Southern California Kaiser Anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any job where you have to work with CRNAs is automatically not the best!!
Not here.
Supervising would suck…I agree. (Being completely responsible for another independent, well educated adults decision’s -but not quit as well educated or trained as you - is perhaps the dumbest thing humans have ever done to themselves…but greed is a sticky wicket.)

CRNAs work completely independent. They have to defend all their choices. It’s a great work environment actually. Very cordial.

Members don't see this ad.

Any job where you have to work with CRNAs is automatically not the best!!
It can be good... If you employ them. Also if the local supply demand/level is favorable The militant ones tend to loathe this so they tend to avoid these practices. Particularly if the doc group is solid.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not here.
Supervising would suck…I agree. (Being completely responsible for another independent, well educated adults decision’s -but not quit as well educated or trained as you - is perhaps the dumbest thing humans have ever done to themselves…but greed is a sticky wicket.)

CRNAs work completely independent. They have to defend all their choices. It’s a great work environment actually. Very cordial.

I’ve never worked with or alongside cRNas so I genuinely don’t know how it is, so please don’t mistake me for asking these questions, but I'm fascinated by this setup. How are cases assigned between you and the cRNas? Are you guys completely interchangeable? How do surgeons and other staff members treat you vs them? Are you guys just all “anesthesia” or are you a dr. epidural man and they are nurse anesthetist X?

Maybe you’re a stronger minded person than me with less of an ego, but it would irk the **** out of me if I was viewed as being interchangeable with some poorly trained ditz of a nurse.

And on that note, are you guys compensated equally? Hours worked? And regarding the choices that they have to defend, do you see egregious things being done by them or are they competent?

Reactions: 3 users
I think I rather supervise CRNAs than doing cases solo alongside with them. I’ve heard of groups like this (not your group) mostly in SE and NW region where both the MDs and CRNAs do cases independently solo. I heard the surgeon and OR nurses think of them as equal. They call them anesthesia providers….no thanks. Maybe yours is different.
I assume this is the future. Two tier medical system. Good care if you can afford it. Good enough for everyone else