Temple ACMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aSagacious

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't see one yet... so I figure I'd get this year's thread moving.

For reference, here is the 10-11 thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=699289

Anybody start applying yet?

Members don't see this ad.

i was thinking of applying this year and I was wondering what current students had to say about the acms program? i heard it was really competitive but once you get in you're basically guaranteed to go to the med school. how hard is it to maintain the 3.5 gpa during the program and what happens to those who don't maintain it?

just submitted my app today, SAT scores pending. crossing my fingers to get lucky

Members don't see this ad :)
just submitted my app today, SAT scores pending. crossing my fingers to get lucky

submitted my app last week. :xf: I believe we'll find out about interviews in april/may.

Hmm, well I just read that ~13k is not covered by stafford loans (plus cost of living expenses, so closer to ~25k).

How are you guys planning on paying for the difference? To my knowledge, personal loans must be paid back immediately. Any ideas?

Hey,

I have also applied to this program, I submitted my application in November. I was wondering if anybody knew what type of MCAT prep is included with the program. Is it just taught by the program faculty or is it an outside program such as Kaplan, Princeton Review or ExamCrackers?

Thanks!

@ johnj7, DrFLAGATORS, rmcspe2011:

I am looking at the application online and there are a bunch of short answer questions that seem like they should be longer. At least one of them: What is the basis for your interest in the field of medicine? (250 characters). Is it really 250 characters? or is that a typo? should it be 250 words or 2500 characters?

And just out of curiosity, how long were your answers for the other questions?

@ johnj7, DrFLAGATORS, rmcspe2011:

I am looking at the application online and there are a bunch of short answer questions that seem like they should be longer. At least one of them: What is the basis for your interest in the field of medicine? (250 characters). Is it really 250 characters? or is that a typo? should it be 250 words or 2500 characters?

And just out of curiosity, how long were your answers for the other questions?

Its 250 characters. I called them and they said they want a very brief statement. I wrote like one sentence. I know, it doesn't really make sense...

For the essay that asked why TEMPLE ACMS, I had a total of 3 long sentences (one had a semicolon so I kinda cheated). I wrote two paragraphs in the "is there anything else you want to tell us" part because I took two years off from school after graduating so I could financially help my family. I thought that was a good place to write something personal.

Good Luck!

Its 250 characters. I called them and they said they want a very brief statement. I wrote like one sentence. I know, it doesn't really make sense...

For the essay that asked why TEMPLE ACMS, I had a total of 3 long sentences (one had a semicolon so I kinda cheated). I wrote two paragraphs in the "is there anything else you want to tell us" part because I took two years off from school after graduating so I could financially help my family. I thought that was a good place to write something personal.

Good Luck!

Thanks! I guess it is just super brief. Good luck to you too!

I'm an MSI who completed the ACMS last year. I can try to answer questions. I'm not on SDN as often as I used to be, but I'll do my best to get to them.

i was thinking of applying this year and I was wondering what current students had to say about the acms program? i heard it was really competitive but once you get in you're basically guaranteed to go to the med school. how hard is it to maintain the 3.5 gpa during the program and what happens to those who don't maintain it?

You will work harder than you ever have before in school, but if you put in the effort you have a high chance of maintaining the required GPA. I don't remember the specifics anymore, but in my year, about 20/25 made it. A few just missed the gpa, but they were the people who you weren't surprised because they didn't put enough into it. The other couple who missed it missed out on the MCAT.
They want you to succeed, you aren't competing against your classmates. If the whole class earns it, the whole class gets a seat.

Hmm, well I just read that ~13k is not covered by stafford loans (plus cost of living expenses, so closer to ~25k).

How are you guys planning on paying for the difference? To my knowledge, personal loans must be paid back immediately. Any ideas?

I used a Sallie Mae Smart Option, which is a private loan. They required me to pay interest while in school. Other people found other loans and didn't need to make any payments. With all loans being direct now, I don't know what the private education loan market is like.

Hey,

I have also applied to this program, I submitted my application in November. I was wondering if anybody knew what type of MCAT prep is included with the program. Is it just taught by the program faculty or is it an outside program such as Kaplan, Princeton Review or ExamCrackers?

Thanks!

It was Kaplan for the last 2 years, I assume it will be the same this year.

If you already have the MCAT score, do you have to take it again?

No. If you have a 30 with no section below 8 you are good. It means you will have some more time since you won't have to go to MCAT prep.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the answer. I heard that if you get accepted to this program you are not allowed to fill in your AMCAS for any other school other than Temple. That sounds like a big gamble to me, though. If you slip up and get like a 3.4 does that mean you have to wait until after the ACMS program is over before you have a chance at other schools? I'm asking this because my MCAT will expire if I don't apply for this cycle (June 2011).

Thanks for the answer. I heard that if you get accepted to this program you are not allowed to fill in your AMCAS for any other school other than Temple. That sounds like a big gamble to me, though. If you slip up and get like a 3.4 does that mean you have to wait until after the ACMS program is over before you have a chance at other schools? I'm asking this because my MCAT will expire if I don't apply for this cycle (June 2011).

It is commitment. They hold a spot in the class for you, and you commit to matriculate. While in the program you cannot submit an AMCAS at all. If you successfully complete the program you will have a seat, and if you don't you probably would have trouble getting accepted anywhere else anyway.
The requirements are not that bad at all. The 3.5 is very doable as long as you put in the work, and the 30 on the MCAT is not that high for an allopathic school, plus there is built in MCAT prep. You aren't competing against your classmates, so if everybody meets the requirements everybody will be there. That is what they want to happen.

Edit: I forgot to add. To me, this was an added benefit. I liked Temple, I liked Philly, and I was happy stay there. I had gone through one unsuccessful application cycle and the thought of having to repeat that, with all the stress and waiting...

Last edited:
Ygree, I know that the first interview date isn't until mid-may, but do you know when they start sending out the first wave of interview invites?

Anyone get a confirmation for their completed application? I haven't heard anything in a while.

Yep, I got an email after I was complete. If you submitted your stuff a while ago and haven't heard anything I'd give them a call. Same thing happened to me and it turned out they were missing one of my transcripts (so ask them what, specifically, they are still missing).

Has anybody heard anything about an Interview yet? I have heard the first interview date is in May so I was just wondering if anybody had more information yet?

Has anybody heard anything about an Interview yet? I have heard the first interview date is in May so I was just wondering if anybody had more information yet?

The first interview date is June 1. Invites should be coming out in the next few weeks I would assume.

The first interview date is June 1. Invites should be coming out in the next few weeks I would assume.

Where did you hear this information from? I did get hear from the Admissions office that the first interview would be in June when I called them.

Where did you hear this information from? I did get hear from the Admissions office that the first interview would be in June when I called them.

I am a current ACMS post-bac. I heard it from the director of the program, Grace.

I am a current ACMS post-bac. I heard it from the director of the program, Grace.

Do you know how far in advance of the interview day they'll give out invites?

Also, a couple questions about the program...what happens if you've met the 30 MCAT requirement with all sections above 8? Plus, how difficult is it to obtain the 3.5 GPA? Obviously you need to work hard and put the effort in but it's hard to gauge GPA these days. Thanks!

Also, a couple questions about the program...what happens if you've met the 30 MCAT requirement with all sections above 8? Plus, how difficult is it to obtain the 3.5 GPA? Obviously you need to work hard and put the effort in but it's hard to gauge GPA these days. Thanks!

I'm anxious as f*ck

I know that some invites have already gone out, not sure how many.

If you have met the MCAT requirement then you don't have to take it again. All you have to do is focus on attaining the 3.5 GPA. I have to take the MCAT, and I am pretty jealous of those who don't! The coursework is challenging, you will study more then you ever have in your life (I did at least). But exams are fair so if you prepare adequately then you will certainly get the grades you need. To put it in perspective...we all had to take orgo in college which was the worst class ever in my opinion. No matter how much I studied, I still didn't feel prepared. The ACMS classes are not like that. There is a ton of material that you need to keep up with, but as long as you do, you will do well. I hope that makes sense.

For those who have to, when are you required to re-take the MCAT? I assume it has to be sometime in Spring, that way you have the results by June, when AMCAS opens and you submit the application only to Temple.

If you complete this program, but for some reason you don't get the scores they require (30MCAT, 3.5 GPA), can you still be considered as an applicant from the regular application pool?

If you have met the MCAT requirement then you don't have to take it again. All you have to do is focus on attaining the 3.5 GPA. I have to take the MCAT, and I am pretty jealous of those who don't! The coursework is challenging, you will study more then you ever have in your life (I did at least). But exams are fair so if you prepare adequately then you will certainly get the grades you need. To put it in perspective...we all had to take orgo in college which was the worst class ever in my opinion. No matter how much I studied, I still didn't feel prepared. The ACMS classes are not like that. There is a ton of material that you need to keep up with, but as long as you do, you will do well. I hope that makes sense.

sheesh have they start sending em out? Uh oh. I hope i get mine soon. I hope my 37 MCAT and 3.4 GPA can get an invite?

Do you have an idea of how many applications they receive and how many they interview?

That's a little frightening...how were you not able to get into med school with a 37 MCAT and 3.4 GPA?? Also, I read in another thread that you went to Hopkins for undergrad and grad? WTH?

I um.. made a very fundamental mistake of applying to only top med schools thinking my MCAT will cover for my GPA. THAT... yeah.. was a mistake. 37 MCAT really doesn't cover for 3.4 GPA

Ugh, :( invites out already booooo....

It's nice to know in my case all I have to worry is the 3.5 GPA; if only I could just get into the program.

Ugh, :( invites out already booooo....

It's nice to know in my case all I have to worry is the 3.5 GPA; if only I could just get into the program.

any SDN member get an invite yet?

If you complete this program, but for some reason you don't get the scores they require (30MCAT, 3.5 GPA), can you still be considered as an applicant from the regular application pool?

You can apply the following year.

I um.. made a very fundamental mistake of applying to only top med schools thinking my MCAT will cover for my GPA. THAT... yeah.. was a mistake. 37 MCAT really doesn't cover for 3.4 GPA

I am taking my MCAT on May 21. The program suggests that everyone take it on the same day in May so that we get our scores in late June and they can process our applications and financial aid packages in time for Aug 1. If you do not get the required GPA or MCAT then you have the option of applying to temple early decision for the following year. You will no longer be considered for the current application pool.

To sunrider, it doesn't sound like you need this program. Why don't you just do something more beneficial to you this year or maybe something you enjoy? A 37 is amazing, so next time you apply, just consider schools besides top 10. Ranking isn't everything despite what most people think.

I am taking my MCAT on May 21. The program suggests that everyone take it on the same day in May so that we get our scores in late June and they can process our applications and financial aid packages in time for Aug 1. If you do not get the required GPA or MCAT then you have the option of applying to temple early decision for the following year. You will no longer be considered for the current application pool.

To sunrider, it doesn't sound like you need this program. Why don't you just do something more beneficial to you this year or maybe something you enjoy? A 37 is amazing, so next time you apply, just consider schools besides top 10. Ranking isn't everything despite what most people think.

I think SMP like this is perfect for me. high MCAT but low GPA to show to schools that i can handle the rigor of Med classes. If i was fresh out of Undergrad, i'd def explore other options, but I am a bit more advanced in my years, so I want a place that guarantees acceptance.

obligatory bump with " Did anyone hear anything from temple yet?"

sheesh. can't believe it's already May, and we still don't have any news not only on ACMS but also BCMS as well.

anyone with any informations??

if I were to apply now would there still be a chance for me to get an interview?

undergrad gpa 3.4, science 3.4
MCAT 34S
top 12 university

if I were to apply now would there still be a chance for me to get an interview?

undergrad gpa 3.4, science 3.4
MCAT 34S
top 12 university

Maybe but you'd better hurry. Two years ago I applied about this time and got into the last interview day sometime in July (I think I have those dates right).

Ughhhhh, what's the latest from Temple? Has anyone gotten an interview invite recently?

Ughhhhh, what's the latest from Temple? Has anyone gotten an interview invite recently?

Nope.. I plan to wait till this friday.. If i don't hear anything by then, then I will give them a call to inquire about not only ACMS but also BCMS status (BCMS topic is in page 2 or 3 i believe)

Has anybody heard anything either way about the ACMS program yet?

Has anybody heard anything either way about the ACMS program yet?

I called the office today, found out that they just finished BCMS. I'm going to assume BCMS interview invitations will be sent out soon. She said they will now take a look at ACMS. what took them so long? sheesh

I called the office today, found out that they just finished BCMS. I'm going to assume BCMS interview invitations will be sent out soon. She said they will now take a look at ACMS. what took them so long? sheesh

Are you sure about this sunrider? What about the information that someone posted earlier stating that some invitations had already been sent out? Reading back on it, hopefully the poster was referring to BMCS invites already being sent out or mixed up ACMS interviews with BCMS interviews. I think this would make more sense since none of us applying for ACMS have heard anything at all yet.

Are you sure about this sunrider? What about the information that someone posted earlier stating that some invitations had already been sent out? Reading back on it, hopefully the poster was referring to BMCS invites already being sent out or mixed up ACMS interviews with BCMS interviews. I think this would make more sense since none of us applying for ACMS have heard anything at all yet.

I sincerely hope YGREE got it mixed up. I would hate to ever think that the school was lying to us, and by all means, i don't think they are.

Before the phone call, i was thinking maybe that they had over abundance of quality applicants from their regular MD cycle, and have decided to put their wait listed students as priority ACMS students (just purely my guess), but hopefully this isn't the case.

I sincerely hope YGREE got it mixed up. I would hate to ever think that the school was lying to us, and by all means, i don't think they are.

Before the phone call, i was thinking maybe that they had over abundance of quality applicants from their regular MD cycle, and have decided to put their wait listed students as priority ACMS students (just purely my guess), but hopefully this isn't the case.

Yeah, I do think this latter point is true in that there probably are some priority ACMS students that were waitlisted from Temple. But I don't think it's the whole class....I just hope.