Texas A&M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow and Friday! Just stay calm and be yourselves! I hope to see some of you around tomorrow (since P2s aren't at the COP on Fridays). I hope you enjoy the interview process and our school in general! :thumbup::luck::xf:

Members don't see this ad.

I would be completely lying if I said that I wasn't completely insulted by your comment. Did you not read my last post about the success of the students at our pharmacy school? I think that it's very unprofessional of you to assume that a lot of people have Texas A&M as their "backup school." I interviewed at UT, UofH and A&M (I didn't even apply to Tech, TSU or Incarnate Word). After interviews, I decided that Texas A&M was where I belonged. They made me feel very welcome and I just knew this is where I needed to be. We may be a young school, but that means absolutely nothing. There are plenty things that A&M offers that other schools do not. I am proud to be a student at TAMHSCILRCOP, the success, and the promising future of our school.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't as well, but I can't begrudge his statement. Initially, TAMHSCILRCOP was not my first choice. It only became so AFTER I interviewed.

Honestly, it doesn't matter whether or not they declined as a result of their preference for the school or not. They could decline it because of family issues as well. What does matter is that no matter the circumstance, you don't give up until you hear that you've been completely rejected. It doesn't end until it ends. If you have to, pester the office. I know some people who got a Tech interview with similar scores as me and they were constantly calling them when I didn't (and subsequently, I never heard from Tech until July).

We'll still be here to address whatever concerns we can, but don't get discouraged or anxious just because others are getting interviews or acceptances when you haven't. It's extra stress you don't need and if you have another interview at the same time, we all know you don't need that extra stress; it could cost you that interview as well.

Hello, this is my first time posting, although I have been reading the recent posts, for those who have not gotten an interview do not despair, I got called by Dr. Robertson around 8 PM last night to interview tomorrow at 1 PM, it's last minute, but I am still very excited!!

That's wonderful!! :)
Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am interviewing next Friday @ 10:30.

I am too!! I hope the people who have the interview today will let us know how it went with them :xf: Good luck to everyone!

I just got home to San Antonio from interviewing today at 1. I was so nervous at first but it actually went really well! I had 3 interviewers and they were all very nice and I feel like I answered all the questions adequately. The essay time was so short, but I finished in time. I am going to be on pins and needles until March

I just got home to San Antonio from interviewing today at 1. I was so nervous at first but it actually went really well! I had 3 interviewers and they were all very nice and I feel like I answered all the questions adequately. The essay time was so short, but I finished in time. I am going to be on pins and needles until March

Can u tell us more about what kind of questions were asked and what was the essay about Plz!??:confused:

Can u tell us more about what kind of questions were asked and what was the essay about Plz!??:confused:

When is your interview nadine? My interview is tomorrow, and I promise that when I get back I'll post as many questions as I can remember and my essay topic for all of our nervous SDN-ers. I'm definitely in that boat right now the night before my interview.

Good luck to you and I hope everything goes well for you.
My interviw is on the 17th, I am extremely nervous...I have no pharmacy experience so I am afraid the essay topic will be related to it!
I really appreciate your help : )

When is your interview nadine? My interview is tomorrow, and I promise that when I get back I'll post as many questions as I can remember and my essay topic for all of our nervous SDN-ers. I'm definitely in that boat right now the night before my interview.

the previous post for you....sorry!

You pick a number out of a bowl and that's the essay prompt you get, mine was " Why is it important for pharmacy students to take liberal arts and humanities classes?"

As far as the interview goes, they just asked a bunch of standard questions about who I was why I wanted to go to that school, they also asked me what a typically day in my life was. It was all very easy going, most of the questions are on the list on the website or just generic interview questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
You pick a number out of a bowl and that's the essay prompt you get, mine was " Why is it important for pharmacy students to take liberal arts and humanities classes?"

As far as the interview goes, they just asked a bunch of standard questions about who I was why I wanted to go to that school, they also asked me what a typically day in my life was. It was all very easy going, most of the questions are on the list on the website or just generic interview questions.

Thanks alot, I hope you get some good news soon :)

I interviewed at 9 today. Of course the first question was, why pharmacy? Then they ask questions base on what I answered. You just have to be prepare to answer them as they are asked. I had two CVS recruiters and Dr. Daniel. He asked how I research and how I distinguish between which sites is credible. The other one I remembered was using my experience what is one word that describe a pharmacist working in retail. Then they asked what did I think is the number one problem with healthcare.

The essay threw me off guard because I was asked to write about a current event and why it was important. Unfortunately I didnt have a lot of time recently to keep myself in the loop, so I just had to improvise hopefully it didnt affect my scores.

The new score break down for this year is as follow:

15 for PCAT
15 for GPA
25 for interview
10 for essay
10 for recommendation letter

= 75 :) - letter goes out in the first week of march or second.

Good luck guys!

Was the essay computerized?? or was it hand-written this time around??

So I had an interview today at 2:30! My essay topic was discuss your reasons for choosing pharmacy or something along those lines. So basically it was a repeat of any personal statement I had. It wasn't too bad, they only really assess your writing skills based on the first few paragraphs.

goodluck to you all!!!

My interviewers made the whole process very conversational and not structured at all. I think at some point we started talking about astronomy. the first question I was asked was where I was from, where I did my undergrad, and what my major was. Then they asked me how I felt about moving to a small town. They asked about my work and what role I usually play in group work. How I dealt with conflicts when they arise among coworkers. The 30 minutes go by really fast, so when the admin comes by to knock on your door to warn you that you only have 3 minutes, start selling yourself. Make it memorable but precise bc those 3 minutes fly. I got to do my face to face interview before the writting portion, so I was actually really relaxed during my writting. My writing prompt was: name one thing you would bring to the program. Something along the lines of that. I can't really remember it word for word, but that's basically what it said. Everyone was really nice. I felt welcomed and at ease the whole time. I do suggest that those who are not from the area to plan to come like an hour early because you could get a little lost. Hope that helps. Feel free to post questions if you guys have any.

My interviewers made the whole process very conversational and not structured at all. I think at some point we started talking about astronomy. the first question I was asked was where I was from, where I did my undergrad, and what my major was. Then they asked me how I felt about moving to a small town. They asked about my work and what role I usually play in group work. How I dealt with conflicts when they arise among coworkers. The 30 minutes go by really fast, so when the admin comes by to knock on your door to warn you that you only have 3 minutes, start selling yourself. Make it memorable but precise bc those 3 minutes fly. I got to do my face to face interview before the writting portion, so I was actually really relaxed during my writting. My writing prompt was: name one thing you would bring to the program. Something along the lines of that. I can't really remember it word for word, but that's basically what it said. Everyone was really nice. I felt welcomed and at ease the whole time. I do suggest that those who are not from the area to plan to come like an hour early because you could get a little lost. Hope that helps. Feel free to post questions if you guys have any.

Thanks for sharing =). my interview is on the 17th

I would be lying if I said I wasn't as well, but I can't begrudge his statement. Initially, TAMHSCILRCOP was not my first choice. It only became so AFTER I interviewed.

Honestly, it doesn't matter whether or not they declined as a result of their preference for the school or not. They could decline it because of family issues as well. What does matter is that no matter the circumstance, you don't give up until you hear that you've been completely rejected. It doesn't end until it ends. If you have to, pester the office. I know some people who got a Tech interview with similar scores as me and they were constantly calling them when I didn't (and subsequently, I never heard from Tech until July).

We'll still be here to address whatever concerns we can, but don't get discouraged or anxious just because others are getting interviews or acceptances when you haven't. It's extra stress you don't need and if you have another interview at the same time, we all know you don't need that extra stress; it could cost you that interview as well.

My comment was not intended to insult the school at all. I was just stating the facts of the admissions process and how they extended interviews after the original interviews were over. I know some opinions are hard to voice out but I don't mind them unless it just wasn't true (people's original perception of TAMHSCILRCOP).

On the flip side, the school is actually doing amazing things including their involvement with SnPHA and academic work. The school definitely has high potential which is why many people, after interviewing there, changed their mine and made the school their first choice. The school was ranked while it was still in candidacy status which says a lot about the school. Compare this to other schools in Texas which I won't name that have been in existence for over 50 years and are not even ranked. We won't go into the ranking methodology controversy on SDN here.

I just feel (my opinion) that the school needs to market themselves as a top tier school and not as a secondary or tertiary school wanting to fill seats. (2 acceptance letters for 1 seat)

My comment was not intended to insult the school at all. I was just stating the facts of the admissions process and how they extended interviews after the original interviews were over. I know some opinions are hard to voice out but I don't mind them unless it just wasn't true (people's original perception of TAMHSCILRCOP).

On the flip side, the school is actually doing amazing things including their involvement with SnPHA and academic work. The school definitely has high potential which is why many people, after interviewing there, changed their mine and made the school their first choice. The school was ranked while it was still in candidacy status which says a lot about the school. Compare this to other schools in Texas which I won't name that have been in existence for over 50 years and are not even ranked. We won't go into the ranking methodology controversy on SDN here.

I just feel (my opinion) that the school needs to market themselves as a top tier school and not as a secondary or tertiary school wanting to fill seats. (2 acceptance letters for 1 seat)

Thanks for your clarification.

Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow and Friday!!:luck::xf::thumbup:

Thank you, AceRX, for reiterating. As I said, I didn't hold anything against you for putting that up, because there are some that think that and that cannot be avoided as we are a new school. However, in such a short time, we are in fact leaving other schools in the dust. We've been trying to put our name out even more and it just depends on the people to get that information.

Anyways, let me share you a few updates with you as we had the ACPE (Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education) and the current information we are being given is that...

We are currently in compliance with all 30+ ACPE standards with flying colours, while 2/3s in the country have at least one issue with the standards.

We are number one in Texas as far as the number of preceptors available with a network of 720 preceptors as of yesterday. We are adding 30+ more this Saturday.

We have one of the best values as far as tuition goes in the country (6th!) as well as in the state (1st!). Even with the projected cost increases, we will still be around the same position as with the current state budget cuts, the other colleges are also facing increases in costs.

Regardless of the forum's feelings over rankings, in 2010 - US News and Report - we were in the 70th rankings. We are the first "new" program in 10 years to get a ranking so soon. That speaks numbers for the quality of education here to merit that sort of a rise.

That said, good luck to all interviewing today and tomorrow!

Last edited:
Hey yall!
Would anyone who had their interview today be willing to share a bit about what was asked in the interview and the essay they had to write? I was so excited at first but now that my interview is coming up I'm soo nervouss. Thanks ,i appreciate it :)

I received a text from Dr. Robertson two hours ago, asking if I would be available to receive his call between 5:00-5:15PM, followed by another text asking if I would be able to come interview tomorrow.

Orgo II exam tomorrow though, which can't be rescheduled. One drop test for the semester, but I will gladly come if there is no other choice. Waiting for his call now!

---
Dr. Robertson didn't want me to drop my exam so he scheduled me to come Thursday the 23rd @ 1:00 PM :)

Last edited:
I received a text from Dr. Robertson two hours ago, asking if I would be available to receive his call between 5:00-5:15PM, followed by another text asking if I would be able to come interview tomorrow.

Orgo II exam tomorrow though, which can't be rescheduled. One drop test for the semester, but I will gladly come if there is no other choice. Waiting for his call now!

---
Dr. Robertson didn't want me to drop my exam so he scheduled me to come Thursday the 23rd @ 1:00 PM :)

Wow! They are sending texts now? :)
Good luck with the interview!:luck:

That's a possibility. Not entirely sure though, since I had the pleasure of meeting him when he came to UH to speak at one of our Pre-Pharmacy Association meetings. I called him halfway on his drive back to make sure he is doing fine and ended up talking to him for a good 15-20 minutes. Told me to keep him notified when I applied.

Good luck! I'm extremely excited to come to Kingsville again!

How many interviews can be scheduled at the same time? For example, a member above recently mentioned he/she has an interview scheduled for the 23rd at 1pm...so how many applicants are typically scheduled at that time on that date?

How many interviews can be scheduled at the same time? For example, a member above recently mentioned he/she has an interview scheduled for the 23rd at 1pm...so how many applicants are typically scheduled at that time on that date?

It's 10 people per time slot and they interview 250 people total. I interviewed yesterday and Everyone was very friendly! Good luck to the rest that have interviews you'll do fine!

just had interview today in kingsville at 9AM...it was a pleasant experience, I was lucky enough to have awesome interviewers...:thumbup::D:xf:

if you have any questions let me know.....I was curious to know if any other fellow SDNers were there this morning?? (fri feb 17)

^ I was there this morning! :) I was the sick one :( just happened to get a cold a few days ago.

I interviewed today @ 10:30. The essay topic I had was, "What would you bring to the college of pharmacy?" They don't grade on your response, only on how well you can write proper English. The essay is hand written. The interview was by far the most chill interview I've had so far. It was pretty casual. You pretty much talk about yourself and why you chose pharmacy. The interviewers then ask questions off of your statements.

Don't forget to get your meningitis shots at least 10 days before class starts or you will be revoked of your acceptance. (From Dr. Robinson) :D

Hope everyone enjoyed visiting our school! :)

I was there too yesterday at 10:30am interview slot!
The compus is beautiful, I liked it. The interviewers I had were two pharmacists an a physician? They asked me all the questions that can be asked in 30 minutes...but they were all very nice.
The interview and essay questions are the ones posted in the website so whoever is interviewing on thursday make sure you have an answer for them!
As far as how I did, I will let you all know in March?!!!

It's 10 people per time slot and they interview 250 people total.

Almost makes it seem like they interview 250 people per day! lol. but i guess about 40 people per day, for a total of 250 in the month of feb.

Hey guys! I'm excited for my interview on 2/23! I'm just wondering what is the best way to get from Corpus Christi airport to the pharmacy school? I won't be bringing a car so I'm wondering if there are any shuttles available to and from the airport, and if there are cabs available from the hotels to the schools. Thanks!

Hey guys! I'm excited for my interview on 2/23! I'm just wondering what is the best way to get from Corpus Christi airport to the pharmacy school? I won't be bringing a car so I'm wondering if there are any shuttles available to and from the airport, and if there are cabs available from the hotels to the schools. Thanks!

I'm not sure of the transportation modes. However, if my memory serves correct, the college has arranged some sort of transportation for those that let the college know about such a need. Therefore I would call and ask to see if something could be arranged. If not, hopefully other, more knowledgeable posters can give you some advice.

Thanks so much! That was really helpful! I'll call the school tomorrow to find out means of transportation. Thanks!

I have an interview on February 23 at 1 pm. I am very excited :D. I hope it goes well :xf:

I was there too yesterday at 10:30am interview slot!
The compus is beautiful, I liked it. The interviewers I had were two pharmacists an a physician? They asked me all the questions that can be asked in 30 minutes...but they were all very nice.
The interview and essay questions are the ones posted in the website so whoever is interviewing on thursday make sure you have an answer for them!
As far as how I did, I will let you all know in March?!!!

A lot of people think it's the pits down here, but a friend of mine came down for an interview this past Friday and I took him around town. Thing is, a lot of people tend to just come for the interview and immediately leave; they don't look around to see what else is here. Granted, it's not huge, but it has most of what is needed to survive if you're used to larger cities. Also, as a person that has lived in Houston for most of my life, I can say my allergies fare much better here than back home.

In regards to the "notification", the first batch of people will be informed on the first week of March. Afterwards, if some people go elsewhere, reject, or do not respond to the acceptance, Dr. Robertson will likely personally call the next batch of candidates until all seats are filled.

@hyper2005: Definitely call the school. I know of a campus transportation that goes around some of the close-by locales (e.g. Javelina Station), and I know there is transportation offered to the Corpus Christi Airport during holidays. I do not know if this is offered during the school year, however.

I am so incredibly excited about the possibilty of going to school here. That first week of March seems an eternity away! I just hope I came off well in my interview.

Bring the campus map so yall can find the school! I'm so glad they included it in the e-mail. ;)

What if for the interview the interviewee wore A&M colors like Maroon to impress and show school spirit? or would that be too much?

What if for the interview the interviewee wore A&M colors like Maroon to impress and show school spirit? or would that be too much?

I don't think that would matter seeing how the school isn't part of A&M, and the students aren't Aggies either.

I don't think that would matter seeing how the school isn't part of A&M, and the students aren't Aggies either.

Which is odd, given that Doctors of Engineering could skip undergrad at A&M and still be considered Aggies.

Oh well. You should just go with your best outfit. We actually have faculty from Austin, mind you. You don't want to tick those guys off. ;p

Which is odd, given that Doctors of Engineering could skip undergrad at A&M and still be considered Aggies.

Oh well. You should just go with your best outfit. We actually have faculty from Austin, mind you. You don't want to tick those guys off. ;p

The pharmacy school rents the building from Texas A&M Kingsville. The pharmacy school is part of the Texas A&M Health Science Center. Yes, it is confusing. One of my interviewers graduated from UT College of Pharmacy.