Rowan University (RowanSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those that got accepted, just got an email with the "accepted packet". Did anyone else's document packet say they are required to attend the pre-matriculate program?

Members don't see this ad.

For those that got accepted, just got an email with the "accepted packet". Did anyone else's document packet say they are required to attend the pre-matriculate program?
I know previous years have been optional. Did they make it a requirement? Or is it based off the applicants stats?

Yea i was confused about that too. They might of changed it for this year

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea i was confused about that too. They might of changed it for this year

Yeah on number 8 of the first handbook it says its mandatory. But at the end is an attached form saying you can sign up if interested. I was hoping to see if other people who got the emails had the same wording as we got in the packet.

A picture of it is included below. Anyone else please let me know if yours looks the same.

upload_2016-9-23_16-40-5.png

current first year. if you guys have any questions let me know!

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah on number 8 of the first handbook it says its mandatory. But at the end is an attached form saying you can sign up if interested. I was hoping to see if other people who got the emails had the same wording as we got in the packet.

A picture of it is included below. Anyone else please let me know if yours looks the same.

View attachment 209275

I assume this is under "Admissions Checklist" in the first packet attached to the email? Huh, my checklist only goes up to 7, and I do not see anything in my packet about the pre-matriculation program being mandatory.

However, I am still waiting for the official confirmation packet that is being sent through the mail, and that may shed some more light on the pre-matriculation program

View attachment 209275
mine doesn't have a number 8 on it at all

I think it is depending on your background. For example, someone out of school for awhile, non bio major, never took anatomy, etc. Any number of possible reasons, but I wouldn't take it as a bad thing. You get to meet some students, work off the jitters, get some refresher of material. Probably not make or break for anyone, but if they require it for you (for whatever reason) I'd emphasize the possible benefits!

I think it is depending on your background. For example, someone out of school for awhile, non bio major, never took anatomy, etc. Any number of possible reasons, but I wouldn't take it as a bad thing. You get to meet some students, work off the jitters, get some refresher of material. Probably not make or break for anyone, but if they require it for you (for whatever reason) I'd emphasize the possible benefits!

What this poster said is correct. I am a current 2nd year, I attended the program. It is optional for those who wish to take it and required for some they deem would benefit from it. It isn't a remedial program, so don't worry if you have to do it. Some of the top performers in my class went through this program. They have several reasons to ask you to go. For example, if you have been out of undergrad for a while, i.e. did a non-medical MS (like myself). It was certainly beneficial for me because my MS consisted mostly of primary research and a few "classes" that were just glorified journal clubs.

I enjoyed pre-matric. It is a great way to meet your fellow classmates and socialize a bit before school is started. It also gives you a taste of your workload. I would even say it is somewhat advantageous to complete. You will cover a lot of material that you will see in your 1st semester of your 1st year.

The program isn't truly worth a grade. Meaning you will receive grades, but you can perform as well, or as poorly, as you'd like, without any major consequence. I used the first few tests to get back into the swing of studying. Then I relaxed once I realized I could handle the workload.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
What this poster said is correct. I am a current 2nd year, I attended the program. It is optional for those who wish to take it and required for some they deem would benefit from it. It isn't a remedial program, so don't worry if you have to do it. Some of the top performers in my class went through this program. They have several reasons to ask you to go. For example, if you have been out of undergrad for a while, i.e. did a non-medical MS (like myself). It was certainly beneficial for me because my MS consisted of mostly of primary research and a few "classes" that were just glorified journal clubs.

I enjoyed pre-matric. It is a great way to meet your fellow classmates and socialize a bit before school is started. It also gives you a taste of your workload. I would even say it is somewhat advantageous to complete. You will cover a lot of material that you will see in your 1st semester of your 1st year.

The program isn't truly worth a grade. Meaning you will receive grades, but you can perform as well, or as poorly, as you'd like, without any major consequence. I used the first few tests to get back into the swing of studying. Then I relaxed once I realized I could handle the workload.

Just to be sure, you didn't have to pay a cent for the pre-matriculation program?

Anyone complete in July sitting the silence?
I am silent since 7/18

Got alternate listed through mail T.T
Anyone know when I should expect something?
9/10 interview. ED
3.7, 512

Members don't see this ad :)
9/10 interview. ED
3.7, 512

Did you get wait listed via email or mail? If it was by mail I truly have no idea when they begin taking people off the list. I would assume after the last date for the seat deposits whenever that would be.

Also your GPA and MCAT are above the average for admitted students. So well done there. I'm just curious how you felt your interview went or if you thought you were going to be accepted. How are your extra curriculars?

I interviewed on 9/14 and thought it went well. Still waiting to hear back. Anyone else hear back from the 9/14 or 9/15 interviews?

I interviewed 9/15 and still waiting to hear back as well. I'm thinking maybe the adcom will meet this Friday?

Did you get wait listed via email or mail? If it was by mail I truly have no idea when they begin taking people off the list. I would assume after the last date for the seat deposits whenever that would be.

Also your GPA and MCAT are above the average for admitted students. So well done there. I'm just curious how you felt your interview went or if you thought you were going to be accepted. How are your extra curriculars?

I interviewed on 9/14 and thought it went well. Still waiting to hear back. Anyone else hear back from the 9/14 or 9/15 interviews?
I interview 9/15 and am still waiting to hear back as well. I thought my interview went well too, but second guessing it a little now.

Interview was okay, I answered everything confidently and supported everything with my experiences, but I wouldnt say I was exceptional, prob just average.
Notified by snail mail.
EC: 100 hrs Volunteer at hospital, 50 hrs shadowing DO, 3 years research, Eagle Scout
Rutgers Senior
And yeah with my GPA/MCAT/DO letter of rec, I thought I was in easily. I interviewed first day too with like 25 other people and they told us to relax because if we're here then that meant they wanted us.

Interview was okay, I answered everything confidently and supported everything with my experiences, but I wouldnt say I was exceptional, prob just average.
Notified by snail mail.
EC: 100 hrs Volunteer at hospital, 50 hrs shadowing DO, 3 years research, Eagle Scout
Rutgers Senior
And yeah with my GPA/MCAT/DO letter of rec, I thought I was in easily. I interviewed first day too with like 25 other people and they told us to relax because if we're here then that meant they wanted us.

IS or OOS?

Notified by snail mail.
Rutgers Senior

The committee told us the same thing. It did help quell the nerves, but everyone seemed so sociable and intelligent. I'm just wondering how heavily they weigh the interview. I was in a group of about 12 or 13 for the 09/14 interview. With your scores I have no doubt you will gain acceptance somewhere else if not this school so don't fret.

Also anyone know if there have been other interviews after the 09/14 and 09/15 sessions?

Last edited:
The committee told us the same thing. It did help quell the nerves, but everyone seemed so sociable and intelligent. I'm just wondering how heavily they weigh the interview. I was in a group of about 12 or 13 for the 09/14 interview. With you're scores I have no doubt you will gain acceptance somewhere else if not this school so don't fret.

Also anyone know if there have been other interviews after the 09/14 and 09/15 sessions?
I think the next set of interviews begin in October.

How much is the acceptance deposit and how long do you have to pay it?

$195 by December 16th I believe. Portion of it is for seat and portion is for background check.

9/10 interview. ED
3.7, 512
Based on the past year they didn't get to the meat of the alternate list until July. However based on your stats, I wouldn't be surprised if a few months from now they accept you via the hold list or a straight acceptance because you're ED. I'm actually quite shocked that you didn't get in especially because you're IS as well. But like others have stated if you don't get in here then you'll definitely get in else where.

Sat on the secondary for a month cause I got busy @_@ Hoping for some love from this school. Do I stand I chance even though I submitted the secondary late late? :/ OOS 505/3.6-3.7

Sat on the secondary for a month cause I got busy @_@ Hoping for some love from this school. Do I stand I chance even though I submitted the secondary late late? :/ OOS 505/3.6-3.7

Well it's kinda late in the cycle, you're OOS, and sitting on a secondary that long could very well be perceived as a lack of interest (i'm not the adcom so i wouldn't know, but i'd view it that way). So realistically, maybe not. But there is still definitely a chance. Your stats are in line with the school for sure

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm OOS and got accepted to Rowan. I plan on enrolling, but as an OOS student, the 60k tuition is a bummer. Add up other costs, and I might be paying close to 100k a year.

I wonder if there is any way to become a NJ resident to pay IS tuition. I'd consider moving there as I'm from NY. Apparently, you used to be able to switch to IS tuition when the school was UMDNJ, but not anymore. (Can anyone clarify what changed?)

Any current students at Rowan have any advice for an OOS student?

I'm OOS and got accepted to Rowan. I plan on enrolling, but as an OOS student, the 60k tuition is a bummer. Add up other costs, and I might be paying close to 100k a year.

I wonder if there is any way to become a NJ resident to pay IS tuition. I'd consider moving there as I'm from NY. Apparently, you used to be able to switch to IS tuition when the school was UMDNJ, but not anymore. (Can anyone clarify what changed?)

Any current students at Rowan have any advice for an OOS student?

The state passed a law that prevents people from obtaining IS status when enrolled in school.

The state passed a law that prevents people from obtaining IS status when enrolled in school.
Yeah, that's what I know too, thanks. I'm looking for any further specific info on the law/ education rules to see if there is anything I can do to qualify for IS status.

ACCEPTED!!! Got the call from the absolute gem, Dean Watkins today! She is so sweet and I can't imagine myself any other place. I could not be happier! Dreams really do come true so never give up.

Interviewed 09/14/16; Accepted 10/03/16

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted! Got the call yesterday evening. Interviewed 9/15.

Reactions: 6 users
ACCEPTED!!! Got the call from the absolute gem, Dean Watkins today! She is so sweet and I can't imagine myself any other place. I could not be happier! Dreams really do come true so never give up.

Interviewed 09/14/16; Accepted 10/03/16
Congratulations! I'm interviewing here next week, I'm really looking forward to it. What was your interview day like?

I hope they call more people today... please be me lol

Reactions: 2 users
Ugh I interviewed 9/15 as well and am desperately waiting for that call lol!! What time did they call you guys (from the people who got accepted)?

Reactions: 1 users
Ugh I interviewed 9/15 as well and am desperately waiting for that call lol!! What time did they call you guys (from the people who got accepted)?
I think it varies but mine was around 5pm est.

Accepted! Got the call yesterday evening. Interviewed 9/15.

Just received major anxiety and seeing my phone as a grenade. Interviewed 9/15. Hope I get that call

Got the call around 5:40 EST

Congratulations! I'm interviewing here next week, I'm really looking forward to it. What was your interview day like?

Thank you! Interview day was very very laid back. They spent a few hours just talking to us about the school and asking us questions about what we thought about the process and assuring us that we were there because they wanted us as students. I couldn't help being nervous, but the committee made it as comfortable as possible. The individuals interviewing are also all very nice. Try not to fret!

Also I got the call around 5pm yesterday evening