Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm assuming rejection at this point, but has anyone heard anything back from Rockefeller (apart from the two earlier)? I believe in the past, they have sent out rejection notices, but tried e-mailing them to see when we would be updated as to our status, but complete radio silence on their end.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there,

I am just wondering if you are still in the same situation of not hearing anything from UCB?

Still nothing for me.

I'm still in the same situation. No news. I think they are probably doing another round of review or have placed us on waitlists.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know if people have received emails or are asking about their status? Also, have you tried to contact them?

People have posted of receiving rejections but no one has posted of recieving an acceptance yet. I think if you haven't received a rejection yet your application is either on a wait list or still being reviewed.

All set w/ the health insurance for Stanford :) Anyone here on the waitlist for UCSF SRTP Amgen?

Reactions: 1 user
People have posted of receiving rejections but no one has posted of recieving an acceptance yet. I think if you haven't received a rejection yet your application is either on a wait list or still being reviewed.

Hmm okay.. Seems like if people already know they are on the wait list, UCB should have sent out all acceptances?

If you don't mind me asking, what area are you interested in doing research?

Hmm okay.. Seems like if people already know they are on the wait list, UCB should have sent out all acceptances?

If you don't mind me asking, what area are you interested in doing research?

All of the PIs I listed were in the molecular and cell biology department. My GPA is only ~3.6 but I have significant research experience. I don't think UCB has sent out all acceptances yet. Someone posted earlier that by March 22nd last year only 1/3 of accepted students to UCB were notified.

All of the PIs I listed were in the molecular and cell biology department. My GPA is only ~3.6 but I have significant research experience. I don't think UCB has sent out all acceptances yet. Someone posted earlier that by March 22nd last year only 1/3 of accepted students to UCB were notified.

Well yay! There is still hope. Good luck :)
I applied to PIs in the Neuroscience/biomedical engineering department

Has anyone gotten accepted into UPENN Summer Pre-med Enrichment Program?

I'm assuming rejection at this point, but has anyone heard anything back from Rockefeller (apart from the two earlier)? I believe in the past, they have sent out rejection notices, but tried e-mailing them to see when we would be updated as to our status, but complete radio silence on their end.

Been waiting to hear something for long now... No e-mails regarding whatsoever. Is it always like this with Rockefeller?

Members don't see this ad :)

I was searching online for a UCB Amgen accepted page and stumbled upon this thread... I was admitted to UCB on Feb. 28th and received an email today that said the 24 students were chosen. They were asking for flight information, so I think that the final decisions are made. Best of luck with your summer plans.

I was searching online for a UCB Amgen accepted page and stumbled upon this thread... I was admitted to UCB on Feb. 28th and received an email today that said the 24 students were chosen. They were asking for flight information, so I think that the final decisions are made. Best of luck with your summer plans.

Well.. I guess that means everyone that hasn't heard from UCB Amgen is rejected :(. Thanks for providing the info.

Last edited:
Well.. I guess that means everyone that hasn't heard from UCB Amgen is rejected :(. Thanks for providing the info.

Went from having a chance to none at all haha. Thanks for letting us know! Seems rather strange to not hear anything back.

Since I know @swiftaspirations has been asking, I can confirm I was accepted to VSSA IGP on Feb. 7th and was given two weeks to make my decision. I realize it isn't UCRIP, but it at least gives you some idea. I also declined a MAYO appointment. Vanderbilt could still be working down their list, though they seem to make their decisions really fast.

Last edited:
Rejected: Columbia Amgen, Upenn
Accepted: MIT UROP, Northwestern SROP

Has anyone heard back from Vanderbilt VSAA or Johns Hopkins PSTAR?

Congrats to everyone and best of luck!

How have some people received rejections from Columbia while others have heard nothing? I assume they're done making decisions by now.

Rejected from University of Rochester Summer Scholars Program, waitlisted at Northwestern.

Have not heard anything yet from Vandy, but I think that one person received an acceptance.

Ugh I originally thought the email I got from Northwestern was an acceptance, but I just got another email saying I had been waitlisted... Does anybody have an idea of how hard it is to get into the program from a waitlist..?

Has anyone heard from any of the Cincinnati programs since the email they sent out on the 12th?

Applied to 11 programs, got rejected from 7 so far, wait listed at one in West Virginia, and accepted to one at the University of Pennsylvania. Still waiting to hear from a program at Pitt and one at the City College of NY. Will post the specific program names when I find out where I'm actually going.

Where do yu plan on going?

Where do yu plan on going?
Well I'm working in the same MIT lab that I do during the year so I'd prefer to go elsewhere, but I wouldn't mind staying. I'm just kind of disappointed about Northwestern.. oh well... I'm not sure if it's worth it to stay on the waitlist?

Rejected from Scripps SURF Program...........But accepted to MD Anderson's CPRIT program!!!!!!
For those of you who still haven't been accepted don't lose hope you may still get in somewhere. There is also still a program you can apply to at the Oregon Health and Science Institute with an April 1 deadline. I posted the link for this in a previous post.

Best of luck to all of you guys. I really do encourage applying to a wide variety of these programs (treat it like grad school or med school applications) I applied to 14 and this is my first and probably only acceptance.

Hey Kingrumak, this may sound weird, but I've been following your acceptances and posts and rooting for you to get in somewhere. Congratulations, you deserve it.

Sigh. Travelers rejected me, unfortunately. And stupidly enough I didn't apply broadly. So I have one more program which is a long shot and I'm applying to whatever programs will allow me to stay in NYC for the summer. I will probably work and volunteer. Oh well.

Hey Kingrumak, this may sound weird, but I've been following your acceptances and posts and rooting for you to get in somewhere. Congratulations, you deserve it.

Sigh. Travelers rejected me, unfortunately. And stupidly enough I didn't apply broadly. So I have one more program which is a long shot and I'm applying to whatever programs will allow me to stay in NYC for the summer. I will probably work and volunteer. Oh well.
Thanks I appreciate it. Don't get too discouraged. The rejection letter that I received from Vandy said that gaining acceptance to their VSSA program is harder than gaining acceptance to their graduate school and I imagine that this is true for the majority of summer programs. If you have the chance, just apply to more places next year. I filled out 14 applications which took some time but I ended up recycling my essays for nearly all of the programs so it wasn't too bad.

Best of luck.

Has anyone heard from any of the Cincinnati programs since the email they sent out on the 12th?

I'm patiently waiting to hear back. I got the email on the 12th and nothing since. Hoping it has to do with the fact that I sent my application in towards the end of February. Who knows.

Thanks I appreciate it. Don't get too discouraged. The rejection letter that I received from Vandy said that gaining acceptance to their VSSA program is harder than gaining acceptance to their graduate school and I imagine that this is true for the majority of summer programs. If you have the chance, just apply to more places next year. I filled out 14 applications which took some time but I ended up recycling my essays for nearly all of the programs so it wasn't too bad.

Best of luck.

Thanks. I'm a junior though, so this is it for me.

Applied to 11 programs, got rejected from 7 so far, wait listed at one in West Virginia, and accepted to one at the University of Pennsylvania. Still waiting to hear from a program at Pitt and one at the City College of NY. Will post the specific program names when I find out where I'm actually going.

What program at UPenn were you accepted into?

I'm patiently waiting to hear back. I got the email on the 12th and nothing since. Hoping it has to do with the fact that I sent my application in towards the end of February. Who knows.

I had my application in late January. I was looking at last year's thread people were hearing back around this time

Spoke to Cincinnati on phone on Friday and Today. Received conflicting information.

First heard that there only 60 spots filled w/ 90 to go.

Today was told that they have barely scoured through the 1,100 applications and there are LOTS of places to fill up.

Bottom line, there is still a lot of hope.

Also, they said we are to hear back on the 31st of March.

Reactions: 1 users
So I've been accepted to UTMB Galveston, but I'm trying to decide if I should take it or wait for other offers. Who else is going?

Spoke to Cincinnati on phone on Friday and Today. Received conflicting information.

First heard that there only 60 spots filled w/ 90 to go.

Today was told that they have barely scoured through the 1,100 applications and there are LOTS of places to fill up.

Bottom line, there is still a lot of hope.

Also, they said we are to hear back on the 31st of March.
Who did you speak to?

Sigghhhh....Im a senior so never going to have the opportunity again. Bummer.

Sigghhhh....Im a senior so never going to have the opportunity again. Bummer.
Don't worry about things you can't change! Just because you've encountered a roadblock doesn't mean that things will always be this way. I believe that you can succeed!

SEE YO ASSES IN CALI.... O WAIT NO I WONT!!!!! HAVE FUN WORKIN AT THE DOLLAR TREE. TRY NOT TO BREATHE ASBESTOS WHILE YOU WORKIN IN THAT BACK ROOM WITH THE UNISEX BATHROOM IN THE BACK CUZ YOU KNOW THEY AINT GOT NO SPECIAL SEPARATE ONES

Unisex bathrooms are way better for the trans community, just sayin'.

Hi, I'm new on here. I have been accepted into the university of Tennessee REU, but I haven't heard back from UNC, Emory, or the Stower's Institute. Has anyone heard back from them??

Hi, I'm new on here. I have been accepted into the university of Tennessee REU, but I haven't heard back from UNC, Emory, or the Stower's Institute. Has anyone heard back from them??
I applied for Stowers last year. I interviewed with Dr. Shilatifard on Feb. 8 and was officially rejected April 5. Hope this helps.

I applied for Stowers last year. I interviewed with Dr. Shilatifard on Feb. 8 and was officially rejected April 5. Hope this helps.
I was interviewed by Dr. Shilatifard a month ago and got rejected right at the end of interview haha

Has anyone had a response from the American Society for Microbiology Undergraduate Research Fellowship (ASM-URF)?

Thanks, I didn't get an interview so I'm assuming rejection.

Rejected UW Genomics and Pepperdine SURB.