Summer Research Application Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, etc.) 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is a great thread, lots of information. I have looked at a couple programs, only to find that it's directed to URMs or those not interested in dental/law/MD.

I'm currently a community college student (transferring soon). No research experience. I've only taken a couple science courses and will be able to get a LOR from one professor for sure, but most programs require two. I'm also a 1st generation if it helps.

I don't really know where to apply. NIH SIP has a program designed for community college students, but then I'm not sure where I could get another LOR. These programs sound like great experiences. I plan on getting into research as soon as I transfer. If I can't get into a program, I plan on working (non-medically related) over the summer. Would a lack of summer experience have a negative affect on a graduate school application, or am I just being neurotic?

If you don't have a lot of research experience, try looking into an REU. Those programs tend to target people who don't have much research experience due to transferring or attending a college/university where you don't have as much access to research. One of my first research experiences was through an REU and the people in my program definitely didn't have a ton of research experience. You can find listings for these programs here: http://www.nsf.gov/crssprgm/reu/reu_search.cfm

Obviously if you only apply to REUs at Harvard and Princeton, it will be very difficult to get into one and a lot of people in those programs will have research experience. If you're serious about doing a summer internship, apply broadly to some different and, to an extent, lesser known programs that interest you and should have a pretty good shot.

As to whether not doing one would negatively impact your application, no, it won't really except maybe to the top research schools. As long as you're doing something productive with your summer, I don't think it matters greatly unless you plan on doing an MD/PhD program. If you do plan on doing non-medical work over the summer, try and fit in some shadowing or clinical volunteering.

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't have a lot of research experience, try looking into an REU. Those programs tend to target people who don't have much research experience due to transferring or attending a college/university where you don't have as much access to research. One of my first research experiences was through an REU and the people in my program definitely didn't have a ton of research experience. You can find listings for these programs here: http://www.nsf.gov/crssprgm/reu/reu_search.cfm

Obviously if you only apply to REUs at Harvard and Princeton, it will be very difficult to get into one and a lot of people in those programs will have research experience. If you're serious about doing a summer internship, apply broadly to some different and, to an extent, lesser known programs that interest you and should have a pretty good shot.

As to whether not doing one would negatively impact your application, no, it won't really except maybe to the top research schools. As long as you're doing something productive with your summer, I don't think it matters greatly unless you plan on doing an MD/PhD program. If you do plan on doing non-medical work over the summer, try and fit in some shadowing or clinical volunteering.

I will look into the REU program. Thank you for the link and informative reply. I appreciate it.

A 3.2 is fine for most of the research programs, just apply broadly. A lot of them have a minimum requirement of 3.0, besides amgen scholars which has a requirement of 3.2.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a lot of these programs seem to want potential PhD students. Would it hurt to say I hope to do MD/PhD or MD with research?
I know genuinely want to pursue either of the two, but I know I'm not going to do PhD only.

I know a lot of these programs seem to want potential PhD students. Would it hurt to say I hope to do MD/PhD or MD with research?
I know genuinely want to pursue either of the two, but I know I'm not going to do PhD only.

That is true, but I would just be honest about what you want to do and say you're considering those two options. I would say out of the 50 people at my program last summer, probably half of them wanted to go MD (as to how many actually said this when they applied, I don't know. I know two of my roommates said in their application they wanted to do MD with a research focus) and the other half was split between MD/PhD and PhD only.

So far I have 11 different programs picked out. Even though the programs kind of give information about what they'd like to see in it, I've never written a personal statement in my life lol. Got to get started somewhere though, right? Good luck everyone! :)

where am i going to get all these LORs from?! :scared:
If you have any previous research experience, try to get one from your PI. If not, many programs specify who they want recommendations from or what they want them to be able to say (which helps you determine who to get them from.) In general, try a faculty advisor or science professor, but again be sure to check each program's requirements.

They are so hard to write in a way that you want it to be precise and perfect for the desired program.
As for me, I'm writing it for Summer Research programs and I'm just having a real tough time putting it together (writersblock)!
Anyone else struggling? This is my first day trying to write it, are you guys making individualized P.S. for each school?
As for me I'm trying to incorporate my experiences in life and make it kind of like a 2 page "bio" of myself and how and why I want to get involved in their perspective program.
I don't want it to look like a essay with tabulations of scientific stuff I want to do without any inspiration or experience stemming from it.
Should I cater the essay to being interested in the program and then listing my accomplishments, achievements, and abilities that I can offer in lab and leave out all the life experiences out? I don't really know if that's considered a filler for stuff like that.
Blah... I think I'm overthinking this too much.
Time to get to writing again.
I'll probably spend the whole day writing pieces of different paragraphs then eventually deleting the whole thing because I did not like how it sounds.
Also, would it be good to write a little bit about an independent study I am on? It is Neuroscience and even though I haven't done any formal lab work, I created an abstract outlining the whole project with specific aims and various hypothesis, even for other students as it is a small group project.

Members don't see this ad :)
@JohnnyRomanes

write about stuff that is meaningful to YOU. things that you consider will set you apart from the rest. when i write an essay, i try to always think about what everyone else usually writes and then do completely the opposite.

My ochem teacher says "this is the only weekend you have to party" and that "he threw up when he drank a lot, and he's still alive"

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk

I put that in the wrong thread... but there's no more time to party now that it's the second half of the first (coincidentally 3-day) weekend, so... enter Winter 2012 :eek:

This is probably going to be a really dumb question, but can I apply to any of these programs if I'm currently a senior?

This is probably going to be a really dumb question, but can I apply to any of these programs if I'm currently a senior?

Depends on which programs. It'll say on the program websites who's eligible.

can anyone chime in about their experience with SURF?

A lot of programs do not allow Senior who are graduating prior to the program.
Mayo, NIH, and some REU's do allow this though, I'm not sure.
Best to check it up or email the programs office.

how many do most people apply too? and what are most of you guys state (gpa, research exp etc.)

how many do most people apply too? and what are most of you guys state (gpa, research exp etc.)
I'm applying to a small handful of mostly mid and low-tier summer programs.

Info: Sophomore, ~3.9 cGPA, ~3.85 sGPA (4.0 last 2 semesters for both cGPA and sGPA), 1 year research, bunch of awards, 1st generation college student, average undergrad, a little volunteering, a little work experience, etc...

I'm applying to a small handful of mostly mid and low-tier summer programs.

Info: Sophomore, ~3.9 cGPA, ~3.85 sGPA (4.0 last 2 semesters for both cGPA and sGPA), 1 year research, bunch of awards, 1st generation college student, average undergrad, a little volunteering, a little work experience, etc...

Try AMGEN Scholars. They woud def take you. I think any summer program would take you.
Please don't apply Northwestern! I want that spot! :D

I scared I won't get accepted into one. Then I'd have to take summer classes. :(

I see people applying with 3.8+. Hopes and dreams are lost. :(
Not to mention I love Illinois so I am applying to all universities that have a summer program.

I see people applying with 3.8+. Hopes and dreams are lost. :(
Not to mention I love Illinois so I am applying to all universities that have a summer program.
Just remember that a) the likelihood we are applying to the same program is, well, very unlikely and b) SDN is self-selected (i.e., we don't exactly represent the average SURP applicant). ;)

Not a lot of people no about them either. :thumbup:
Chances increased!

What exactly would a high school senior do for research? I am waiting on acceptances from colleges and want to do some research this summer before entering college. I was wondering if that makes me an undergrad or a high school student still? I want to apply to my local hospital's research program (LIJ Hospital).

Yes, it will hurt unless it is evident from your application that you are someone who will be going to be actively involved in research. Many people significantly underestimate how difficult REU/SURP programs are - be sure to apply a lot because you will be rejected by most of them.

^ Is it really that hard to get accepted?
Any averages?

^ Is it really that hard to get accepted?
Any averages?

No averages, but last year I was accepted only to 1/6 programs. I didn't have any fantastic previous research experiences, but I had a GPA>3.9 and great LORs. It's definitely harder than most people think.

What exactly would a high school senior do for research? I am waiting on acceptances from colleges and want to do some research this summer before entering college. I was wondering if that makes me an undergrad or a high school student still? I want to apply to my local hospital's research program (LIJ Hospital).

You'll have to contact individual programs to see if you are eligible, as definitions of "undergrad" may vary from program to program. However, unless you have already done college level science classes with labs, it might be especially difficult for you to be accepted into a lab.

One option to consider is shadowing. Last summer my lab had a high school student (about to enter his senior year, family friend of the PI) shadow for a few hours a day for 2 weeks, and it worked out really well. We were able to teach him some basic techniques, he got some valuable experience, and everyone had a good time. So you might consider just emailing various PIs at local colleges and seeing if they would be amenable to you spending a few hours a day in their lab.

No averages, but last year I was accepted only to 1/6 programs. I didn't have any fantastic previous research experiences, but I had a GPA>3.9 and great LORs. It's definitely harder than most people think.

Freakin' hell. Did you apply top-tiers like the Amgen programsand Ivy leagues or the smaller schools?
I have around 8 schools I'm applying to (most situated around ILL and FL area) and my GPA is close to a 3.5. The good thing though is my sGPA is a 3.58.

Freakin' hell. Did you apply top-tiers like the Amgen programsand Ivy leagues or the smaller schools?
I have around 8 schools I'm applying to (most situated around ILL and FL area) and my GPA is close to a 3.5. The good thing though is my sGPA is a 3.58.

Kind of a mixture. I applied to Mayo, Vandy, and UChicago, but also Marquette and Medical College of Wisconsin, and was rejected from all of these. I was accepted at University of Virginia. It's an especially brutal process because many schools do silent rejections, which I find harsh and unnecessary.

Kind of a mixture. I applied to Mayo, Vandy, and UChicago, but also Marquette and Medical College of Wisconsin, and was rejected from all of these. I was accepted at University of Virginia. It's an especially brutal process because many schools do silent rejections, which I find harsh and unnecessary.

Crap!
There goes my hopes for Uchicago. (top 3 in choice)
^ was it the Molecular Genetics REU?
I thought Mayo would be kind of a pick and choose since I read that they accept 90-100.

Crap!
There goes my hopes for Uchicago. (top 3 in choice)
^ was it the Molecular Genetics REU?
I thought Mayo would be kind of a pick and choose since I read that they accept 90-100.

To be honest, I can't remember. And you never know what they will see in someone's app that makes them pick someone and leave someone else behind. However, given my experiences, I second the advice above of applying to as many schools as you can without pissing off your letter writers. :) Don't be afraid to branch out to places you aren't familiar with - I didn't know anything about UVa going in, but I fell in love with it while I was there. You might end up really happy somewhere you didn't expect!

Well hopefully I get in. I really want some good research experience to see if I would like to pursue MD/PhD or not. I'm applying to Uchicago UIC, UIUC, Northwestern's Grad and Cancer program, Loyola, UFLorida, Umiami's Project for Paralysis, and Mayo.
Dropped Baylor, Stanford, and Cornell because I didn't think I stood a chance.
Well hopefully they like my PS, I thought I did really well on them since I edited it to cater to each specific school.

Yes, it will hurt unless it is evident from your application that you are someone who will be going to be actively involved in research. Many people significantly underestimate how difficult REU/SURP programs are - be sure to apply a lot because you will be rejected by most of them.
Well, I mentioned in all of them that I have three semesters of research in ecology, which includes writing proposals and presenting a poster, I also took a upper level labs, and I am applying for the Goldwater scholarship.
My main purpose for MD is translational research and being able to interact with patients.
I think it's a little ridiculous they would outright reject someone like me just for saying I am interested in MD/PhD, especially considering that I do have a decent research background. I wouldn't be applying to their programs if I did not have any plans of doing research.

I've got 8 programs I hope to apply to, would I need to add more?

Well, I mentioned in all of them that I have three semesters of research in ecology, which includes writing proposals and presenting a poster, I also took a upper level labs, and I am applying for the Goldwater scholarship.
My main purpose for MD is translational research and being able to interact with patients.
I think it's a little ridiculous they would outright reject someone like me just for saying I am interested in MD/PhD, especially considering that I do have a decent research background. I wouldn't be applying to their programs if I did not have any plans of doing research.

I've got 8 programs I hope to apply to, would I need to add more?
They won't.

I think that would be acceptable. Might as well have the grad write a letter and try to get your PI to co-sign it.

Sorry this is so late, but do you know I could get the PI to co-sign it? This is my first time applying, and I'm not sure how it works electronically.

so it is not good to say that you are interested in M.D., Ph. D.? Why? isn't that still research oriented?

so it is not good to say that you are interested in M.D., Ph. D.? Why? isn't that still research oriented?

I disagree that it is an inherent disadvantage to say that one is interested in MD/PhD vs straight PhD, especially depending on the program being considered. That said, being a straight PhD-oriented candidate would likely give one an advantage, IMO.

What are REU programs? How are they different from Amgen?

What are REU programs? How are they different from Amgen?
Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) programs are a type of structured research program funded by the National Science Foundation. The experience is similar to a SURF/SURP/etc. type program funded by an institution. The Amgen Scholars Program constitutes a set of several individual programs all funded by Amgen Inc., a multibillion-dollar international biotechnology company. The settings and experiences across these programs are all similar in terms of research experience.

Based on my calculations my SGPA is 3.X8. Would rounding up be a big deal in the case with these summer programs? It seems like the apps want a fairly accurate yet approximate value.

Based on my calculations my SGPA is 3.X8. Would rounding up be a big deal in the case with these summer programs? It seems like the apps want a fairly accurate yet approximate value.

It seems like most programs should be willing to accept 2 decimal points. If there is any uncertainty, call the contact person for each application and check.

Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) programs are a type of structured research program funded by the National Science Foundation. The experience is similar to a SURF/SURP/etc. type program funded by an institution. The Amgen Scholars Program constitutes a set of several individual programs all funded by Amgen Inc., a multibillion-dollar international biotechnology company. The settings and experiences across these programs are all similar in terms of research experience.

so are REU programs more competitive in getting accepted?