The Official August 15, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axa5780

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'am signed up for this date. I didn't find a thread for August 15th, so here it is. Let's make this a fun experience, and hope we all come out the other end satisfied with our score.

Materials:
PS: BR Physics, NOVA Physics, BR Chemistry, EK 1001 Chem & Phys
BS: EK Biology, BR Biology, EK 1001 Biol
Verbal: EK 101, TPR Verbal

Extras: TPRH SW, WIkiPremed Flashcards & videos. All AAMC FL plus all Kaplan FL.

Lets do this.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Whoever coined the phrase "ignorance is bliss" clearly never waited for their MCAT results...

Reactions: 4 users
Just woke up from a dream where I got disowned by my parents after getting a 20 on the MCAT. This wait is mental torture. Why does this **** take 30 days?

I think it is actually to our benefit it takes 30 days. First off, they offer many examinations that all need to be normalized. While they do definitely have a pre-scale that they score the exam on, they still do normalize the data when it comes in. For example, this may be the first exam where they are using certain questions that had been experimental questions on previous exams. If the majority of the population got it correct or vice versa, they need to decide whether to keep the question and that certainly involves committee's consisting of high level educators/physicians/scientists. Also, questions might be of varying difficulty and hold more weight and these decisions are also made my committee's

All in all it is to our advantage it takes a long time because they will make sure to normalize the data so most exam takers receive a "fair" score.

Finally, I suggest you check out a post by @TonyTonyChopper in the August 7th thread:

Okay with this thread dying down, I wanted to end with the final statistics. This is for future test takers of the old mcat and is intended to be informational. Please take this with a grain of salt though, as this is an observational study (possibly badly done too since I'm not a social scientist and not a person who usually does observational studies). This is not a true experiment. Nothing was manipulated and data was collected only from posters of this thread. Nobody privately messaged me, so all the data is right here for others to reproduce.
Quoted below are posts that talked about the statistics. Then after that are the final outcomes.

View attachment 185431
Grey background bars: Expected score distribution for a population of 107 people. Based on AAMC published data of all 2013 test takers.
Blue bars: Predicted Scores
Red bars: AAMC average scores (rounded, e.g. 29.5 = 30, 35.3 = 35)
Gold bars: Actual exam scores from August 7th, 2014 - 8am and 2pm exam times

8am:
Total People: 30

AAMC Average 33.0, st. dev 3.2 (21 responses, 70% response rate)
Predicted 31.3 st. dev 3.4 (20 responses, 67% response rate)
Actual 32.5 st. dev 3.9 (20 responses, 67% response rate)

2pm:
Total people: 77

AAMC Average 31.3, st. dev 3.8 (40 responses, 52% response rate)
Predicted 29.4 st. dev 4.0 (40 responses, 52% response rate)
Actual 31.9 st. dev 4.8 (47 responses, 61% response rate)

Both Times:
Total people: 107

AAMC Average 31.9 , st. dev 3.7 (61 responses, 57% response rate)
Predicted 30.0, st. dev 3.9 (60 responses, 56% response rate)
Actual 32.1, st. dev 4.5 (67 responses, 63% response rate)

I kept track of people who joined the conversation after scores were released and old posters who have been a part of this thread before scores were released. I found no significant difference between the groups. So, people who appear out of nowhere on this thread once scores are released do not necessarily have insane scores (35+). There is a fair share of new posters who have lower scores too to balance out. We just tend to remember those 41s and 42s who come out of nowhere and not the 25s or 26s who add their posts into the thread.

Also important, I noted nine individuals who either have been a part of this thread pretty diligently and all of a sudden disappeared once scores were posted or individuals who have noted in their posts that they scored pretty low and understandably don't feel comfortable posting their scores. So the actual score average might be a little lower, and this might come into play for the analysis of the next paragraph. If all those people scored 10 points below their average, then yeah, we might have a problem. But I've seen quite a few people (not necessarily in this thread) scoring averages of 25s, expect a 30+, but actually got a 25. Thankfully those people posted their scores and made me realize those individuals exist too. So keep in mind, a person might not say their score because THEY feel it's below their expectation, even if it might be a good score or their score is to be expected. Therefore, I believe the actual averages will not significantly change due to the nine individuals. Some might have relatively good scores (30+), but were below their expectations

I compared AAMC averages with Actual scores from people who gave BOTH scores, not just one or the other. Overall there was no difference. 2pm's actual score was 0.7 points above their AAMC average and 8am was exactly the same. So no difference. It can be inferred that you will score your AAMC average. Trust your average! In fact, 14 people out of 55 people (25%) who gave me both scores scored the EXACT same AAMC average (after rounding the aamc average). That's quite a significant number of people. Fortunately, I scored 3 points above my average :p However, my last two AAMC practice exams I took were a 39 and 37 (AAMC 9 and 8 respectively), and the average of those two was my actual score. I am so lucky. Thank you all who supported me :luck: :soexcited:

Now in contrast, the mean difference between the AAMC average (not rounded) and Actual score was +0.47 (st. dev 2.34). The mean absolute difference was 1.88 (st. dev 1.45). So if I am interpreting this right, even though on average people pretty much score their exact AAMC average (as suggested by the previous paragraph), if you look at the absolute difference, it suggests otherwise. People tend to score about +/- 1.88 from their average. However, we predicted that people tend to score +/- 2 from their AAMC average, which isn't bad, and the data supports that!

In one sentence: Most likely, you will score your AAMC average, BUT on average, you will score +/- 1.88 from your AAMC average. Hope that makes sense.

Think of a bell curve centered around your average. The peak of the curve is your mode, which is your average. You are most likely to score your mode/average and you are most likely to stay within 2 points of your average. However, don't fret if you score +/- 3 or 4. Keep in mind it is a possibility, but a little less likely (the standard deviation of the absolute difference is 1.45, 1.88+1.45 = +/- 3.33)

Also note 8am was not necessarily easier than 2pm. Look at the AAMC averages from both times and compare to their respective actual scores. They are about the same. More people might have done slightly worse in 2pm than 8am, but those people were slightly worse exam takers to begin with.

Furthermore, we had about a 60% response rate of posters who posted at least one message saying they took this exam. This is good news! We were expecting like around 30% and not even close to 60% at best.

Finally, SDN exam takers are indeed above average. We have a mean, median, and mode of 32! Great Job!!! Proud of y'all, even those who might not have gotten what they wished for :biglove:

Hope this is very informative! Peace out. Back to being a lurker, that is if I am ever on here again.:hello::hello::hello:

Even though the post is anecdotal, it still shows the reason the AAMC takes so long to grade the MCAT and that is to get as many people as possible the score they "deserve".

This still doesn't take away from the torture of waiting... I switch off between extreme happiness that I will score my AAMC average and severe depression thinking I bombed questions or missed a passage. Only 3 more days!!!!

p.s. this is just pure conjecture on my part with a bit of information from a professor who has been involved with the AAMC in the past.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
80% of all the nights since 8/15 have been filled with MCAT dreams... either I score above my average or bomb the exam. It's complete torture.
Same. I have a reoccurring dream of a 15/14/15 and 14/13/14 breakdown, and then the occasional nightmare of 10/7/10

That moment when you get a gash on your leg with broken oil glass three days before score release and you're like,
"MY SCORE BETTER BE F*CKIN GREAT FROM HAVING TO DEAL WITH THIS"

And so begins the unrealistic scapegoating

That moment when you get a gash on your leg with broken oil glass three days before score release and you're like,
"MY SCORE BETTER BE F*CKIN GREAT FROM HAVING TO DEAL WITH THIS"

And so begins the unrealistic scapegoating

I already broke some glassware in lab and thought it would increase my mcat score because karma will obviously even things out, right? Right...?

^^I am with you guys. I spilled water on my computer while I was taking one of the practice tests. (Thanks to that, I now have nonfunctioning keys and have to plug in a keyboard to my laptop.) My score better be worth it!

Since it seems I have gotten into the habit of posting Simpson's clips reflecting what might happen the day we get our scores - it can be one of two things - You can either be homer, or the guy who gets slammed with the ball

Reactions: 1 users
Results in...
The_Day_After_Tomorrow_background-wallpaper.jpg

well the hard drive on my computer fried on thursday and I had to replace it (upgraded to an SSD, never going back), so I think karma is on my side

Hopefully we all did well and don't have to retake it. If I do have to retake it, I'm not sure which one to take. I somehow managed 75% on the psych/soc trial section, but the introductory psychology and sociology classes I took were a joke (I took them at a community college in high school). For the memory recall/theory questions, I just went with whichever name or word I liked the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a dream that I dreamt about getting a 39 and went to SDN to tell you all about it. Sequel to Inception with an MCAT twist?

The sad part is that even my subconscious knew that it was just a dream because when I say I'm hoping for a miracle, that miracle is a 29. A score of 39 never ever appeared in my thought process.

Re-looking at AAMC 11 PS section in case I have to re-write on the 18th..let me just say it looks like a cake walk compared to what we ha to endure.

Reactions: 2 users
Re-looking at AAMC 11 PS section in case I have to re-write on the 18th..let me just say it looks like a cake walk compared to what we ha to endure.
I sure hope thats the case.....I personally didn't mind the conceptual aspect of the test....Lets hope my score reflects that statement :heckyeah:

Yeah, the physics questions we had were definitely tricky!
I love math, yet physics is my weak point because my physics class was way back in freshman year and we didn't cover everything we were supposed to. :((Between both semesters, we covered like 6 chapters out of the 32 that our book had! We skipped the sections on mechanical advantage, fluids/solids, waves, optics, etc.)

I sure hope thats the case.....I personally didn't mind the conceptual aspect of the test....Lets hope my score reflects that statement :heckyeah:

Honestly I left feeling like my bum hurt too much from PS, I'm fully expecting 7-8 in that section even though I never scored below an 12 (Except once for 11)...well let us see what happens.

I've had dreams of getting 18, 20, and 24 the past 3 days. Hopefully the upward trend continues to me getting a 29? lol #wishful thinking. But srsly that ps doe. I have never seen something that challenging or physics heavy in well ever, and i've done all the kaplan and aamc full lengths.

I was mostly pissed about how physics-heavy it was. I remember there was like one chem passage which is so skewed from the supposed 50/50 ratio. I'm a chemistry major so that's usually what buoys my PS and I definitely didn't have that luxury on the real exam.

I was mostly pissed about how physics-heavy it was. I remember there was like one chem passage which is so skewed from the supposed 50/50 ratio. I'm a chemistry major so that's usually what buoys my PS and I definitely didn't have that luxury on the real exam.

There were actually 3 chem passage. 1st one about polymer water, a acid base and one on thermodynamic /thermochem

There were actually 3 chem passage. 1st one about polymer water, a acid base and one on thermodynamic /thermochem
"There are different tests administered each testing period, even if at the same time. Questions and passages you may hve on your test will not be the same as others have." I remember only the first two of those.

Exactly! I am a bio and chem double major. The whole reason I added the chem major instead of graduating early was so that I would do better on the MCAT. Although with all the physics, I should have majored in physics instead of chem.

Did anyone else find the biology section of the test very difficult?
Definitely more so than PS. Some of the discretes were really specific and the last couple of passages were hard to understand. I guess they hit my weak spots. AAMC 11's BS was cake compared to this.

Definitely more so than PS. Some of the discretes were really specific and the last couple of passages were hard to understand. I guess they hit my weak spots. AAMC 11's BS was cake compared to this.
Yes exactly…that and I didn't manage my time well so when I reached those last passages, I was so screwed

I feel like you guys had a different test, and it was comparable to AAMC 11 if not easier (except some discretes which were very specific). For me in terms of difficulty it was PS>>>>>>VR>>>BS

Cause I mean, I'm not like a BS master (haha BS master), so to hear people on SDN who are generally do well in most sections say BS was hard...methinks different test

PS was totally surprising and just weird and VR was to be expected but I found the passages much longer.

I can see how someone who has a lot of bio research and lab experience would be okay with BS section we got. I am not that person though. At least one passage required inferences really beyond general bio.

Quit talking about if we took the same test or not... that is so august 16th.

Don't say results in or scores posted, unless its the real thing!

2 days

Does it ever happen that results get posted earlier? I don't want to lower my life expectancy by getting a heart attack each time I check

The funny thing is that water polymer passage concept was on one of my Kaplan practice test I wish i have reviewed that passage one more time. When I started my exam I was surprise to see that topic. It was very similar to the Kaplan passage.

I now fully understand the anxiety experienced by people the day before in the other threads. The feeling is most definitely real.

Don't scores come out today?? People said exactly 30 days, even though aamc says 30-35. Today is day 30, right? I'm going to vom if it's actually tomorrow :arghh:

There is an ominous storm rolling in where I live. And by ominous I mean those dark clouds of impending doom. *Puts lamb blood on door so the doom passes me over*

Don't scores come out today?? People said exactly 30 days, even though aamc says 30-35. Today is day 30, right? I'm going to vom if it's actually tomorrow :arghh:

Schedule says they are being released tomorrow ~5 pm ET.

I still have zero idea about half of the bio discretes. I have never seen questions like those before. The passages were manageable but those discretes... Also the amount/difficulty of orgo was ridiculous. I've heard (and seen on the practice exams) that lab techniques are what they usually test for organic. Spent this past summer doing organic research... Not one question on techniques. #thanksAAMC

I expect them to be released tomorrow. Please not today, my body is not ready.

I have an exam tomorrow in cell and molecular biology from 4:00-5:15 so that'll be a blast trying to concentrate during the test when I know my scores are being released. Or have already been released. Sometimes they release them earlier than 5! Ah!

Last week the AAMC twitter announced the release of scores at around 1:15ish. I'm assuming central time since that's where I live

worked in the ER yesterday and did my own little experiment

Before going on SDN; BP = 118/78 and HR 87
After going on SDN; BP 140/100 and HR 110

I sense a causal correlation between going on SDN + waiting for MCAT and unhealthy rises in BP and HR. I wish to publish these findings in NEJM, promptly get my 45 and my MD/PHD from Harvard...kthxbye.

Been watching this thread for a while and figured I'd go ahead and put my predictions up, if for no other reason that to try to get out of my head a little bit by putting thoughts to paper (or to a computer screen in this case).
AAMC MCAT 3-11 Average: 30
AAMC 8-11 Average: 33
Predicted Score: 28

I feel as though I prepared fairly well, I was doing my own research during the summer too which ended up cutting into a lot of my time, as well as getting sober, so I definitely had some things pulling me in various directions. In hindsight I wish I would have done things a little differently as far as preparing, namely doing more secondary practice tests to build up knowledge rather than solely relying on the gold that is the AAMC practice tests. I'm fairly certain I had the same PS section as most of the posters on here (i.e. the one from hell) and that is the main reason I'm not exactly bullish on my score. PS and VR were my two strengths, and while I'm sure I did fine on my VR, I was really counting on maintaining at least my minimum score of 11 on PS to balance out my weaker BS. At this point I don't really think my safety net was there for me this time, and thus am preparing for the worst and getting ready to register for the November MCAT.

I know that we are all really competitive people and there are only so many spots available for us to fight over, but I sincerely hope you all did well. I wouldn't even wish a bad score on my worst enemy. I know how much this test sucks, so lets just hope every single one of us gets above and beyond what we hope for.

We've been waiting for what seems like forever and now, I don't even want to see my score..... this is miserable. I just want to curl up in a ball.