you too and if you hear anything definitely keep us posted! :D

That's nothing. My interview was early October and still no word. When I emailed them in Dec, they told me that they hadn't made a decision on me. :confused:

Hey congrats on your MCW acceptance!

I was probably in the same group with you in RFU back in Oct. You remember the asian guy who discussed with you about migrain and stuff?

They are really nice to me -- I got accepted on 10/19, and to this day I'm still thankful :)

The most important acceptance is always your first, isn't it?

And good luck to everyone!

id say its a combo of curriculum and working hard. two of the professors write board review books (biochem and pathology) and other professors are constantly making comments like "this WILL show up on the boards"

I am going to concur and lean a little more towards the work ethic of the students. A lot of the M2s from last year I talked to did not even attend classes and used that time to take a broader approach towards the subject material and they had great board scores. While I am not endorsing any one particular prep method, I really think that success for most medical students, anywhere, is going to rely on what they do outside the lecture hall.

Hey congrats on your MCW acceptance!

I was probably in the same group with you in RFU back in Oct. You remember the asian guy who discussed with you about migrain and stuff?

They are really nice to me -- I got accepted on 10/19, and to this day I'm still thankful :)

The most important acceptance is always your first, isn't it?

And good luck to everyone!

Of course I remember you~! Hahaha! But do you *really* remember me since there were *two* asian girls discussing migraines? Hahaha. J/k j/k. Well, congrats on your acceptance to RFU! It's a very, very nice school~, indeed. If I do end up going to MCW (which I most likely will), and if you do end up going to RFU (not sure about your other acceptances), I'm sure we'll cross many paths since RFU is right between MCW and Chicago! :thumbup: Once again, CONGRATS!!!

Of course I remember you~! Hahaha! But do you *really* remember me since there were *two* asian girls discussing migraines? Hahaha. J/k j/k. Well, congrats on your acceptance to RFU! It's a very, very nice school~, indeed. If I do end up going to MCW (which I most likely will), and if you do end up going to RFU (not sure about your other acceptances), I'm sure we'll cross many paths since RFU is right between MCW and Chicago! :thumbup: Once again, CONGRATS!!!

Wouldn't it be even better if we both go to RFU? :D

In fact RFU has been my sole acceptance since the very day they accepted me -- this is why I have been so thankful, you know, being able to carry a big smile in my heart every single day for the last 3 months.

I am still waiting on several other schools' decisions so we'll see.

Oh, for the sake of our plan, at least put RFU in your FAFSA, will you? :p

Are RFU interviews still going out? Uptil when should I wait before I give up hope?

Wouldn't it be even better if we both go to RFU? :D

In fact RFU has been my sole acceptance since the very day they accepted me -- this is why I have been so thankful, you know, being able to carry a big smile in my heart every single day for the last 3 months.

I am still waiting on several other schools' decisions so we'll see.

Oh, for the sake of our plan, at least put RFU in your FAFSA, will you? :p

Of course it would be AWESOME if we could both go to RFU~. We'll be awesome classmates/study buddies. I'm just thinking of the worst-case scenario here, you know. :oops:

BTW, is it possible to add more schools once you file your fafsa? I guess I'll try now since you mentioned it. :p

I called AdCom today. they told me the same thing...
i went through primary screening and should wait for my interview or reject.
and no need to call, they said.
well, keeping fingers crossed... :)

Again thanks for the responses =)!

I have another question, actually several. What is the ECR from 1-4pm after classes? and small physiology groups? I was checking out the curriculum at RFUMS main site and noticed the different color ECR teams. Is a typical day at CMS 8 am - 12 pm.

I've been complete since August...no word yet. I called, and I have apparently passed the primary screening... They interview until April, so I guess I only have a few more months to wait...;)

Again thanks for the responses =)!

I have another question, actually several. What is the ECR from 1-4pm after classes? and small physiology groups? I was checking out the curriculum at RFUMS main site and noticed the different color ECR teams. Is a typical day at CMS 8 am - 12 pm.

A typical day is lecture from 8-12.
In the afternoons you can have usually 1 of 3 things. Histology lab, Anatomy Lab, or ECR. ECR is a clinical reasoning class where you practice doing physical exams. You only go on your groups day (by color), so it usually ends up being once every 2 weeks. Histo Lab is on the computer and can be done at home if you want. Anatomy lab varies, but usually lasts 2-3 hours. Other afternoons there can be nothing at all, which is obviously nice. Small physio groups are just basically TA sessions where they will go over problem sets with you.

A typical day is lecture from 8-12.
In the afternoons you can have usually 1 of 3 things. Histology lab, Anatomy Lab, or ECR. ECR is a clinical reasoning class where you practice doing physical exams. You only go on your groups day (by color), so it usually ends up being once every 2 weeks. Histo Lab is on the computer and can be done at home if you want. Anatomy lab varies, but usually lasts 2-3 hours. Other afternoons there can be nothing at all, which is obviously nice. Small physio groups are just basically TA sessions where they will go over problem sets with you.

Wow, that is really nice. There is more time to study on your own then.

I was reading in the allopathic section and it seems like students from other schools (including top 25) need to study alot of microbiology and pharmacology for boards on their own since their schools did not prepare them well enough for it ( famed professor more interested in lecturing about his or her own research and test on them). I was wondering if CMS students also have to study independently from their course in year 2 for boards or most of the lectures and test align really well with review of step 1 (for micro and pharm). I'm assuming any additional time CMS M2 have is spent reviewing (not learning never seen before material) year 1+2 material that might be on step 1? Again, thanks for the responses.

CMS white acceptance letter is small and its easily mistaken for a rejection letter. so when you guys get a small letter from CMS, brace yourselves :beat::beat::beat::beat::beat::beat:

does anyone know whether people get off the pre interview hold at CMS? i got the email sometime ago and I am wondering if i should keep up hopes for an interview ?

I have the same question as the former poster. The RFU Admissions staff member said that after the initial screening the best outcome is to be placed in the possible interview pool. However, since that date I haven't seen or heard of any interviews being given to applicants with the email re: pool for interviews. Someone must know more than we do.

Jamaicandoc and Mother, as far as I know they are still interviewing applicants all the way until mid February (according to their bar graph on their site). Things may be different this year though. I haven't really heard anything. This whole process is really random so good luck :).