September 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DAF16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Registration for the September MCAT opens up soon, so I thought I would make the thread.
Who else will be taking the test in September?

Members don't see this ad.

Walking out feeling optimistic only to be tormented by an impending doom that seems to get worse as the days go by usually means you did just fi
Wow it's almost been a month since I posted here.... Just 4 more days omg.... I have an exam on Tuesday morning too so hoping I'm not too nervous about the MCAT during that lolol

Excited to see what you got. From what I remember, our TPR FLs were very similar. Howd you do on the AAMC FL?

I remember the ship passage, i think it was my very last one. something about losing treasure or finding it, then losing it again. Then wrong people finding it. From what i can remember it was not a struggle passage. The one about the writer in the forest, writing about the forest, in the forest was fun

Yup. What did you think of the cars overall, not just that particular passage?

Members don't see this ad :)
My AAMC FL was: 127/125/130/129

There's a +/-2 range that your subscore can fall under based on your FL, it seems. Your 123 in CARS is unfortunate but was completely expectable based on the 125 you estimated.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks. Do you mind sharing the %s you got? Are those scores based on a predictor or something? %s would help much more :)
You've been an awesome contributer to this thread! I know you are very committed to doing the best you can to get into med school! No doubt you would make a great physician one day!:) give yourself a break this weekend. Go out. Get fresh air. And "enjoy " life.

I'm waiting until th 27th too, I already have poor scores on my record but can't keep dwelling on it :/

You've been an awesome contributer to this thread! I know you are very committed to doing the best you can to get into med school! No doubt you would make a great physician one day!:) give yourself a break this weekend. Go out. Get fresh air. And "enjoy " life.

I'm waiting until th 27th too, I already have poor scores on my record but can't keep dwelling on it :/

Thanks dude, means a lot to me.

Fortunately or not, I have 3 exams next week so I'm super busy studying for those. If you're in school too, the wait isn't going to be terrible... Good luck!

Yup. What did you think of the cars overall, not just that particular passage?
I felt decent after it, but now u ask m about it i really can not remember. i had strategy for cars that i used before every practice, but i cant remember if i did during the main test ( hope i did). it was not bad, i do not remember getting stuck on any one passage, except the forest one

I remember the ship passage, i think it was my very last one. something about losing treasure or finding it, then losing it again. Then wrong people finding it. From what i can remember it was not a struggle passage. The one about the writer in the forest, writing about the forest, in the forest was fun
Be careful, guys.

Reactions: 1 users
3 more days for us 9/11 and 9/12 people. This month sort of passed rather quickly, but as the days get closer to Tuesday it's getting harder to not be down about it. I have had several dreams and nightmares about my score. The most recent one was that I got a 504 and was crying uncontrollably and it magically changed to a 505. Also, for some reason a 122 CARS score is taunting me. At this point, I'm starting to accept the fact that I will have to retake this exam in January which is unfortunate because I have a great shot of getting into the 2016 entering class at a local medical school if I don't have to retake. I still have slight hope that a miracle happened and I did well enough to have at least gotten a 505. :depressed:

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone,

So I wrote my MCAT on September 3rd. I am kind of disappointed.

My Scores were:
P/C: 131 (99th)
CARS: 125 (58th)
B/BB: 129 (93rd)
P/S: 123 (32nd)
Overall: 508 (77th)

Like my P/C is shocking and I honestly just think I got lucky. CARS is no surprise, but P/S was just not great. Did anybody else feel the passages were convoluted and confusing that day? I felt like I had not studied psych at all when I ended up writing this. For those of you who did do well in P/S, what did you use in terms of material and strategies? It just sucks because my AAMC P/S score was relatively good. I would like your opinion on my scores, it would mean a lot.

Thanks everyone! I hope all of you fared better than me!

Hey everyone,

So I wrote my MCAT on September 3rd. I am kind of disappointed.

My Scores were:
P/C: 131 (99th)
CARS: 125 (58th)
B/BB: 129 (93rd)
P/S: 123 (32nd)
Overall: 508 (77th)

Like my P/C is shocking and I honestly just think I got lucky. CARS is no surprise, but P/S was just not great. Did anybody else feel the passages were convoluted and confusing that day? I felt like I had not studied psych at all when I ended up writing this. For those of you who did do well in P/S, what did you use in terms of material and strategies? It just sucks because my AAMC P/S score was relatively good. I would like your opinion on my scores, it would mean a lot.

Thanks everyone! I hope all of you fared better than me!

AAMC FL score please? :joyful::joyful::joyful:

I still haven't got my MCAT score so take my advice with a grain of salt, but have you checked out khan academy videos/passages? I found those to be immensely helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
AAMC FL score please? :joyful::joyful::joyful:

I still haven't got my MCAT score so take my advice with a grain of salt, but have you checked out khan academy videos/passages? I found those to be immensely helpful.

AAMC Sample Test:

C/P-64
CARS- 83
B/BB - 81
P/S - 81

It's funny that C/P was my lowest and CARS turned out pretty low for me haha.

Your other scores are fine. Just need to get your p/s up.

I used Kaplan book, khan, the psychology YouTube channel i posted before, and the long khan notes document floating around that someone wrote up. Scored 131. Saw no new terms or topics.

Is the CARS still good enough? I thought thats 125 is pretty bad too :O

I am actually new to this whole SDN thing, do you mind linking me the Youtube channel and the notes. :)

Funny thing is I used TPR psych because EK psych was pretty bad. Maybe Kaplan was better.... but yes I used khan academy as well.

Thanks for you help

Its not good but it won't kill you. It's between 8-9 I think. If you had the same CARS as me on the 3 sep, you'll probably see an increase on any other test haha.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8dPuuaLjXtOPRKzVLY0jJY-uHOH9KVU6

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mcat/comments/3i1yq5/all_psychologysociology_notes_from_khan_academy/

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/september-2015-mcat-thread.1132259/page-9#post-16799254

Eat your heart out with all that p/s

Thank you so much! MCAT 2016 here I come LOL. Well my only thing is sometimes I feel these marks are by luck, like next year my C/P could dip! Oh did you find CARS hard as well?

Here it is ladies and gents, as promised, the fully updated MCAT predictor spreadsheet! The new data changed the spreadsheet a little bit. Overall scores put into this sheet should be the same or a little higher than before I think. CARS had the biggest change to it, and my own predicted score went up a point in B/B. Anyway, enjoy!

Attachments

• Practice FL to MCAT Predictor ver 1.3.xlsx
    57.1 KB · Views: 222
Reactions: 7 users
Here it is ladies and gents, as promised, the fully updated MCAT predictor spreadsheet! The new data changed the spreadsheet a little bit. Overall scores put into this sheet should be the same or a little higher than before I think. CARS had the biggest change to it, and my own predicted score went up a point in B/B. Anyway, enjoy!

Huge thanks!

Mine did not change at all - which is good news for me.

You're a wonderful Spheal -- thank you very much. Pre-release energy beginning to stir

Wow, thanks for taking the time to do that!

Fortunately/unfortunately, my predicted score went up by one point... I just feel like this is getting my hopes up. I'm really feeling like I'm going to score on the low end of my broad range, which is more consistent with my TPR FLs + a few points... :(

Yea I feel very similar, like the predictor has me fairly high but I'd be ecstatic with anything above 509 honestly..

Thanks @Doctor Dream ! My score didn't change at all and I'm not sure if that's a good thing because I feel like it's giving me false hope for a good score.

Anyone look at the CARS plot? It's all over the place haha. Makes me wonder why there's such a discrepancy between the AAMC FL and the real thing. Surely it isn't that big of a change between the FL and the real test. It makes me so angry seeing people score 80%+ on the FL and basically tank the real thing.

Excited to see what you got. From what I remember, our TPR FLs were very similar. Howd you do on the AAMC FL?

75%/72%/86%/83% Total: 79%

I think this was equivalent to:
127/126/130/130 = 513

I'm hoping for anything above 510 on my actual exam!

Two days left, kind of nervous right now.

As a premed in stats program, I redid the predictor using non-linear model which might be slightly more accurate than the previous linear regression, and a correlation test as well.

Here is the function I've generated,

CP score = 118 +14.0214*(FL^0.9114)
CARS score = 118 +13.679(FL^1.634)
BB score = 118+13.8641(FL^0.8353) <- this is the most accuate model in these four
PS score = 118+13.4135(FL^0.9398)

And the correlation matrix is here.

upload_2015-10-11_4-0-21.png

FL=full length
A=Actual

Besides the correlation between FL and Actual test score. There are also some interesting findings.

upload_2015-10-11_4-5-7.png

PS score is more related to the CARS score and BB score, which make sense cuz there is plenty of readings and biological psych questions
Also, CP is closely related to the BB score, which also make sense cuz plenty of people are from science background.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

As a premed in stats program, I redid the predictor using non-linear model which might be slightly more accurate than the previous linear regression, and a correlation test as well.

BB score = 118+13.8641(FL^0.8353) <- this is the most accuate model in these four

Thanks for your work! I added my AAMC FL into these functions and added them up. The excel predictor said I'll get around a 509 whereas this one is a 511 (closer to 512). It's making me nervous.

I just wanted to ask if theres a correlation (or some pattern) with people who had unbalanced scores? I had a 73% overall but had a horrendous C/P score (~50%). I presume that my score will be lower than predicted since my AAMC was unbalanced but wanted to ask someone with a stats background. My breakdown is as follows:

C/P: 49%
CARS: 85%
B/B: 68%
P/S: 90%
Total: 73%

I honestly want a score above 507. I promise I'll be happy with it.

Hey everyone, I stayed away from the whole MCAT scene for a month because of how upset I feel i'm going to be..but here i am now ready for our scores LOL. So its going to be tuesday? Do we log in and see our scores? I can't believe its been a month.

Hey, thanks a lot for doing this. My score is still the same lol.

If this predictor thing is accurate, I'm buying all of you guys a drink lol.

For me, the breakdown is way more important than the composite score. 127 in CARS and a total of 512+ (since I already have a 32) I will be the happiest person on earth lol.

Thanks for your work! I added my AAMC FL into these functions and added them up. The excel predictor said I'll get around a 509 whereas this one is a 511 (closer to 512). It's making me nervous.

I just wanted to ask if theres a correlation (or some pattern) with people who had unbalanced scores? I had a 73% overall but had a horrendous C/P score (~50%). I presume that my score will be lower than predicted since my AAMC was unbalanced but wanted to ask someone with a stats background. My breakdown is as follows:

Hello :)

From what I know, the model won't be accurate if one's FL is lower than 60% or higher than 90% since we lack data points in these two ranges. And there are also many confounding variables in this model. So just make it as a weak reference and hope we can get better score than it predicted.

Good luck for us. :)

Hey, thanks a lot for doing this. My score is still the same lol.

If this predictor thing is accurate, I'm buying all of you guys a drink lol.

For me, the breakdown is way more important than the composite score. 127 in CARS and a total of 512+ (since I already have a 32) I will be the happiest person on earth lol.

I believe you did great. Good luck!

I wouldn't takes these predictors too seriously. So many variables such as low scorers rarely post their results. I think they are inflated due to that reason.

I wouldn't takes these predictors too seriously. So many variables such as low scorers rarely post their results. I think they are inflated due to that reason.
That's why I'm posting no matter what! Hopefully the data is helpful, and I hope others with similar scores see that they're not alone.

Reactions: 3 users

You should be okay overall. I like the total score, especially your PS and CARS...well done. But if I may be brutully honest, how was CP on the real thing for you?

You have to hope you don't score near 49% on the real thing. That's less than 30/59 and much more indicative of a 123 (around a 6 on the old) than the 125 I've seen on some conversion tables

I think I will die of anxiety/stress/excitement by the time the scores are finally released... this has felt like one of the longest months of my life haha. Not sure if going on SDN made it better or worse, but either way, I'm glad we were all along for the ride. I can't wait to have the MCAT totally behind us...

Anyone feel like their score wild drop if they don't fill out the pmq

so nervous for you 12ers ahhh

haha yeah! and all other crazy things/promises like giving away all my mcat books or selling and giving the money to a charity... feeding the homeless... etc.

It's not easy to wait for your MCAT scores for the third time, believe me guys.

Turk only took it once because his brother footed the bill and made sure he studied for 12 months solid. I on the other hand live in the real world, where stress is real and storylines aren't resolved in the span of thirty minutes.

You should be okay overall. I like the total score, especially your PS and CARS...well done. But if I may be brutully honest, how was CP on the real thing for you?

You have to hope you don't score near 49% on the real thing. That's less than 30/59 and much more indicative of a 123 (around a 6 on the old) than the 125 I've seen on some conversion tables

Thanks! Yeah I noticed that I'll be close to 123/124 rather than 125. I think I found C/P on the real thing a little easier (or it could be mind games). Either way, I'm going to take the predictors with a grain of salt. I'm ready for a 123 as long as I do 507+ overall. It'll probably be a seriously unbalanced score haha.

Did anyone feel worse as time went by after Test Day? Like I'm seriously beginning to doubt myself and I'm not sure if it's me being realistic or anxious. I feel like I'm coming back down to earth or something after feeling that the exam was doable (not easy). Please tell me I'm not alone! :wideyed:

Thanks! Yeah I noticed that I'll be close to 123/124 rather than 125. I think I found C/P on the real thing a little easier (or it could be mind games). Either way, I'm going to take the predictors with a grain of salt. I'm ready for a 123 as long as I do 507+ overall. It'll probably be a seriously unbalanced score haha.

Did anyone feel worse as time went by after Test Day? Like I'm seriously beginning to doubt myself and I'm not sure if it's me being realistic or anxious. I feel like I'm coming back down to earth or something after feeling that the exam was doable (not easy). Please tell me I'm not alone! :wideyed:
More time progresses, the tighter the knot in my stomach. 16 days to go. :-(