Rowan University (RowanSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Um can't know for sure until the online system is up August 1st. :shrug:
In the email they are def. separate.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It depends on the format of the online system. I am assuming you probably cannot do this because you will be given 2 separate text fields so you would be forced to leave one blank. The best bet is to give admissions a call and ask if they will take the format you have this year. They are wonderful over there and definitely willing to answer all your questions.

Also thanks on the quick response guys! I probably will not write the entire 750 words either but was unsure if they intended it to be for all the questions together or separately. 750 words altogether did not seem too ridiculous either so I thought I would ask before spending time on this.

Applying OOS as well.

Does anyone know what the character/word limit was on last year's secondaries? Below are the prompts, and I think current students recommended writing one essay that answered both questions.

1. Explain the process by which you decided that osteopathic medicine was right for you?

2. How does the osteopathic profession fit into your professional goals and values?
Last year for us, it was a maximum of two pages double spaced for each essay.

Members don't see this ad :)
To those that are interested, I know some of you are curious about what a daily life looks like and I encourage you to call admissions to see if you can set up a day to shadow one of the 1st or 2nd years. That would be a great way to see what our school is like and what the atmosphere is like.

Hi,

How does the osteopathic profession fit into your professional goals and values?

What does the second question really mean?

Like how can I rephrase this question in order to understand it better?
What are they looking for in this question?

Haha, elegantly stated. It is split between the two questions though so I can see the confusion. The first question is asking how you came to the conclusion that DO was right for you and the second question is asking why is it right for you. At least this is my interpretation on the questions.

So the first question might call for an essay that highlights,

1: Your experiences with a DO while shadowing.
2: Programs you participated at an osteopathic school that peaked your interest.
3: Grew up with a DO as their primary care physician.
4: Parents are a DO.

The second question might call for more details on,

1: Your personal connection with the DO philosophy
2: An interest in primary care that would be fulfilled more closely through the osteopathic profession.
3: An interest in OMM and its applications to your specialty of interest.
4: Perhaps even a connection with the area around Stratford that the might connect you more tightly with Rowan SOM over another non DO school, but of course you should not neglect your connection with the DO philosophy or this will possibly kill you. There is nothing worse than your sole reason to attend a school is because its "just down the street" haha.

Reactions: 2 users
Just got the email. It said they hope to have the online secondary running by Aug. 1. Mean while the prompts are
Question 1 (Required):

Explain the process by which you decided that osteopathic medicine was right for you?

Question 2 (Required):

How does the osteopathic profession fit into your professional goals and values?

Question 3 (Optional):

Please describe any significant barriers or challenges you may have overcome in the pursuit of your personal/professional goals.

750 word limit.

Do they send out sec apps AFTER the primary app is verified?

Do they send out sec apps AFTER the primary app is verified?
Technically, they didn't send the secondary out yet. The online secondary is suppose to be up tomorrow. They just sent an email with those questions so we can get a head start.

Today is supposed to be the day, anyone hearing from them? I got nothing so far. I would love to hear from them, once I do, I will be completely done with secondaries...

Today is supposed to be the day, anyone hearing from them? I got nothing so far. I would love to hear from them, once I do, I will be completely done with secondaries...
Possibly delayed due to online system not being up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Technically, they didn't send the secondary out yet. The online secondary is suppose to be up tomorrow. They just sent an email with those questions so we can get a head start.

Well they sent the questions to you, but I didnt get it from them. Just asking if your primary app is verified.

Well they sent the questions to you, but I didnt get it from them. Just asking if your primary app is verified.
Yes it was before I received the email from them.

so, they still havent sent us the secondary right?

does anyone have stats of those accepted in last year's classes and those who got interviews. (not asking for their school given average)

In the email they send regarding the receipt of the primary they say something along the lines of "please make sure to include your aacomas ID on all LOR". Does anyone know if they absolutely require this? If so is there a way for me to do this besides having my letter writers update their letters?

In the email they send regarding the receipt of the primary they say something along the lines of "please make sure to include your aacomas ID on all LOR". Does anyone know if they absolutely require this? If so is there a way for me to do this besides having my letter writers update their letters?
Are you using Interfolio?

Interfolio allows you to attach your AACOMAS ID to any document when you order its delivery.

Last edited:
Interfolio allows to to attach your AACOMAS ID to any document when you order its delivery.
Ah great, thanks for the info. I was just recently verified for aacomas and haven't received DO secondaries yet so I wasn't sure how letters worked. I wish aacomas collected them like amcas.

Did anyone else get an email yesterday as to how to apply early decision?

Lol I thought that was funny.. Don't they realize people have started getting IIs already from other DO schools? They need to pick it upppp!
I know they are like super behind this year, its insane. Who knows though, their secondary could/should be awesome by the time that it is finally online.... Like you just click one button and the whole thing is filled out and ready to submit. Complete with a robot to check your essays for errors. Thats what I imagine at least heh...

I don't think I ever received the email with the secondary questions...

This is a huge "opportunity" for those whose primary app is not verified yet.. That will be me. YAY.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know how much of an impact in-state residency has on acceptance? i know the stats were high for NJ residents in this years class. I am no longer a Jersey resident, I live in PA now but am only 15 minutes away from campus... I was wondering if that plays a part in the decision or do I need to have a jersey drivers license. I moved out of NJ for school, but plan on moving back to NJ someday depending on where I got medical school etc...

Bit of humor :p
rowan2_zpsdd2504a6.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone know how much of an impact in-state residency has on acceptance? i know the stats were high for NJ residents in this years class. I am no longer a Jersey resident, I live in PA now but am only 15 minutes away from campus... I was wondering if that plays a part in the decision or do I need to have a jersey drivers license. I moved out of NJ for school, but plan on moving back to NJ someday depending on where I got medical school etc...

When I attended their open house they did say they give priority to NJ residents however a number of students were from other states… I think the stats reported are accurate for students matriculated (MSAR or schools website) but to see how many jersey residents were accepted, US News would be of more use.

NJ residents do have an edge and instate tuition is a great savings.

It's almost September. Wonder how they'll be able to review the surge of secondaries that'll come in once the system goes online.

Will it ever get here??????

It's almost September. Wonder how they'll be able to review the surge of secondaries that'll come in once the system goes online.

Providing us with the essay prompts was probably a bad move on their part, instead of trickling in over a week or so, we'll probably submit all at once.

Who knows, maybe they WANT all of us to submit at the same time. That way they can more easily sort us by stats.

I just hope their server can handle everyone.

Providing us with the essay prompts was probably a bad move on their part, instead of trickling in over a week or so, we'll probably submit all at once.

Who knows, maybe they WANT all of us to submit at the same time. That way they can more easily sort us by stats.

I just hope their server can handle everyone.
I'm expecting a secondary a la Temple or Drexel at this point!

I was there for a tour on Monday. I spoke with Erin and she said they were hoping to get it up that afternoon...which didn't end up happening. But she said it's all ready, they're just waiting on IT to give it the go.

Got it today around 4:30PM! Sent it all in!

Aww man! I assumed everyone got it =/
If you don't get it today I would call them.