Southern California Kaiser Anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

real-teo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any info on SoCal Kaiser Anesthesiology jobs? specifically, San Diego Kaiser? Ex: practice model, base pay, call, and any other useful information would be awesome.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have any info on SoCal Kaiser Anesthesiology jobs? specifically, San Diego Kaiser? Ex: practice model, base pay, call, and any other useful information would be awesome.
I interviewed at Kaiser in San Francisco and Walnut Creek 6 years ago prior to current gig. The biggest takeaways were:
1) Lower salary than private practice, but better hours, benefits, and less call.
2) Biggest selling point was their pension where you got paid a certain percentile of your salary up to a maximum of some sort with each accumulated year worked there. Discussions of whether a pension is sustainable and whether California will go bankrupt is a separate discussion but should be factored in if considering this benefit.
3) Others I spoke with advised going private practice first to accumulate a nest egg and pay of student loans etc, then switch to Kaiser at age 40-45 to get 20-25 years of service time under more relaxed work conditions while putting in years towards the pension

Kaiser SoCal pays a good bit less than Kaiser NorCal.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at Kaiser in San Francisco and Walnut Creek 6 years ago prior to current gig. The biggest takeaways were:
1) Lower salary than private practice, but better hours, benefits, and less call.
2) Biggest selling point was their pension where you got paid a certain percentile of your salary up to a maximum of some sort with each accumulated year worked there. Discussions of whether a pension is sustainable and whether California will go bankrupt is a separate discussion but should be factored in if considering this benefit.
3) Others I spoke with advised going private practice first to accumulate a nest egg and pay of student loans etc, then switch to Kaiser at age 40-45 to get 20-25 years of service time under more relaxed work conditions while putting in years towards the pension

I would be more sanguine about the pension's prospects. Federal law governing pension assets means that you can see if it is underfunded (Kaiser isn't), they are federally insured/guarenteed (albeit up to a limited maximum of ~70k/year), and not subject to creditors if the company goes under. Kaiser IMO is also better suited then most to handle any transition to single payer or medicare for all etc as it is already a capitated system

That means for you to lose a significant chunk of your pension 1. Kaiser would have to go under (unlikely) 2. The pension would have to be underfunded (unlikely and you could see or know about in advance) 3. The market would have to tank, worsening how underfunded the pension is, and 4. Your pension would need to be greater then the federally insured maximum (likely if you spent your career there).

Multiple vacancies across the board in SoCal hospital in the past 3-4 years. This should tell you how bad the job is.

San Diego Kaiser covers a huge area with one group. One surgery center is like 80 miles from another one they cover. CRNAs are basically employees of the hospital so docs really have no “authority” per se. overall have heard it’s a good lifestyle job (knowing when you leave, no billing for procedures, etc) but that’s balanced with lower pay and managing crnas and academic like politics. Very liberal organization if you like/dislike or don’t care. Benefits are great healthcare, pension and 401k/keogh. That’s pretty much the extent of my knowledge. It’s a pretty sought after job for sure based on number and caliber of applicants.

San Diego Kaiser covers a huge area with one group. One surgery center is like 80 miles from another one they cover. CRNAs are basically employees of the hospital so docs really have no “authority” per se. overall have heard it’s a good lifestyle job (knowing when you leave, no billing for procedures, etc) but that’s balanced with lower pay and managing crnas and academic like politics. Very liberal organization if you like/dislike or don’t care. Benefits are great healthcare, pension and 401k/keogh. That’s pretty much the extent of my knowledge. It’s a pretty sought after job for sure based on number and caliber of applicants.

pretty accurate from what ive heard also. KP has their own CRNA school and all being forced to get DNPs now so prob more of a territorial thing coming down the pipe.

I can only speak generally about Southern California Permanente. I understand that there is at least one hospital that is physician-only, but the rest of the hospitals put doctors and CRNAs in "parallel" tracks. That is better than the care team model (in my mind, anyway), but far inferior to physician only.

I would say that Kaiser is for "the fat part of the bell curve" anesthesiologists. Superstars aren't going to be happy because it's an employee mindset throughout the hospital from top to bottom and excellence simply cannot be appreciated. Truly terrible anesthesiologists will do better with Envision or IAMG.

The Kaiser system will try make every anesthesiologist "average." Just like all EPIC notes are now average (unremarkable in every way except for how bloated they are), the skills and talents of the top performers are sacrificed to bring the bottom half up. Kaiser is not looking to push any envelopes or innovate in any way whatsoever. I would liken Kaiser's tried and true "best practices" to the reliable and reproducible recipe for the Big Mac. Big Macs aren't meant to stand out in any way whatsoever except their reproducibility and low cost. At Kaiser you won't be asked to hone skills, specialize, or innovate--just to shut yer yap and proceed with the cases you're assigned. A Kaiser anesthesiologist is a hospital employee who is good at following algorithms and not asking questions.

Oh, and you absolutely have to be a tool. Meetings, clipboards, neckties, a$$-kissing, never ending memoranda: if those things don't rub you the wrong way, Kaiser is the way to go. That you are a physician and not a nurse will matter only when it comes time to assign liability. In every other instance, the nurse outranks you. (And, please, don't take this the wrong way. This isn't meant to be an insult. Some of my easiest-going colleagues are tools.)

Reactions: 4 users
I can only speak generally about Southern California Permanente. I understand that there is at least one hospital that is physician-only, but the rest of the hospitals put doctors and CRNAs in "parallel" tracks. That is better than the care team model (in my mind, anyway), but far inferior to physician only.

I would say that Kaiser is for "the fat part of the bell curve" anesthesiologists. Superstars aren't going to be happy because it's an employee mindset throughout the hospital from top to bottom and excellence simply cannot be appreciated. Truly terrible anesthesiologists will do better with Envision or IAMG.

The Kaiser system will try make every anesthesiologist "average." Just like all EPIC notes are now average (unremarkable in every way except for how bloated they are), the skills and talents of the top performers are sacrificed to bring the bottom half up. Kaiser is not looking to push any envelopes or innovate in any way whatsoever. I would liken Kaiser's tried and true "best practices" to the reliable and reproducible recipe for the Big Mac. Big Macs aren't meant to stand out in any way whatsoever except their reproducibility and low cost. At Kaiser you won't be asked to hone skills, specialize, or innovate--just to shut yer yap and proceed with the cases you're assigned. A Kaiser anesthesiologist is a hospital employee who is good at following algorithms and not asking questions.

Oh, and you absolutely have to be a tool. Meetings, clipboards, neckties, a$$-kissing, never ending memoranda: if those things don't rub you the wrong way, Kaiser is the way to go. That you are a physician and not a nurse will matter only when it comes time to assign liability. In every other instance, the nurse outranks you. (And, please, don't take this the wrong way. This isn't meant to be an insult. Some of my easiest-going colleagues are tools.)

Also per good friend/colleague, they want you to "contribute" but no matter if you give all your free time up to help and try to improve things you are still just a cog in the wheel. there are plenty of those at kaiser who want to do admin and less clinical and can climb up the ranks but if you are happy just being a replaceable body then kp is for you. No matter how much of a "rockstar" you are you are not in any way special or are not above being marginalized if you make certain people unhappy. Also massive "cancel culture" atmosphere going on (for all specialties) so don't make jokes.

Also per good friend/colleague, they want you to "contribute" but no matter if you give all your free time up to help and try to improve things you are still just a cog in the wheel. there are plenty of those at kaiser who want to do admin and less clinical and can climb up the ranks but if you are happy just being a replaceable body then kp is for you. No matter how much of a "rockstar" you are you are not in any way special or are not above being marginalized if you make certain people unhappy. Also massive "cancel culture" atmosphere going on (for all specialties) so don't make jokes.

That sounds like ****

The hard truth is that 98% of us are cogs in the wheel. You (We and I included) are not special. We do not provide any exceptional anesthetic or bring anything supremely good to the table. We are more educated, more adept at leading, and are better prepared than CRNAs, but within the physician anesthesiologist ranks most of us are simply average. What constitutes a rockstar anyways? Place a spinal faster? Insert a central line in 5 minutes instead of 7? One fewer interscalene block needle adjustment? It is extremely hard to stand out and most times is not worth the risk. I'm content with that fact. The sooner the other 98% of you do, the happier you will be.

I recommend the following:

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life by Mark Manson, Hardcover | Barnes & Noble® (barnesandnoble.com)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Interesting "judgment." I work at a Northern California Kaiser. We discharge >90% of our total joint patients same day, have input on anesthesia-led care pathways where we can significantly improve patient care on big cancer whacks/thoracic/hpb cases, and routinely hire chief residents from the best programs on the East and West Coasts. Biannual regional anesthesia workshops with models and presenters to keep skills fresh and our department members run the ORs in multiple hospitals. Keep fellating yourself.

Reactions: 3 users
Interesting "judgment." I work at a Northern California Kaiser. We discharge >90% of our total joint patients same day, have input on anesthesia-led care pathways where we can significantly improve patient care on big cancer whacks/thoracic/hpb cases, and routinely hire chief residents from the best programs on the East and West Coasts. Biannual regional anesthesia workshops with models and presenters to keep skills fresh and our department members run the ORs in multiple hospitals. Keep fellating yourself.

I'm happy for you, Jimbo. You seem to have found a place that, ahem, suits you.

"Input on anesthesia-led care pathways"
"Significantly improve patient care"
"Biannual anesthesia workshops"
"Our department members run the ORs in multiple (but NOT ALL) hospitals"

It hurts my fingers just to type such empty corporate BS. But--and in this I'm 100% sincere--I'm glad you can do it. If there weren't anesthesiologists who wanted to play corporate stooge in meetings, then some lesser-trained CRNA would grab the clipboard. So, you have my most sincere congratulations.

I do have a couple of questions: what sort of sorry ass hospital allows its ORs to be run by anybody but an anesthesiologist? I wouldn't have thought that is even a thing. I can only hope that the Kaiser ORs that aren't under an anesthesiologist's management answer to a Chief of Surgery in some capacity or another. But I fear that we're talking about a Nurse OR manager. Shake my damn head, as the kids say.

Second: in your mind, does "chief resident" mean anything other than "most polished tool?" In my program literally every resident who wanted to be chief resident was allowed. Two of the years, only one schmuck would agree. The other year, two acted as "co-chiefs." In the spring of my CA-3 year the next class decided nobody wanted the job, so they conned three residents into sharing the pain. It's possible that you are perhaps referring to some programs where the chief year is an additional year between residency and fellowship. But, my friend, any tool who willingly sticks around for ACGME salary an extra year is, by definition, not suitable for private practice. Yikes, if those are the recruits you're bragging about.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Their ophthalmologists are consistently way above average. They came to our surgicenter for a few years. I really miss them.

I'm happy for you, Jimbo. You seem to have found a place that, ahem, suits you.

"Input on anesthesia-led care pathways"
"Significantly improve patient care"
"Biannual anesthesia workshops"
"Our department members run the ORs in multiple (but NOT ALL) hospitals"

It hurts my fingers just to type such empty corporate BS. But--and in this I'm 100% sincere--I'm glad you can do it. If there weren't anesthesiologists who wanted to play corporate stooge in meetings, then some lesser-trained CRNA would grab the clipboard. So, you have my most sincere congratulations.

I do have a couple of questions: what sort of sorry ass hospital allows its ORs to be run by anybody but an anesthesiologist? I wouldn't have thought that is even a thing. I can only hope that the Kaiser ORs that aren't under an anesthesiologist's management answer to a Chief of Surgery in some capacity or another. But I fear that we're talking about a Nurse OR manager. Shake my damn head, as the kids say.

Second: in your mind, does "chief resident" mean anything other than "most polished tool?" In my program literally every resident who wanted to be chief resident was allowed. Two of the years, only one schmuck would agree. The other year, two acted as "co-chiefs." In the spring of my CA-3 year the next class decided nobody wanted the job, so they conned three residents into sharing the pain. It's possible that you are perhaps referring to some programs where the chief year is an additional year between residency and fellowship. But, my friend, any tool who willingly sticks around for ACGME salary an extra year is, by definition, not suitable for private practice. Yikes, if those are the recruits you're bragging about.

The nurses 100% run the ORs at KP. There are nurse managers on top of nurse managers at each hospital that control how many rooms can go and until what time etc. The Anesthesiologist is there to facilitate their mandates. The amount of nurse administration there is unparalleled.

I work here and I think it’s a decent enough gig, though clearly not for everyone. It’s not the best but it certainly isn’t the worst. There is no shortage of terrible/shady jobs in SoCal.

Not sure what cthrowaway means by parallel tracks. We supervise CRNAs and also do our own cases. There is no independent CRNA practice. We run the OR.

It’s a job doing anesthesia where the compensation is transparent and reasonable, the hours are predictable, and most everyone is competent. You can try to ascend the corporate ladder, or you can just do anesthesia and go home and live your life. Shrug.

Reactions: 7 users
I work here and I think it’s a decent enough gig, though clearly not for everyone. It’s not the best but it certainly isn’t the worst. There is no shortage of terrible/shady jobs in SoCal.

Not sure what cthrowaway means by parallel tracks. We supervise CRNAs and also do our own cases. There is no independent CRNA practice. We run the OR.

It’s a job doing anesthesia where the compensation is transparent and reasonable, the hours are predictable, and most everyone is competent. You can try to ascend the corporate ladder, or you can just do anesthesia and go home and live your life. Shrug.
How in the world this is reasonable compensation? The KP in southern cali pays like $120/hour on W-2 for locum jobs. This is almost a nurse pay rate.

How in the world this is reasonable compensation? The KP in southern cali pays like $120/hour on W-2 for locum jobs. This is almost a nurse pay rate.

The per diem rates are not that low anymore. Your information is several years old. I agree though that it is still not high enough that I would want to work per diem long term.

Pay/benefits difference as associate/partner are significant vs per diem. Again, not the best or highest. But reasonable in my opinion.

People apply here from all types of other practices, and they rarely leave once they’re here. Make of that what you will.

Last edited:
The per diem rates are not that low anymore. Your information is several years old. I agree though that it is still not high enough that I would want to work per diem long term.

Pay/benefits difference as associate/partner are significant vs per diem. Again, not the best or highest. But reasonable in my opinion.

People apply here from all types of other practices, and they rarely leave once they’re here. Make of that what you will.

per diems are making $200/hour at so cal KP right now which is much much more than the associates make.

My info is from 3 months ago when I spoke with their recruiter. $120/hour, W-2 as per diem.

Partners make way more than $200/hr. And a majority of those hours are paid down time. You can work like a dog in the OR and make the same as we do at Kaiser. $500k, plus 11 weeks paid vacation. Cog in the wheel? Lol ok.

Partners make way more than $200/hr. And a majority of those hours are paid down time. You can work like a dog in the OR and make the same as we do at Kaiser. $500k, plus 11 weeks paid vacation. Cog in the wheel? Lol ok.
500K at KP? What a joke! By the way, the definition of partner in KP system is not like a traditional partnership. You only get their pension plan after working 3 years. That's it!

false. Partners without fellowship start at like $150-160 range an hour. This is SO CAL Kaiser were talking about.

false. Partners without fellowship start at like $150-160 range an hour. This is SO CAL Kaiser were talking about.
Everyone on here telling me how much money I make as a Kaiser SoCal Partner Anesthesiologist. No wonder I stopped coming to this forum. 🙄

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

That actually sounds pretty good

Everyone on here telling me how much money I make as a Kaiser SoCal Partner Anesthesiologist. No wonder I stopped coming to this forum. 🙄

my friend who’s a new partner showed me his hourly rate it’s as I said. Not sure how many years out you are or if you get a stipend but they do NOT make $200 an hour til maybe their last pay raise.

my friend who’s a new partner showed me his hourly rate it’s as I said. Not sure how many years out you are or if you get a stipend but they do NOT make $200 an hour til maybe their last pay raise.

i can vouch i saw like $163 an hour for a partner but they get 1.2x overtime and 1.5x overnight

Is that 500k including benefits or just straight salary? Also how do u get 11 weeks paid vacation? The socal kaiser benefits pdf maxes out the vacation days/year at 28 after 10 years.

i can vouch i saw like $163 an hour for a partner but they get 1.2x overtime and 1.5x overnight

I have never earned the hourly rate listed in my contract. $160/hr is just the base rate used as a multiplier. And we don’t need to work over 40 hours to earn 1.2 and 1.5x anymore. It’s a complicated system, so stop making assumptions. I’m willing to answer any questions you might have.

Is that 500k including benefits or just straight salary? Also how do u get 11 weeks paid vacation? The socal kaiser benefits pdf maxes out the vacation days/year at 28 after 10 years.
$500k was my 2020 YTD, I don’t include any benefits. That’s cash in my pocket. If it wasn’t for COVID, I was on pace to make a grip more as I did in 2019.

28 days max is for associates. Partners max out at 33. Plus 15 Ed leave. Most places only get 5 Ed leave days so again, KP isn’t a monolith. 22 days sick leave. 6 days holiday pay.

$500k was my 2020 YTD, I don’t include any benefits. That’s cash in my pocket. If it wasn’t for COVID, I was on pace to make a grip more as I did in 2019.

28 days max is for associates. Partners max out at 33. Plus 15 Ed leave. Most places only get 5 Ed leave days so again, KP isn’t a monolith. 22 days sick leave. 6 days holiday pay.

How much are you working to hit those numbers?

45-50 hours a week. And the nature of the work is light compared to private practice since most of the time is spent out of the OR.

So they’re paying you like $257/hr??

That is an exceptional deal. You hiring???

I work with GassmanMD and can vouch for all his numbers. To clarify, we get paid vacation, so it's not $257/hour but does come close to that when you're at the overnight 1.5x rate depending on how long you've been a partner.

I work with GassmanMD and can vouch for all his numbers. To clarify, we get paid vacation, so it's not $257/hour but does come close to that when you're at the overnight 1.5x rate depending on how long you've been a partner.
Which kaiser u work for? How many call u take per month?

@GassmanMD , how many years did it take you to work your way up to your current money per hours worked level?

You guys hiring? I thought socal was just allied anesthesia et al so I didn't even look

How many dollar u make first year?

Remember the pension as well. Most of us who came here straight from residency will get around 40-50% of our base. You can retire and take that starting at age 58 with no actuarial adjustment.

Last edited:
$500k for 50hrs/week is pretty accurate for partners by around year 7.

Remember the pension as well. Most of us who came here straight from residency will get around 40-50% of our base. You can retire and take that starting at age 58 with no actuarial adjustment.

I don’t live in CA, and I’ve only ever heard how everyone should leave unless you can’t. Based on the info here KP is offering an exceedingly sweet deal between partner pay and pension.

Fairly funny given how often KP gets crushed here. Seems to me it’s a hidden gem considering all the dumpster fire recruiting emails I get for CA jobs.

I have never earned the hourly rate listed in my contract. $160/hr is just the base rate used as a multiplier. And we don’t need to work over 40 hours to earn 1.2 and 1.5x anymore. It’s a complicated system, so stop making assumptions. I’m willing to answer any questions you might have.

you earn 1.2 after 6pm and on weekends and 1.5x after midnight. your pay is $160/hour (goes up yearly) until it hits one of those. Not sure why you are arguing a fact. that being said yes you can make 500k working when you include the overtime/extra hours.

If Kaiser was physician only it would be the dream gig. But alas...

If Kaiser was physician only it would be the dream gig. But alas...

There is one or two that is MD only but majority has CRNAs. They have their own CRNA school so its inevitable.

you earn 1.2 after 6pm and on weekends and 1.5x after midnight. your pay is $160/hour (goes up yearly) until it hits one of those. Not sure why you are arguing a fact. that being said yes you can make 500k working when you include the overtime/extra hours

you are conflating a base rate with total compensation package divided by hours worked. Anyone who cares about the former is misguided. It’s like running a PCEA at 10cc/hr but they hit their button 6 times an hour. What is the total hourly rate of administration? Is it 10?