*** The Official LECOM Dental Class of 2019 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

I just got a March interview invite, yay! How do you guys get to the city Bradenton? I checked Expedia, and I could only find flights to Tempa. Do I need to take a bus to transfer? How does that work?

Members don't see this ad.

You are better of renting a car. You need a car in Fl, I interviewed outside Fl and in most of the cities cabs were doable. Here it's really expensive. We r talking that from the airport to brandenton we r talking around $120 so make the math. U should rent a car and use the gps.

Last edited:
Rent a car, drive over that long bridge, and you're there in about an hour. Stay the night. One person flew in that morning and walked in 30 minutes after the first presentation began

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received an interview invitation for LECOM School of Dental Medicine. I have had my heart set on this school since it is close to family and a great program. I will be interviewing in Mid-February. Does anyone know until what month interviews continue? I was hoping to get a date in January, but it wasn't available. I would hate for majority of the class to already be filled, leaving only a limited number of seats.

Almost certain I'll be dropping my acceptance here this week. Hope it goes to someone else on SDN. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone! I will be going in for the interview in the next few weeks and wanted to know if anyone can offer advice regarding the process. My interview time says 9am-12pm however previous posts suggest 8am-4pm. Is it a group interview or one-on-one? What kind of questions should we expect? Any feedback will be much appreciated. TIA!!!

Hello everyone! I will be going in for the interview in the next few weeks and wanted to know if anyone can offer advice regarding the process. My interview time says 9am-12pm however previous posts suggest 8am-4pm. Is it a group interview or one-on-one? What kind of questions should we expect? Any feedback will be much appreciated. TIA!!!
Congratulations on your interview!

I was just there on the 15th. Many showed up at before 8 am since their portal listed 7:45 as the starting time. However, it didn't start until 8:45-9 am. You get the chance to mingle with the early birds if you are there early. You will be out of there by 2:30.

The group interview, as previously described is a group interview. 2 faculty & 6 applicants. As described during the interview, they want this to be as much "conversational" as possible, so interact and go off of the other applicants' answers. As far as the questions, look here for past questions which I found very useful:
http://schools.studentdoctor.net/school/lecom-sdm-fl/survey/26#survey-result

Hope that helps.

Hi everyone! I am scheduled for an interview on March 5 and I would like some advice. I'll probably will land in Tampa, so what is the cheapest way to get to the school? Also, does anyone have any hotel recommendations that are close by and cheap?

Anyone else have an interview scheduled for Feb 5th?
Also, this might have been mentioned already but I haven't had a chance to read through all 10 pages of this post yet, what are our chances for people interviewing this late into the cycle? Anyone know how many spots have been filled/are left? Thanks in advanced!

I just got into USC so I'll be withdrawing my seat once or if my army waiver clears for the HSPS. I was told it would clear but its taking forever.

Hey, for those of you looking for roommates, there is a roommate forum for you to post on in the LECOM portal. Just go to https://portal.lecom.edu/ics and sign in, go to the "admissions" tab, in the lower left hand corner you will see a tab that says "roommate forum". I've already posted in there.

I hope this helped. Congrats and looking forward to meeting all of you. It's gonna be a great next 4 years!

-Alex

Members don't see this ad :)
Received an invite to interview today!! I scheduled for Feb 5th! Can't wait!

Finally emailed LECOM last night to turn down my acceptance. Hope it can go to one of you here on SDN!

Reactions: 2 users
my lecom portal said one letter was missing for some reason, and I had my professor send it.
I didn't check for a few months, but it was still listed as missing.

Sent them an email yesterday just to check on it, today I received an interview invite.
I don't think this is a conincidence.

However, the interview date is pretty late, like mid april.
I hope I'd know something about other schools before then, but if not, I guess I still attend.

Anyone know if we can change our dates if we see it on the scheduler like NOVA?

What do you guys think about the whole PBL thing?
would it be more of a pain in the butt kind of thing or helpful for learning?

my lecom portal said one letter was missing for some reason, and I had my professor send it.
I didn't check for a few months, but it was still listed as missing.

Sent them an email yesterday just to check on it, today I received an interview invite.
I don't think this is a conincidence.

However, the interview date is pretty late, like mid april.
I hope I'd know something about other schools before then, but if not, I guess I still attend.

Anyone know if we can change our dates if we see it on the scheduler like NOVA?

What do you guys think about the whole PBL thing?
would it be more of a pain in the butt kind of thing or helpful for learning?
I think PBL really depends on ur learning style. I think it would help me particularly bc ive always struggle with applying what I learn to real life situations; I'm the guy whos just good at memorizing things. It involves a lot of group discussions and critical thing. Ure not obligated or pressured to participate but it helps to always get involved.

I call LECOM weekly and they give the same run down; we will note on your application you have continued to express interest in the school.
The portal has not been updated since Dec.

Posting this from an alt account as I don't know if I am or not allowed to say anything about stuff from the interview, but I recently interviewed at this school and I must say I was quite impressed!

A lot of people worry about PBL and that's completely fine, it certainly is not for everyone. However, keep in mind their first class passed NDBE I and II with flying colors. PBL will be in groups of 10 with one facilitator that has the only purpose of keeping meetings with your group productive (will not help with learning/concepts). If you are truly worried about learning the concepts despite everything be aware that more than enough D2's and above offer tutoring for those struggling, Other interviewees I met that day that had experience with PBL explained to me that it really helped bond with fellow classmates so I'm pretty optomistic about PBL if I choose to go to LECOM. Between meetings, you will be independently studying. If you are a strong independent learner, this curriculum will be awesome for you. I like PBL because I like both a mix of independent learning then reinforcing/clarifying concepts through groupwork. Beats the traditional lecture style because you are learning basic sciences through case-study examples, and personally that would help me recall something better if I had a real example to go off of instead of just a textbook. You still have lecture components in dental component classes such as Restorative (dentures), Perio, Ortho, etc.

Faculty were very nice and happy to answer our questions. Interviewers created a very comfortable environment, so the nerves I was feeling that day was because I naturally get very nervous especially before an interview that determines my future. They asked pretty standard questions that you can find around SDN if you do some research. Interview was 1 hour since it was a group interview and all 6 of us had ample chances to talk.

The students all looked so happy and sat with us for lunch to answer all our questions, they seemed to have a good balance between school and relaxing/having a life outside dental school. They were all very friendly with each other as well, most live in the same apartment areas, some even have season passes to Disney/Universal!

In terms of patients, D3's were honest and told us it had initially been tough to find patients. LECOM has stepped up their advertising and getting things out by word of mouth as D3's seem to have on average about 15 patients each. Patients will be passed down from one year to the other and the patient base will only get bigger. D3's said they've gotten patients simply just by wearing scrubs to the grocery store and striking up conversation in line. Patient base is certainly one of my concerns so I will be keeping that in my thoughts as I think about this school more.

Beautiful school, seriously, it looks like going to school in paradise. Lake in the back with fountains that change color at night, palm trees surrounding the perimeter. The building is brand new, you need your badge to get in and out at all times, lots of security cameras. So many in fact that you can safely leave your stuff anywhere in the building. Looks like each D3 has their own "office" with its own chair, equipment, and they even have their names on the outside of their little offices! D1's assist D3's all first year, really good mentor system. D1's also make dentures all first year for patients.

Bradenton is mostly quiet upper-middle class, but a very clean, safe area it seems. Sarasota is about 20-30 min away where you'll find the beach and nightlife. Temperatures around 55 at night and 75 during the day in winter. I flew in through Tampa but I did not like it that much but didn't have the opportunity to explore it, just seemed crazy busy and congested with traffic. Unfortunately, it didn't help I traveled alone. It was an hour drive from Tampa to Bradenton, I rented a car and there was a $1.75 toll back and forth.

D4's have a choice between going to Erie, PA or Defuniak Spring, FL for the last year of D school. Keep in mind LECOM's mission statement emphasizes community service. Lots of people may be bothered by this but you gotta think about it this way. Not only do you gain invaluable experience for a whole year but you do good working with the underprivileged. Half the class (50/100 students) goes to each and last year nearly everyone got to go to their choice.

Any other questions feel free to PM me, overall I really liked LECOM. They've got a unique way of doing things and they even said it themselves, "we are a weird school."

Last edited:
Posting this from an alt account as I don't know if I am or not allowed to say anything about stuff from the interview, but I recently interviewed at this school and I must say I was quite impressed!

A lot of people worry about PBL and that's completely fine, it certainly is not for everyone. However, keep in mind their first class passed NDBE I and II with flying colors. PBL will be in groups of 10 with one facilitator that has the only purpose of keeping meetings with your group productive (will not help with learning/concepts). Other interviewees I met that day that had experience with PBL explained to me that it really helped bond with fellow classmates so I'm pretty optomistic about PBL if I choose to go to LECOM. Between meetings, you will be independently studying. If you are a strong independent learner, this curriculum will be awesome for you. I like PBL because I like both a mix of independent learning then reinforcing/clarifying concepts through groupwork. Beats the traditional lecture style because you are learning basic sciences through case-study examples, and personally that would help me recall something better if I had a real example to go off of instead of just a textbook. You still have lecture components in dental component classes such as Restorative (dentures), Perio, Ortho, etc.

Faculty were very nice and happy to answer our questions. Interviewers created a very comfortable environment, so the nerves I was feeling that day was because I naturally get very nervous especially before an interview that determines my future. They asked pretty standard questions that you can find around SDN if you do some research. Interview was 1 hour since it was a group interview and all 6 of us had ample chances to talk.

The students all looked so happy and sat with us for lunch to answer all our questions, they seemed to have a good balance between school and relaxing/having a life outside dental school. They were all very friendly with each other as well, most live in the same apartment areas, some even have season passes to Disney/Universal!

In terms of patients, D3's were honest and told us it had initially been tough to find patients. LECOM has stepped up their advertising and getting things out by word of mouth as D3's seem to have on average about 15 patients each. Patients will be passed down from one year to the other and the patient base will only get bigger. D3's said they've gotten patients simply just by wearing scrubs to the grocery store and striking up conversation in line. Patient base is certainly one of my concerns so I will be keeping that in my thoughts as I think about this school more.

Beautiful school, seriously, it looks like going to school in paradise. Lake in the back with fountains that change color at night, palm trees surrounding the perimeter. The building is brand new, you need your badge to get in and out at all times, lots of security cameras. So many in fact that you can safely leave your stuff anywhere in the building. Looks like each D3 has their own "office" with its own chair, equipment, and they even have their names on the outside of their little offices! D1's assist D3's all first year, really good mentor system. D1's also make dentures all first year for patients.

Bradenton is mostly quiet upper-middle class, but a very clean, safe area it seems. Sarasota is about 20-30 min away where you'll find the beach and nightlife. Temperatures around 55 at night and 75 during the day in winter. I flew in through Tampa but I did not like it that much but didn't have the opportunity to explore it, just seemed crazy busy and congested with traffic. Unfortunately, it didn't help I traveled alone. It was an hour drive from Tampa to Bradenton, I rented a car and there was a $1.75 toll back and forth.

D4's have a choice between going to Erie, PA or Defuniak Spring, FL for the last year of D school. Keep in mind LECOM's mission statement emphasizes community service. Lots of people may be bothered by this but you gotta think about it this way. Not only do you gain invaluable experience for a whole year but you do good working with the underprivileged. Half the class (50/100 students) goes to each and last year nearly everyone got to go to their choice.

Any other questions feel free to PM me, overall I really liked LECOM. They've got a unique way of doing things and they even said it themselves, "we are a weird schoo.l"
Great run down of what looks to be a great up and coming dental school. I must admit, I was skeptical of LECOM after reading on SDN, but when I interviewed there, I saw for myself that people are full of it and prejudiced because it's new and had a quasi-PBL system. The only thing I didn't like is moving to DeFuniak or Erie for D4. With a wife and 2 kids in tow, that would be too much hassle. However, knowing their mission statement and focus on community service, it would make total sense that you would spend some time in BFE doing community service oriented dentistry.

I had a January interview and haven't heard anything yet. My status on the portal still says my file is under review.

same with mine. I remember in the interview them saying the next round would go out today or maybe tomorrow so hopefully we hear something soon

I had my interview Jan 9, and they told our group Feb 2. They're killing me here with suspense!

If I remember correctly from my interview, the next wave (3rd total wave) of acceptances is this Wednesday February 4th.[/QUO
If I remember correctly from my interview, the next wave (3rd total wave) of acceptances is this Wednesday February 4th.[/QUOTE
Well I guess if that's true there's still hope for us...until Wednesday. Ha

i think ive checked my email well over 100 times today...

Reactions: 1 users
Got an interview for April 14.
If they're giving out interviews through April, maybe all of us January people are just getting denied. :( Or I really do hope we we'll hear something tomorrow or Wednesday.

If they're giving out interviews through April, maybe all of us January people are just getting denied. :( Or I really do hope we we'll hear something tomorrow or Wednesday.
I will good thoughts for you! It is also odd that they are continuing to interview all the way through April. That seems rather late....

I interviewed on January 15, 2015. I have not heard anything, I know they said in the interview that notifications go out the first week of February. More waiting because I didn't hear from them today!

Any girls going for the interview on Feb 5th would like to carpool or share hotel? I will be flying in to Tampa on Feb 4th around noon. PM me=]

So has anyone who interviewed Jan. heard anything? ANYTHING?!?!

I interviewed January and still have not heard anything. I really hope we all didn't get rejected :(

I interviewed January and still have not heard anything. I really hope we all didn't get rejected :(

Have faith my friends! Maybe they will tell us on tomorrow or the day after

Have faith my friends! Maybe they will tell us on tomorrow or the day after
I called them and they said next round of acceptances will go out tomorrow 2/4. Stay Positive!!!

Reactions: 7 users
I called them and they said next round of acceptances will go out tomorrow 2/4. Stay Positive!!!
Thank you for bring the brave one amongst us and calling them :) I hope some of us from January get in. Good luck everyone!!

I was waitlisted in December, but haven't heard anything… I don't understand how the wait list works. Do I have a better or worse chance since I am older on the waitlist since Dec instead of January and people that will be added to it in upcoming months?

Last edited:
I was waitlisted in December, but haven't heard anything… I don't understand how the wait list works. Do I have a better or worse chance since I am older on the waitlist since Dec instead of January and people that will be added to it in upcoming months?
Right there with ya. For some reason I feel like chances are slim to be taken off of the wait list since we were placed on it in December. Seems like since they interview so Many people they can easily just choose someone from more recent interviews. Interviewing pre-December might not be in our favor for this situation. Who knows though I could be totally wrong

Right there with ya. For some reason I feel like chances are slim to be taken off of the wait list since we were placed on it in December. Seems like since they interview so Many people they can easily just choose someone from more recent interviews. Interviewing pre-December might not be in our favor for this situation. Who knows though I could be totally wrong

I was waitlisted on Dec 1 but was accepted on Jan 1. I'm sure there will still be a lot of movement off the waitlist

I haven't heard anything, still waiting in anticipation!