The Official August 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vsantav

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Registration opens up sometime today so I thought I'd go ahead and make this thread. Anyone else taking it in August?

Members don't see this ad.

If you scored great, awesome. I am genuinely happy for you, and I know the feeling of accomplishment that you are experiencing. However, the reality is that more people are upset with their scores than happy with them. This may not appear to be the case on SDN, but generally and statistically speaking, this is the case. So whether you're reading this as a lurker without an account, or post more than @StudyLater, I feel the urge to speak up.

So, if you are unhappy: take heart. I got a 21 and a 24 on the old exam. I know what it's like to receive a 6 on a verbal section (old exam). Again: take heart. You may decide medicine is not for you. Or, you may come to a conclusion that the journey you thought you were on is taking a different route than expected. Take heart, and know that's okay. I graduated summa cum laude but the MCAT was keeping me out. It is not over, it is not a done deal, you can improve. I took the new MCAT2015 after trying to abandon my dreams of medicine, but my heart kept nagging at me to keep going. I ended up scoring in the 83rd percentile. I've mentioned it a couple times before, and I'm not doing it to toot my horn. I'm showing people that it can be done. I'm not brilliant by any means, I'm just a hard worker that had to learn how to study efficiently. I thought I was defeated, but I dug my hands a little deeper, kept my eyes on my goal, and scored competitively at 510: 127/126/129/128. I took the August 5 MCAT and am now sitting on two interview invites.

If the MCAT is a major barrier to you, take heart and know this process is forging you to become a stronger, more loving, and more compassionate doctor. You will know what it is like to have tried and failed. And, if you stick with it, you will know what it is like to have tried and overcome.

Thank you for posting this... I registered to take the test which is TOMORROW.......................and I dont have the heart to check my score!! Should I wait till after my test tomorrow?

Any advice from top scorers would really be appreciated ??!?!??!!?!?

So I got a 505 (127/124 :(/128/126)

I'm planning on applying next cycle in Texas and to DO schools out of state. What do you guys think about the 124 in CARS? (I just want to get some general ideas of what you guys think before I go see my pre-med advisor to get a good answer on whether I should retake or not). Also, I have a 3.65 overall gpa, a semester worth of research (just to try it out. Found out it wasn't for me), quite a bit of clinical/volunteer hours, am a philanthropy officer in my school's pre-medical society, and hope to work as an EMT during my year off.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not as high as I wanted it to be but still within the competitive range.
Total score: 508 (126/125/128/129)
AAMC FL: 63/74/80/76

Am I competitive enough for this cycle? That CARS score bring me down a bit but my scores are all pretty well-rounded. Does anyone think I'd have a legitimate chance at any Canadian schools?

MCAT SCORE: 509 (128/125/129/127)
AAMC FL: 89% (88/92/90/86)
COMMENTS: Excel predictor was 520.

Kinda confused, and kinda disappointed with my score right now. I thought I'd do better considering I did pretty well on the AAMC FL, but I guess that FL must have played to my strengths and the actual MCAT played to my weaknesses? Does anyone else have a better explanation for this? I felt like I did well on CARS and Bio/biochem, and not that well on C/P and okay on P/S. And I know the excel predictor isn't really accurate but I defs wasn't expecting less than a 510. Any suggestions on when I should rewrite? (I'm in third year right now)

MCAT SCORE: 509 (128/125/129/127)
AAMC FL: 89% (88/92/90/86)
COMMENTS: Excel predictor was 520.

Kinda confused, and kinda disappointed with my score right now. I thought I'd do better considering I did pretty well on the AAMC FL, but I guess that FL must have played to my strengths and the actual MCAT played to my weaknesses? Does anyone else have a better explanation for this? I felt like I did well on CARS and Bio/biochem, and not that well on C/P and okay on P/S. And I know the excel predictor isn't really accurate but I defs wasn't expecting less than a 510. Any suggestions on when I should rewrite? (I'm in third year right now)

Oh my god... this is what scares me the most.

Have you taken the official guide as well? Or any other practice tests? Did you take the AAMC FL in one setting under test condition? Did you feel terrible when taking the actual MCAT?

So bummed right now.

my total score was a 504 (129/125/127/123). I can't believe I got a 123 in psyc/soc. Honestly, it should have been higher. How I got a 129 in Chem/Physics is beyond me. I was sitting at 17 minutes left with 14 questions to go.

I don't know what to do...with a 504 and a Texas residency with a 3.8 GPA (3.9-4.0 trend for last 4 semesters), would I have a chance at an MD school?

my AAMC FL was: a total of 75%. The actual percentiles I can't seem to find now because it was linked to my TPR account and I think it's expired now

:(

MCAT SCORE: 526 (132/131/132/131)
AAMC FL: 89.5% (took one month before test)
COMMENTS: #blessed... congrats to all and best wishes moving forward

Reactions: 1 user
Oh my god... this is what scares me the most.

Have you taken the official guide as well? Or any other practice tests? Did you take the AAMC FL in one setting under test condition? Did you feel terrible when taking the actual MCAT?

I didn't feel bad or good after the test, it was kind of like a "meh" feeling. I did 8 Kaplan FLs and pretty much all of the AAMC practice, can't remember how I did in the rest of the AAMC practice but not too bad. And yeah I did the AAMC FL in one sitting under test conditions, except it was in a quiet room and I was alone but I don't think that made much of a diff for me.

So how did you end up doing?

I can let you know when I find out on Oct 13th

I didn't feel bad or good after the test, it was kind of like a "meh" feeling. I did 8 Kaplan FLs and pretty much all of the AAMC practice, can't remember how I did in the rest of the AAMC practice but not too bad. And yeah I did the AAMC FL in one sitting under test conditions, except it was in a quiet room and I was alone but I don't think that made much of a diff for me.

Honestly I don't know what to say. I'm puzzled. Hopefully others can chime in and offer suggestions

Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT SCORE: 525 (132/130/131/132)
AAMC FL: 86.5%
COMMENTS: I'm floored. In silent screams and wildest dreams, I never dreamed of this--and now I'm wonderstruck, dancing around all alone (recognize any of these lyrics, @StudyLater?)
I'm really surprised at my psych score, considering how burnt out I felt at the end haha. And I'd always done better/felt more confident on the bio section than the chem section. Also the people who got around my percentage on the AAMC FL were scoring around 519 so I was not expecting a score this high.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys - first time posting, not sure if I'm doing this right. Just searching for a little advice atm!
I'm a Canadian applicant completing my MSc at McMaster and waaaaas hoping on applying this round to med schools in Ontario. Not sure what to do with these scores though.
MCAT SCORE: 511(127/125/129/130) -->had a lovely panic attack during CARS and botched the whole last passage :( :( :(
AAMC FL: 82.25% (75/85/83/86)
I have a GPA of 3.9, significant research (2 publications), volunteer and shadowing experience, and I'll be finished my masters next June.
I was previously banking on Mac, but CARS **** on me so I'm thinking that's out of the question.
Anyone here have any suggestions in terms of retake/apply?

So bummed right now.

my total score was a 504 (129/125/127/123). I can't believe I got a 123 in psyc/soc. Honestly, it should have been higher. How I got a 129 in Chem/Physics is beyond me. I was sitting at 17 minutes left with 14 questions to go.

I don't know what to do...with a 504 and a Texas residency with a 3.8 GPA (3.9-4.0 trend for last 4 semesters), would I have a chance at an MD school?

my AAMC FL was: a total of 75%. The actual percentiles I can't seem to find now because it was linked to my TPR account and I think it's expired now

:(

Don't get down on yourself. Your C/P and B/B were fantastic. I don't see you having too much trouble with DOs and being a Texas resident should help, but you might face some difficulty - if anything, CARS and P/S are the easier sections to get better at for a retake!

Hey guys - first time posting, not sure if I'm doing this right. Just searching for a little advice atm!
I'm a Canadian applicant completing my MSc at McMaster and waaaaas hoping on applying this round to med schools in Ontario. Not sure what to do with these scores though.
MCAT SCORE: 511(127/125/129/130) -->had a lovely panic attack during CARS and botched the whole last passage :( :( :(
I have a GPA of 3.9, significant research (2 publications), volunteer and shadowing experience, and I'll be finished my masters next June.
I was previously banking on Mac, but CARS **** on me so I'm thinking that's out of the question.

Apply. 3.9 and a >31 is highly competitive.

Believe me, I feel your pain.

Apply to UofT definitely but also give McMaster a try (although very tough to get an interview with that score). I'd retake if this is your first time.

McGill + UBC (already passed the deadline) + Ottawa as well.

Your out for Queens, Western, and OOP schools unfortunately

Good luck

Early august test taker here - congrats to everyone! @Resilient. I'm so sorry you're disappointed. I definitely know how you feel - the excel predictor thing predicted ~515-516 for me and I ended up with a 508. I think there is a lot of sampling bias unfortunately because people who are happy with their score or did better than expected are the same people who are posting things like "OMG I'm so happy the predictor was spot on!!!!!". However, I feel like people who are sad about their scores are wayyy less likely to post. I also felt pretty neutral/ok during the test (maybe being nervous messed me up somehow?) and was surprised when I got my actual score given how I had been doing on the AAMC FL (~84%) and other practice tests.

I know my score isn't great but I have already submitted all of my apps for this cycle so we will see what happens! Hoping my GPA and interesting nontrad ECs will make up for it, and just trying to hope for the best. Best of luck to you and everyone else who isn't fully happy with their current score.

Agreed about sampling bias. 30 doesn't necessarily have to be "made up for" by the rest of your app - I think if the rest of your app is solid and well-rounded then you should get some interviews. Congrats on the score!

Agreed about sampling bias. 30 doesn't necessarily have to be "made up for" by the rest of your app - I think if the rest of your app is solid and well-rounded then you should get some interviews. Congrats on the score!

thanks so much - you too!! best of luck.

Hey first time poster
So i got a total of 510
128 C/P
128 CARS
128 Bio
126 Psych

Not too sure if this is good enough for a med school in Canada? I don't really know too much about what is acceptable and what is not.

Hey first time poster
So i got a total of 510
128 C/P
128 CARS
128 Bio
126 Psych

Not too sure if this is good enough for a med school in Canada? I don't really know too much about what is acceptable and what is not.

Beautiful score for Canada!! If your GPA is high, apply everywhere.

Well done. Do you mind sharing your score % on the AAMC full length test? :)

Beautiful score for Canada!! If your GPA is high, apply everywhere.

Well done. Do you mind sharing your score % on the AAMC full length test? :)

Thank you! On the AAMC FL i got
72% CARS
82% Bio
85% C/P
75% Psych.
CARS was kind of weird because I was receiving very high marks on the section in other practice tests i was doing.

Early august test taker here - congrats to everyone! @Resilient. I'm so sorry you're disappointed. I definitely know how you feel - the excel predictor thing predicted ~515-516 for me and I ended up with a 508. I think there is a lot of sampling bias unfortunately because people who are happy with their score or did better than expected are the same people who are posting things like "OMG I'm so happy the predictor was spot on!!!!!". However, I feel like people who are sad about their scores are wayyy less likely to post. I also felt pretty neutral/ok during the test (maybe being nervous messed me up somehow?) and was surprised when I got my actual score given how I had been doing on the AAMC FL (~84%) and other practice tests.

I know my score isn't great but I have already submitted all of my apps for this cycle so we will see what happens! Hoping my GPA and interesting nontrad ECs will make up for it, and just trying to hope for the best. Best of luck to you and everyone else who isn't fully happy with their current score.

Thanks for your post, it defs makes me feel a bit better. I'm just gonna study like cray for the next time I write and hope for the best. I'm from Ontario so I really do need a higher MCAT score to be competitive. I hope you get some interviews though! If you don't get in this year do you think you'll rewrite? Btw I'm also hoping my nontrad ECs will set me apart from the rest haha

C/P: 125
CARS: 127
Bio: 127
Psych: 131
Overall: 510
AAMC: 79.5% overall C/P: 68%, CARS: 91%, Bio: 80%, Psych: 81%

I'm surprised about the psych section. I thought there was a good amount I missed.
This is my third MCAT with my other scores being a 29 and a 28. So I guess overall this is some improvement?

Reactions: 1 users
I'm super on the fence about retaking. on one hand I know I am capable of doing significantly better but at the same time I'm worried that I will somehow end up doing the same/worse because I feel that I prepared as much as I could. My current plan is if it looks like I'm not going to get in anywhere by February, I'm going to start prepping again for a May retake so I can hopefully apply again with a better score. Either way, I'm going to try to work on the anxiety I have surrounding standardized tests because it is clearly holding me back, and I have never had trouble with tests in school, content, etc. Basically hoping a retake doesn't have to happen haha

You really don't want to go anywhere but up, so make sure you have the time, money, mental and physical capacity, etc. for a retake. Most important thing is to be honest with yourself. But I would apply with your score/app if I was you. Once you meet a school's standard for "competitive," there is somewhat of a crap-shoot quality to the app process. I'm sure there are several schools out there where you'd be a great fit.

Hi everyone. First time poster here, so sorry if I'm doing this wrong!

MCAT total score: 508 (126/125/128/129)

I know my CARS score is very low but I don't want to just give up on this application cycle, especially after putting so much work into my application :( I was pretty good with CARS during my studying so I don't quite know how I faltered so much. As a Canadian applicant, do I stand a chance at getting in anywhere? Any input is appreciated!

Hi everyone. First time poster here, so sorry if I'm doing this wrong!

MCAT total score: 508 (126/125/128/129)

I know my CARS score is very low but I don't want to just give up on this application cycle, especially after putting so much work into my application :( I was pretty good with CARS during my studying so I don't quite know how I faltered so much. As a Canadian applicant, do I stand a chance at getting in anywhere? Any input is appreciated!

Liiiiterally in the exact same boat as you, so you can take comfort in the fact that you're not alone! (I got 511 (127/125/129/130))
I was originally planning on Mac, UofT, Western, and Queens, but I think I'm going to nix Western and Queens on the basis of my C/P and CARS scores (though I hate that they don't post their minimums and so I have no clue what I'm competing with). With Mac I'm just hoping for a miracle, and UofT I think I might have somewhat of a shot. Same goes for you - if you're comfortable with your GPA and have some good research under your belt, I think UofT would definitely worth a shot! I didn't take Biochem or Orgo, so the other ON schools are a no-go for me. But if you do have these pre-reqs, I'd say go for Ottawa as well!

*First time poster*
MCAT SCORE: 512 (130/128/125/129) 87th percentile
AAMC FL: 68%/79%/82%/80%
COMMENTS: Relieved but not sure about Bio/Biochem section. I knew that this would be my worst after taking the actual exam, however during my prep full lengths (Kaplan) and the AAMC practice, this was often my best section. So is this section bad enough that I should think about retaking? I have never taken Biochem and am planning on taking it next semester, so this is probably the reason why I didn't do as well..but will I be screened out applying to Med School? Any help is more than appreciated!

MCAT SCORE: 526 (132/131/132/131)
AAMC FL: 89.5% (took one month before test)
COMMENTS: #blessed... congrats to all and best wishes moving forward
Damn... I plan on taking the MCAT next summer. How did you study for this beast? Did you use mcatjelly's guide or make your own? What materials? How you studied, and so forth...

Could someone help me out?

I took the old MCAT in january and took the new one in august. here are my scores: 502 (127/121/127/127)

what should I do?? I really don't want to have to retake this especially since I'm applying this year... so i can't even retake it :(

*First time poster*
MCAT SCORE: 512 (130/128/125/129) 87th percentile
AAMC FL: 68%/79%/82%/80%
COMMENTS: Relieved but not sure about Bio/Biochem section. I knew that this would be my worst after taking the actual exam, however during my prep full lengths (Kaplan) and the AAMC practice, this was often my best section. So is this section bad enough that I should think about retaking? I have never taken Biochem and am planning on taking it next semester, so this is probably the reason why I didn't do as well..but will I be screened out applying to Med School? Any help is more than appreciated!
I am in a similar position with the biochem/bio being my low outlier. I would focus on other parts of your app and forget about the MCAT until a interviewer tells you your bio/biochem score is too low (and once again, I am no way qualified to give the advice I just gave)

Last edited:
Could someone help me out?

I took the old MCAT in january and took the new one in august. here are my scores: 502 (127/121/127/127)

what should I do?? I really don't want to have to retake this especially since I'm applying this year... so i can't even retake it :(

You might be alright for DO. 121 is very low, unfortunate because you did great in the other sections. My worry is that the 121 might get screened out. What was your January Verbal?

Highest Kaplan Scores:
C/P: 126
CARS: 125
B/B: 125
P/S: 127
Overall: 503
AAMC FL:
C/P: 56%
CARS: 75%
B/B: 69%
P/S: 73%
Overall: ?
Excel Prediction:
B/B: 127
P/S: 128
Overall: 508 - 510
Actual MCAT:
CARS: 124
B/B: 124
P/S: 125
Overall: 498

You might be alright for DO. 121 is very low, unfortunate because you did great in the other sections. My worry is that the 121 might get screened out. What was your January Verbal?

i knew i did bad in CARS but wasn't expecting a grade that low especially since i was doing so well on the aamc practice material :(

and i received a 7/15 in january for CARS but did fairly better in the other sections: Physics: 6 Verbal: 7 Bio: 10

MCAT SCORE: 514 (128/127/129/130)
AAMC FL: Honestly can't remember lol
Comments: Higher score than I thought I would get honestly get, so relieved!

Highest Kaplan Scores:
B/B: 125
P/S: 127
Overall: 503
AAMC FL:
C/P: 56%
CARS: 75%
B/B: 69%
P/S: 73%
Overall: ?
Excel Prediction:
B/B: 127
P/S: 128
Overall: 508 - 510
Actual MCAT:
CARS: 124
B/B: 124
P/S: 125
Overall: 498

No one is daring to post low score!...

Anyone got an email from schools saying this .... is the lowest score to apply?

MCAT SCORE: 525 (132/130/131/132)
AAMC FL: 86.5%
COMMENTS: I'm floored. In silent screams and wildest dreams, I never dreamed of this--and now I'm wonderstruck, dancing around all alone (recognize any of these lyrics, @StudyLater?)
I'm really surprised at my psych score, considering how burnt out I felt at the end haha. And I'd always done better/felt more confident on the bio section than the chem section. Also the people who got around my percentage on the AAMC FL were scoring around 519 so I was not expecting a score this high.
That's awesome TayTay:love:
That was flawless, really something, if you know what I mean

MCAT SCORE: 515 (131/126/129/129)
AAMC FL: 80% 73% 83% 68%
Comments: Are my scores too unevenly distributed? Oh well, not aiming for any top school anyway...

Oh man. The tears.

Overall - 518 (97%)

C/P - 131 (99%)
CARS - 126 (70%)
B/B - 130 (97%)
P/S - 131 (98%)

Just goes to show that your feelings after the exam aren't reflective of your actual scores. I thought I bombed C/P and did pretty well on CARS. Congrats to all test takers.

Got the same exact score and breakdown.

MCAT SCORE: 518 (131/126/130/131) 97th percentile :soexcited::D
AAMC FL: 80%/87%/78%/83%
COMMENTS: Damn CARS but I'm ecstatic regardless. I was scoring around 127 for AAMC practice tests but I ran out of time on the real thing and had to guess on a few which probably brought my score down. I was so close to voiding but after one point you just have to trust yourself and trust that you gave it your all. Post test-feelings were okay for the rest of the sections, I felt okay but didn't think I did that great. Clearly feelings aren't accurate. My AAMC predictor gave me a narrow range of 513-517 so the predictor gave my my worst case scenario. I'm so happy right now because I gave it my all in the summer and it's nice to see hard work truly pay off. Thank you for everyone on here for all the help and support. You guys are all amazing. Even if you didn't get the score you wanted, know that this isn't the end of the world. Get out of the slump and just work even harder. Your hard work will pay off. Trust me.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me!

MCAT SCORE: 515 (128/127/128/132)
AAMC FL: 80% 77/85/78/81)
COMMENTS: Predictor Narrow Band was 512-516.

Since I'm applying in Canada, I wish my CARS was about 2 points higher...

That's awesome TayTay:love:
That was flawless, really something, if you know what I mean
One of my fave TS songs there Pusheen :)

I absolutely love that song! I first discovered it when I was in eighth grade and I literally listened to that song, and only that song, for a few months straight. I'm a freak oops (and haven't done that with any of her songs since haha)

Reactions: 1 users
MCAT score: 513 (129/124/129/131)

AAMC FL: 84% 85% 87% 79%
Kaplan test (most recent): 504 128/125/124/127 (After the point adjustements)
Princeton test (most recent 499 125/125/124/125)
EK test 1: 63%/74%/65%/60%
Ek test 4: 75%/53%/61%/66% (both EK done within a week of my actual MCAT)

Comments: this is my third time taking and I improved in everything - yes even CARS.. but obviously not the big improvement that I was looking for in verbal. If this was my first test I would retake but its my 3rd so I'm kinda on the fence right now... I think I am going to try to apply to mid - low tier U.S schools and hope for a miracle. Most canadian are out of the question I guess - maybe univeristy of toronto (would doing a Master's help?)

I would say the AAMC FL is an accurate indicator for the sciences and most representative as well - Definitely not for verbal since the actual MCAT passages were MUCH longer and the questions were a bit harder.
Kaplan and Princeton are good for the sciences and their psychology sections were helpful. My MCAT had a lot of just pure chem/phys and even organic chemistry passages however which is not at all like the kaplan and princeton chem/phys.
EK is just wtf for the sciences espically biology and the verbal is pretty hard for EK as well. Overall i expected my verbal to 124-126 range so no surprises I guess but this year I felt more rushed even with the extra time for some reason..

I would say if you can consistently score around 505 for princeton and kaplan you have a good chance. And for EK a pretty good score is 70% and above since their tests involves a lot of critical thinking.

If anyone knows of U.S schools that looks more at overall and not too much on verbal I would really appreciate the heads up. Thanks.