Summer Research Application Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, etc.) 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mount Sinai actually sent the letter on February 8th, but they require quick responses so I declined

They did?!? By when did they ask you to give a response? So which program are you choosing?

To gettheleadout, our letters last year said there were 13 spots for over 400 applicants.

Members don't see this ad.

What are the chances of getting into SIP at john Hopkins if you are on the waiting list. Has anyone experienced it last year?..what was the outcome...any help is greatly appreciated!!!!

Did anyone else hear anything from Mt. Sinai? This was my top choice!

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard that they are accepting about 15 (or maybe it was 25 I don't quite remember) out of 453 applications for Mt. Sinai

so does anyone know if getting an invitation for an interview mean that you are basically accepted? how seriously should I treat an interview with a postdoc of the lab for summer internship?

I called them about an hour ago...so does anyone know how I should deal with an interview invite from a postdoc in a lab for research internship? cause I got one and I'm just wondering if it's a defintie yes or not:)

I called them about an hour ago...so does anyone know how I should deal with an interview invite from a postdoc in a lab for research internship? cause I got one and I'm just wondering if it's a defintie yes or not:)

I had an interview with the department head at a local research institute, and it was a definite yes.. He just showed me the lab protocol as well as the lab equipment, and then we worked out a schedule for me to come in.

Stanford AMGEN sent out an email saying the admissions committee asked for more time to evaluate applications, so they'll be releasing decisions sometime next week for those of you who applied!

I had an interview with the department head at a local research institute, and it was a definite yes.. He just showed me the lab protocol as well as the lab equipment, and then we worked out a schedule for me to come in.

was that for summer internship? So I guess I shouldn't fail the interview but should not be super stressed about it since it basically means I'm in? :)

I guess I should also come up with some questions to ask about the lab right?

Members don't see this ad :)
was that for summer internship? So I guess I shouldn't fail the interview but should not be super stressed about it since it basically means I'm in? :)

Yes, it's for a regular summer internship. I was a research assistant, and I learned many useful skills, like PCR and Southern Blotting.

During that interview, he just asked me questions about myself and how far along I was at in college. Then, he talked about his research and his findings over the past decade. Finally, we took a tour of the lab and gave me the lab protocol, and that was that.

I was so stressed out before the interview, but he was pretty laid back and was willing to help! I hope your interview goes well! :luck: :luck:

You should still try to do your best at the interview. When I interviewed at labs at my home institution, the PIs/postdocs often were interviewing most of the students they were interested (and that was probably like 6-7 students) and often picked the one that was best suited for their work.

Did anyone apply to St. Jude POE? It's definitely my top choice, but as always, the likelihood of acceptance is extreeeemely low : /

Still waiting to hear back from Columbia AMGEN, Mt. Sinai, Einstein, Stowers, Siteman Cancer Center, and the Cell and Molecular Biology program at University of Missouri.

Rejected from NYU yesterday along with the other 1200 :(

Yes, I applied to St. Jude POE also and haven't heard anything yet. I'm fairly dubious that I'll get in. Also, the email they sent to confirm that they had received your application was bordering on rude... I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I was accepted to OHSU's Primate Research Center Undergraduate Summer Fellowship this morning, if anyone is wondering about that program.

They said to get back to them by February 15th and then I got an extension to the 20th. But I'm holding with UPenn right now until I have to respond on March 21st so I can hear back from other places.

Rejected from Sloan Monday

Found out Tuesday I got into Vanderbilt Summer Science Academy (VSSA)!!!

Still waiting to hear back from UOregon, UMinn, U of Rochester, and Columbia's Amgen program. Unless I miraculously get into Columbia I will most likely be spending my summer at Vanderbilt.

Anyone else know if they'll be doing VSSA?

Rejected from Sloan Monday

Found out Tuesday I got into Vanderbilt Summer Science Academy (VSSA)!!!

Still waiting to hear back from UOregon, UMinn, U of Rochester, and Columbia's Amgen program. Unless I miraculously get into Columbia I will most likely be spending my summer at Vanderbilt.

Anyone else know if they'll be doing VSSA?

You heard from VSSA? For which program? I heard letters go out on different dates depending on which program you applied to.

so far i got an interview for an on-campus research funding program thing, and i'm waiting to hear back from UCSD SURF, UC Berkeley Cal Teach Summer Institute, and Stanford HCOP (which i just submitted)

rejected ucsd surf :(

$6000 grant approved for summer research : )

You heard from VSSA? For which program? I heard letters go out on different dates depending on which program you applied to.

The molecular and cellular biology program (IGP).

Updating with rough numbers for Mt. Sinai (credit to smarts and yjj):

NYU Sackler SURP: 30 positions + 20 alternates / ~1250 applicants = 2.4% acceptance rate (4% including alternates)
Johns Hopkins SIP (all divisions): 85 positions / 1146 applicants = 7.4% acceptance rate
Mt. Sinai SURP
: 13-25 positions / 400-453 applicants = 2.9-6.3% acceptance rate

Anyone have numbers for Sloan-Kettering? Trying to pick out the most popular programs, though I'd like to get as complete a list as possible.

Last edited:
So i got into John Hopkins and BWH Stars at Harvard but rejected from cornell...Yay lol

rejected ucsd surf :(

Awww, :(.
How did you feel about your application?
You still have a shot at the other programs! Good luck! :luck::xf:
I'm still waiting to hear from UCSD SURF!

I'm still waiting to hear from UCSD Amgen too... I REALLY am dying to know about the DAAD-RISE program though!

RISE acceptances came out earlier this week. They may be doing it in waves, but just wanted to let you know.

so the one I supposedly got in (interview invite) does not offer housing, which means I have to find apt near the campus. do people usually find a roommate or just live by themselves when they are doing a summer research internship?

Yeah. That's why I said they are probably doing it in waves. But the first wave has already heard for sure :)

so the one I supposedly got in (interview invite) does not offer housing, which means I have to find apt near the campus. do people usually find a roommate or just live by themselves when they are doing a summer research internship?

Yea you should definitely try and find someone to split that cost of living or else spending all that money would not be worth it.

Yea you should definitely try and find someone to split that cost of living or else spending all that money would not be worth it.
ok so how do you find a roommate? should I be with another person in the same research program?

Wishing you guys the best! Has anyone heard from Case Western Pharmacology yet?

ok so how do you find a roommate? should I be with another person in the same research program?

YES! absolutely! Make a facebook group and email the program director with the link so they can email it to all the other people in the program. From there you can coordinate and network to find a roommate. If everyone in the program can manage to live near each other it will definitely make it a very fun experience.

Which program did you apply for? I applied to the clinical research one and still haven't heard back...

Anyone in this program (STEP, SURF, and SURP)? Let's make a facebook group so that we can meet each other and find roommates etc. etc. Apparently facebook is not letting me make a group unless I can add some other people. Then we can send this link to the coordinator so that the coordinator can send the link to all selected students.

thank you!:)

Where are people who got accepted to mayo going to live, im not really a fan of the options theyve given us

I applied for the clinical research program too and have yet to hear back! : /

YES! absolutely! Make a facebook group and email the program director with the link so they can email it to all the other people in the program. From there you can coordinate and network to find a roommate. If everyone in the program can manage to live near each other it will definitely make it a very fun experience.

that's a great idea! anyone who got accepted to UMichigan Molecular and Integrative Physiology 2012 Summer Research please let me know :)

Updating with rough numbers for Mt. Sinai (credit to smarts and yjj):

NYU Sackler SURP: 30 positions + 20 alternates / ~1250 applicants = 2.4% acceptance rate (4% including alternates)
Johns Hopkins SIP (all divisions): 85 positions / 1146 applicants = 7.4% acceptance rate
Mt. Sinai SURP
: 13-25 positions / 400-453 applicants = 2.9-6.3% acceptance rate

Anyone have numbers for Sloan-Kettering? Trying to pick out the most popular programs, though I'd like to get as complete a list as possible.

HOOOOLLLLYYY mango. 2.4%? So freaking glad I applied to froofy positions within prestigious orgs! :p

Did anyone still not hear back from Hopkins?
I only heard back from the Nephrology and Polycystic Kidney Disease division, and that was it!