SMDEP 2015 THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Less than 2 weeks for you guys. Goodluck!

Members don't see this ad.

if you dont mind me asking may you explain anything else from the UTHealth Houston Program, i have just been admitted for the summer of 2015, and im really wondering how this is going to be like ?
First of all, CONGRATULATIONS! Possibly the best experience I have had in college so far, considering I am only a college freshman. (However i expect my JAMP internships to be far more rewarding...) Anyways, for a more in depth explanation of what to expect on your time in SMDEP at Houston in particular, based on my experience. You will have the pleasure of staying on the Rice Campus for 6 weeks, you will get to know you're colleagues very well because you will be living with them and seeing them basically everyday. When there is free time i guarantee you will have fun, if you want you can PM me for more details... You take classes the revolve around the pre-med requirements, you will see speakers that will teach you how to budget (if) you get in to medical school, how to be healthy in medical school, and how to interview, and much much more. There are also pre-med and pre-dent students that somewhat "supervise" all the students there, but they are there are resource for you primarily! You will take a pre and post test. Do as well as you can for these, for your personal satisfaction, there are rewards. Enjoy your summer simultaneously, it's almost a trade off of how well you want to do academically, and leisurely.

Tldr; exposed to pre-med required classes, shadowed once or twice, exposed to medical and some dental students, established a social life.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys!
For those who have been to one of the programs before, is there a certain attire?
Also, do they let you go other places than staying on campus??

Members don't see this ad :)
Just out os curiousity, what is this program for? and why would one want to do this? and when does one do this? I have no idea and willing to learn about it firsthand from those who has been part of it. Thanks

In review for yale!!! who else is in review?

Just out os curiousity, what is this program for? and why would one want to do this? and when does one do this? I have no idea and willing to learn about it firsthand from those who has been part of it. Thanks
It's a Summer Medical and Dental Program for those who are planning to ( or are interested) in going to medical school and dental school. And it's only for freshman and sophomores in college. You can read more about it on their site http://smdep.org/about/program-overview/

Hey guys!
For those who have been to one of the programs before, is there a certain attire?
Also, do they let you go other places than staying on campus??
I'm going to the site at UVA this summer and they basically said we are required to wear "business casual" attire during instructional times... don't know about the other sites. From what I gathered you're free to do whatever you want on the weekends and they also plan trips to amusement parks and stuff like that.

I applied to Howard, Houston and Louisville. Mine only says in review for Louisville. Does that mean the other two spots are filled up? I am slightly confused.

I applied to Houston, Virgina, and Washington. Mine only says in review at Houston so I doubt their full but it is weird that we're only in review for one place...

Finally finished studying for my Middle Eastern Politics exam and even though I'm exhausted, I had to check the forum. Less than a week left! Best of luck to everyone. I've been in review for Houston, Rutgers, and UCLA since March 4th and submitted my application by March 1st. I am worried though because they didn't get one of my LORs which was from a professor who knew me better and he approved that he did send it in. It's weird because he faxed it two days before my other professor and SMDEP did receive the 2nd letter. I emailed them and they said that it wouldn't affect my chances of getting accepted- which I hope is a valid statement.

I applied to exactly all the same schools as you! Under your location it says Chicago, is that right? Cause I am also from Chicago! Haha small world!

Finally finished studying for my Middle Eastern Politics exam and even though I'm exhausted, I had to check the forum. Less than a week left! Best of luck to everyone. I've been in review for Houston, Rutgers, and UCLA since March 4th and submitted my application by March 1st. I am worried though because they didn't get one of my LORs which was from a professor who knew me better and he approved that he did send it in. It's weird because he faxed it two days before my other professor and SMDEP did receive the 2nd letter. I emailed them and they said that it wouldn't affect my chances of getting accepted- which I hope is a valid statement.

I applied to exactly all the same schools as you! Under your location it says Chicago, is that right? Cause I am also from Chicago! Haha small world!
Hahaha that's funny, yes I am from Chicago! I go to Loyola.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm kind of bummed that Louisville prohibits enrollment of an online class during the SMDEP session, but I really need it to graduate on time. Does anyone know how strenuous Louisville's program will be? Considering their program offers academic credit. Another curious question, has anyone attempted to take an online course while they're in the SMDEP program?

Interesting! I go to UIC. I got into Huston and Rutgers but not UCLA :( Going to Rutgers so if you decide going there let me know!
Sweet! I have a lot of friends who go to UIC! And yeah, I'm really hoping to get into UCLA, it's my first choice but I know it's super competitive so I guess I'll see, if not UCLA, Rutgers was my next choice. :)

Hey you guys just saw this thread!! Anyone waiting for april 1st deadline??

I applied to Howard, UVA, and Duke. Just was this weekend that my application is in review for UVA :unsure:

Update: After I emailed SMDEP about my second letter of recommendation and they told me that it hadn't been received, the site updated my application and said that it was received... so I guess I'm good aha.

Also wondering, did anyone get waitlisted for an SMDEP site? Cuz all I see are acceptances and rejection.

Also wondering, did anyone get waitlisted for an SMDEP site? Cuz all I see are acceptances and rejection.
I read somewhere that someone got waitlisted. But its probably more on the acceptance/rejection side.

Hey guys! I've been stalking this page for a while. But any who, I am extremely nervous.

Sites: Duke, Rutgers, and UoW
My stats:
African American female
3.37 GPA
Extra curricular activities- STEM program, President of my campus, President of The Meek Achievers
LOR from chem professor and calculus professor.
I completed my app about 2 days from the March 1st deadline

It's really difficult to understand what they are looking for because there's some people with perfect GPA's who didn't get in :( and my GPA is terrible,but what I heard is that they look for students who needs an extra push

P.s.
lol I also forgot to include that I am A sophomore

I've been lurking on this thread for awhile and I finally decided to post because I'm so nervous. I can't stand this waiting.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh man less than 24 hours away!!! excited and nervous at the same time. Hoping for the best :laugh:

Does anyone know what time the decisions are posted? Like I know they're up at midnight..but is it central or eastern time?

What is everyone going to do to pass the time until decisions come out?

I can't focus in class because I am so nervous.

What is everyone going to do to pass the time until decisions come out?
Luckily, I had an exam today and a presentation at 5 So when that's all done then I'll have like 6 brutal hours left. I guess then I'll stand keep refreshing my page to no new information and keep checking this thread

Reactions: 1 users
I have a genetics exam, physics exam, and Middle eastern politics research paper and I can't focus!!!!!!!!

Eeeeeeeep I cannot wait :) time is ticking. 7 hours left yippeeee!

I submitted my application on February 1st with my transcript in on the 20. And now two months later there is just 2 hours and 20 minutes remaining!!!!!

Now my day is done the wait is starting to get to me.

Omg, less then two hours remaining! Where is everyone???? Where's the hype!!

And I am soooo nervous also! It feels like Christmas in the Spring! Hopefully we all get our desired gifts! :)

Agreed!!! The wait has been such a struggle!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol yessss! I just realized that my app was processed by March 12 but my sites were in review around that same Tim. Is that a good or bad sign?

^No clue

OH MY GOSH GUYS!!! Only one more hour!

Good luck to everyone who applied! If you don't mind sharing your decisions and stats, try to share them; I will do the same.

THE WAIT IS ALMOST OVER!!! good luck to everyone:)

I can't deal with this wait. Good Luck Everybody!!!!

I seriously need to find something to distract me for 25 more minutes.