The Official May 22, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fenderboi930

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think many of you will agree that today is a great day to officially prepare for the May 22nd MCAT!!!

I was against the April 2015 MCAT because a typical 3 month schedule doesn't seem to work for
students and/or working test takers. With a little over 4 months of preparation we can go in with confidence!
It's all new and really scary--so let's kick MCAT butt together!!

I was also wondering, wouldn't many professional MCAT test takers and tutors want to take the MCAT 2015 as soon
as possible (April MCAT) so they can better they're material or teaching? Wouldn't that just destroy the curve?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm now I'm running into the problem of some medical schools who on their website list the code for the general undergrad university, but on FAFSA there is an option for the medical school. Any idea what to do here?

I would say trust the website!

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you guys seen that thread about furries on pre-allo? I looked up Furry Dance Competitions on YouTube and it was the weirdest/most hilarious thing I've seen in a long time.

Have you guys seen that thread about furries on pre-allo? I looked up Furry Dance Competitions on YouTube and it was the weirdest/most hilarious thing I've seen in a long time.
So funny. I used to work in a hotel one summer and there was a furry weekend. Weirdest group ever, but they tipped the housekeepers well.

Haha I'm helping my buddy set up a study plan and get ready to study for the MCAT, and after telling him what I all did with content review and practice tests and all that he was like "Holy s*** man, that sucks." So glad to be done with that!

Edit: until step 1 that is...

Reactions: 1 users
lol trying to look up all my past address for the background check. good thing we moved around a lot
I had to ask old floor mates and stuff what dorm room I was in freshman year because I couldn't find it anywhere haha. On the bright side, though, I finished off my FAFSA!

Members don't see this ad :)
Currently writing my letter of desperation--oops, I mean "intent"--to Case and it's starting to sound more like a love letter.

Working on my update letter for Iowa if I get into the final pool (which basically everyone does that interviewed). Alternate list at Cincinnati, though I thought it was my best interview. I think I am going to work with my advisor and do a mock interview again before Rochester. Otherwise, I am going to be stuck at Indiana (though it is still a good school and I shouldn't complain).

Hope all of you are doing well. I finished my senior comps today so I had already planned to get drunk. Now it is not all celebration.

Have any of you stayed with a student host for an interview? If so, how was it? I'm staying with a student host but feel like it's going to be awkward haha

Have any of you stayed with a student host for an interview? If so, how was it? I'm staying with a student host but feel like it's going to be awkward haha

I have not, but I've been a student host for prospective undergrads many times, and it's really fun :D It's never been awkward for me and I don't think my prospies felt awkward either.

Working on my update letter for Iowa if I get into the final pool (which basically everyone does that interviewed). Alternate list at Cincinnati, though I thought it was my best interview. I think I am going to work with my advisor and do a mock interview again before Rochester. Otherwise, I am going to be stuck at Indiana (though it is still a good school and I shouldn't complain).

Hope all of you are doing well. I finished my senior comps today so I had already planned to get drunk. Now it is not all celebration.
Welcome back! Sorry about Cincinnati.

Guys I got nominated for this pretty competitive and prestigious award from SUNY but I'm afraid to fill out my application. Am I the only one who doesn't apply for stuff just because they hate being rejected and feeling not good enough? I really need to get over this or its gonna haunt me my whole life, its such a crippling fear. Anyone else ever feel like this? Also, I probs totally just made the may 22 thread take a weird turn by mentioning borderline psychotic behavior on my part lol my bad

I totally understand, I feel exactly the same way. Sometimes it feels like I get rejected from everything so why even bother. But you should totally apply! I'm sure you'd win!

Guys I got nominated for this pretty competitive and prestigious award from SUNY but I'm afraid to fill out my application. Am I the only one who doesn't apply for stuff just because they hate being rejected and feeling not good enough? I really need to get over this or its gonna haunt me my whole life, its such a crippling fear. Anyone else ever feel like this? Also, I probs totally just made the may 22 thread take a weird turn by mentioning borderline psychotic behavior on my part lol my bad
Agree with lanny. I will give you the best reason for you to apply. The reason is "why not?". Seriously, why not? GL

Reactions: 1 user
At this stage in the game, you have already won. Your are going to medical school on scholarship. If you don't win, it won't affect you. If you do win, it is something nice. Go for it!

Reactions: 1 users
Just out of curiosity, what kind of stuff have you guys said when asked the "Is there anything else you want me to know" question? I've been asked it a decent amount and feel like I've never had much to add at the end of my longer interviews, but feel I should try to add something as a "last selling point" of sorts.

Last edited:
@Pastamahn got into WashU!? CONGRATS! That's awesome! :D

I found the funnest volunteering thing to occupy this semester. I'm going to be a vision screener for pre-school students!

Reactions: 3 users
Weird question. I'm alone at work and this lady just came in asking for donations for some group supporting homeless children. It was kinda sketchy but I was like whatever and gave her $2. Is this like a normal thing that people do or did I just get scammed out of $2?

Weird question. I'm alone at work and this lady just came in asking for donations for some group supporting homeless children. It was kinda sketchy but I was like whatever and gave her $2. Is this like a normal thing that people do or did I just get scammed out of $2?
You may have gotten scammed. Did they have a nonprofit tax certificate? That is how most of the people do it around here. Lots of people where I grew up decorate cans with fake charities and hit people up for money. Still, it is the thought that counts.

Sitting at work at my tax job. I have been working for the tax office since I was in high school. I have to tell all my clients that I am leaving them after this year, since I am moving away to go to med school. My manager asked if I wanted to work part-time in med school. I told her that this time next year I won't have time to eat or sleep, let alone do taxes.

Reactions: 2 users
You may have gotten scammed. Did they have a nonprofit tax certificate? That is how most of the people do it around here. Lots of people where I grew up decorate cans with fake charities and hit people up for money. Still, it is the thought that counts.

Lol I don't even know, she didn't really show me anything. But I figured it was only $2 so if it was going to homeless kids great, if it was going in her pocket, whatever. I hope she needed it.

Any one know how long it takes schools usually to receive background check?

EDIT: nvm I though it would automatically send it to accepted schools when i hit release report but i think IU does something separately for background checks per their portal. carry on...

Last edited:
Guys just a little life advice. Pomegranate seeds might look normal, but if they taste alcoholic and fizz in your mouth you probably shouldn't eat them. And you definitely shouldn't eat a full cup of them. The results are not good.

So I have a question that I was wondering what you guys thought about. At what point would the cost difference between your state school and a top 5 or 10 school be too much? If I get off the wait list at my state school (Wisconsin) I would have pretty cheap tuition and am deciding at what point the price difference between UW and Wash U (or Harvard/Duke if I get in) is worth it? Any of you thought about scenarios like this at all?

So I have a question that I was wondering what you guys thought about. At what point would the cost difference between your state school and a top 5 or 10 school be too much? If I get off the wait list at my state school (Wisconsin) I would have pretty cheap tuition and am deciding at what point the price difference between UW and Wash U (or Harvard/Duke if I get in) is worth it? Any of you thought about scenarios like this at all?
Well while the top 5 or 10 school does not pertain to my person, I would say that it is all about how you felt at each school. Now let's say that you felt great at each. In that position i would draw the line at around 25k (as far as tuition)... Now you also need to take into account living costs, etc.

For most schools, I would say take the cheapest, but you have three possible schools that would be worth getting the extra money. At those schools, the extra opportunities could pull you into entirely different paths, with additional research, mentors, etc. I would plan for Wash U and just live cheaply to make up the difference. It isn't hard to live cheaply in St. Louis either, so that is a plus.
Now if you get Duke you have to decide if you are ready for that first year of hell.

I think you have to think about what your goals after medical school are. Will those other schools help you reach those goals in a way that UW can't? Will they get you a residency that UW won't? Compare match lists and things like that.

I guess for me, my thinking is that UW would in no way hold me back because it's still a really great school, but the others schools might afford me more opportunities and resources. Not sure of the extent of the effect school choice has on residency, but as of now I'm thinking a surgical specialty (but who knows if that will actually stick) which are usually pretty competitive.

I guess for me, my thinking is that UW would in no way hold me back because it's still a really great school, but the others schools might afford me more opportunities and resources. Not sure of the extent of the effect school choice has on residency, but as of now I'm thinking a surgical specialty (but who knows if that will actually stick) which are usually pretty competitive.
Well, don't put the horse before the cart either. No use stressing if UW isn't an option yet. I'd focus on determining which of the schools you've already gotten into you want to attend. If the option for UW becomes a reality than deal with that later on down the road. Plus, if you do get off of the waitlist, your reaction to that news will probably be pretty enlightening as to whether that's the school you want to be at or not.