The Official August 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vsantav

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Registration opens up sometime today so I thought I'd go ahead and make this thread. Anyone else taking it in August?

Members don't see this ad.

MCAT score: 513 (129/124/129/131)

AAMC FL: 84% 85% 87% 79%
Kaplan test (most recent): 504 128/125/124/127 (After the point adjustements)
Princeton test (most recent 499 125/125/124/125)
EK test 1: 63%/74%/65%/60%
Ek test 4: 75%/53%/61%/66% (both EK done within a week of my actual MCAT)

Comments: this is my third time taking and I improved in everything - yes even CARS.. but obviously not the big improvement that I was looking for in verbal. If this was my first test I would retake but its my 3rd so I'm kinda on the fence right now... I think I am going to try to apply to mid - low tier U.S schools and hope for a miracle. Most canadian are out of the question I guess - maybe univeristy of toronto (would doing a Master's help?)

I would say the AAMC FL is an accurate indicator for the sciences and most representative as well - Definitely not for verbal since the actual MCAT passages were MUCH longer and the questions were a bit harder.
Kaplan and Princeton are good for the sciences and their psychology sections were helpful. My MCAT had a lot of just pure chem/phys and even organic chemistry passages however which is not at all like the kaplan and princeton chem/phys.
EK is just wtf for the sciences espically biology and the verbal is pretty hard for EK as well. Overall i expected my verbal to 124-126 range so no surprises I guess but this year I felt more rushed even with the extra time for some reason..

I would say if you can consistently score around 505 for princeton and kaplan you have a good chance. And for EK a pretty good score is 70% and above since their tests involves a lot of critical thinking.

If anyone knows of U.S schools that looks more at overall and not too much on verbal I would really appreciate the heads up. Thanks.

Hey Bunny,

How did you feel about the CARS section of the actual MCAT? Did you feel rushed or ran out of time? Your AAMC FL is pretty high.

Also, have you looked into UBC? I think UofT needs 125 in each section but I believe UBC is 124, so maybe look into that?

Hey Bunny,

How did you feel about the CARS section of the actual MCAT? Did you feel rushed or ran out of time? Your AAMC FL is pretty high.

Also, have you looked into UBC? I think UofT needs 125 in each section but I believe UBC is 124, so maybe look into that?

Hey TheAnonymous, thanks for your reply. Ya I did feel rushed but I have this nasty habit of doing the first couple of passages really slowly and relaxed and then panicking for the last 3 passages lol. So I remember guessing for the last 5 questions since I ran out of time... but oddly enough I got a 6 on my last verbal and I finished on time and felt great about it soooo your feelings are def not a good predictor of anything as you can see from a lot of people.

Honestly the AAMC FL questions were so straight forward in my opinion... and again the passages didn't seem as long. I think I was too worried about making dumb mistakes on the actual one so maybe that made me waste more time reading passages and making sure I got the right answer. My best advice is always stick to your time plan - mine was around max 9mins/passsage but obviously its easier said then done. Classic mistake is getting too worked up about one question.. something I couldn't psychologically overcome because when I encounter a problem that I can't solve I tend to focus way too much time and effort into it... Also the new verbal is more endurance due to the additional 2 passages. Timing is key and if you buy TestingSolutions verbal material, they have a study schedule that aims to improve your timing! Although TestingSolutions verbal stuff was on a whole new level, I would recommend getting it. Unfortunately, I found out about them only 2 weeks before my MCAT so I couldn't put their schedule to use but I read it a bit and it makes sense and its better then just studying blindly.

Oh okay I'll look into UBC - thanks for the headsup. Good luck in your endeavors and feel free to ask me any more questions.

Last edited:
MCAT SCORE: 514 (91%st percentile) :clap:--> 130 (C/P), 126 (CARS LOL), 128 (Bio), 130 (P/S)

AAMC FL: 76%/81%/81%/86%

COMMENTS: So relieved right now omg. I thought I bombed CARS so I'm so happy with 126. I'm a Canadian applicant so I might be out for some schools b/c of CARS but I don't really care, just happy I somehow got over 125. And can't believe I did so well on the other 3 sections, was honestly so scared to check my scores. I spent half an hour just hovering over the "View score" button and finally mustered up the courage to check haha. Just goes to show that how you feel after the exam might not represent how you'll actually do on it.

Congrats everyone and best of luck to anyone rewriting and good luck on all of your applications! :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
Saw my MCAT score, but I couldnt post until after class. I really ****ed up.
P/C:128
CARS:122
B/B:127
P/S:125
Total:502
AAMC FL: 63%/85%/80%/88% AVG: 80%
Do you think that with a 3.86 cGPA and a 3.75sGPA, a heavy amount of research, shadowing, heavy amount of nonclinical volunteering, around 100 clinical volunteering hours, other non science E/Cs, and a strong personal statement I will get accepted into my state DO schools if I apply now? Will my CARS score weed me out of getting an interview? I haven't sent any primaries to DO schools yet, is it too late? Would I be severely disadvantaged. I also never shadowed a DO doctor, is a letter form a DO doctor a requirement? Should I even attempt some MD schools? Can I still be a doctor? Will I even make it in medical school? Should I take a year off? I'm just so confused about life.

So bummed right now.

my total score was a 504 (129/125/127/123). I can't believe I got a 123 in psyc/soc. Honestly, it should have been higher. How I got a 129 in Chem/Physics is beyond me. I was sitting at 17 minutes left with 14 questions to go.

I don't know what to do...with a 504 and a Texas residency with a 3.8 GPA (3.9-4.0 trend for last 4 semesters), would I have a chance at an MD school?

my AAMC FL was: a total of 75%. The actual percentiles I can't seem to find now because it was linked to my TPR account and I think it's expired now

:(

It's almost creepy how much we are in the same boat; similar FL scores and same actual score. You have a great GPA, so I am sure that will help! I'm strongly considering a retake, but I'm not sure with how I will time it with applying and classes. Trust me I know it is super upsetting, and everything kind of sucks right now but I feel like we are going to make it through this storm.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you think that with a 3.86 cGPA and a 3.75sGPA, a heavy amount of research, shadowing, heavy amount of nonclinical volunteering, around 100 clinical volunteering hours, other non science E/Cs, and a strong personal statement I will get accepted into my state DO schools if I apply now? Will my CARS score weed me out of getting an interview? I haven't sent any primaries to DO schools yet, is it too late? Would I be severely disadvantaged. I also never shadowed a DO doctor, is a letter form a DO doctor a requirement? Should I even attempt some MD schools? Can I still be a doctor? Will I even make it in medical school? Should I take a year off? I'm just so confused about life.

Did something go wrong during the actual test? There seems to be a huge discrepancy between your AAMC FL and actual MCAT :(

You can for sure still become a doctor but I'd recommend retaking it because it seems like you could do much better.

Did something go wrong during the actual test? There seems to be a huge discrepancy between your AAMC FL and actual MCAT :(

You can for sure still become a doctor but I'd recommend retaking it because it seems like you could do much better.
I ran out of time in CARS, but I felt normal for the most part on my other sections. It was weird because I really thought I had Psych down. I don't think I could do this again though. It was way too physically and emotionally draining. Do you think I have a chance at DOs?

MCAT score: 521 (130, 130, 131, 130)
AAMC FL: 64%, 85%, 80%, 76%
Comments: Used EK for review and only did the Next step and the AAMC FLs. Kind of followed this schedule for the first half: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...the-new-mcat-a-101-day-mcat-schedule.1125265/

So on the score report, it says 99% for 521. How is it possible only 1% of the people taking the test got higher than 521 (like 522 or 526 or each individual score between 521 and 528)?

Also with a gpa of 3.7, what kind of schools would you suggest I apply to?

I ran out of time in CARS, but I felt normal for the most part on my other sections. It was weird because I really thought I had Psych down. I don't think I could do this again though. It was way too physically and emotionally draining. Do you think I have a chance at DOs?
502 is like 26-27 on the old scale. Your GPA is on the higher end of the spectrum. I do think that you have a fair shot at DO but I'm pretty sure there are a lot more people here who can offer better advice than me.

HOW DO YOU GUYS GET THE COURAGE TO CLICK "VIEW SCORES"???????? I still haven't checked and I've been contemplating all day

Members don't see this ad :)
HOW DO YOU GUYS GET THE COURAGE TO CLICK "VIEW SCORES"???????? I still haven't checked and I've been contemplating all day
The crippling anxiety I had been facing all day was far worse than the fear of clicking;)

I hate to be that guy, but is anyone else curious what @StudyLater got after months of posting and some sassy responses to people.

middlefinger.gif

Not actually mad. I just thought, "What would @rachiie01 do?"

This might just be speculation but if you click on @StudyLater's name, it says he's on probationary status on SDN. It may be restricting him from posting and stuff.

But I hope he did well

510. Don't wanna give the full accurate breakdown, but I'll round for you:
~90th percentile on CARS and Bio.
~80th percentile CP.
~65th PS.

AAMC FL was all sections around 80% +/- 3%.

Kind of ironic about the PS though since you guys thought I'd do well.

But I'm totally psyched. I mean, now I'm an MD hopeful. That's pretty f*cking cool.

MCAT score: 513 (130/128/129/126)

AAMC FL: 84.5% (88%, 81%, 86%, 83%)

Honestly, really disappointed. Predictor estimated 515-518, expected 519 based on FL, and I felt great about all the sections except Psych. Didn't expect a 126, and thought I got at least 130 in my other three.

I'm on the border of considering a retake, but I don't think that I will. My sGPA and cGPA are ~4.0, and I have research, volunteering, EC's, etc... still, really thought I would do better. :/ I don't think I'm worried about getting in to a school next cycle, but I think I lost my shot at particular competitive/top tier med schools.

My test center started three hours late due to serious organization issues, so by the time I got to Psych, I was already mentally exhausted. I feel like it affected my scores. Life's not fair, I guess, /shrugs.

Honestly, really disappointed. Predictor estimated 515-518, expected 519 based on FL, and I felt great about all the sections except Psych. Didn't expect a 126, and thought I got at least 130 in my other three.

I'm on the border of considering a retake, but I don't think that I will. My sGPA and cGPA are ~4.0, and I have research, volunteering, EC's, etc... still, really thought I would do better. :/ I don't think I'm worried about getting in to a school next cycle, but I think I lost my shot at particular competitive/top tier med schools.

My test center started three hours late due to serious organization issues, so by the time I got to Psych, I was already mentally exhausted. I feel like it affected my scores. Life's not fair, I guess, /shrugs.

latest

Reactions: 14 users

tiniest_violin.gif

Reactions: 13 users

Literally had the exact same feelings and expectations as you after the test and then had a similar score breakdown. This thing is so random it's almost maddening

Don't hate on the people who were aiming for a high (515+) score and are disappointed they didn't get it...everyone has different circumstances. Some of us need a high score to compensate for low GPA, retakes, bad geographic location, weird school policies, ect.

Reactions: 8 users
MCAT SCORE: 525 (132/130/131/132)
AAMC FL: 86.5%
COMMENTS: I'm floored. In silent screams and wildest dreams, I never dreamed of this--and now I'm wonderstruck, dancing around all alone (recognize any of these lyrics, @StudyLater?)
I'm really surprised at my psych score, considering how burnt out I felt at the end haha. And I'd always done better/felt more confident on the bio section than the chem section. Also the people who got around my percentage on the AAMC FL were scoring around 519 so I was not expecting a score this high.
I got the same percentage on the AAMC FL and ended up with a 512. I feel like there is so much randomness. Would you retake if you were in my shoes?

Reactions: 1 user
Ok ok fine guys. As long as this applies to you, and no one else is party to this madness, then I am ok with it.

Cuz if a friend goes up to you like
"Dude check it out! Totally killed the MCAT. 508 yuppppp"
and you go
"You're an idiot that's a **** score might as well just go work retail and not waste your time."
That's just mean.

@TheaterOfTheme

nooooooo_elf.gif

I don't normally listen to Ice Cube. But when I do, I listen to "Today Was a Good Day."

Okay let me rephrase:

I acknowledge that it's not a terrible score. I'm more just coming down from expecting higher and having a sense of false confidence. It could be worse, for sure, sorry for the fuss.

Reactions: 3 users
Okay let me rephrase:

I acknowledge that it's not a terrible score. I'm more just coming down from expecting higher and having a sense of false confidence. It could be worse, for sure, sorry for the fuss.

I completely understand where you're coming from. I almost regret comparing my FL scores to other people, because I think it made me have such high expectations. I truly think that luck is such a huge factor-- especially if you're scoring in the higher percentiles (like you had been)-- every question begins to matter even more.

If a 521 is 99% percentile, how is it possible that only 1% of test takers got such a wide range from 522 to 528?

Trust me, I hovered over the "view scores" link for like half an hour until I could finally muster up the courage to check haha. As Shia LaBeouf would say, just do it!!

Ok ok fine guys. As long as this applies to you, and no one else is party to this madness, then I am ok with it.

Cuz if a friend goes up to you like
"Dude check it out! Totally killed the MCAT. 508 yuppppp"
and you go
"You're an idiot that's a **** score might as well just go work retail and not waste your time."
That's just mean.

@TheaterOfTheme

nooooooo_elf.gif
Eh, I don't think anyone feels that way, at least not on this thread. We all just want to feel like we did our best, and it sucks to have your hopes up from the FL and from your feelings after the test, and then score significantly lower. That isn't so much me as some of the others that have posted

I completely understand where you're coming from. I almost regret comparing my FL scores to other people, because I think it made me have such high expectations. I truly think that luck is such a huge factor-- especially if you're scoring in the higher percentiles (like you had been)-- every question begins to matter even more.
exactly. I'm pretty sure that at a certain point every random question you miss chops away at your score significantly...and it's just scary to feel subject to that kind of blind luck :oops:

I got the same percentage on the AAMC FL and ended up with a 512. I feel like there is so much randomness. Would you retake if you were in my shoes?

Ah that's tough...I had in mind going into the test that I would consider a retake if I got less than 515, but I know it would be difficult to guarantee that I could do much better. Maybe if I scored particularly low on one section, and I know I could really work on it and hopefully do better on the retake?

If you scored great, awesome. I am genuinely happy for you, and I know the feeling of accomplishment that you are experiencing. However, the reality is that more people are upset with their scores than happy with them. This may not appear to be the case on SDN, but generally and statistically speaking, this is the case. So whether you're reading this as a lurker without an account, or post more than @StudyLater, I feel the urge to speak up.

So, if you are unhappy: take heart. I got a 21 and a 24 on the old exam. I know what it's like to receive a 6 on a verbal section (old exam). Again: take heart. You may decide medicine is not for you. Or, you may come to a conclusion that the journey you thought you were on is taking a different route than expected. Take heart, and know that's okay. I graduated summa cum laude but the MCAT was keeping me out. It is not over, it is not a done deal, you can improve. I took the new MCAT2015 after trying to abandon my dreams of medicine, but my heart kept nagging at me to keep going. I ended up scoring in the 83rd percentile. I've mentioned it a couple times before, and I'm not doing it to toot my horn. I'm showing people that it can be done. I'm not brilliant by any means, I'm just a hard worker that had to learn how to study efficiently. I thought I was defeated, but I dug my hands a little deeper, kept my eyes on my goal, and scored competitively at 510: 127/126/129/128. I took the August 5 MCAT and am now sitting on two interview invites.

If the MCAT is a major barrier to you, take heart and know this process is forging you to become a stronger, more loving, and more compassionate doctor. You will know what it is like to have tried and failed. And, if you stick with it, you will know what it is like to have tried and overcome.

Dude, wow... Just wow, you have no idea how much that means to people like me.! :')

Reactions: 5 users
Actual: 501 (122, 126,124,129)
AAMC FL: 80%

First time taking this exam. I'm very disappointed, not sure where to go from here.
I got a 500! I'm excited to take this exam again in January. I feel like I studied for 3 months, took a month break, and now I'll be studying again for another 4 months. We can do this!

Reactions: 6 users
Damn... I plan on taking the MCAT next summer. How did you study for this beast? Did you use mcatjelly's guide or make your own? What materials? How you studied, and so forth...

Thanks for the well wishes. When I get some time I'll write a "how I scored a 526" post and let you know. Super busy rn and can't respond to these messages personally but I do want to help out the community and I will as soon as I can. Thanks

Ah that's tough...I had in mind going into the test that I would consider a retake if I got less than 515, but I know it would be difficult to guarantee that I could do much better. Maybe if I scored particularly low on one section, and I know I could really work on it and hopefully do better on the retake?
It was pretty even. 127, 128,129,128
However, C/P is usually my second highest.

Do not apply MD (unless URM or ESL). DO schools may a bit more forgiving, but a 122 is pretty low (22%, or around 5.5 on old exam). I suggest a retake with heavy emphasis on CARS.

Last edited:
MCAT SCORE: 511 (130/125/128/128)
AAMC FL: 78%
COMMENTS: Disappointed with how CARS turned out :(

Should I retake just based on CARS score? Also, are these scores preliminary or final?

Thanks in advance! Congrats to everyone who got the score he or she wanted haha!

Final scores. No, your CARS score is fine (~58% or 8.5 on old exam). You'll likely get passed any screening, and should be pretty competitive with a 511 (85%, or 31.5 on old exam).

MCAT SCORE: 504 (125/127/125/127)
AAMC FL: 79% (64/92/75/88)
COMMENTS: Predictor Narrow Band was 512-515.

Overall I feel like I should have done much better and I am very upset with my score and myself overall. I studied exclusively for this test for ~3 months and I hate the results. I am thinking about retaking and would seriously seriously appreciate all your opinions on this. If I retake I do plan on doing a full study 'cycle' focusing on my weak areas for content review and FL practice test.

Any thoughts?

Retake if MD bound (unless URM or ESL). Otherwise, a 504 is perfectly competitive for DO.

I'm sad that this thread is going to die over the next few days. It's been a good couple months with you guys

Reactions: 4 users
First time poster. Need advice
MCAT SCORE: 514 (130/127/130/127)
AAMC FL: not taken
COMMENTS:
Uneasy with SCARS and P/S. Out of the 4, which ones are the most important in order. Just hope the admission offices pay more attention the other 2. Like to apply to UT Southwestern, GPA 3.8 - 3.9 for both science and over all. Biochem major. Possible?

Does anybody know the percentage of test takers who VOID their tests? 10, 20 percent? I cannot find any information about this in the web.

This is my first post on this site so please don't bash me :nod:

Anyway I didn't score well on my MCAT and I also plan on retaking it in Jan.
My question to the high scorers and people who did better than me overall is what should I do test prep wise?
I studied for about 3.5 months, went with kaplan and completed 7 practice FLs (including AAMC) and all AAMC prep questions...
Content wise I believe i know the material and I thought I understood the test format but..:shrug:
Anyway here is a breakdown of what I got
Chem/Physic 125
CARS: 122
BIO:125
P/S: 123 ( I was very surprised with this because this was my strongest throughout my entire prep...)
Resources: Kaplan and AAMC and a few Khan videos, studied for 3.5 months(25-30 hrs a week) and did 3+ verbal passages everyday .

Once again please don't bash my post or my score, I'm just looking for some constructive criticism please!