The Official March 22, 2014 MCAT Thread...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
By the way, I'm looking for some good non AAMC review tests, anyone want to send me suggestions? (I only want to purchase the tests, not the courses, textbooks, etc.)

Gold standard. they're great repetition for physical and bio sci questions. Also order the TBR FLs, they're decent. There's some junk in them, but also some good stuff.

Oh ok, I was thinking about getting TBR FL's

Against the popular belief here, I actually didnt like TBR FLs.
There are so many errors in their answer explanations. I guess PS was a decent practice, but BS was really bad.. Too detail-oriented.

Members don't see this ad :)
i agree with brood...TBR PS is very good....Kaplan BS is the way to go...their FLs, section tests are very verbal like and aamc like....Kaplan physics topical are very good but hard.....kaplan bio topicals are very specific unlike aamc but still good practice for identifying the weakness.

Reactions: 1 user
i agree with brood...TBR PS is very good....Kaplan BS is the way to go...their FLs, section tests are very verbal like and aamc like....Kaplan physics topical are very good but hard.....kaplan bio topicals are very specific unlike aamc but still good practice for identifying the weakness.

I have the old ones (2003). Are they still good to use?

Has anyone's belief about how they did change in the past few weeks?

Left the exam having NO IDEA about how i did. Now that i think about it though i'm expecting low to mid 20s and getting mentally prepared to have to start studying for a retake. Obviously hoping for 28+ though!!!

Honestly though, by now i don't think a low score will really depress me too much. I'll just have to study and retake. I already know i'll be applying DO/MD regardless of the score i get.

I am alright with the sciences, but that verbal still gives me chills. I consistently scored 10-11 on all the AAMCs, but I think it'll be lucky for my to break a 9 on this verbal.

A week left... anyone else feel like these days have been dragging by WAY too slowly? This month has sucked....and finals next week....oh goody....:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
By the way, I'm looking for some good non AAMC review tests, anyone want to send me suggestions? (I only want to purchase the tests, not the courses, textbooks, etc.)
I have GS1-10 available until June, they are okay tests with a little bit more calculation in PS. PM me if you r interested

We should have a forum wide drinking score release countdown party on April 22. Even though I work until 6:30pm I'm gonna be so excited to get home grab some aged scotch I've been saving for the occasion and check my scores and this thread! For better or for worse! Best luck to everyone, one week!
This is an awesome idea. Count me in.

congrats mrh125, you somehow made the score I don't care about sound like a death sentence...
lmao it will feel like one if you dont get the gift card after having to labor over those trial sections for an extra hour after you endured the test :mad:.

My emotions about this test have been a roller coaster, hahaha! I left the exam feeling good about it, mainly because I had taken so many practice tests that I didn't have any panic attacks. As soon as I started looking up questions I guessed on and realized I got at least 4-5 wrong on PS and BS I started panicking and was thinking I probably got a 28-29 but now the more I think about it the more confident I am that the curve will work in our favor and some of the questions I got wrong may have been trial ones (still not 100% clear about how that works) so I am starting to feel confident I got around my AAMC avg of 31 but trying not to get hopes up just in case. I just want it to be 4/22 already! This month has been the worst!

Can somebody explain this?

Some questions are experimental and whether or not you got it right will not affect your score. I've heard that these questions can be quite difficult and probably contribute to the feeling of having bombed your test. You will never know which ones were experimental.

Some questions are experimental and whether or not you got it right will not affect your score. I've heard that these questions can be quite difficult and probably contribute to the feeling of having bombed your test. You will never know which ones were experimental.
That's interesting, I've never heard that before. When I read their announcement on AAMC I thought all they meant was that we will have a trial section with 32 experimental questions, but non in the PS/VR/BS.

We're getting close! Congrats to those who were successful in drafting their personal statements. I'm supposed to be doing that... I'll try to make it the goal for this week lol

The only information I know about it is from the MCAT essentials PDF on the aamc website, "Note: Each of the three scored multiple-choice sections includes some experimental items. Experimental items, as well as questions contained in the Trial Section, do not count toward your score." (AAMC, p. 6).

That's all it really says and the date on the PDF is 2013 so I assume it applies to us as well. I just know we had one question in PS that, while maybe it was sort of basic, it seemed out of scope from what the AAMC says they test on the particular subject, anyone think they know what I'm talking about?

(please reprimand me if that statement reveals too much or is a violation of our agreement)

I can think of several PS questions that I hope were experimental.

Reactions: 3 users
I like madmuttals thread post...
I'd love to be that guy who said "oh I think I got like a 27 11/7/9 and actually got a 31 12/8/11 "

Reactions: 2 users

This is true. I remember thinking I bombed the physical sciences section (like got a 6) on my January test because there were a lot of weird questions and then finding out I got a 9. The questions I probably missed a lot of were trials I think.

This is true. I remember thinking I bombed the physical sciences section (like got a 6) on my January test because there were a lot of weird questions and then finding out I got a 9. The questions I probably missed a lot of were trials I think.
How would that be fair though, because instead of having 52 scorable questions we now have less

How would that be fair though, because instead of having 52 scorable questions we now have less

Idk the logistics but this is what they do. Maybe the aamcs predetermined curves are very good at assessing students or something. Honestly, though after taking the mcat twice I'm not sure if fairness is the main objective because the aamc does pull below the belt stuff.

^yea, I think forsure the questions that were exact copies from the AAMC practice test should be trial or that's pretty unfair to people who did not buy them...

I think i may need someone to hold my hand when I look at scores >.<

Anyone have any success studying while waiting for their score? I try to do a little everyday but its hard to go full force when you just don;t know. Needing some motiviation

Anyone have any success studying while waiting for their score? I try to do a little everyday but its hard to go full force when you just don;t know. Needing some motiviation

I did that for the january 22nd mcat (between then and the march 22nd), be careful not to burn out. personally i'd start with some flashcards every day or some small reading and problem solving stuff you didnt know. when you get your score back if it's not good enough, hit things with full force.

I did that for the january 22nd mcat (between then and the march 22nd), be careful not to burn out. personally i'd start with some flashcards every day or some small reading and problem solving stuff you didnt know. when you get your score back if it's not good enough, hit things with full force.
Thanks. I'm pretty much just reviewing notes and doing passages here and there. Haven't done any full lengths. Appreciate the advice.
Almost there!!!!

u guys making me feel really bad!! after mcat, I finished Personal statement and binge watched 6 seasons of Breaking bad which was so good!!...ok gonna start reviewing from tomorrow...

u guys making me feel really bad!! after mcat, I finished Personal statement and binge watched 6 seasons of Breaking bad which was so good!!...ok gonna start reviewing from tomorrow...
I recommend start the first season of game of thrones instead. (If you haven't seen)

Yeah just got mine too-41% correct. I ain't even mad because at least I got the gift card haha.

50% on biochem put me in top 25% of test takers...probably cause like myself, everyone was so exhausted by the end of the actual MCAT hahah

My sympathies are extended to any 2015 MCAT lurkers