Summer Research Application Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, etc.) 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone heard from DAAD RISE yet? do they do silent rejections?

Anything from Mt Sinai or Rockefeller today?

Anyone previously accepted to DAAD/Rise? If so, can you please post your credentials? I am really depressed because of the GPA-based ranking system (I only have a 3.5 :scared:).

Rejected from UOregon SPUR :(.
Same. I'm kinda surprised cause I thought that was gonna end up being an easier one to get into, and I felt like the application and the PIs I applied to really fit my strong suits :/

i have not been contacted by any PhD students. i do, however have a 3.9GPA but i might have picked super competitive projects...

When Do ppl generally hear back from Mount Sinai? "Also are there "safety" summer science research programs to apply to? Suggestions anyone, I know its a bit late at this stage, but I already got 3 rejections and I want to keep my options open

Members don't see this ad :)
When Do ppl generally hear back from Mount Sinai? "Also are there "safety" summer science research programs to apply to? Suggestions anyone, I know its a bit late at this stage, but I already got 3 rejections and I want to keep my options open

I really don't know if there are safety summer research programs. As you can see, these programs are extremely competitive. If I were you, I would visit your local research institute with a resume at hand and try to get a voluntary research assistant position, if all seems bleak.

Insofar, I applied to three programs: NYU, Mt. Sinai and Hopkins. I got rejected from NYU but waitlisted at Hopkins. I'm still waiting to hear from Mt. Sinai. My backup plan is to continue being a research assistant at my local institute as well as study for the MCAT.... I'm trying to stay positive, and so should everyone here! I honestly think that these programs are tougher to get into than medical schools, but that's just me.

I really don't know if there are safety summer research programs. As you can see, these programs are extremely competitive. If I were you, I would visit your local research institute with a resume at hand and try to get a voluntary research assistant position, if all seems bleak.

Insofar, I applied to three programs: NYU, Mt. Sinai and Hopkins. I got rejected from NYU but waitlisted at Hopkins. I'm still waiting to hear from Mt. Sinai. My backup plan is to continue being a research assistant at my local institute as well as study for the MCAT.... I'm trying to stay positive, and so should everyone here! I honestly think that these programs are tougher to get into than medical schools, but that's just me.
"Safeties" are indeed few and far between. I have applied to a program that is extremely instate-biased and has a historical acceptance rate of ~15%, and though I wouldn't guarantee I'll get in I'd say it's the closest to a safety I have.

Also, I totally agree that these programs are more competitive than med school, and the data actually bear that out: NYU's med school acceptance rate is 5.8%, more than double the acceptance rate of their SURP. :p

has anyone heard from DAAD RISE yet? do they do silent rejections?

I don't think they do silent rejections. On the website it says that applicants would be told whether or not their application has been successful. The "or not" makes me think they'll tell us.

I have a 4.0 as well. I've been contacted by a phd student, and the conversation seemed promising, but I haven't heard anything back since then. I really don't think many (if any) decisions have gone out yet. I hope we hear soon though. This anticipation is driving me crazy!!

I don't think they do silent rejections. On the website it says that applicants would be told whether or not their application has been successful. The "or not" makes me think they'll tell us.

I have a 4.0 as well. I've been contacted by a phd student, and the conversation seemed promising, but I haven't heard anything back since then. I really don't think many (if any) decisions have gone out yet. I hope we hear soon though. This anticipation is driving me crazy!!

The first wave of acceptance decisions have already gone out. I think a few people heard last week.

In the case that nothing else works out, is anyone just volunteering here? I have spent the last two summers at my home college researching, and I don't know if I should continue on that or volunteer in a clinical setting...

Do you have any clinical experience as of now?

Year of shadowing a genera arterial surgeon's clinic (but not operation room), month of volunteering with gynecologist, that would be it. :(
I'm in the process of starting two volunteer services now in the hospitals nearby. But I wanna apply this year too...so

Hey everyone! I applied to three summer programs, and thus far have been rejected at one (Johns Hopkins SIP), waitlisted at one (Cornell Gateways to the Lab), and have yet to hear back from any of the sites for my third (The Leadership Alliance). As the Gateways program is my top choice, I was wondering if anyone had any clue how many students they typically take off the waitlist. Also, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about getting off the waitlist. I know for colleges its encouraged to write a letter to the admissions committee, does anyone know if this is appropriate for summer programs? Finally, I was wondering if anyone had any information regarding the Leadership Alliance notifications. I applied to sites at UChicago, Yale, and Tufts, and haven't heard anything yet. Sorry for all the questions, I hope this was the right thread to ask all this on (I'm new to this website)! Thanks again.

I've applied to summer programs at:

UTSW (UT-SUMR)
UTMB (SURP)
UCLA (PREP)
UMDNJ (SURP)
SUNY (SURF)
Harvard (Summer Program in Biological Sciences in Public Health)

I should hopefully hear from Harvard and UTMB this month. It's so nerve racking. :scared:

The others all state on their respective webpages that they will announce between April and May.

Today we find out about the Stanford Amgen Program. I still haven't heard back from the WUSTL or Berkeley Amgen Programs. Haven't been accepted to any programs so far though... so I'm really hoping. These are just crazy difficult programs to gain acceptance into. Last summer, I was in the MD Anderson SRP for College Students - I'm hoping my exposure to this type of research will not go against me in these applications. If anything, the experience has refined my interest in cancer biology research and expanded my interest in MD/PhD.

Here's to hope.

I wish you all the very best as well. This is what life is all about. Pushing yourself to your limits. Applying to the best programs out there. Never settle for less.

And most importantly, remember to pray for humility for success. Arrogance will wash away even the best of achievements. Humility will keep a person happy, even through failure. One of my friends told me that yesterday.

UGA REU-Accepted!
Tufts REU-
Uconn REU-
UOregon SPUR REU-
GA Tech SURE REU-

I got accepted to UGA, which is great. But I would love to be in Boston or Atlanta.

i still haven't heard back! did you hear directly from DAAD, or just from your PI?

Congrats!

And so if I haven't heard back, should I assume that I probably just didn't get in at this point?

Congrats!

And so if I haven't heard back, should I assume that I probably just didn't get in at this point?

I wouldn't assume anything yet! I know two people who did the program last year, and one received a response nearly two weeks after the other one. I just think they take a while to go through the match process.

Just received an internship through UT Southwestern SURF! I was on the waitlist- thanks to the person who gave up their spot ;)

Is anyone here accepted/waitlisted at Johns Hopkins' Nephrology and Polycystic Kidney Disease SIP division?

Rejected from WashU AMGEN. I already sort of suspected that one though ;)

Rejected from WashU Amgen. Rejected from 2/5, still waiting on 3, but my confidence is taking a bit of a beating...

Does anybody know what's going on with the Stanford Amgen Program?

I received this message from them: "Tomorrow-I will be sending an email out tomorrow. -m"

By "an email," I'm inferring the mass rejection email? Have they already accepted everybody into the program?

Yea, I was waitlisted. Do you have any idea when we'll get a definite answer?

Rejected from WashU AMGEN. I already sort of suspected that one though ;)

Ha, I'm really surprised you got rejected. You honestly have one of the best MDapps I've seen on this forum.
Keep your head up! The other programs would be stupid to pass you up!

Got off the UTSW SURF alternate list today too! Apparently, there are 150 people on that list... Now, I don't know whether I should got to U Pitt SURP or UTSW SURF. :( Does anyone have suggestions?

Got off the UTSW SURF alternate list today too! Apparently, there are 150 people on that list... Now, I don't know whether I should got to U Pitt SURP or UTSW SURF. :( Does anyone have suggestions?

Where are you from? Can you tolerate the terrible heat of a Dallas summer?

Ha, I'm really surprised you got rejected. You honestly have one of the best MDapps I've seen on this forum.
Keep your head up! The other programs would be stupid to pass you up!

Thank you so much :) You all have no idea how much I appreciate that... especially since I had a horrible practice MCAT today... ugh. But I'm not too worried since I have a backup in case I don't get in anywhere.

UTSW! Although my opinion might not be the best since I'm really biased because my entire family is from Texas ;)