The Official May 22, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fenderboi930

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think many of you will agree that today is a great day to officially prepare for the May 22nd MCAT!!!

I was against the April 2015 MCAT because a typical 3 month schedule doesn't seem to work for
students and/or working test takers. With a little over 4 months of preparation we can go in with confidence!
It's all new and really scary--so let's kick MCAT butt together!!

I was also wondering, wouldn't many professional MCAT test takers and tutors want to take the MCAT 2015 as soon
as possible (April MCAT) so they can better they're material or teaching? Wouldn't that just destroy the curve?

Members don't see this ad.

The Harry Potter convo is making me nostalgic :happy: It's been too long since I've reread that series.

a very important cause: putting an end to secondaries
bbl making history

I've actually tried to motivate myself to do assignments before through mini hunger strikes. I tell myself I'm not allowed to eat dinner until I finish three paragraphs or something.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, it sure has been a while for me. Hope everyone's cycle/secondaries are going well! For the most part all of my secondaries are written, just waiting on the loan I took out for my app fees to come through and then I will get rolling. Have I missed anything huge? Any more II's?

Well, it sure has been a while for me. Hope everyone's cycle/secondaries are going well! For the most part all of my secondaries are written, just waiting on the loan I took out for my app fees to come through and then I will get rolling. Have I missed anything huge? Any more II's?
Medical school: Where you have to take out a loan just to apply.
Gotta love the system

Reactions: 4 users
Would my internship count for this on Rochester's secondary: Participated in a formal summer research and / or enrichment program related to a career in the health professions (i.e., SMDEP funded by R.W.Johnson Foundation or other competitive program).

It wasn't research related, but I think it's for enrichment?

Internship:
C-SHIP: College Student Health Internship Program.
C-SHIP is an Internship program for students enrolled in post-secondary education with intent to pursue a career in health care. Internships are paid, 100 hours maximum, and can be completed over a summer, or summer and fall. Placements are with organizations or agencies with which we have Partnerships, and can include medical, social and human services, veterinary, nutrition or exercise science, nursing, geriatrics, pharmacy and other healthcare related fields. Positions are competitive and currently are located in Windsor or Windham Counties only.
http://www.svahec.org/programs/college-student/internships/

Would my internship count for this on Rochester's secondary: Participated in a formal summer research and / or enrichment program related to a career in the health professions (i.e., SMDEP funded by R.W.Johnson Foundation or other competitive program).
I would think so. It was competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
what? lol shes so flat. Hayden Panettiere is perfection lol

she's my superhero

Haha girls and guys definitely have a different definition of what is beautiful. I more or less have the body that most women consider beautiful, unfortunately. Thin, more or less hourglass, 32C, thigh gap. Maybe I should just become a lesbian.

@Lannister , for the Case research essay, do you think it's okay to write about research I did in a class? (Psych Research I&II), or should I go with my less interesting, but independent study, research on GMOs?

Also, did you use citations? Or just talk about it?

I have so much to say on the small group project essay, I could write a novel. Too bad its only 1000 characters. Wrote a 40-page "group" paper with almost 200 primary sources last semester. And by group I mean myself.

Last edited:
@Lannister , for the Case research essay, do you think it's okay to write about research I did in a class? (Psych Research I&II), or should I go with my less interesting, but independent study, research on GMOs?

I think it's okay to use the research you did in a class, as long as you came up with your own hypothesis. You could also talk about both, but that might be hard to organize into an essay. A lot of people on the Case thread are saying not to talk about research you did in class but honestly, I think it's better than nothing, as long as you're not like talking about ochem lab or something hahaha.
I did not use citations, I hope we weren't expected to.

My background was concise so I only used like 3 citations. Coildnt bring myself to submit without adding them lol but j know others who didn't add any

I think it's okay to use the research you did in a class, as long as you came up with your own hypothesis. You could also talk about both, but that might be hard to organize into an essay. A lot of people on the Case thread are saying not to talk about research you did in class but honestly, I think it's better than nothing, as long as you're not like talking about ochem lab or something hahaha.
I did not use citations, I hope we weren't expected to.
Yeah, that's what everyone says, not to use class research, which is why I did the other project. But the psych research course at my school is basically a 2-semester independent study. You spend the whole first semester doing literature reviews, writing the intro, and coming up with methods/measures, then you implement it second semester. And I spent a very long time wading through primary sources to come up with my hypotheses.

My background was concise so I only used like 3 citations. Coildnt bring myself to submit without adding them lol but j know others who didn't add any

Lol watch in a few days I'll get an email from Case's office of academic integrity accusing me of plagiarism for not citing my sources.
Actually one of the people I used to work with got busted for torrenting SpongeBob episodes. The producers of SpongeBob caught him, and reported him to Case.

Yeah, that's what everyone says, not to use class research, which is why I did the other project. But the psych research course at my school is basically a 2-semester independent study. You spend the whole first semester doing literature reviews, writing the intro, and coming up with methods/measures, then you implement it second semester. And I spent a very long time wading through primary sources to come up with my hypotheses.

Honestly I think you should talk about the psych research, it sounds like it was pretty intense.

Honestly I think you should talk about the psych research, it sounds like it was pretty intense.
Yeah, that's what my gut was telling me. It was definitely more intense.

Also, that class was kind of fun because you could see your rank in the class and everyone is fighting to be #1

Yeah, that's what my gut was telling me. It was definitely more intense.

Also, that class was kind of fun because you could see your rank in the class and everyone is fighting to be #1

Haha oh my God that does not sound fun to me at all...I've never been ranked before, I don't think I could handle it. This is why I need to go to Case. P/F, no ranking, lots of teamwork encouraged.

Haha oh my God that does not sound fun to me at all...I've never been ranked before, I don't think I could handle it. This is why I need to go to Case. P/F, no ranking, lots of teamwork encouraged.
Yeah, it was actually super weird though, because my psych research class was like a family as well. We all spent countless hours reviewing each other's work and helping each other out with data analyses and etc.

Yeah, it was actually super weird though, because my psych research class was like a family as well. We all spent countless hours reviewing each other's work and helping each other out with data analyses and etc.

Haha maybe secretly they were all screwing up each other's data.
The admissions guy from Case was like, "Case is really great because we foster an environment in which students can work together and share information, /correct/ information, with each other".

I would love doing P/F. Working together and collaborating on difficult assignments is fun.

I would love doing P/F. Working together and collaborating on difficult assignments is fun.
yeah and this time around it'd be together, unlike [my] undergrad where one person does all the work bc no one else cares
(me= :bookworm:...:thinking:...:idea:...:bookworm:...:thinking:... :yeahright: _____ :shrug: :cigar: :corny::headphone: =them)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
@Lannister @Glazedonutlove , did you guys put numbers when you talked about results? Or just something like my hypothesis was supported?

Maybe I'll just put p < .05 and leave out the t's, F's, and Beta's

Haha actuallyyyy I have no results yet, the field season isn't over till the end of August so I won't really start analyzing data until September. I probably wouldn't have included any numbers tho, I would just say the results supported my hypothesis.

@Lannister @Glazedonutlove , did you guys put numbers when you talked about results? Or just something like my hypothesis was supported?

Maybe I'll just put p < .05 and leave out the t's, F's, and Beta's
I put p<.05. I think you would be fine leaving out the rest haha

And yes I desctibed what we found since it was specific, and then talked about this summers stuff since its based on those results

yeah and this time around it'd be together, unlike [my] undergrad where one person does all the work bc no one else cares
(me= :bookworm:...:thinking:...:idea:...:bookworm:...:thinking:... :yeahright: _____ :shrug: :cigar: :corny::headphone: =them)

That picture literally summarizes like every project I did for electives in undergrad:laugh:.

Reactions: 1 users
Haha actuallyyyy I have no results yet, the field season isn't over till the end of August so I won't really start analyzing data until September. I probably wouldn't have included any numbers tho, I would just say the results supported my hypothesis.
I also did this kind of thing, my results are going to be analyzed this semester so I didn't have any results to report.

On Duke's secondary (the what will challenge you most question), do you think talking about how I don't know any other languages would be appropriate? And how I plan to over come it.