Southern California Kaiser Anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hope the people taking these jobs in California need to live in California because the pay is terrible compared to the cost of living. There are any number of jobs in podunk town USA that pay more money to work less and live in areas with 50% cost of living compared to California.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Double double animal style +/- chilis definitely lives up to the hype. Even Gordon Ramsey likes it.

Gotta go with the “whole grilled” onion.

And don’t forget to try a Flying Dutchman when you’re really hungry.

I hope the people taking these jobs in California need to live in California because the pay is terrible compared to the cost of living. There are any number of jobs in podunk town USA that pay more money to work less and live in areas with 50% cost of living compared to California.

We need a separate “Podunk Town Jobs” thread;) I bet it would be really interesting and eye opening.

That said, I saw the average home price in the US is now around $350k which is about half of Ca. The COL gap might be closing....slightly.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Why not just a burger with the fixins

You people with your animal burgers and all that

Animal style is distinct from just all the fixins.

The Dutchman gets you a grilled cheese on each side in place of the buns.

Reactions: 1 user

500k w 11 weeks off is pretty good with the # of hours worked. pace slower than PP too

Reactions: 2 users
We need a separate “Podunk Town Jobs” thread;) I bet it would be really interesting and eye opening.

That said, I saw the average home price in the US is now around $350k which is about half of Ca. The COL gap might be closing....slightly.

SoCal housing price has increased by 20%+ in the past year. Some places almost 40%. With high income tax, sales tax, and gas price, the col gap is definitely not closing.

But then you have to live in podunk town, USA.

Money isn’t everything, and some people (myself included) choose to enjoy their working years just as much as their retirement years by living in what others consider vacation spots. It never made sense to me why people would want to spend another 10+ years of what little is left of their youth (since we all were dumb enough to piss away our 20s studying hard and going to m ed sc hool) slaving away in BFE just to make money and retire early. The fun stuff you can do with all that money will be much more limited when you're older and you retire, and a good portion will probably go to your increasing medical expenses when your joints and organs start to give way.

But again, to each their own. I choose not to own a plane or a yacht, live in a decent house, and have paradise at my doorstep.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

Money isn’t everything, and some people (myself included) choose to enjoy their working years just as much as their retirement years by living in what others consider vacation spots.

My very first words were pointing out that it is fine if you need to live there, but worth acknowledging the terrible pay relative to cost of living.

Along with your point, though, as someone who chooses to live in a relatively less prestigious area I really don't mind. I go to work in the morning, spend time in ORs that don't have windows to look at anything anyway, then come home to the family in the afternoon/evening, enjoy home cooked meals and play with the kids. I can't imagine I would do anything different Monday-Friday if I was living in Manhattan or LA other than have a worse commute. On the weekends I can spend time at the beach or the mountains or do whatever other fun stuff I want to do.

Reactions: 1 users

Money isn’t everything, and some people (myself included) choose to enjoy their working years just as much as their retirement years by living in what others consider vacation spots. It never made sense to me why people would want to spend another 10+ years of what little is left of their youth (since we all were dumb enough to piss away our 20s studying hard and going to m ed sc hool) slaving away in BFE just to make money and retire early. The fun stuff you can do with all that money will be much more limited when you're older and you retire, and a good portion will probably go to your increasing medical expenses when your joints and organs start to give way.

But again, to each their own. I choose not to own a plane or a yacht, live in a decent house, and have paradise at my doorstep.

Also for anyone who is partial to podunk towns, California has many of its own;)

Members don't see this ad :)
My very first words were pointing out that it is fine if you need to live there, but worth acknowledging the terrible pay relative to cost of living.

Along with your point, though, as someone who chooses to live in a relatively less prestigious area I really don't mind. I go to work in the morning, spend time in ORs that don't have windows to look at anything anyway, then come home to the family in the afternoon/evening, enjoy home cooked meals and play with the kids. I can't imagine I would do anything different Monday-Friday if I was living in Manhattan or LA other than have a worse commute. On the weekends I can spend time at the beach or the mountains or do whatever other fun stuff I want to do.

Totally understand, I was just responding to your opening sentence which was “I hope the people taking these jobs in California need to live in California because the pay is terrible compared to the cost of living.” I don’t need to live in CA, but I want to. No CRNAs in most practices is also a plus :)

Also for anybunny who is partial to podunk towns, California has many of its own;)

Ya, but living there really doesn’t make any sense. If you’re gonna get slammed by the sunshine tax, then at least live somewhere you get to take advantage of it.

Reactions: 4 users
Totally understand, I was just responding to your opening sentence which was “I hope the people taking these jobs in California need to live in California because the pay is terrible compared to the cost of living.” I don’t need to live in CA, but I want to. No CRNAs in most practices is also a plus :)

I understand the location desire and I guess did not make it clear.

I am the same. I personally prefer smaller towns and cities. I don’t need nor care for fancy s hit. Can’t stand opera, can’t stand musicals, could care less about museums, could care less about fancy stuffy parties. But I do have to have a decent selection of food. It doesn’t have to be fancy but it’s gotta be decent.

I am the same. I personally prefer smaller towns and cities. I don’t need nor care for fancy s hit. Can’t stand opera, can’t stand musicals, could care less about museums, could care less about fancy stuffy parties. But I do have to have a decent selection of food. It doesn’t have to be fancy but it’s gotta be decent.

Even if you like fancy stuff it is kinda hard to do it Monday-Friday when you are working.

Wait so people work per diem in hopes of becoming
Yes, at some Kaisers the only way to get your foot in is to start as PD. Some places hire direct partnership track (Associate).

wait a min....going out to OC bc LA is tough? I thought people on here said the Hoag group is by far the hardest one in CA to get into....

What I meant to say is there aren't many (if any at all) good gigs in central LA. The good gigs are farther out like OC, ventura, Santa Barbara. However, I did not say they are easy to get. But in central LA, there are pretty much no great gigs unless we are talking academics. Some may consider the VA good if you are about the lifestyle and stability.

wait so to summarize this long thread... in socal first year base like 340... with potential to make more... and jump to 500 after making partner in year 4..?
Pension vests in 10 years, and you get like 33k per year for ever?
Any other retirement benefits like 403 match or whatever?

The $500k/yr is not the base for partners. But yes, once you make partner in 3 yrs you probably make high 400s-low 500s working high 40s-low 50s hrs/wk or so. The longer you are here obviously you hit that with less hours. Pension is vested in 10yrs but based on how many years you are there. You can make MUCH more than 33k/yr if you are there for a long time.

No match but overall benefit is excellent. too much details to type. but believe me its awesome.

Last edited:
Yes, at some Kaisers the only way to get your foot in is to start as PD. Some places hire direct partnership track (Associate).

What I meant to say is there aren't many (if any at all) good gigs in central LA. The good gigs are farther out like OC, ventura, Santa Barbara. However, I did not say they are easy to get. But in central LA, there are pretty much no great gigs unless we are talking academics. Some may consider the VA good if you are about the lifestyle and stability.
Speaking of central LA, I wonder how things worked out for Cedars recently with their adoption of the ACT model. They’ve definitely been advertising on Gasworks 😂. And still havent found a chairman yet. Lmao

Hey now. I get that it may not live up to the hype (especially for those that didn’t grow up eating there), but it’s still a damn good fast food burger. Not to mention the price to goodness ratio is unbeatable.
I refuse to wait in an In-N-Out line. I pushing all my chips in with Five Guys and I'll die on that hill lol

Makes no damn sense. Weather is so much nicer in LA. And so are the people.
LCD Soundsystem said it best, "New York I love you, but you're killing me". It's the greatest city on the planet, although an argument can be made for Paris, but there are definitely aspects that make it a hard place to live. I was there as a broke resident and it was some of the best years of my life but there are definitely times when it is absolutely hard. It's definitely a lifestyle choice.

Speaking of central LA, I wonder how things worked out for Cedars recently with their adoption of the ACT model. They’ve definitely been advertising on Gasworks 😂. And still havent found a chairman yet. Lmao

I think everyone needs people atm

I think that's a misconception about people wanting to live in the large coastal cities because the majority of people aren't fancy. A "mid-level" ie affordable/normal restaurant in NYC or LA is a place everyone go to and would be much better food than any TGI Fridays. ( All due respect to TGI Fridays lol)

And yeah, personally, I'm a culture snob. I judge cities based on their museum quality

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I really do enjoy these "Let's Dunk On California and NYC" thread because the hateration is next level lol

Reactions: 4 users
why? arent surgery volumes down? is it because everyone is leaving california?
My theory
1) surgical backlog
2)COVID retirements
3) People moving (cost, fires, petty crime, politics, etc)

I think the pandemic gave a lot of people to do soul searching and the ones who can't afford it arent going to try to . I also think a lot of old Californians at/near/post retirement are cashing out and moving to other similar climates. Lots of folks have gone to Portland, Seattle, Austin, Denver, Arizona, etc.

I think that's a misconception about people wanting to live in the large coastal cities because the majority of people aren't fancy. A "mid-level" ie affordable/normal restaurant in NYC or LA is a place anybunny can go to and would be much better food than any TGI Fridays. ( All due respect to TGI Fridays lol)

And yeah, personally, I'm a culture snob. I judge cities based on their museum quality

I live in a top 10 metro area and even that doesn’t offer enough culture for me sometimes. So pre-COVID, I found myself in LA all the time. For example I was able to catch the entire Philip Glass trilogy, Einstein on the Beach, Akhnaten, and Satyagraha at the LA Opera. And Philip glass himself did Q&A before the shows. I’m an unrepentant city boy although the mountains have their appeal too.

I live in a top 10 metro area and even that doesn’t offer enough culture for me sometimes. So pre-COVID, I found myself in LA all the time. For example I was able to catch the entire Philip Glass trilogy, Einstein on the Beach, Akhnaten, and Satyagraha at the LA Opera. And Philip glass himself did Q&A before the shows. I’m an unrepentant city boy although the mountains have their appeal too.

Just need someplace where the water is warm and the women are hot

Yeah man. I get it if people aren't in to "culture" then the big cities are just another expense, but pre-Covid I went to several NBA games, had walkable access to just about every concert imaginable ( my personal favorite was seeing Hans Zimmer), and I'm a sucker for museums so I enjoy going mid-week when no one is there and feeling like I own the place. I don't want to have to drive 3 hrs to do those things. And what's funny is all the things that people associate with "living in NYC" I never did any of those things and have fun time living there.

Just need someplace where the water is warm and the women are hot

Water is cold in LA (though warmer then bay area). Yes to the second.

Florida. The only downside is, it’s Florida
My exact words. Californians are a certain brain of crazy but man, there's something about the combination of sunshine, humidity, and mosquitoes that brings the special crazy out of people

I think that's a misconception about people wanting to live in the large coastal cities because the majority of people aren't fancy. A "mid-level" ie affordable/normal restaurant in NYC or LA is a place everyone go to and would be much better food than any TGI Fridays. ( All due respect to TGI Fridays lol)

Yea, we already know. LOL. You always up here talking about museums in regards to most city talk. I personally fall asleep at museums. Can master the art of falling asleep standing after like the 10th exhibit.

I have no clue who the above mentionable are. That's how cultured I am. By Einstein, you mean Einstein or is there another one. They do plays about him?
As long you got some decent ethnic food besides Chinese, and have a Cheddars scratch kitchen or its equivalent, Target/Walmart/Lowes/Homedepot I am good. Oh yeah, and an airport that doesn't only fly American. Gotta have an airport, will not compromise on that.

Water is cold in LA (though warmer then bay area). Yes to the second.
And that's why I don't get all the hype about West Coast beaches. The water is frigid. All you can do is sit on beach, can't even get in. I am from the tropics and our waters are pee pee warm and lovely.

Yea, we already know. LOL. You always up here talking about museums in regards to most city talk. I personally fall asleep at museums. Can master the art of falling asleep standing after like the 10th exhibit.
What actually are you in to? I"m just genuinely curious at this point