Taking Physics II, after not having Physics I in 3+ years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arc5005

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm currently doing my pre-med requirements. I initially wanted to just re-take my whole year of Physics... do both Physics I & Physics II, but I might apply to a Post-bac program and they want to see Physics I and II completed by the end of the spring semester. Because of this, I am thinking of taking College Physics II this spring 2015 and then studying College Physics I on my own or taking it in the summer of 2015 before taking the MCAT. I got a B in College Physics I and I have no idea how I passed that class with a B, because I don't know physics - hence why I want to re-take it for a full year to actually understand the concepts.

Is this do-able? or should I just re-take Physics I first, then do College Physics II during the summer. Do I really need to go over everything in Physics I again to understand College Physics II?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Should be fine - not much over lap between 1 and 2. I assume 2 referred to electromagnetism

100% doable. I took phys 1 during undergrad and miraculously got an A (class was curved, lab grade probably helped quite a bit). 3.5 years later, after I just graduated/awaiting to take my licensing exam, I tried to take phys 2 at CC and I scored average on the first exam. I ended up having to drop because of my new job. 2 years later, at my undergrad school, I took it over the summer. I got a B after being borderline the entire summer. There is minimal overlap. Good luck!

So, I'm currently doing my pre-med requirements. I initially wanted to just re-take my whole year of Physics... do both Physics I & Physics II, but I might apply to a Post-bac program and they want to see Physics I and II completed by the end of the spring semester. Because of this, I am thinking of taking College Physics II this spring 2015 and then studying College Physics I on my own or taking it in the summer of 2015 before taking the MCAT. I got a B in College Physics I and I have no idea how I passed that class with a B, because I don't know physics - hence why I want to re-take it for a full year to actually understand the concepts.

Is this do-able? or should I just re-take Physics I first, then do College Physics II during the summer. Do I really need to go over everything in Physics I again to understand College Physics II?

Thanks.

The content is largely non-overlapping. Gotta get back into the problem solving mentality and yes it will be more difficulty, just from a familiarity perspective, but it is doable. (I TAed intro Physics for 3 years)