The Justice Khaki Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeLikeBueller

Doctor of Comic Relief
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you're not familiar with "justice khakis," you need to re-evaluate your priorities in life. It's from Season 2, Episode 6 of How I Met Your Mother, which you should go watch (on Netflix now).

Anyways, this thread is an ode to the obnoxious customers of this world and how you repay their "kindness."

I'll give you an example...we have a doorbell at our drive-thru window. If a customer rings the bell as soon as they pull up, I wait an additional 30 seconds for each ring before I walk to the window.

How do you dole out pharmacy-style justice?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If you're not familiar with "justice khakis," you need to re-evaluate your priorities in life. It's from Season 2, Episode 6 of How I Met Your Mother, which you should go watch (on Netflix now).

Anyways, this thread is an ode to the obnoxious customers of this world and how you repay their "kindness."

I'll give you an example...we have a doorbell at our drive-thru window. If a customer rings the bell as soon as they pull up, I wait an additional 30 seconds for each ring before I walk to the window.

How do you dole out pharmacy-style justice?

First one that comes to mind is when a double count customer asks me to go back and triple count , I let it sit on the back counter for 5 minutes and then bring it back.

Same thing goes for customer who wants me to go double count their 360 klor con or metformin .

If someone repeatedly tries to scam us and won't leave but isn't causing enough of a fuss to call the police, we tell them store manager is busy reviewing the camera footage and it will be 20 min for them to confirm.

Members don't see this ad :)
Had a very abusive customer almost come to blows with my staff , threatening to call the police because I substituted a generic opioid on a generic script daw,0... I picked up the phone and told them they didn't have to, I would call right now.

When somebody calls to just give refill numbers rather than use the IVR, they always get put on hold. Add 5 minutes if they ask for the pharmacist and then do it.

When somebody calls to just give refill numbers rather than use the IVR, they always get put on hold. Add 5 minutes if they ask for the pharmacist and then do it.

Ok, I have a legitimate question. I've only ever worked in a hospital, but part of some of my work includes calling rx (usually abx) in to community pharmacies.

My voice doesn't record well (too soft?) and when I leave new rx on voicemail, about 50% of the time they end up calling me back for a clarification.

So I call it in manually. I don't bitch or whine about being on hold, and I try to be super pleasant because I know it can be a pain in the ass on your end. Plus this way I can write in my note who I talked to and at what time, and let the other pharmacist know to take their time if the patient won't be in until tomorrow.

Does this qualify me for pharmacy shaming? (I'm so sorry if it does!)

Ok, I have a legitimate question. I've only ever worked in a hospital, but part of some of my work includes calling rx (usually abx) in to community pharmacies.

My voice doesn't record well (too soft?) and when I leave new rx on voicemail, about 50% of the time they end up calling me back for a clarification.

So I call it in manually. I don't bitch or whine about being on hold, and I try to be super pleasant because I know it can be a pain in the ass on your end. Plus this way I can write in my note who I talked to and at what time, and let the other pharmacist know to take their time if the patient won't be in until tomorrow.

No, you are talking about calling in new rx from a hospital, Ackj is talking about customers asking for the pharmacist to call in their refill requests when they can either just use the automated system or talk to a tech about it.

Edit, I actually like to take in new rx over the phone instead of voice mail... bc I sometimes catch a mistake or duplication right away and just take care of it right then.

No, I much prefer to talk to someone than get a voicemail, because any issues can be corrected immediately, rather than me calling back, talking to somebody else, getting transferred to a nurse, repeating the same thing I just told the first person, giving a callback number, waiting for you to call me again, etc. For example, if I get calls for a less common cephalosporin that we don't have in stock, it saves me a call since we can discuss an alternative, you can call another pharmacy right away who may have it on hand, or I can order it if you say the patient won't be in until the next day anyway. Or if it's a wacky dose, or if it's super expensive, or anything really.

Also, (this might just be me) I like to control the flow of info as I write it down. "Name? Okay... DOB? Okay, what do they need? Alright, how many?" Etc. The majority of voicemails seem to sound like the disclaimer for a zero money down car lease, and I have to rewind it 3x to get it all down, so it's actually faster to have someone on the line.

I'll give you an example...we have a doorbell at our drive-thru window. If a customer rings the bell as soon as they pull up, I wait an additional 30 seconds for each ring before I walk to the window?

This seems a bit harsh. Many places such as banks, won't come to the drive-up window until someone rings the bell, not to mention that people don't normally answer their door, until someone rings their doorbell. People's previous experiences have taught them its their responsibility to ring the bell.

This seems a bit harsh. Many places such as banks, won't come to the drive-up window until someone rings the bell, not to mention that people don't normally answer their door, until someone rings their doorbell. People's previous experiences have taught them its their responsibility to ring the bell.
Having to wait 30 seconds is not harsh. People should be able to sit for a half minute without hitting a button for attention.

I'm with you, they probably think they have to hit the bell for anyone to know they are there.

I hate when you greet them or are standing right there picking up the phone and they hit the button. Yum yes I am right here, please stop hitting the button.

First one that comes to mind is when a double count customer asks me to go back and triple count , I let it sit on the back counter for 5 minutes and then bring it back.

Same thing goes for customer who wants me to go double count their 360 klor con or metformin .

but that's your job as a TECH isn't it?