The Official June 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abraxas305

Bark Bark
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So we can talk about all things MCAT 2015.
Just registered too!

Members don't see this ad.

I felt fine with the first three sections. Psych was a weak one for me anyways, and the test felt significantly harder than the practice test. Normally I was done with at least 30 min to spare, this time I finished at 3 min remaining.

Whatever. It's done! Not gonna bother guessing what scores I got, but I look forward to prelims. Good job everyone!

Hey guys! I'm taking the exam on July 17, but I've been combing through this thread to see how everyone felt about it. I had a question for those who took it. I think I might have read somewhere that, during the exam, when you click on the "review" button, the question type (discrete vs passage based question) appears next to the question number. Is that true?

I prefer doing all the discrete questions first and then dividing my remaining time to the passages. But I don't know if that'll be easy/time-beneficial to do on the real exam if you can only see one question at a time or if the question types aren't labeled on the review screen.

Last edited:
Hey guys! I'm taking the exam on July 17, but I've been combing through this thread to see how everyone felt about it. I had a question for those who took it. I think I might have read somewhere that, during the exam, when you click on the "review" button, the question type (discrete vs passage based question) appears next to the question number. Is that true?

I prefer doing all the discrete questions first and then divide my remaining time to the passages. But I don't know if that'll be easy/time-beneficial to do on the real exam if you can only see one question at a time or if the question types aren't labeled on the review screen.

I don't remember it showing that. Hopefully others can confirm

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't show up. But the way it goes is: 2 passages, 3ish discretes, 3 passages, a few discretes, 3 passages, a few discretes, 2 passages, a few discretes.

I wish the MCAT was like the DAT. Get your scores immediately after you take the test. I know a ton of pre-dental who either knew they were "good" or had to "retake" within a day or so of analyzing their scores.

Did anyone else find some of the Chem and Biochem passages really interesting?! I was reading it like "oh damn this is off the chain!"

Reactions: 1 user
All of you who studied with Kaplan know that they endorse a strategy where they want you to read the passage and then write a few word summary of every paragraph and the main idea of the passage on scratch paper. How effective is the strategy on the real MCAT as I heard the passages were longer?? Did you use it? Im writing in July and today I took my first FL WITHOUT doing that strategy and scored 125 (opposed to 123 on 2 previous tests where I did use their strategy. I found that when I DIDNT use their strategy but instead used the highlight feature for important sentences I wasn't worried about writing the few word summary on the starch paper and actually used all of my concentration to understand the passage well. The Kaplan instructor stressed this strategy and I am unsure if it is really effective or they just had to as part of their job. Any insights would be tremendously appreciated, thanks!

All of you who studied with Kaplan know that they endorse a strategy where they want you to read the passage and then write a few word summary of every paragraph and the main idea of the passage on scratch paper. How effective is the strategy on the real MCAT as I heard the passages were longer?? Did you use it? Im writing in July and today I took my first FL WITHOUT doing that strategy and scored 125 (opposed to 123 on 2 previous tests where I did use their strategy. I found that when I DIDNT use their strategy but instead used the highlight feature for important sentences I wasn't worried about writing the few word summary on the starch paper and actually used all of my concentration to understand the passage well. The Kaplan instructor stressed this strategy and I am unsure if it is really effective or they just had to as part of their job. Any insights would be tremendously appreciated, thanks!

There is no magic strategy. If you do better just highlighting and making a mental map, then do that. Do whatever makes you feel the most comfortable.

It doesn't show up. But the way it goes is: 2 passages, 3ish discretes, 3 passages, a few discretes, 3 passages, a few discretes, 2 passages, a few discretes.

That seems to be the general pattern, sometimes with 3 passages at first and then 2. But it's still really annoying. Using the first 15 minutes (usually less) for discrete Qs and then the remaining 80 minutes or so (8 per passage) is just an easy way to time myself without counting in my head too much, because I can get too anxious with the time ticking.

I'm probably overreacting, but still don't get why they changed it!!!!

Last edited:
I'm still pretty bummed they change the whole MCAT but we can't do anything about it.

I found it effective to page through every question, looking for discretes while also getting a feel for the passages and marking the hardest as save for last.

I used the kaplan strategy of writing outlines for everything as it helped me wrap my head around the passages. I didnt often refer to my outlines very often at all, except for a few cars and a few of the more confusing bio passages.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think outlines can work for the difficult or "killer" passages as stated by TPR. I stopped mapping what Princeton Review considers "now" and "later" passages and have improved my yield on stand alone passages. Haven't tried this technique yet on a full length. I'm taking it in August. Kind of jumped into this thread lol.

Hardest part of the Saturday mcat was the highlight feature... Took forever to highlight something.

I really don't know how I did I checked a couple questions on google and know that I got them wrong. I honestly didn't think the science on the mcat was hard. The problem with these exams is that ur competing against everyone else.

Nervous for my score, I know that there's no room to retake it and get a score for this cycle.

Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone else have to rush in CARS? I'm a little disappointed in myself. 3 years ago I some how got a 6 on verbal..That was essentially why I retook this exam. This time around, I put a tremendous amount of effort into prepping for verbal. I'm still not amazing but I got 85% on AAMC test and 80-90% on the packs.

Yet, on this exam I had to rush with 15 minutes for the last two passages, and 4 minutes to answer the last 6 questions! Let's just say I had to completely guess on 2 or 3 of those and didn't get a great reading of the passage in, so who knows what.

Kinda have a feeling its gonna **** me again :/

Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone else have to rush in CARS? I'm a little disappointed in myself. 3 years ago I some how got a 6 on verbal..That was essentially why I retook this exam. This time around, I put a tremendous amount of effort into prepping for verbal. I'm still not amazing but I got 85% on AAMC test and 80-90% on the packs.

Yet, on this exam I had to rush with 15 minutes for the last two passages, and 4 minutes to answer the last 6 questions! Let's just say I had to completely guess on 2 or 3 of those and didn't get a great reading of the passage in, so who knows what.

I have the same feeling about C/P . Same reason I retook. Don't stress it man, just enjoy the blissful ignorance in the next 2 weeks as much as you can. Worst case scenario, we have to take it again. I know that's such an exhausting thought, but the reason why we are busting our asses in the first place is because we want this so bad. Nothing worth it comes easy.

This is what's killing me now, CARS. I prepped so much for this section... I felt that the passages were longer than usual and that threw me off... Im really nervous about it, idk if I should just sign for a retake now just in case...

So does anyone know the exact day we get our percentiles? I thought that it was 3 weeks after but everyone on here is saying 2 weeks? Also does anyone else feel like every section went okay and maybe got a pretty good score but then think that maybe you just thought you knew the things well? I want to be excited but I don't want to be let down once the scores come back. I took the mcat last year but I don't remember if I felt confident after or not. Obviously didn't do well since I had to retake haha but I really did not put in even half the time I put in this time. I just hope we all did well. This process is really stressful. I am still waiting for my application to be reviewed and I wanted to know my score or percentiles before I decide what schools to add to my list. I have a 3.8 science GPA and 3.798 cum. Last year I got a 24 and had an interview at my top Osteopathic school but unfortunately was waitlisted. Taking the additional year to get a second degree and more research. Just really hope I scores in the 508 range at least.

So does anyone know the exact day we get our percentiles? I thought that it was 3 weeks after but everyone on here is saying 2 weeks? Also does anyone else feel like every section went okay and maybe got a pretty good score but then think that maybe you just thought you knew the things well? I want to be excited but I don't want to be let down once the scores come back. I took the mcat last year but I don't remember if I felt confident after or not. Obviously didn't do well since I had to retake haha but I really did not put in even half the time I put in this time. I just hope we all did well. This process is really stressful. I am still waiting for my application to be reviewed and I wanted to know my score or percentiles before I decide what schools to add to my list. I have a 3.8 science GPA and 3.798 cum. Last year I got a 24 and had an interview at my top Osteopathic school but unfortunately was waitlisted. Taking the additional year to get a second degree and more research. Just really hope I scores in the 508 range at least.

I feel pretty similar. If I had to guess, I missed 3-6 problems in each section. I want to feel confident, but I don't want to build myself up only to be crushed if I didn't do well.:hungover:

during our thirty minute break there was a guy who actually prepared a whole sandwich. he had brought mayo, ketchup, lettuce, tomatoes, and like ham and nonchalantly proceeded to prepare a nice ass sandwhich. it was almost soothing watch him make it.

at that point i rolled back into the testing room with guns a'blazing and blacked the **** out..

2-3 weeks to go.

Like this?

during our thirty minute break there was a guy who actually prepared a whole sandwich. he had brought mayo, ketchup, lettuce, tomatoes, and like ham and nonchalantly proceeded to prepare a nice ass sandwhich. it was almost soothing watch him make it.

at that point i rolled back into the testing room with guns a'blazing and blacked the **** out..

2-3 weeks to go.

2feb6753ae50b47b5939c20ee717c0ff.jpg

I crushed the lunch game! Sandwich, banana, energy drink, protein bar, and of course, some dark chocolate for happiness sakes.

I got back to my computer with 20 seconds left before my break was over though!! A little stressful.

Lol am I the only person who didn't eat or use my breaks? Adrenaline really killed my appetite. Only time I stopped was for the bathroom twice. Didn't want to lose my groove/focus. I think I ate one meal at like 6am and then didn't eat until dinner that night at like 8pm.

I crushed the lunch game! Sandwich, banana, energy drink, protein bar, and of course, some dark chocolate for happiness sakes.

I got back to my computer with 20 seconds left before my break was over though!! A little stressful.
What happens if you get back to your computer and it says you're out of time? THat happened to me once on one of the sections. It doesn't affect your score right?!

What happens if you get back to your computer and it says you're out of time? THat happened to me once on one of the sections. It doesn't affect your score right?!

I would hope not! That happened to me in 2 sections

Edit: I meant it happened to me when I was taking the test

Yeah it automatically voids you're exam...

JK I just assumed it would start the next section and you'd lose tine haha

ALSO, did anyone else notice how all passages absolutely do NOT have to relate to human body or medicine at all? I had seriously 3 straight up physics passages that were shocking to see.

sooooo many calculations...

ALSO, did anyone else notice how all passages absolutely do NOT have to relate to human body or medicine at all? I had seriously 3 straight up physics passages that were shocking to see.

sooooo many calculations...

Agreed. I mostly knew the material that was there, but I was pretty surprised to see a few of the passages. I thought the whole point of this new exam was to apply these concepts in more biological contexts, so it was pretty surprising to see questions that felt like they were straight up from the question packs.

Wanted an opinion. In my personal statement, I begin talking about this crazy experience I had working at a vet clinic in Thailand, where I was assisting in surgery for an animal that woke up during surgery and me and the vet who barely spoke english had to work together. Do you guys think talking about a veterinary medical experience is weird in a medical personal statement? I use it to discuss my ability to triage and teamwork, and the rest of my essay is about working in human clinical medicine. So I think its fine.

Agreed. I mostly knew the material that was there, but I was pretty surprised to see a few of the passages. I thought the whole point of this new exam was to apply these concepts in more biological contexts, so it was pretty surprising to see questions that felt like they were straight up from the question packs.

Hm. My 19th exam, C/P only had one straight up Physics passage, and at least two phys passages.

Idk if any of you guys have also been feeling some serious anxiety knowing that the outcome is out of our hands at this point, but if you are, i would HIGHLY suggest going for a run or just doing any exercise you might enjoy, and PUSH yourself while doing it. The endorphin rush after is so refreshing and worth it.

Wanted an opinion. In my personal statement, I begin talking about this crazy experience I had working at a vet clinic in Thailand, where I was assisting in surgery for an animal that woke up during surgery and me and the vet who barely spoke english had to work together. Do you guys think talking about a veterinary medical experience is weird in a medical personal statement? I use it to discuss my ability to triage and teamwork, and the rest of my essay is about working in human clinical medicine. So I think its fine.

I'd definitely say that is a great experience which is unique and worth talking about. It has parallels to human medicine and just the general globalization of modern medicine.

Last edited:
It's more fun to read. Kaplan is straight to the point, but TPR is more fun to read. If that makes sense. They complement each other well.
Did you(or anyone who has taken the MCAT) happen to use Kaplan's practice tests? If so, how representative do you guys think they were they of the actual MCAT? Were they more or less difficult?

Last edited:

I think it definitely depends. Are you officially certified to practice and assist in vet surgery? Are you certified and allowed to participate in Thailand? Was it a huge impact to your life that made you want to be a doctor?

I think its a wonderful story, but I can definitely see some adcoms saying, why not vet? or raising some ethics flags, ya know?

I think it definitely depends. Are you officially certified to practice and assist in vet surgery? Are you certified and allowed to participate in Thailand? Was it a huge impact to your life that made you want to be a doctor?

I think its a wonderful story, but I can definitely see some adcoms saying, why not vet? or raising some ethics flags, ya know?

thanks for your advice! One of the problems is that I have been having a hard time finding situations that had profound impacts. This one I think exemplifies one of the the qualifying features for why I should be a doctor. It is also a good lead into the next phase of my life as I enter masters program and have some experiences that do impact my decision.

At the volunteer clinic, yes I was allowed to assist in animal surgery. Only in a minor way, like putting in the catheter, or administering anesthesia in the catheter, preparing the animals (shaving, sterilizing), and helping hold instruments on tissues. I did get to clamp the ovarian artery. These were sterilization surgeries. So we were just taking out reproductive organs.

I have 6 years of veterinary medical training in rodent surgery through lab work. Not the same, but still skills the volunteer place was willing to take.

You think thats okay?

thanks for your advice! One of the problems is that I have been having a hard time finding situations that had profound impacts. This one I think exemplifies one of the the qualifying features for why I should be a doctor. It is also a good lead into the next phase of my life as I enter masters program and have some experiences that do impact my decision.

At the volunteer clinic, yes I was allowed to assist in animal surgery. Only in a minor way, like putting in the catheter, or administering anesthesia in the catheter, preparing the animals (shaving, sterilizing), and helping hold instruments on tissues. I did get to clamp the ovarian artery. These were sterilization surgeries. So we were just taking out reproductive organs.

I have 6 years of veterinary medical training in rodent surgery through lab work. Not the same, but still skills the volunteer place was willing to take.

You think thats okay?

That's pretty unique and an awesome EC if I was told this as an interviewer to be honest.

This is what's killing me now, CARS. I prepped so much for this section... I felt that the passages were longer than usual and that threw me off... Im really nervous about it, idk if I should just sign for a retake now just in case...

Same here! I did well in practice versions of CARS but felt like I was flying through the passages to try and finish on time. I did get through all of them, but I'm not confident with the answers I went with

You think thats okay?

Mmm be careful. Being licensed to practice as a vet and being allowed to perform various procedures in a Thai veterinary clinic are not one and the same. As someone with a vet in the family (one of my parents), I can assure you this would be considered a no-no to someone in the veterinary field. Rodent surgery through lab work is not the same as true veterinary medical training, which takes the same amount of time as human medical training.

I'm not sure what to tell you here, but I would ask your premed adviser or even a medical school official before you proceed. There is a chance that this situation could be perceived similar to the "I went to a third world country and performed medical procedures!" trope that is a death wish in admissions (i.e. you are not licensed or trained, you should not be performing medical procedures). Vet clinics in Thailand likely have very different standards than vet clinics here, but adcoms want to see that you use good medical judgement regardless of what someone tells you is OK. In the case of human medical situations, this means saying "no" when you are asked to do something you are not qualified to do. Animals aren't humans, but I worry that your situation might be viewed with the same eye.

For example, many small animals die very easily (easier than humans) from anesthesia. You can also actually do serious damage putting in a catheter if you do it wrong. My mother would never allow me to do these things on her animal patients, and I've been with her to work countless times. I'm not saying you definitely should not include them, I'm just saying get a second (expert) opinion. Maybe try to ask one of the adcoms on the pre-allo forum. However, I would think discussing the super basic procedures -- shaving, sterilizing, holding instruments on tissues -- would be OK.

You think thats okay?

Yeah I think that's great then! Just making sure it wasn't some shady international surgery experience haha. As long as you make it clear that it was a big part in your decision to pursue medicine.

And I certainly don't think you necessarily have to share profound experiences or anything like that (I find thats what the app is for), but merely the evolution of your thinking and willingness to become a physician. I didn't talk about any of my ECs, but I discussed how my motivations have changed throughout my life, and I just stuck to "why medicine" more than anything. BUT I think tying in ECs can be a very effective method of answering why medicine, as long as its done skillfully.

Is this true? I've heard CARs on TPR FLs are harder than the AAMC/real test CARs.

I wouldn't say the AAMC CARS was difficult as far as questions go, but the passages seemed longer, which meant less time for me to be able to think through each question. I usually didn't have difficulty finishing the practice FL with time to go back and review passages/questions that I wasn't positive about the first time through. But on the real one, I barely finished all on time. And I usually read fairly quickly. YMMV though :)

Mmm be careful. Being licensed to practice as a vet and being allowed to perform various procedures in a Thai veterinary clinic are not one and the same. As someone with a vet in the family (one of my parents), I can assure you this would be considered a no-no to someone in the veterinary field. Rodent surgery through lab work is not the same as true veterinary medical training, which takes the same amount of time as human medical training.

I'm not sure what to tell you here, but I would ask your premed adviser or even a medical school official before you proceed. There is a chance that this situation could be perceived similar to the "I went to a third world country and performed medical procedures!" trope that is a death wish in admissions (i.e. you are not licensed or trained, you should not be performing medical procedures). Vet clinics in Thailand likely have very different standards than vet clinics here, but adcoms want to see that you use good medical judgement regardless of what someone tells you is OK. In the case of human medical situations, this means saying "no" when you are asked to do something you are not qualified to do. Animals aren't humans, but I worry that your situation might be viewed with the same eye.

For example, many small animals die very easily (easier than humans) from anesthesia. You can also actually do serious damage putting in a catheter if you do it wrong. My mother would never allow me to do these things on her animal patients, and I've been with her to work countless times. I'm not saying you definitely should not include them, I'm just saying get a second (expert) opinion. Maybe try to ask one of the adcoms on the pre-allo forum. However, I would think discussing the super basic procedures -- shaving, sterilizing, holding instruments on tissues -- would be OK.

well you said it better than I did! haha definitely get a second opinion. I think it could be good, but the risks might outweigh the reward.

Thank you so much. When you phrase it that way, it definitely sounds like it could be shady. Having been to this clinic, this was quite the opposite. This is an NGO that employs international vets who make it there mission to heal stray homeless animals and foster them off. I didn't have to pay to be there. I simply volunteered my time and met some wonderful people. All the practices were safe. And all they needed was an extra set of hands for the very, very basic help. But you are totally right, I think it could come off completely wrong. Much to think about.

I am just annoyed I let myself linger on questions in the CP section, so I didn't get to answer 4-5 questions. I do feel decent about my performance overall. Lastly, I don't know about any of you, but I drank a lot of water to stay hydrated, and during the bio/biochem section I legitimately had to pee so bad I thought I was going to wet my pants haha. I was trying to answer the last 10 questions thinking how I would explain to everyone present that I couldn't hold it and just kept going like a champ hahaha.

Reactions: 1 users
I had to pee really badly during the psych/socio section. They really need to do something about the breaks....like allow 1 emergency break. I bet a plenty of others had the same problem you did and are too embarrassed to put it here.

I was DYING of having to pee during the bio section. It's definitely because I chugged a monster energy drink during the break though :whistle:

During the psych section I was literally struggling to keep my eyes open bc I only got 4 hours of sleep and the adrenaline was starting to wear off. I finished the section with 52 minutes left and I was like "eh ok ill just close my eyes for a minute before I check my answers." I ended up falling asleep for 30 minutes and woke up with 20 min left to check my answers. I literally caught 5-10 careless mistakes on my second run through the questions. That power nap saved my a$$ lol.

Reactions: 1 users