Should I continue working here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ayuka001

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm currently interning at large medical center (one of the top ranked in the country, looks good on resume, gets "wows" from everyone who hears I intern here). I absolutely love working here, the staff is super nice and I'm learning so much. Problem is I'm required to work a minimum of 20hrs a week and even holidays. Combined with extracurriculars, I'm finding it really hard to keep a high gpa. I'm currently at 3.3 but I feel I need a 3.5 at least to remain competitive.

So basically my grades are suffering and possibly extracurriculars too since I always have to work.

My friends at other hospitals or retail work 4-8hrs a week only and easily ask for days off. I'm really scared that I won't be competitive for residency. Honestly I've never been very smart I'm the type that needs to study lots and lots to do well.

So do u guys think I am at a disadvantage when it comes to applying residency compared to others who might've had more time to do other things and get better gpa? I'm really confused as to whether I should find a less demanding job.

Thank you everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

interning job at well renowned hospital >>> + 0.2 gpa

Reactions: 1 user
That seems like a legitimate concern and a relatively minor change could be a solution. Have you talked to your boss about your concern? Changing you to 2 shifts per week instead of 3 may not be outrageous from their perspective, and you might have coworkers interested in getting more hours.

That seems like a legitimate concern and a relatively minor change could be a solution. Have you talked to your boss about your concern? Changing you to 2 shifts per week instead of 3 may not be outrageous from their perspective, and you might have coworkers interested in getting more hours.

This. Meet with your director or supervisor and say exactly what you wrote in your post.