The Official March 22, 2014 MCAT Thread...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DUDE, after that its the USMLE, than the Residencies, than the Fellowships, which is basically the next 10 years (give or take) and with that kind of mentality the positive thinking will never come. Thats basically why I'm happy now, I have a month off before I need to start studying again (if I need to take the MCAT again), and I'm gonna use it to do absolutely nothing (important), because if you enjoy wasting time, its not time wasted

At least once we're in medical school we are pretty much set to be doctors. sure those things you mentioned are way way way way way way way way more difficult and intense than the mcat and I won't debate that, but getting into medical school is a major step forward. at least then we'll know we'll be doctors.

At least once we're in medical school we are pretty much set to be doctors. sure those things you mentioned are way way way way way way way way more difficult and intense than the mcat and I won't debate that, but getting into medical school is a major step forward. at least then we'll know we'll be doctors.

Surprisingly, a large number of the doctors that I've specifically asked about this say that the MCAT was their most dreaded test. Most of them say that because of their interest in the medical field and the submersion in a learning environment, step 1 and all the other nonsense isn't nearly as bad. Meanwhile, so much of the unknown hinges on your MCAT performance and it's just different. Anyway, that's just anecdotal but I find it to be somewhat of a relief.

Reactions: 1 users
How is everyone's personal statement coming along? I hope to have my first draft by early next week. Will send it out to people i'm asking to write LORs. However, it's been pretty tough since i keep telling myself i'm not actually applying for another 2 months.....

Also, anybody here graduating seniors?? Senioritis is kicking in hard for me... Finals in two weeks. I've been slacking ever since i took that damn exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
Surprisingly, a large number of the doctors that I've specifically asked about this say that the MCAT was their most dreaded test. Most of them say that because of their interest in the medical field and the submersion in a learning environment, step 1 and all the other nonsense isn't nearly as bad. Meanwhile, so much of the unknown hinges on your MCAT performance and it's just different. Anyway, that's just anecdotal but I find it to be somewhat of a relief.

I feel like i will feel the same way... The worst part about studying for the MCAT was the PS and VR. Bio really wasn't that bad becasue the material was interesting. But waves, motion, electromagnetics, etc.... No thanks.

I feel like i will feel the same way... The worst part about studying for the MCAT was the PS and VR. Bio really wasn't that bad becasue the material was interesting. But waves, motion, electromagnetics, etc.... No thanks.

Exactly.
I heard step 1 doesnt have verbal (which is pretty obvious) + it's all about memorization. So yeah, it will be wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy easier for me.

Exactly.
I heard step 1 doesnt have verbal (which is pretty obvious) + it's all about memorization. So yeah, it will be wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy easier for me.

Yeah... as one doc put it 'By the time you take step 1 you pretty much know what you're doing and everything is a lot more natural than the MCAT.' Paraphrased of course, but the gist I got was, although medical school and all the other tests and crap are tough, the MCAT was more or less the biggest hurdle because so much is riding on it (You'll never get to do any step 1 or anything else without a decent MCAT score).

Come on guys almost two weeks to go, we just have to fill our days with distracting yet productive activities
:p I for one have my job to keep me distracted, which makes every day go by quickly. Then I come home and mix music on my computer. :D

Reactions: 1 user
two weeks to go guys........ I have April 22nd on my Days Matters. There is no way for me to let the time goes faster, so I choose to live with it.

I also told myself I wouldn't cut my hair until I got a medical school interview, possibly an acceptance, and I would like for that to be this year...my hair is getting too long lol

Members don't see this ad :)
My parents booked a week long cruise during May as my graduation gift. If I get less than a 28 I'll have to cancel the cruise. haha

I feel ya. I'm trying to distract myself with as many other things as possible but every now and again I also get really anxious about having to retake it again and potentially slowing down my app. In the meantime, I'll be playing GTA V and studying orgo and working on other parts of my app. Anyone else go to the April 5th page for nostalgia?

i remembered a physics question a day after the exam and checked to see if i got it correct...and found that I did get it correct....all of a sudden i thought of the same question today but came up with a different answer...man i almost had a panic attach! lol....ya i go there for nostalgia!

i remembered a physics question a day after the exam and checked to see if i got it correct...and found that I did get it correct....all of a sudden i thought of the same question today but came up with a different answer...man i almost had a panic attach! lol....ya i go there for nostalgia!

Haha weird, I just did a similar thing today. I looked up the definition of a word I saw in a bio passage and wikipedia tells me one answer but NIH tells me the other. Wiki seemed word for word an answer choice I choose so imma trust wiki lol

Without getting into specifics (as it is slightly illegal), can you describe the physics question that you looked up, I'm curious

Yeah... as one doc put it 'By the time you take step 1 you pretty much know what you're doing and everything is a lot more natural than the MCAT.' Paraphrased of course, but the gist I got was, although medical school and all the other tests and crap are tough, the MCAT was more or less the biggest hurdle because so much is riding on it (You'll never get to do any step 1 or anything else without a decent MCAT score).

^ This. A cardiologist I shadowed said that out of MCAT/applying to med school, being in med school/taking the board exams, residency, or fellowship, that the time period of MCAT/applying was by far the most stressful and difficult and that he wouldn't go through that again if someone paid him.

Made me feel a little better knowing maybe, just maybe, the worst of it all is already almost over...:)

Without getting into specifics (as it is slightly illegal), can you describe the physics question that you looked up, I'm curious

Lol...that's like saying "without looking like an a**hole, can you please punch that sweet old lady in the face?"

If I got a 30, or even a 29 with an 8 in VR, it would be arguably the best day of my life.

Reactions: 4 users
I gun down gunners, hate those guys. Humility is one of the best qualities of a future doctor IMO. I'm in classes, but I have Tuesdays and Thursdays off, so today it just goes back to those thoughts. Plus studying for the retake also fuels that fire.

I dunno why but time is flying for me. Maybe because I am not studying at all.

It's weird... weekends fly by and then during the week after work I like to do my PS and look at schools, and that's when the time goes really slowly. At work all I can think about it getting my score back!!

If I got a 30, or even a 29 with an 8 in VR, it would be arguably the best day of my life.

I felt the same with mine almost in january then I got a 29 and got hit with the "listen to us we all get 28s/29s and applying was really stressful" hammer and had the most stressful day in a while after seeing my score. it's so close to a 30 too it's like made to torment you >_< and serves to further emphasize that you can get a 30 and are so effing close.

Anyone feel superburnt out too? It's getting we are 2.5 weeks post mcat and I'm still letting myself relax and screw schoolwork and sleep more. My application questions were done in january bc my undergrad required it done by then for their purposes, but I still need to fix them and do other parts of my app. But, no motivation I feel done >.>

What was your breakdown mrh?

9/11/9 aka the breakdown i would have NEVER expected. I thought I got a 13 in bio, 6 in phys sci, and like 9 or 10 in verbal. no idea what happened, but i knew i could have done way better in phys sci and bio sci. one of the main reasons i did bad in phys sci the first is i didnt have a good understanding of all the material. bio sci just required me to be more careful. i was aving around 10 on bio sci on practice tests and ochem was my best subject.

Anyone feel superburnt out too? It's getting we are 2.5 weeks post mcat and I'm still letting myself relax and screw schoolwork and sleep more. My application questions were done in january bc my undergrad required it done by then for their purposes, but I still need to fix them and do other parts of my app. But, no motivation I feel done >.>

i got that way after studying for a while. give it a break, and come back to it it does wonders. im sucking on the personal statement, but it's not from lack of trying. breaks do wonders, and the mcat is one of the ultimate motivation killers. it drains you so much.

howz the personal statement coming along?

I just finished my first draft...man it was a real doozy!....now gotta EDIT!

I'm married to a third year, and am friends with a dozen or so residents....

1) The hardest part about medical school is GETTING INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL: Fact
2) You will not encounter the level of masking, word trickery, and general enigmatic passages on Step I. Step I presents clinical scenarios, of which you are prepared to recognize key elements and respond appropriately: Fact
3) Typing out a statement, followed by the word "fact", makes things sound marginally more official......................fact.

Reactions: 2 users