The Official 5/21/2011 MCAT Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sacha

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone! I'm taking the test on 21st may and looking for fellow test takers:) I just started studying today...

Members don't see this ad.

This is how I understand it: The curve is pre-set. Basically all they have to do is take out the experimentals and grade the essays. The purpose of the experimental questions is to gauge the difficulty of the questions for use on future tests. The questions we got were a result of previous experimentals.

Ugh. I'm really hoping I'm pleasantly surprised on June 21. If I get my AAMC average (33) I will seriously burst into tears of happiness. That test was a hard one. Mine wasn't orgo-heavy, I actually thought BS was okay. PS killed meeeee

This is how I understand it: The curve is pre-set. Basically all they have to do is take out the experimentals and grade the essays. The purpose of the experimental questions is to gauge the difficulty of the questions for use on future tests. The questions we got were a result of previous experimentals.

Ugh. I'm really hoping I'm pleasantly surprised on June 21. If I get my AAMC average (33) I will seriously burst into tears of happiness. That test was a hard one. Mine wasn't orgo-heavy, I actually thought BS was okay. PS killed meeeee
Ismet, any idea on how many experimentals there might be in a section and cite your sources please? :)

(I really want you to be right)

Ismet, any idea on how many experimentals there might be in a section and cite your sources please? :)

(I really want you to be right)

I have no idea, and AAMC also says we can't speculate about what might have been experimental. I'm sure you could find some old SDN threads about it though! I just know the experimentals exist, and that's just from what my Kaplan instructor told me. Hoping they work in my favor! :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Contrary to what most say, I had far more issues with timing today than I normally do. I saw I had about 3 seconds to read and answer the last VR question and quickly picked a choice, then after time ran out I could see I picked the wrong one.

Same thing on BS...there were about 4 questions to go with 30 seconds left...didn't have a chance to actually answer any of them, so random clicking will have to be lucky. Other than that, the content wasn't too horrible...and I ran out of time on the last ochem, which honestly I suck at anyways. I was too much of a pansy to void...but at this point hoping for miracles.

PS is always my best subject since I actually know that crap compared to BSing everything else (engineer here), but for some reason I wasn't feeling it completely today. Hopefully that went all right.

It's gonna be a long month... :(

Btw, side note. Why does it take these people a month for this? I know they have to come up with a scale and everything, but I feel like with a computerized test that everyone is taking simultaneously, this shouldn't take nearly this long. I know the GRE's scaling is different, but when I took that I got a score immediately after choosing to not void...the only explanation I can think of is that they purposefully go out of their way to make this experience as miserable as possible.

Btw, side note. Why does it take these people a month for this? I know they have to come up with a scale and everything, but I feel like with a computerized test that everyone is taking simultaneously, this shouldn't take nearly this long. I know the GRE's scaling is different, but when I took that I got a score immediately after choosing to not void...the only explanation I can think of is that they purposefully go out of their way to make this experience as miserable as possible.

As far as I have heard from my MCAT instructor (who has talked with a few of the the higher-ups at the AAMC), they do a good amount of psychometric analysis to counteract test-wide variables. (Because question sequence/order effects cannot be predicted on a question-by-question difficulty basis.) Students with the same 7 questions presented in a different sequence will frequently score significantly differently. (e.g. if the hardest question is at the beginning, it might throw off test-takers timing and confidence more than if it were the last question in the passage).

The test-writers look for deviations in question-by-question performance on the real exam from their pre-set curve and can massage the scores accordingly, post-hoc. It's probably to our advantage that they do all this, especially as the MCAT matters SOOOOOO much more that the GRE. (which is the easiest test in history, for the record, having taken both).:ninja:

Plus, because MCAT test-takers seem so psychologically fragile and disturbed, AAMC doesn't want any wrongful death lawsuits after Johnny premed overreacts to his score.:boom:

Well - I'm staying off the boards for a month. when I took it before I had the LONGEST month's wait and i think a lot of it was due to me just counting down the days until I would know. This time I've made a goal to not think about it until at least a few days before scores come out.

See ya'll in a month!!!:D

Contrary to what most say, I had far more issues with timing today than I normally do. I saw I had about 3 seconds to read and answer the last VR question and quickly picked a choice, then after time ran out I could see I picked the wrong one.

Same thing on BS...there were about 4 questions to go with 30 seconds left...didn't have a chance to actually answer any of them, so random clicking will have to be lucky. Other than that, the content wasn't too horrible...and I ran out of time on the last ochem, which honestly I suck at anyways. I was too much of a pansy to void...but at this point hoping for miracles.

PS is always my best subject since I actually know that crap compared to BSing everything else (engineer here), but for some reason I wasn't feeling it completely today. Hopefully that went all right.

It's gonna be a long month... :(

I was crunching for time, too, Rohit. I don't know where it went. I speculate it was because I spent too much time on a question that, in hindsight, I probably ended up missing. I had no problems with timing on the 7 practice exams that I took.

Also, I wouldn't worry about your guessing on those 4 q's in bio. I had to do this for about half a passage on VR. Ironically, this was the section I prepped the most for (re-taker here).

PS was somewhat blah. After the first passage (which only had 4 questions!), I was veiled with a false sense of security. Oh well, I guess I would rather start out a test with a good feeling--even if it was for only 4 out of the 52 questions.

As far as I have heard from my MCAT instructor (who has talked with a few of the the higher-ups at the AAMC), they do a good amount of psychometric analysis to counteract test-wide variables. (Because question sequence/order effects cannot be predicted on a question-by-question difficulty basis.) Students with the same 7 questions presented in a different sequence will frequently score significantly differently. (e.g. if the hardest question is at the beginning, it might throw off test-takers timing and confidence more than if it were the last question in the passage).

The test-writers look for deviations in question-by-question performance on the real exam from their pre-set curve and can massage the scores accordingly, post-hoc. It's probably to our advantage that they do all this, especially as the MCAT matters SOOOOOO much more that the GRE. (which is the easiest test in history, for the record, having taken both).:ninja:

Plus, because MCAT test-takers seem so psychologically fragile and disturbed, AAMC doesn't want any wrongful death lawsuits after Johnny premed overreacts to his score.:boom:

I agree with you on this; except about the GRE mattering less than MCAT. They both measure completely different things. And, yes, the GRE would be substantially easier than the MCAT because it's a generalized admissions test for graduate schools. There's not a 'qualifier' before GRE, and that's why some programs, like physics graduate programs, require a Physics GRE. Basically, it's like saying the LSAT is easier than the MCAT--this may or may not be qualitatively true, but they test completely different things, and, in my mind, you cannot compare theme but for the fact they are all standardized tests.

Not trying to start a war, but just my two 0.02. I have also taken the GRE, and I agree that it is easier than the MCAT, but I don't think it's more or less important.

MCAT Reminder Notice: Don’t Discuss Exam Content After You Take the MCAT, on Internet Postings or Otherwise

The AAMC has requested that SDN provide the following reminder notice to all MCAT® examinees:

When you take the MCAT exam, you agree to a nondisclosure agreement that includes a prohibition on disclosing exam content. This means:

You MAY comment on your general exam experience such as test center conditions or how you felt about a particular section, such as the writing section or biological sciences.

You MAY NOT:
  • Post the text (full or partial) of a test question and/or a test answer
  • Reconstruct a list of topics tested in a particular section
  • Mention a specific topic that was tested on an exam
  • Outline the steps or process to answer a specific question
  • Speculate about which passages are field test or experimental items

This policy is intended to protect the fairness and integrity of the examination process for all examinees. Thank you very much for you cooperation.

While you may read or hear other guidelines that are not consistent with these statements, keep in mind that this information is directly from AAMC and is meant to help you share your MCAT experience without violating the nondisclosure agreement. For more information, go to https://www.aamc.org/students/applyi...iscussion.html.

Important:
  • The AAMC actively searches SDN threads for people who disclose information from their MCAT exams.
  • While SDN's strict TRUSTe certified privacy policy is to not disclose the identity of its members, AAMC may subpoena such information and if so, SDN must comply.
  • If you are caught doing so, the AAMC reserves the right to report this activity to all schools to which you've applied, void your MCAT score, and revoke your eligibility to sit for future MCAT exams.
  • If this occurs, you will never be able to attend a US Medical School.
  • Consequently, please realize that we maintain an extremely strict policy for the good of everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lemme know if this shouldn't be discussed, but I don't think it goes against the agreement.

Does anyone know how scoring the experimental questions work? As in, how does the fact that they 'remove' the experimental questions work into how they score the mcat?

Last edited:
Why did you void if you were pimpin' mid 30's? Everywhere but SDN mid 30's is an excellent score...90th percentile.

I was tempted to void, thinking about signing up for the next available MCAT tomorrow morning...

I always read about people who considered voiding but get like 34. Is this just because we lack self-confidence or what?

Could be. Maybe we're all just perfectionists. Or maybe we all did really bad and they just curve really generously so it all turns out okay. :confused:

I voided only because I had not finished my study schedule (Sn2eds schedule modified). It sounds crazy but the feeling of knowing I missed or had to guess on a couple of questions just from not finishing my content review was unsettling. I like to know that the score I get will be my best effort when I am what I consider well prepared. I probably would have hit 30+ but I would rather take the test at full potential as intended.

Plus if I would have scored 2-3 points lower than what I liked it would have been tough to go in next time knowing I need to beat a decent score rather than just having to get a decent score.

just saying hey...

Took the MCAT 5/21/11 as well....second time for me.

Taking it a second time definitely helped me out, I was way less stressed.

PS: not too bad think it was on the more difficult side for MCAT but I finished with 5 min so I hope that extra time helped me for review. Got couple easy ones wrong which I'm pretty pissed about but whatever. Was praying for a lens passage or something on radioactive decay but nooope.

VR: I dunno.. it's verbal..averaged 10-11 on all practice so keeping fingers crossed. I felt the reading was easy..some tricky questions..I always narrow it down to 2 choices but somehow manage to pick the wrong 1 most the time.

BS: I hope this section saved me. I finished with 12 min left and had time to review everything twice. Orgo wasn't too bad..same concepts tested in different way.

Overall I have no idea how I did but I've taken mcat already and got 31..need higher to compensate for low gpa. I am praying I don't have to go through this hell again:xf:

I agree with you on this; except about the GRE mattering less than MCAT. They both measure completely different things. And, yes, the GRE would be substantially easier than the MCAT because it's a generalized admissions test for graduate schools. There's not a 'qualifier' before GRE, and that's why some programs, like physics graduate programs, require a Physics GRE. Basically, it's like saying the LSAT is easier than the MCAT--this may or may not be qualitatively true, but they test completely different things, and, in my mind, you cannot compare theme but for the fact they are all standardized tests.

Not trying to start a war, but just my two 0.02. I have also taken the GRE, and I agree that it is easier than the MCAT, but I don't think it's more or less important.

Fair enough. Difficulty: *For me* I remember the GRE not taxing my brain much, (both the main one and the subject test I took). The blend of critical reading and outside knowledge required to excel on the MCAT far exceeded. It was not too tough to get 40 GRE verbal questions right in a row, but an unattained feat for me on the MCAT. For the subject GRE test, I remember basically a test of straight memorization/comprehension of basic facts within the discipline (Psychology). For the MCAT, sheer mastery of content will get nobody a 15 on a section--novel and applied thinking is required every time. Then again you weren't disagreeing with the greater MCAT difficulty...

Importance: In my discipline, I do not recall either the GRE Psych nor GRE being accorded the same level of attention or value by the graduate programs I was considering in comparison to MCAT's weight in the Med school admissions process. I imagine there is data to substantiate the MCAT's greater weight, but going to bed now matters more to me than finding proof, so I'll leave this point as based solely on my subjective perception.

Comparability: As to whether they are fundamentally dissimilar and thus incomparable, I will just argue that having taken both, had little difficulty with one and more with the other, I can in my own mind compare the degree to which each exam challenged me. So yes, qualitatively, subjectively "compare-able".

In any event, thanks for the good points you made. I think we basically agree but differ as to which side of the 2-cent coin we put our emphasis.

I took it on the 21st and am not super confident with my performance. I felt one question came totally out of left field and I know I 1) did not learn in college and 2) is not a part of the Princeton Review Hyperlearning that I used to study. I did all of the AAMC practice tests except one during the two weeks before the MCAT and my scores hovered around 35, with my two highest being 37 and 39 so I was not nervous taking the test.

I now feel like the AAMC practice tests were not very representative of the content distribution and question difficulty on the exam - the practice tests were easier. Also (and I speak from experience as a high school physics/science teacher and tutor and former college TA), I can remember two questions with very ambiguous (i.e. poorly written) wording and answer choices. However, this is comparable to the practice exams, because half of them had a question that was poorly conceived.

This could be test day jitters, but I do not recall having any "wtf?!" moments when practicing with AAMC's tests, and I definitely had two or three this day.

NOTE: I can not change the posting title, but I realize one can not be "usnure."

I took it on the 21st and am not super confident with my performance. I felt one question came totally out of left field and I know I 1) did not learn in college and 2) is not a part of the Princeton Review Hyperlearning that I used to study. I did all of the AAMC practice tests except one during the two weeks before the MCAT and my scores hovered around 35, with my two highest being 37 and 39 so I was not nervous taking the test.

I now feel like the AAMC practice tests were not very representative of the content distribution and question difficulty on the exam - the practice tests were easier. Also (and I speak from experience as a high school physics/science teacher and tutor and former college TA), I can remember two questions with very ambiguous (i.e. poorly written) wording and answer choices. However, this is comparable to the practice exams, because half of them had a question that was poorly conceived.

This could be test day jitters, but I do not recall having any "wtf?!" moments when practicing with AAMC's tests, and I definitely had two or three this day.

NOTE: I can not change the posting title, but I realize one can not be "usnure."

I agree with you about the poorly worded questions. In fact, there is one question in particular on the PS that I think had two answer choices that were the same. That is, both were right, but just worded differently.

I am 'usnure' :D if I should write to the AAMC about this because, while I KNOW I saw this question and remembered the choices, I am not sure if I remember the question stem correctly. I don't think I imagined it.

Advice?

You can add one more to that list...

No motivation post MCAT though... still bummed by my performance.

Does anyone know if there are any differences btwn the online and paper back version of the MSAR?

How can you be bummed by a performance when you don't know what the performance is?

I agree with you about the poorly worded questions. In fact, there is one question in particular on the PS that I think had two answer choices that were the same. That is, both were right, but just worded differently.

I am 'usnure' :D if I should write to the AAMC about this because, while I KNOW I saw this question and remembered the choices, I am not sure if I remember the question stem correctly. I don't think I imagined it.

Advice?

I strongly considered it, even going so far as to note the question numbers on the test that I thought were unfair, but when I was about to leave the room I asked myself if I honestly wanted to poke the sleeping giant that decides an integral part of my medical school application and decided nope, I don't. I gave my scrap paper to the test administrator and have tried hard to forget the details of those couple questions. If they were concerned about the validity of each and every question the process would be a little more transparent, allowing for you to file a dispute BEFORE you leave the test so you don't have to try your best to remember, possibly misquote the MCAT, and potentially just look like a doof. So while I would admire the effort, I think it might just be best to live with the doubt.

Last edited:
How can you be bummed by a performance when you don't know what the performance is?

eh... just the gut feeling I got afterwards. I think I had to guess on more questions than on practice tests, so it left me with an uneasy feeling. In my head, guessing on more questions = bad.

Like I said in the 5/20 thread, I noticed two typos on the 5/20 test. Anybody know what the policy regarding typos is?

i feel the same way as you marshall. did decent on the 8 AMCAS practice tests, never had to really guess at all, but i found myself guessing on a lot of the orgo passages in this one (and I'm not talking educational guess, but more like "well, I haven't guessed C in a while").
i imagine people on these types of forums are always expecting a big curve after the test, but the BS section seemed to be atypical to me. any idea or expectation of a curve for BS?

I strongly considered it, even going so far as to note the question numbers on the test that I thought were unfair, but when I was about to leave the room I asked myself if I honestly wanted to poke the sleeping giant that decides an integral part of my medical school application and decided nope, I don't. I gave my scrap paper to the test administrator and have tried hard to forget the details of those couple questions. If they were concerned about the validity of each and every question the process would be a little more transparent, allowing for you to file a dispute BEFORE you leave the test so you don't have to try your best to remember, possibly misquote the MCAT, and potentially just look like a doof. So while I would admire the effort, I think it might just be best to live with the doubt.

At least I am not alone. I think I may actually try to do it. I feel as though even if I look like a doof trying to explain a question that is so vague to me as to possibly be influenced by other questions, then I won't care. The AAMC must realize that since make you sign away your left nut to respect the confidentiality of the exam that they would expect people not being to fully reconstruct the question. If they aren't, then they're just a-holes.

Contact the AAMC. I'm from the 4/29 administration and there was one confirmed mistake that was brought to the attention of the AAMC by another member, and is now being scrapped.

Whoa! Seriously?! So how does scoring work if something gets scrapped? Does everyone automatically get a point for that question or is the total now n-1?

Yeah, I guess I can live with that haha. It does matter a ton more. The GRE is honestly really stupid (I've taken it as well). It's such a small part of most grad school admissions anyways.

I'm just impatient damnit!

I was crunching for time, too, Rohit. I don't know where it went. I speculate it was because I spent too much time on a question that, in hindsight, I probably ended up missing. I had no problems with timing on the 7 practice exams that I took.

Also, I wouldn't worry about your guessing on those 4 q's in bio. I had to do this for about half a passage on VR. Ironically, this was the section I prepped the most for (re-taker here).

PS was somewhat blah. After the first passage (which only had 4 questions!), I was veiled with a false sense of security. Oh well, I guess I would rather start out a test with a good feeling--even if it was for only 4 out of the 52 questions.
Yeah...you basically just described my test experience there. Normally I'm actually pretty good at PS, especially when there are really obscure E&M physics passages (about the only thing I know :) haha)...but this wasn't that. First 4 easy questions, after that it was more unclear.

Bio is what I'm most worried about :( ... but thanks for the reassurance. We'll wait it out I guess.

Yeah I get you...but I do think the MCAT is pretty unquestionably more important than the GRE. I applied to EE grad school, got a perfect on math (which is expected of engineers honestly), and not even all that great on verbal. It's more of a formality for admission than anything, since it's so general and has virtually nothing to do with EE. I know it depends on program, but I can tell you no one in my experience has dedicated as much time and effort to the GRE as they have to the MCAT. It's a far more specific exam for a specific purpose. But it really doesn't matter anyways...it was just an example I was bringing up because I'm upset I have to wait so long hahah.

Last edited:
Whoa! Seriously?! So how does scoring work if something gets scrapped? Does everyone automatically get a point for that question or is the total now n-1?

Screw this. I looked at the MCAT essentials and to challenge a question you need the question number. I guess I could write to them and say, "This question was in PS, in the second passage, somewhere."

I mean, it's kind of ridiculous that they expect the exact number. Sure, I can understand they need to be thorough, but I didn't think to write down the question number. I actually thought about the question after I was out of the test.

I didn't notice any typos in questions, but I did notice some pretty terrible and obvious typos in one of the ochem passages. It looked almost like a poorly translated passage with the consistent errors.

I'm kicking myself for not writing down the question numbers. They were typos in the answer choices. One of them was definitely confusing. There's no way I remember enough to contact them now.

I'm kicking myself for not writing down the question numbers. They were typos in the answer choices. One of them was definitely confusing. There's no way I remember enough to contact them now.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it now. If it was a bad question then it was bad for everyone. I think it's actually good that you focused more on finishing the test as opposed to challenging bad questions on it. ;)

I'm not really talking about typos here. I'm talking one question in particular that, if I remember it correctly, had two answer choices that were technically equivalent. I'm pretty sure these two answer choices were the correct answer.

It was along the lines of:

"A direction in which all birds fly during the winter is what?
a.West
b. East
c. South
d. Opposite of North"

Obviously, not the best question and answer, but the answer to the question was represented in two answer choices, just worded differently. Since I can't get into specifics here, this makes it difficult.

I'm not really talking about typos here. I'm talking one question in particular that, if I remember it correctly, had two answer choices that were technically equivalent. I'm pretty sure these two answer choices were the correct answer.

It was along the lines of:

"A direction in which all birds fly during the winter is what?
a.West
b. East
c. South
d. Opposite of North"

Obviously, not the best question and answer, but the answer to the question was represented in two answer choices, just worded differently. Since I can't get into specifics here, this makes it difficult.

I know you're just coming up with an arbitrary example, but when there's two answers that are the same thing, aren't they both usually wrong?

So, for example (nothing MCAT related) if a question asks; "A cat is a..."

a) bird
b) avian
c) mammal
d) amphibian

Even though A and B are the same thing, they're both wrong so the correct choice must be one of the two that aren't saying the same thing.

Just my two pence.

I know you're just coming up with an arbitrary example, but when there's two answers that are the same thing, aren't they both usually wrong?

So, for example (nothing MCAT related) if a question asks; "A cat is a..."

a) bird
b) avian
c) mammal
d) amphibian

Even though A and B are the same thing, they're both wrong so the correct choice must be one of the two that aren't saying the same thing.

Just my two pence.

It wasn't like this. I knew the answer, and it was essentially more like this:

"1 + 3=
a.) 0 + 3
b.) 2 +2
c.) 4 + 0
d.) 1 + 0

I knew the answer to this particular question, and I realized that C was the same thing as B (which is what I hypothetically chose). I could have conceivably misunderstood the question, but I knew the answer straightaway.

Maybe I'm thinking too much about it. I could have imagined it.

It wasn't like this. I knew the answer, and it was essentially more like this:

"1 + 3=
a.) 0 + 3
b.) 2 +2
c.) 4 + 0
d.) 1 + 0

I knew the answer to this particular question, and I realized that C was the same thing as B (which is what I hypothetically chose). I could have conceivably misunderstood the question, but I knew the answer straightaway.

Maybe I'm thinking too much about it. I could have imagined it.
If that's the case, then I don't think they can legitimately penalize you for it. I'm sure they'll catch something like that during the grading process, I hope. :xf:

690 hours 24 minutes. I've already checked three times to see if my score are up. I have problems. :bang:

I've been doing that too :)

Except, I only see my OLD ones from 2007. Each time, it's like, "Oh, crap." But then I realize they're the old ones. Hopefully that conditions me a bit.:)

I feel like at times there are two correct answers with one more specific than the other. The more specific one wins.

I feel like at times there are two correct answers with one more specific than the other. The more specific one wins.

This makes sense. But this question had two correct answers that said the same thing.

I might write to them. I'm not sure. Either way, I will have to decide because they have a 5-day limit to send in a challenge (more BS).

Screw this. I looked at the MCAT essentials and to challenge a question you need the question number. I guess I could write to them and say, "This question was in PS, in the second passage, somewhere."

I mean, it's kind of ridiculous that they expect the exact number. Sure, I can understand they need to be thorough, but I didn't think to write down the question number. I actually thought about the question after I was out of the test.

Haha I know man, that's what I was referencing before when I was saying they clearly aren't concerned with it. I mean, it's probably the most stressful test any of us will take until the USMLE and they expect you to recall wording and question number while finishing the exam? Absurd. Then you have to challenge via the Pony Express? Lastly, it takes 4-6 weeks for a response and results come out in 4? What are they going to do, send you a sorry card and a cookie? I could only reason that the score delay was for challenges, but now I really wonder if it is just another trick to thin the herd.

Haha I know man, that's what I was referencing before when I was saying they clearly aren't concerned with it. I mean, it's probably the most stressful test any of us will take until the USMLE and they expect you to recall wording and question number while finishing the exam? Absurd. Then you have to challenge via the Pony Express? Lastly, it takes 4-6 weeks for a response and results come out in 4? What are they going to do, send you a sorry card and a cookie? I could only reason that the score delay was for challenges, but now I really wonder if it is just another trick to thin the herd.

No doubt! I had to think about it when they said, "You must send your challenge via postal mail."

I said, "What is that?!?!? Not like internet?!?!"
:D

This makes sense. But this question had two correct answers that said the same thing.

I might write to them. I'm not sure. Either way, I will have to decide because they have a 5-day limit to send in a challenge (more BS).

Wait. For some reason I feel like I remember making a note of this as well. Got rid of the scratch paper though. I think I know what you're talking about but I don't remember the question.

Was this on PS?

Go for it.

I remember this question!!!! I was like :rolleyes:, took best guess and moved on :D

Last edited by a moderator: