The Official 04/28/2012 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoltMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured I should start this thread/support system. Good luck studying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Let me be the first to say F*CK!!!! ****!! WTF was that PS!? And the random nit-picky details on BS!? FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. I finished PS with only 2 min to go back and figure out things I guessed on, did that, and with 20 seconds left realized I hadn't answered the 3 discretes at the end. F ME. clicked randomly for them but know at least one of them was wrong. :(

Done! I didn't feel so good about BS, but still finished it w/ 10 minutes left.

Sat there for a few minutes trying to see if I should void or not. Decided to not void. What's worse is this is a retake of 12/10/10, I think I at least made the same score (hopefully!)

e: ^^ I thought BS was really nit-picky, I don't think any current prep materials would really prep your for it. Only CBT11 really represents the current trend IMHO. More VR-style + know weird tid-bits..

IH- you feel ok about PS? I thought it had a lot of annoying calculations, and missing those last 3 will bring my score down by a point :(

also, looked through books from 2 test prep companies- at least 2 of the bio details are in NEITHER of them- had to check wikipedia to find out I got them wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me be the first to say F*CK!!!! ****!! WTF was that PS!? And the random nit-picky details on BS!? FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. I finished PS with only 2 min to go back and figure out things I guessed on, did that, and with 20 seconds left realized I hadn't answered the 3 discretes at the end. F ME. clicked randomly for them but know at least one of them was wrong. :(
Oh man...it was really that bad?? I was really hoping you'd find it easy since your scores were so high on your practice AAMCs. This is making me even more panicky about this test!!!

IH- you feel ok about PS? I thought it had a lot of annoying calculations, and missing those last 3 will bring my score down by a point :(

I didn't think it was too bad; that one passage (that didn't really need a passage, if you know what I mean) was kind of out there.

BS though, I hope I at least get 10 (same as last time). Looked up two questions at home already, both wrong. Don't know why I do that to myself.

At this point, I'll just be thankful if I get the same score as last time. Adcoms aren't going to be too kind, either way...

Honestly I'm mostly mad at myself for messing up the end of PS like that- I've had PS sections where I felt awful and got a 13, but guessing randomly on the last 3 questions hurts a lot when you're shooting for a 13/14.

And I felt bio didn't play to my strengths (reading complicated experiments) but might have been easier for others who remember a lot of random detail or had orgo pretty recently.

Honestly I'm mostly mad at myself for messing up the end of PS like that- I've had PS sections where I felt awful and got a 13, but guessing randomly on the last 3 questions hurts a lot when you're shooting for a 13/14.

And I felt bio didn't play to my strengths (reading complicated experiments) but might have been easier for others who remember a lot of random detail or had orgo pretty recently.

so your test wasnt really VR related, it required a lot background knowledge?

dunno, now that I've got a G+T down, I'm starting to forget (thankfully). All I can say is no previous test is predictive of how your test will be structured, I'm glad I didn't take it 3/24 or 4/13 or whenever that crazy orgo heavy test was, but this one definitely wasn't a great match for my abilities.

dunno, now that I've got a G+T down, I'm starting to forget (thankfully). All I can say is no previous test is predictive of how your test will be structured, I'm glad I didn't take it 3/24 or 4/13 or whenever that crazy orgo heavy test was, but this one definitely wasn't a great match for my abilities.
i still think you most likely scored around your average aamc practice score. even though it seemed hard, remember there's a curve!

why do you say it wasnt a great match?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, not THAT much harder, just so mad about missing the last three PS. Put a lot of pressure on myself hoping to break 40, make up for weak UG gpa, and get into Penn. I know for certain that I did not break 40, but I don't think it's lower than a 34.

No, not THAT much harder, just so mad about missing the last three PS. Put a lot of pressure on myself hoping to break 40, make up for weak UG gpa, and get into Penn. I know for certain that I did not break 40, but I don't think it's lower than a 34.
actually you don't necessarily know for certain. you could have a very very generous scale.

The testing center let me start at 12:30 so I finished pretty early but hopefully there will be some more 4/28ers on here soon for a more balanced perspective.

HOLY ****ING **** WHAT WAS THAT?!

1. Harder than practice exams.
  2. HARDER THAN PRACTICE EXAMS.
PS was ridiculous. I didn't know what was going on in 2/3 of the passages. Additionally, there were memorization questions and abstract concepts that I was just like WHAT? NO. I "finished" with 3 minutes left and was thoroughly blown away.

VR: Current AAMC's do NOT give justice to the verbal. I don't know how much I can say except it's longer. As a person averaging 7-9's, **** it. It was alright but holy **** longer.

WS: why bother.

BS: Mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh harder, and required memorization of things that I had no idea or even heard of before. I was like, huh? What? Went through a passage, discovered I didn't understand it, went through it two more times, discovered I spent 12 minutes on it, and zoomed to the next one. Left two passages for 20 minutes left, and tried my best.

:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown

SHIIIIIT I just finished...PS and BR were a lot easier than AAMC's. There were a couple calc heavy questions but not so bad. But BS... What the ****?!?!? There was so much ****ing Orgo!!!!!! And the bio passages were nitpicky as a mother ****er. At least I know I did good on writing.

Yea...my ps wasn't anything ridic tho :p

Our concepts of "ridic" are different. Consider I'm getting 4/7's on TBR passages.

So now we make our predictions:

AAMC10: 29 9/7/13 (29)
AAMC11: 31 11/9/11 (31)

04/28: 9/7/11. Nowhere accepted.

Last edited:
I'm serious. The AAMC10 and 11 I took had zero, zero, zero relation to this practice test. Zero. TBR was the closest, and though it's more convuluted, ****. ****. **** THIS.

I think the biggest difference between this test and AAMC practices was it was more obvious- compared to the practice test particle accelerators, no earthquakes, no weirdass micro and macro nuclei- so I'm predicting a harsher curve. My PS could drop to a 10 and bs to 11 putting me at a 33. I always get 2 wrong on verbal. always. except for that blessed AAMC4.

Man I felt really good about this exam.

The PS wasn't bad, but took a long time, I just barely finished in time.

Verbal was straight-forward. Nothing crazy.

Writing section was a joke.

BS was crazy, really crazy, but I don't think I did as bad as I thought I would.

Overall, I felt that this one was easier than AAMC 11, which was in my opinion the toughest of the AAMCs.

Now I'm gonna go into an induced-coma and wake up late May/early June. (What day is it exactly?)

SHIIIIIT I just finished...PS and BR were a lot easier than AAMC's. There were a couple calc heavy questions but not so bad. But BS... What the ****?!?!? There was so much ****ing Orgo!!!!!! And the bio passages were nitpicky as a mother ****er. At least I know I did good on writing.

I think you and I had the same exam lol

I felt like the last 2 VR where easy...

PS meh can't remenber if it was hard or not lol

BS - **** me!! It was mad hard. The orgo was intense. ***********

Last edited:
Holy crap... PS was hard. Harder than the crap I encountered in TPR.

Verbal, easier than most of the practice MCATs I've taken (TPR), hoping for a 13-15.

Writing, ehhh... first passage sucked, but second one was fine.

BS..couple hard questions, but after I finished the section (I left a couple incomplete), I clicked "Review incomplete." I quickly clicked through the ones I left blank just so I could get a gauge on how much time I had left to complete each question.

Once I finished the last one I thought I had completed, two more questions from the same passage popped up (they didn't show up when I did the initial run-through of the questions). I panicked since I only had 10 seconds left and just randomly guessed :mad: I filed a report with the testing center just cause it was such a bizarre situation that never happened during my practice AAMC or TPR tests. Granted, it was only two questions, but still... wtf?

:scared: this is gonna be a long 30 days...

just looked up another one from bio- WRONG. need to stop doing this. need to put away the computer and go focus on my EtOH consumption.

Remember guys- no details- they are serious about that Agreement. Be careful. I'd delete the above if I were you.

What the agreement means can be interpreted a few ways. He won't get in trouble for posting that. I doubt they even watch SDN much, they probably realize SDN is controlled by mcat fear and wouldn't dare post something anyways, lol. Besides they can't necessarily stop people from talking about the exam; only talking about the exam publicly.

PS: not hard but holy calculations....way to calc. heavy, had to guess on 3-4 at the end because time was becoming an issue

VR: just like other AAMC, either you feel comfortable with VR or you don't...and I like VR so I feel like I scored how I usually do (~10)

BS: pretty easy (surprisingly) minus the orgo, definitely played to my strengths thankfully

predictions

PS: 8-10 (LOL), VR:10-12, BS:10-12

GL guys, i'm staying off sdn for awhile

What the agreement means can be interpreted a few ways. He won't get in trouble for posting that. I doubt they even watch SDN much, they probably realize SDN is controlled by mcat fear and wouldn't dare post something anyways, lol. Besides they can't necessarily stop people from talking about the exam; only talking about the exam publicly.

Eh, my interpretation of the agreement indicated that we cannot disclose topics that were on the MCAT. This includes mentioning the detail the poster above said. We can say whether a section was hard as balls or not, but we can't mention anything about topics or details.

So the typical question: Do you guys feel that overall AAMC 10 and 11 are the most representative of the actual exam??? Do you feel that the exam was fair and within reasonable expectation based on the practice exams?

For those who used Kaplan FLs, did you think they were more or less difficult/convoluted/long compared with the actual MCAT??

Thanks!

I considered voiding at the end! D:

PS. The first few passages were easy, then I started freaking out on that abstract passage "that didn't really need a passage" (?) or maybe it was more towards the end... anyways, time started catching up to me, and I'm pretty sure I bombed. I just rushed thru the latter half and ALL'S A BLUR.
And yo, wanderedtoolong - I don't even remember those last 3 discretes you're talking about - I feel I may have skipped them too. SHOOT ME. D:

V. Definitely had better timing with the practice AAMC's -- but I don't know if these passages were necessarily longer as many seem to purport. I practiced with TPR, EK, and AAMC's and it felt comparable... to like a conglomerate of all three, lol. But I used AAMC's Official Guide and TPR this past week which I feel helped ALOT in nailing down the logic behind why some of the distractors are technically wrong.

Bio. There were a few obscure bits of knowledge in this one. But I definitely felt better about BS than PS since I had plenty of time.

FREK. PS was seriously the worst. I hate it.

My prediction of today:

PS 9 VR 8 BS 9 Writing R; which would be a score I'd be happy with honestly. I just want to get into a DO school.