The Official June 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abraxas305

Bark Bark
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So we can talk about all things MCAT 2015.
Just registered too!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, does anyone know if we have to finish the AAMC question bundle in one sitting to review the answers? Or can we take it a couple passages at a time?

When you are about to start the test, just turn on the solutions and you can check answers as you go.

Man, the only thing I'm focusing on right now is the MCAT. Then again, I have to get my App together to send it in after. What a pain. I haven't even written my PS or got my LOR's yet.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Who else thought the Physics section III questions are pretty difficult? I was at a 12 for the first two sections but I got like a 15/25 on the review questions for section 3. Gonna post-game these then attempt the 7 passage review after and see what I get...

Hi All, June 20th in Baton Rouge.

EK 2015 Books
NS Cars
NS Practice Tests
AAMC Practice Test
AAMC Practice Questions

Supplemental:

TPR Science Workbook
EK 1001 Questions (Physics and Chem)

Hey Y'all,

June 19th in Glen Allen, VA. Was supposed to be a May test taker, no spots, and don't feel like rushing into April. So I guess extra test time it is!

While I am nervous this will adversely affect my cycle b/c it'll make me ~1 month behind first submitters, I think it's worth it to get a good score.

Tryna decide between NS or TPR For Social/Psych...any references? Never taken a social/pysch class before.

Man, the only thing I'm focusing on right now is the MCAT. Then again, I have to get my App together to send it in after. What a pain. I haven't even written my PS or got my LOR's yet.

I haven't written my PS, but my former university's PPAC is having a PS workshop on the 26th, and I've already signed up to attend. I hope it's going to be helpful. Haha. I've not gotten any LORs yet, either. But there's still time for that. Right now, I'm planning to try to squeeze in some shadowing in the spring (I have none).

So I ended up purchasing NS psych/soc strategy and practice book and it came today. Flipping through it, it seems like a great resource. There are some SUPER long passages without any figures, some relatively short passages with graphs and charts. It is broken up into 4 sections, each section has 9 passages and 59 questions. After each passage, there is a page explaining the passage and the answers follow.

In the appendices there is a self-study outline and a self-study glossary that could be useful. Also in the beginning of the book, there is an outline that includes concepts and topics to be covered on the psych section and soc section on the MCAT so that's pretty helpful as well.

So 36 passages for ~$35. I would consider purchasing if you guys are looking for extra practice in these sections.

^ Sold. Even though I'm not a fan of their content review. The CARS book has been great practice so far and I really do need Psych/Socio practice other than Khan academy passages, which I am saving for the end of my content review.

Reactions: 2 users
^ Sold. Even though I'm not a fan of their content review. The CARS book has been great practice so far and I really do need Psych/Socio practice other than Khan academy passages, which I am saving for the end of my content review.

Does the NS CARS book compare to the style and type of questions from old mcat VR sections?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does the NS CARS book compare to the style and type of questions from old mcat VR sections?
I did all of the CARS questions in the Official Guide to the MCAT, and to me, yes, they were pretty much just like the old VR questions.

I'm doing a modified NS schedule (see attached). I will be studying more than 100 days so I spread some stuff out and I am using Kaplan instead of EK. I like it because it incorporates the Khan Academy videos.

Edit: here is the link that explains the schedule.
Thank you!

Has anyone started on any TBR physics passages? It's overwhelming to me. Is it harder than the standard AAMC or is it just me being weak on the concept review?

I'm doing a modified NS schedule (see attached). I will be studying more than 100 days so I spread some stuff out and I am using Kaplan instead of EK. I like it because it incorporates the Khan Academy videos.

Edit: here is the link that explains the schedule.
I'm using old TBR and EK

Has anyone started on any TBR physics passages? It's overwhelming to me. Is it harder than the standard AAMC or is it just me being weak on the concept review?
Don't listen to anyone who says the "TBR is much harder; this or that." Most of the people who have sat the exam already will tell you that the real exam is of similar difficulty, just presented in a different way.

welp... it looks like ill be taking the new MCAT :(. i'm just so lost on how to start studying for this test since there are not of practice materials for the new sections.

welp... it looks like ill be taking the new MCAT :(. i'm just so lost on how to start studying for this test since there are not of practice materials for the new sections.

A good place to start would be the AAMC question packs. You can get all of them for $72, or purchase them individually. But there is no so-called social sciences question pack for whatever reason. You can purchase the 120 questions from the Official Guide to the MCAT for $10. These cover all of the sections of the MCAT. And an official practice test is $25, but it's not able to give you a score at this time, but it will tell you what you got right/wrong, so it can be good for making sure you know the material. Btw, each of these things can only be accessed a total of 20 times.

Here's a free biochemistry book offered from OSU especially for premeds: http://biochem.science.oregonstate.edu/biochemistry-free-and-easy

They have some neat aspects included with the book to help make biochemistry fun and engaging. While you may not use it as you primary source, it may help you with grasp the more difficult concepts. Happy Studying! :)

Here's a free biochemistry book offered from OSU especially for premeds: http://biochem.science.oregonstate.edu/biochemistry-free-and-easy

They have some neat aspects included with the book to help make biochemistry fun and engaging. While you may not use it as you primary source, it may help you with grasp the more difficult concepts. Happy Studying! :)

I think I mentioned him earlier in the thread, but in case I didnt, this prof, Kevin Ahern has his entire biochem class on youtube. Actually. he has several of them. I highly recommend them.

Wow, I've only been studying for a week and having no science background is making me think twice about rewriting now that the science section is even harder. Strongly leaning towards just keeping my 11VR and just canceling my MCAT but I'll see how I'm scoring on CARS in mid May.

Wow, I've only been studying for a week and having no science background is making me think twice about rewriting now that the science section is even harder. Strongly leaning towards just keeping my 11VR and just canceling my MCAT but I'll see how I'm scoring on CARS in mid May.
I think CARS is pretty similar to old VR. Also...I think the sciences are actually easier. More bio based.

I think CARS is pretty similar to old VR. Also...I think the sciences are actually easier. More bio based.

Old MCAT I was scoring 6-8 on VR and got 11 on the actual test + I live in Canada where 2 of the schools I will apply to don't need the MCAT and the other 2 just look at VR/CARS. I'm looking to get 12+ on CARS (preferably 14+ equivalent) and anything less than 11 is a dreamkiller. If I don't consistently score 13+ in May then its probably best to cancel it right?

Ugggghhh Haven't been studying efficiently this week due to some classes. I'm on Ch 3's on the TBR's right now and finishing the Phase I and II passages while supplementing with EK 1001 for PS stuff.

Ugggghhh Haven't been studying efficiently this week due to some classes. I'm on Ch 3's on the TBR's right now and finishing the Phase I and II passages while supplementing with EK 1001 for PS stuff.

Be careful to allocate your time appropriately. I think I saw something where out of the 230 questions, physics accounts for only 15 or so. Check these links, not sure if they are accurate though....http://nextsteptestprep.com/2014/08/25/2015-mcat-question-content-infographic/

http://nextsteptestprep.com/2014/08/21/what-you-actually-need-to-study-for-the-new-mcat/

Last edited:

Took me a minute to realize that's "Oregon State". I know OSU as Ohio State. If you've had a good biology course, you've likely had most of the biochem you need. But if you can't afford prep material, this may be helpful.

How does everyone feel about taking full length tests? I try to take them at 8 AM as much as possible...but sometimes my schedule gets in the way and I end up taking the test from like 1 pm - 8 pm or something like that. I don't think it's not that big of a deal because I'm an early bird, but still, wish I could do it at the right time!

How does everyone feel about taking full length tests? I try to take them at 8 AM as much as possible...but sometimes my schedule gets in the way and I end up taking the test from like 1 pm - 8 pm or something like that. I don't think it's not that big of a deal because I'm an early bird, but still, wish I could do it at the right time!
Dang are you already through content review ?

bumpbumpbump
Ughhh work is killing my study time

I honestly can't believe you are studying already. Content-dumping is a real thing, but I guess we all know how best to study for ourselves. I begin a Kaplan class at the end of this month, and next week I'm going to start going through the Khan videos as prep for the class.

My anatomy class has been taking up all of my time. 3 exams in the past 2 weeks. Barely even made a dent in content review. I have no clue how people are already taking FLs!

i wonder what the percentage is of people who take the exam one time and get in with that score.

I honestly can't believe you are studying already. Content-dumping is a real thing, but I guess we all know how best to study for ourselves. I begin a Kaplan class at the end of this month, and next week I'm going to start going through the Khan videos as prep for the class.
Well I'm taking 2 classes and I work part-time so I had to start a bit earlier. I planned to finish my content review in the middle of next month to give myself ~2 months of practice testing.

I'm currently registered for June 20th MCAT. I am also registered for 2nd Quarter Ochem and 1st Quarter physics for the 10 weeks leading up to the test (quarter ends June 12) (8 quarter units total). I work 2-12 hours shifts (24h) on the weekends. I am also registered for Kaplan on site that ends the day before the test.

I've had a "2 birds 1 stone" mentality about taking the pre-reqs and studying MCAT at the same time, but now I'm starting to realize that the class time might be pretty low yield because of how little those subjects may appear on the MCAT.

Do you guys/gals think I should keep both classes or think about dropping one of them (ochem 2) to spend that time self studying?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

No, I would not drop a pre-req class. Did you register for another non-pre req class?
I just don't see how you can explain dropping a pre-req to study for the MCAT when you needed to have taken it anyway.
The "2 birds 1 stone" deal is actually a good idea.

Anyone skipping the entirety of momentum? I'm still doing torque since it is listed but I mean that topic is entirely omitted so I do not see the reason why I should spend time on it when I could be doing my Psych/Socio nahmsayn?

I'm currently registered for June 20th MCAT. I am also registered for 2nd Quarter Ochem and 1st Quarter physics for the 10 weeks leading up to the test (quarter ends June 12) (8 quarter units total). I work 2-12 hours shifts (24h) on the weekends. I am also registered for Kaplan on site that ends the day before the test.

I've had a "2 birds 1 stone" mentality about taking the pre-reqs and studying MCAT at the same time, but now I'm starting to realize that the class time might be pretty low yield because of how little those subjects may appear on the MCAT.

Do you guys/gals think I should keep both classes or think about dropping one of them (ochem 2) to spend that time self studying?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
I am in almost the same boat as you.
I have three classes, two of which are Biochem and Orgo II, and I work all weekend long (24 hrs)

I wouldn't drop them. My plan is to start studying in a little over a week, doing ~3 hrs a day. The last month I am taking TPR 123 hr class and will study ~10 hrs 5 days a week. I hope your plan works out!

Is anyone else having trouble balancing MCAT studying with undergrad coursework? I'm taking 15 hours & trying to self study with examkrackers, but it seems like there's never enough time...

Been trying to get a June test date for the past few days and no luck :( Do y'all think seats will open up?
I'm a retaker. I start working FT soon, so I am dreading studying >.< Currently only have Kaplan books because I'm taking a class that starts at the end of this month, and I plan on using Khan academy stuff. I'm looking into buying the AAMC material too. Any recommendations on what other resources/books are worth buying? Thanks!

Been trying to get a June test date for the past few days and no luck :( Do y'all think seats will open up?
I'm a retaker. I start working FT soon, so I am dreading studying >.< Currently only have Kaplan books because I'm taking a class that starts at the end of this month, and I plan on using Khan academy stuff. I'm looking into buying the AAMC material too. Any recommendations on what other resources/books are worth buying? Thanks!
Honestly, the AAMC stuff is going to be your best bet as far as questions are concerned, b/c they're "official." Fwiw, I find the videos here especially helpful, particularly those about MCAT math. Though for square roots and cube roots, I prefer to do it by finding the closest perfect square (or cube) to the number in question, and estimating from there. Btw, Kaplan gives a great formula for estimating logs: -log (m*10^-n) = n-0.m. Ex: -log 4.5*10^3 = 3-0.45= 2.55 (it's actually 2.34, but this is very close). One thing of note is that as of last time I looked, Khan Academy does NOT have any specific MCAT math stuff.

Dang are you already through content review ?

Nope, just trudging through most of it. I find that I get much much more out of practicing, rather than just reading my MCAT books, etc. Most questions I miss aren't just conceptual facts I didn't know--it's more of me not interpreting the passages correctly, etc.

Nope, just trudging through most of it. I find that I get much much more out of practicing, rather than just reading my MCAT books, etc. Most questions I miss aren't just conceptual facts I didn't know--it's more of me not interpreting the passages correctly, etc.
I could not agree more. For example, I was having difficulty remembering Biology information when reading over the chapter, this was reflected in my poor BS mcat scores on old mcat practice tests. I since have picked up Biology 1001 by EK and am doing all those practice problems and am easily being able to retain the information....active learning is the best thing you can do, and that includes reading and answer questions rather than just reading.