Summer Research Application Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, etc.) 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone,
I'm worried here. I just realized one of my professors hasn't submitted my recommendations, all due Wednesday. I understand he's very busy this time of year...I'm going to ask him about that tomorrow, but since they need to be submitted online, would it be okay for him to submit them tomorrow?

I'm just wondering if these things take more than a day to process. I wouldn't want the submission to be considered late.

Please and thank you!

Get him to submit asap, but I think you'll be okay. My university lost my transcript requests last year from programs and ended up sending them late, but they just included a note explaining it was their fault. I'm pretty sure I got automatically rejected from a couple of the upper tier programs like Hopkins and UPenn because of it, but I got into multiple programs last year, so clearly people understand when things are out of your control.

Get him to submit asap, but I think you'll be okay. My university lost my transcript requests last year from programs and ended up sending them late, but they just included a note explaining it was their fault. I'm pretty sure I got automatically rejected from a couple of the upper tier programs like Hopkins and UPenn because of it, but I got into multiple programs last year, so clearly people understand when things are out of your control.

Dude, your app is ridiculous.

Members don't see this ad :)
How will schools view recieving multiple letters (3+) if all they require is 2?

It makes me feel so inadequate...

sorry :( i'm trying to keep an update apps profile so it's at least somewhat helpful to people after I go through my cycle. it drives me up the wall when i go to look at an mdapps and people haven't kept it updated, so it's practically useless.

How will schools view recieving multiple letters (3+) if all they require is 2?
no idea. but why would you send more than 2? Just pick the two people who you think would write the strongest letter of recommendation.

sorry :( i'm trying to keep an update apps profile so it's at least somewhat helpful to people after I go through my cycle. it drives me up the wall when i go to look at an mdapps and people haven't kept it updated, so it's practically useless.
Haha no worries, I recognize that there will always been someone (or a whole lot of someones) who has done more, succeeded more, or achieved more no matter what I do. I just do my best and see what I can get out of it.

Got a quick question for you guys!

Im a junior year and I only have one summer left as an undergrad. Im not sure if I should take the summer to study for the MCAT (which Ill most likely do) or do an intership? Would I be eligible to apply the summer after I graduate? (Since this summer I'll be studying) Thanks!

I would focus on studying for the MCAT rather than applying for internships.

Some programs accept graduating seniors, some don't. It depends on the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply. Thats what I was also thinking. But my GPA and extracurriculars are on the low side and thought internships might help me out.

Would I be able to apply the summer after I graduate? Or is it only for undergrads. I will most likely take a year off (so I'll apply the summer I graduate)

Apps done:
Mayo, SMART, UTHealth, BRAIN, Rockefeller, NYU Sackler

6 more to go.

Thanks for the reply. Thats what I was also thinking. But my GPA and extracurriculars are on the low side and thought internships might help me out.

Would I be able to apply the summer after I graduate? Or is it only for undergrads. I will most likely take a year off (so I'll apply the summer I graduate)

it depends on the school and program. most programs like REUs and SURPs state that you must be a non-graduating senior or younger. However, I think there are some programs that do accept graduating seniors. I know the NIH has a post-bac program for graduating seniors, but I think it's full-time for a year or two (someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not very familiar with it). I have no idea if their summer internships are for recent graduates as well.

I've been submitted applications after my letters are sent in. Is that OK?

Just thought I would come in here and leave some of my experience from past cycles:

Getting in at any one program is highly random. I applied to 11 programs last summer and was only accepted to one. Now I am sitting on 6 medical school acceptances at much better places than I applied for summer research at. Don't be discouraged if it is extremely hard to get these spots as many programs have a smaller acceptance percentage than medical school does.

On that note, these programs are highly worth it. I did two over my time in undergrad, and the first opened so many doors for me it is definitely what I accredit some of my success to in applying this cycle. Make sure you work extremely hard all summer and it will pay off big time. Anyways, best of luck! :luck:

That was fast. Accepted at U of Chicago. Summer in the Second City, woo!

That was fast. Accepted at U of Chicago. Summer in the Second City, woo!
:eek:

Lucky you. Congratulations!

Do schools waitlist? What happens if a program accepts someone and that person declines? How do they determine who gets that spot?

Wow! Sweet! When did you send app in?

Less than two weeks ago. What's puzzling is that the program website said March 15 was the notification date. Very excited! I spent last summer in Manhattan and now this summer in Chicago. Maybe next summer in LA?

:eek:

Lucky you. Congratulations!

Do schools waitlist? What happens if a program accepts someone and that person declines? How do they determine who gets that spot?

Thanks. For this program, it seems they might send out acceptances in waves. I must accept the offer by early March, which is before their published notification date. Maybe this is how they manage the numbers?

Holy moley that was fast haha, congrats!

Thanks, now I don't have to worry about making alternative summer plans :cool:, and one less thing to worry about is always good.

Less than two weeks ago. What's puzzling is that the program website said March 15 was the notification date. Very excited! I spent last summer in Manhattan and now this summer in Chicago. Maybe next summer in LA?

I'm envious. You dont have to worry about this summer anymore lmfao. But nonetheless, congratulations!!!

Which program is the one at U Chicago? Is it leadership alliance?

OR is it the REU program in Molecular Genetics?

lol i wanna find out if i got in or not!
when do these programs usually notify you?

lol i wanna find out if i got in or not!
when do these programs usually notify you?

It depends on the program. Sloan Kettering came in mid-Feb last year if you applied to it. The rest come in early-mid March.

Is anyone applying to UCSD's Regenerative Medicine, Multi-Scale Bioengineering, and Systems Biology program? Or Duke's IGSP fellowship program?

AGH. Did anyone apply to UTHealth? The app deadline was Feb. 1st. I turned mine in, but one of my prof.'s didn't send in the letter.

They said all materials had to be postmarked by Feb. 1st. If it gets sent in the next couple days, anyone know if they'll accept it?

Is anyone applying to UCSD's Regenerative Medicine, Multi-Scale Bioengineering, and Systems Biology program? Or Duke's IGSP fellowship program?

Wow.
I wish I knew of those.

So what is everyone's backup plan for the summer?

So what is everyone's backup plan for the summer?
Find non-clinical volunteering, do my usual clinical stuff, maybe do research at my home institution, start shadowing docs, etc...

Oh, and get a tan.

I can't believe it! I'm so anxious to find out if I got in anywhere. I think waiting for med school acceptances or denials is gonna kill me haha.

I got SMART so far for UNT. I am only a frosh, so I need to see if i can fit in a few more. Sophmore year, I'll be expanding to Sinai, Hopkins, Mayo, etc.

My backup plan is to probably continue working on the independent study I'm currently doing. Probably gonna ask around to be a volunteer researcher (I do want the experience!) and/or do a bunch of shadowing and volunteering.

Ideally: chill with my gf all summer and shadow a bit.

Realistically: return to work in the lab from last summer because I know I'm welcome there and I should be productive instead of just laying around all summer... :(

If you don't mind me asking, what summer lab did you previously work at?

I sent NYU SURP my transcript over three weeks ago by mail, and right now, I'm checking my status online, and it says that they've never received my transcript...

What should I do? There is no contanct phone #, no one I can email, NOTHING.

First rejection: UChicago REU MGCB. They only accept 8 spots out of like 200. :( It was my top choice!
At least they sent me a nice rejection letter.
Oh well, one down, 10 to go!

What about UCSD's MSTP SURF's program? Did anyone apply?

Sorry JohnnyRomanes about UChicago :(

Last edited:
If you don't mind me asking, what summer lab did you previously work at?
I won't reveal specifically where, but it was wasn't through a formal research program.
I sent NYU SURP my transcript over three weeks ago by mail, and right now, I'm checking my status online, and it says that they've never received my transcript...

Same here. I called a couple days ago and got no response, but their website says they're weeks behind on updating the database online and advises us not to assume our apps are incomplete.

I wouldn't worry. I sent mine in about a month ago to that program and it says they never received. I was worried too but seeing your post leads me to believe they just don't update their site!