SMDEP 2015 THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do the sites wait for your application to be completed and then they review it? My transcript was received by SMDEP on February 4th and I submitted my application on the 1st. I have to wait until April 1st to get a reply.

Members don't see this ad.

Do the sites wait for your application to be completed and then they review it? My transcript was received by SMDEP on February 4th and I submitted my application on the 1st. I have to wait until April 1st to get a reply.
I think you have to have at least one letter of recommendation and your transcript. I send in my lors however my app was not reviewed until my transcript got in. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you have to have at least one letter of recommendation and your transcript. I send in my lors however my app was not reviewed until my transcript got in. Good luck!
Thank you! Good luck to you too.

I did SMDEP Yale 2013 and it was definitely one of the greatest experiences I've ever had. Everyone there is invested in making sure you succeed. Congrats to all of you who have confirmed at Yale and make sure you really take advantage of this once in a lifetime opportunity. Protip: Make sure you form a friendship with Dr. Black and Ms. Jackson

Thanks for the advice! I will be attending Yale SMDEP. I was just wondering how much clinical exposure you received at Yale SMDEP and what your favorite aspect of the program was.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you guys know how long we have to make a decision? I didn't get any email.

How long do we hve to decide? Decisions came out on a Sunday , and it says we have 2 business days. So do we have until Wednesday?

Hi everyone, I'm extremely torn between Columbia and Yale. Both are very competitive and great programs. I'm just blessed to have been granted admission to both. I literally cannot decide at all. Help me please!
I would choose Columbia since its in NYC lol
How long do we hve to decide? Decisions came out on a Sunday , and it says we have 2 business days. So do we have until Wednesday?
The email they sent said we have until Wednesday at 5 pm (EST) to make a decision

Reactions: 1 users
Do you guys know how long we have to make a decision? I didn't get any email.

"Accepted: You will have two business days to confirm your acceptance. Note: February 15 is on a Sunday and the NPO offices will be closed on Monday, February 16 in observance of President’s Day. Therefore, Wednesday, February 18 by 5:00 pm (EST) marks the two business day cutoff for confirming your acceptance. If you miss the deadline to confirm, your status will change to “withdrawn after accept”."

That is from the email!

Finally made my decision and confirmed at Case :soexcited: I can't wait!

Members don't see this ad :)
no one is going to Rutgers beside me? what a disappointment!! :(

SMDEP at Duke was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. It's incredible how much you can learn in six weeks. It was definitely some of the toughest weeks I've ever gone through in many different respects, but every bit of it was worth it.

The program started with a very proper orientation, with speeches given to us from the Director of SMDEP, the Dean of Admissions of Medical School, and one of the respected professors and Course Coordinator of SMDEP. That day was quite an awakening as they basically laid down the law in a span of 5 minutes. Right away, we knew this program meant business as we were told this was going to be the hardest we've ever worked in our life or that at some point we are going to question ourselves why we ever decided to do this program. Yeah, all us students were definitely intimidated, but that didn't stop us. After a tour of the campus and all, we soon had to get ready for our opening convocation. This was actually a really formal ceremony. We all were "cloaked" in front of the entire class of 80 students, which was such an awesome feeling. They would call our names and we would go up, one of the medical doctors would put our white coat on us, and then we walked over to the director, who gave us a Duke SMDEP pin. All of us students were so excited to already feel like doctors with that white coat on…it definitely was a nice way to get started with the program.

So basically, here's what the program consisted of. All the students were placed in 2 science courses. There were four tracks: (1) Physics and Organic Chemistry, (2) Cell Biology and Organic Chemistry, (3) Physics and Physiology, and (4) Cell Biology and Physiology. Students were placed based on what science courses they haven't taken so that when they return to their home institution, they would ace those courses (and they have high stats of that happening). In addition, every student was placed in a calculus course based on their pre-assessment test score. This ranged from Quantitative Topics (QT) 1, which is basically pre-calculus/calculus 1, QT 2, which is a more complete coverage of calculus 1, and QT 3, which was an "advanced" group which consisted of students who clearly have already taken calculus, even as high as Calc 4. I was in the Cell Biology and Physiology track and I was in QT3. Only 15 out of 80 students made it into QT 3 so that was definitely an honor for me..I was really grateful. Also, all students were in the following courses: Peak Performance, Health Disparities, Ethics, Standardized Patient Module, and Mock Beta Interview. Peak Performance was a course that was more low-key, it was a session that talked about stress management, time management, family and friends relationships, etc. It was also the only class that they actually let us vent and "complain" about anything on our minds throughout the course of the six weeks. Health disparities was a course that basically informed us about different types of disparities across the nation and what we as aspiring physicians can do to help. Ethics was a seminar that basically entailed a certain ethical issue in the medical field and was presented by a professional in that topic; another informational lecture. The standardized patient module consisted of a hired actor or actress who played the role of a patient with a certain condition. We as students were to go up to the patient (playing doctor) in front of the whole class and basically learn on the spot how to talk to patients, how to connect with the patient, how to get the patient's "story" without offending the patient; basically we learned how to treat the patient, not just the symptoms or disease. This was my favorite course just because it was really exciting. We never knew what to expect because we would only be told very minimal information about the patient beforehand and these hired actors/actresses were so good in their role that each student had a different experience. Finally, the mock beta interview was a class that basically consisted of doing mock interviews. At Duke, there are two types of interviews, alpha and beta. The alpha interview is more straight up about grades and research experience, things like that. The beta interview is the harder one, because it's how they get to know you as a person and ask you ethical or moral dilemma questions or just about your personal views about things and what you would do to make a difference. So it was definitely nice to have some practice with that. The even nicer thing was that all the instructors for these courses were professionals of the courses. Peak Performance was taught by the social psychologist at Duke. Health Disparities was taught by an MD/PhD student and the director of SMDEP. Ethics was taught by a series of doctors and professionals, depending on the topic. Standardized patient module and mock interviews were taught by the individuals that actually do those courses in med school. So yeah, science and math classes were from 8-12:15pm. Then recitation for the sciences or a combination of those other courses was from 2-5pm. Then we sometimes had Q&A seminars or other workshops with doctors form 7-9pm, sometimes ending early around 8:30pm. Or we'd have clinical rotations from 7-11pm. My rotations were in the following departments: Surgical ICU, Pediatric ICU, Cardiac ICU, Pediatric ER, and Adult ER. I also had the opportunity to witness a neurosurgery in my free time which was the most amazing experience of my life…but that's another story. So yeah, we were completely busy…and we still had to find time to do homework and study for exams…it was intense! They really wanted us to get a taste of med school…it was crazy.

Here's the special thing about Duke. Even though we don't get credit for these classes, they keep all of our information and performance on record. That way if down the road we apply to DukeMed or ask for a letter of recommendation, they really know something about us. We even had to go as far as meeting one to one or in small groups with the professors and other important people so they knew us on a personal level. The TAs and RAs were incredible and so helpful. All of them were anywhere from MD students, MD/PhD students, 4th year medical students, etc. etc. No matter what question or concern you had, there was always at least one person if not more than you can go to talk to. And they even said we can keep in touch throughout the years and if we ever have a question, we can go to them. Before I always wondered who I could go to for help, and now after this program I know exactly who I can contact for practically every question I could possibly have. It's a really great feeling, definitely a comfort.

We also had a 2-day recruitment fair where we were able to meet representatives of 50+ medical schools all across the nation. It was definitely an opportunity to show our best and get ourselves out there. I fortunately made a lot of contacts with the folks at Cornell and NYU, as well as other schools. The RA staff also held a full day workshop where we basically moved in stations that ranged from MCAT preparation and test strategies, to personal statement preparation and tips, to what else can you do with an MD (joint) degrees, to how to get involved in research, etc. etc...it was endless and every bit of it was so incredibly helpful. The staff was always so open to the students, friendly, easy to talk to, and they really made us feel comfortable so that any question we may have, we could ask them. It was really great.

Overall I just learned so much about myself, my academic potential, and my ability to get into this field. Also, it was my first time away from home so I finally got that independent experience I've always wanted. I learned so much more of how to talk and interact with people, when to stand up, when to stay quiet, when to be a leader, etc. all those things. It was amazing to be surrounded by such strong-willed and dedicated people that shared the same interests as myself. It was such an awesome experience to be in that type of environment. Yeah, tests were definitely really hard and the material was moving faster than we could all handle…everyone including myself definitely had their complaints and stressed out moments. And yeah, there was a TA here and there that wasn't as great as they could be. Of course nothing could be perfect. But by the end of the day, it was really what you made of the experience. It was more about embracing all the positives rather than focusing on the few negatives. We actually had a psychological lesson about that too...haha.

By the end of the program, we had a presentation day. I had the fortune of being able to do two presentations in front of all of SMDEP plus faculty. One was for QT3 because our task was to get into 3 groups of 5 and present a research project on one type of medical imaging device. Our group spoke about EKGs. The second one was for cell biology and that was about a specific genetic disorder. For cell biology, in class everyone presented with their teams, but out of the 6 teams, 3 were voted as the top; fortunately our group got chosen and so I was able to present that on that last day as well. Even though all of this was so stressful and sometimes it made me want to pull my hair out, ALL of it was worth it in the end. I was able to build myself up and build confidence that I can survive in this field. This program is definitely anything and everything a pre-medical student would want to go through before actually confirming this is the field where they want to be in. We had a closing convocation and at that we all received our certificates of completion, which were REALLY nice…they look like diplomas. Hearing the speeches and just interacting with everyone was just so good. Everyone got really close by the end of the program, it was like we were one huge family. Duke did an amazing job with this program.

So yeah, I am so grateful for this experience and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I've become humbled for this whole field in general and my ability to go through with it. I've gained confidence in myself and that's something I really needed…I needed that push to make me believe I can make it. I am so ready to get back to school and ace my classes and just keep jumping over those hurdles that come in my way because some day, I know I'm going to make it to my finish line...and that's becoming a doctor.

So yeah, bottom line...it was amazing!!! :)

Oh and btw! If you haven't, you all should watch the 6-part documentary on abc called Hopkins. They did a really awesome job of covering what real life hospital life is like. Just a recommendation!
So i found this detailed stuff. I hope you guys enjoy it :). Now I can't wait to start the program:D:soexcited:

Thanks for the advice! I will be attending Yale SMDEP. I was just wondering how much clinical exposure you received at Yale SMDEP and what your favorite aspect of the program was.

When I was there Yale didn't really focus on the clinical aspect and I'm not sure if that has changed. The program had two shadowing sessions, one in the emergency room and another in the primary care clinic. I personally didn't go out of my way to get more shadowing opportunities, but there were students who were able to get more exposure by networking with physicians and medical students. The program has a lot of professional development sessions where you get to interrogate medical students, residents, physicians, and faculty, so make sure you network there for shadowing opportunities or anything else.

Apart from the clubbing, which wasn't exactly a legitimate aspect of the program, my favorite aspect of the program was all the support that you receive. The teaching assistants, medical students, and faculty are so down to earth and friendly, which I didn't expect since you know it's freaking Yale. I left feeling confident because I was able to talk about my journey and dreams with faculty and it just felt great being told that they saw something in me.

Definitely have fun while you're there, but don't forget that you're one of the lucky ones to get accepted so definitely don't let this opportunity go to waste. Work hard and play hard!

Has anyone attended Columbia previously and could share their experiences? How was the program like, clinical experience, subjects you learned, the campus, social scene, etc?

Did anyone hear back from any program yet?? I only see that I am confirmed on the check the status website.

Hi everyone, I'm extremely torn between Columbia and Yale. Both are very competitive and great programs. I'm just blessed to have been granted admission to both. I literally cannot decide at all. Help me please!
New York isn't all that great in the summer. Its hot as hell and people at columbia and in the city can be pretty snobby sometimes. I don't know about Yale but except you just want to have the NYC experience, Yale seems like the better option.

I've confirmed Yale, see you guys in the summer!

Who is waiting for April 1st?

Hey guys, congratulations on all the acceptances to SMDEP!
I have a question/issue about the notification system. I applied to ULouisville and Houston and submitted everything by February 1 but I did not receive any notification and my application status is still "in review". I'm wondering if this is because they haven't received the 2nd LOR (which is also weird, because I checked with that professor and he sent it on January 30 and he sent it again two days ago) or some other issue. I have emailed SMDEP and called the toll-free number but no response. Did anyone else have this problem?

I have a question/issue about the notification system. I applied to ULouisville and Houston and submitted everything by February 1 but I did not receive any notification and my application status is still "in review". I'm wondering if this is because they haven't received the 2nd LOR (which is also weird, because I checked with that professor and he sent it on January 30 and he sent it again two days ago) or some other issue. I have emailed SMDEP and called the toll-free number but no response. Did anyone else have this problem?
You're probably in the same boat as I am. After calling the SMDEP office, a representative explained to me that I had everything submitted by the 30th and although my application said that it was "completed on January 31st", they hadn't received my transcript in time due to inclement weather and I am technically in the 2nd batch of applicants and will not be finding out my status until April 1st. I'm sure you are in the same conditions as I am because they didn't receive your LoRs in time.

Just finished SMDEP in Houston! Great Program!! Excellent seminars, and teachers! I would recommend the program to anyone interested in medicine and dentistry!!
How was the whole experience I just got accepted into Houston and I'm curious to see how it's going to be!

I had the same problem too but I received a decision with the first batch. They only received one LOR even though I sent in two but all's well. And when I called, they picked up pretty quickly.

I just received an email from Yale and it was in my spam box! So just check your spam box if you haven't received an email!

I just received an email from Yale and it was in my spam box! So just check your spam box if you haven't received an email!
The email made me even more excited to be at Yale ! I cannot wait !!!

You're probably in the same boat as I am. After calling the SMDEP office, a representative explained to me that I had everything submitted by the 30th and although my application said that it was "completed on January 31st", they hadn't received my transcript in time due to inclement weather and I am technically in the 2nd batch of applicants and will not be finding out my status until April 1st. I'm sure you are in the same conditions as I am because they didn't receive your LoRs in time.

Nooooooooooooooooooo

CONGRATULATIONS everyone!! Super happy for everyone :D it was nice knowing you all and suffering together lol. PM me if you're going to UCLA!
I've been accepted to UCLA as well ^^ I've been following this thread since November, but never posted anything. Congratulations to everybody that was accepted to a school!!!!!

I've been accepted to UCLA as well ^^ I've been following this thread since November, but never posted anything. Congratulations to everybody that was accepted to a school!!!!!
Congrats on getting into ucla!

Hey everyone! Congrats to all who got in. My transcript finally arrived today and now I am under review for Yale!!! Fingers crossed and praying hard. Who else is waiting until April 1st and where did you apply?

Hey everyone! Congrats to all who got in. My transcript finally arrived today and now I am under review for Yale!!! Fingers crossed and praying hard. Who else is waiting until April 1st and where did you apply?

Hello, I am waiting for the April 1st deadline as well.
I am pre-dent and I applied to Howard, UCLA, and Houston.
My application was completed without my two letters of recommendation on the 12th but I am not under review for any site.
Best of luck ! HOPE YOU GET IN

Last edited:
did anyone who got accepted got emails from the schools beside yale??

Anyone received an email from UNMC? I know they need us to send our immunizations and proof of health insurance but I don't know if we are supposed to send these ourselves or wait for an email.
same here , have not heard from rutgers. they might be waiting for april 1 cycle to send info to everyone. hopefully, they send us emails soon

Congrats to all of those who got in! Gonna be a kick ass summer!! And good luck to those who are still in the process of applying!!

I went to UTHealth Houston 2014. Pretty good experience. It will be a good time, and you can work as hard as you want to in the program basically. Great place for networking. I stay in touch with a friend from NY from the program! :) Plenty of eating out, fun, and clinical experiences. Best part is the ambition in the other students, especially when they like to have a good time!

I went to UTHealth Houston 2014. Pretty good experience. It will be a good time, and you can work as hard as you want to in the program basically. Great place for networking. I stay in touch with a friend from NY from the program! :) Plenty of eating out, fun, and clinical experiences. Best part is the ambition in the other students, especially when they like to have a good time!
if you dont mind me asking may you explain anything else from the UTHealth Houston Program, i have just been admitted for the summer of 2015, and im really wondering how this is going to be like ?