The Official August 21, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LLawliet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome
For those of you who plan on using the SN2ed study schedule, you should be finishing up on gathering prep materials and getting ready to start around mid May.
Who else is with me?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
are they ever more specific than top half, top quarter, bottom half, bottom quarter? Someone told me they supposedly scored in the top 10% for the psych/soc section, but i think she's full of crap lol.

are they ever more specific than top half, top quarter, bottom half, bottom quarter? Someone told me they supposedly scored in the top 10% for the psych/soc section, but i think she's full of crap lol.

I scored a 78% on the biochem trial section, and seeing as 53% is good enough for top quarter, I don't think they give you percentiles past the quarter divisions. Your friend is probably full of crap

Members don't see this ad :)
I scored a 78% on the biochem trial section, and seeing as 53% is good enough for top quarter, I don't think they give you percentiles past the quarter divisions. Your friend is probably full of crap
Hah thanks for corroborating my hunch. I wish AAMC would be a bit more specific about where we ended up. Top quarter tells me nothing. Equating that to an MCAT score is like saying "you're anywhere between a 30-45."

75% on biochem. Pretty surprised at my score seeing as how I was so tired at that point of the exam that I had to read multiple questions 3-4 times. I wonder what I should buy with my 30 bucks.

In fairness, I think they want to keep the distribution kind of hidden because it could be a decent indicator of how much of the mcat can be inferred just by reading the passages closely

47% here too sociology/psychology version although mine also had a bit of biochem and strangely enough some communication theory stuff.

I decided I was just too mentally drained after my test to take the trial section. But now I want a gift card! :( Hopefully I find out on Tuesday that this is the biggest mistake I made on test day...

Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh I just got the dreaded official guide to the MCAT email discount haha. No I don't wanna hear about it AAMC I wanna get my score and be done with it.

Do you guys know how the scores will show up, will you log in and bam, theres your score or do you log in and open another tab and then your score shows up?

Ugh I just got the dreaded official guide to the MCAT email discount haha. No I don't wanna hear about it AAMC I wanna get my score and be done with it.

Hahaha I just got that too. It woke me up from a nap and my first sleepy thought was "MCAT scores!" But no...

Did any of you guys register for any of the January exams? Specifically in the NYC/NJ area? I'm hoping you guys did well so you can cancel your reservations so I can get one :laugh:

The wait is soon coming to an end... Let's hope we all score what we need!!! I think I will be sliding my hand, uncovering the screen to see my scores :unsure:

My anxiety about these scores is out of control. I can't get any schoolwork done...

Same. I have a midterm on Wednesday and I have no idea how I'm going to study for it lol... the only reason why I'm not panicking is because it's pass/fail

Same. I have a midterm on Wednesday and I have no idea how I'm going to study for it lol... the only reason why I'm not panicking is because it's pass/fail
I have a midterm on the day of score release at 5:30pm! I don't know if I should look before or after it. I'm leaning towards looking afterwards.

I'm taking the TPR Ultimate Classroom Course but I'm mostly going to follow SN2ed's schedule. I'm taking the course as a back-up just so that I can get help with difficult concepts or sections, but I've heard from my friends who took the course that it's mostly about studying on your own. Class starts in June but I'm going to start SN2's schedule on Wednesday.

Dude, tbh, I didn't like TPR Ultimate Classroom Course. I really think that Kaplan is the way to go, bro! :)

I'm not really worried about my score, but more dreading having to study and retake the test. I feel like I either got a 40 or a 25. Weird feeling.

Last edited:
I have one exam in the morning and one exam in the evening.. I'm doing alright studying for them now. But I'm going to try not to look at my score until after the tests are over. Even though I know I'm gonna be crazy distracted while I'm taking them...

I got top quarter on the psychology/social sciences section I took. Honestly, I read about two passages and just randomly clicked the rest slowly. I feel bad because I'd actually like to contribute to what the future test is like, but when you're already worn out from taking the current one it's difficult... Here's to the $30. Lol. As far as the score my friend said he got his exactly 30 days after his test date. The AAMC says 30-35 days, but I have a feeling if they're not there today they will be there tomorrow. No one seems to like to do things on Sunday.

I got top quarter on the psychology/social sciences section I took. Honestly, I read about two passages and just randomly clicked the rest slowly. I feel bad because I'd actually like to contribute to what the future test is like, but when you're already worn out from taking the current one it's difficult... Here's to the $30. Lol. As far as the score my friend said he got his exactly 30 days after his test date. The AAMC says 30-35 days, but I have a feeling if they're not there today they will be there tomorrow. No one seems to like to do things on Sunday.

The scores are being released on Tuesday.

I heard people that took the test on 8/15/2014 got shafted by the "curve/scale." Do you guys think that we'll get screwed by some ridiculous "curve/scale" too? That darth vader passage was a son of a ***** and I feel like some of the questions are going to get dropped. Also, I actually thought verbal was much easier than the AAMC's that I took. This could be a good or bad sign... I was averaging about 34 on my practice tests.

I heard people that took the test on 8/15/2014 got shafted by the "curve/scale." Do you guys think that we'll get screwed by some ridiculous "curve/scale" too? That darth vader passage was a son of a ***** and I feel like some of the questions are going to get dropped. Also, I actually thought verbal was much easier than the AAMC's that I took. This could be a good or bad sign... I was averaging about 34 on my practice tests.

Literally same story. I guess we'll see tomorrow!

Who knows what the AAMC will do... lol. We could get a glorious curve or just as easily get a horrible one. I do have a feeling like there will be a nice curve for PS but VR/BS curves will probably be similar to the AAMCs if I had to guess

Is there anyone else here who feels like they got like 5 BS discretes wrong? I'm legitimately terrified now

I think people must get different passages on the same day, because my verbal was almost indecipherable.

Hey guys, in the midst of the same panic attack to which everyone here can attest, I chanced upon and read up on this thread. Wish I could have known this earlier to share the same pain, relief, anxiety, assurance, etc..
To share my experience on this exam two(!) days before the results are out, PS and VR were actually on the more smooth side for me. I predict to have made few more errors on the BS than PS.. For VR, I was lucky to have been able to correct my answers (I usually don't change my answers) for several inference questions that included likely choices along with the best answer. There definitely was a passage or two that I spent more time thinking than others. My AAMC average was never too high, around 32-34 except for the one-time 37, but I felt that my control over the exam was the best on this actual one. It's just a feeling, however, and may or may not correlate with the result of the exam. I am scared as heck.. Good luck to the next two unproductive, teeth-chattering days..

Is there anyone else here who feels like they got like 5 BS discretes wrong? I'm legitimately terrified now

Yeah I'm with you on this one. I've literally remembered at least 4-5 easy ones I missed since the exam till now. It's a shame because BS overall seems like it'll have an AAMC practice test curve.

Yeah I'm with you on this one. I've literally remembered at least 4-5 easy ones I missed since the exam till now. It's a shame because BS overall seems like it'll have an AAMC practice test curve.

Looking at the AAMC 11 curve, you could still get a 12 if you got as many as 8 questions wrong, hopefully it's similar to that...the only difference is that there are experimental questions that are thrown out so I have no idea how it's adjusted

This is super off topic but one of the MCAT VR passages was written by one of my favorite authors and I was dying of happiness when I saw it.

Looking at the AAMC 11 curve, you could still get a 12 if you got as many as 8 questions wrong, hopefully it's similar to that...the only difference is that there are experimental questions that are thrown out so I have no idea how it's adjusted

That's another thing too. After taking those experimental questions out the curve might end up being harsher. But honestly there's no way of knowing for sure. This anticipation is starting to screw with me.

I'm not sure how it's adjusted, but that's why I'd like it if some of my incorrects are from the experimental passage. Whether they take the questions out or count them as given points, it would ultimately make no difference. I recall three incorrects from one passage alone. Unfortunately, I don't think that passage is experimental although it seemed to involve a mix of PS and BS.. Sharkbyte, I also recall at least three incorrect discretes.