The Official May 22, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fenderboi930

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think many of you will agree that today is a great day to officially prepare for the May 22nd MCAT!!!

I was against the April 2015 MCAT because a typical 3 month schedule doesn't seem to work for
students and/or working test takers. With a little over 4 months of preparation we can go in with confidence!
It's all new and really scary--so let's kick MCAT butt together!!

I was also wondering, wouldn't many professional MCAT test takers and tutors want to take the MCAT 2015 as soon
as possible (April MCAT) so they can better they're material or teaching? Wouldn't that just destroy the curve?

Members don't see this ad.

Haha I don't even know what a Stafford loan is so I'm not sure.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using SDN mobile

Edit: 40,500 according to Google. Idk why mine says 20,500, shouldn't I get the full 40,500??
I'm right there with you. I'm terrible with all of this financial stuff.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm actually sure it's $40,5000 for med students, I was reading a thread about this the other day. You can take out $40,500 in unsubsidized loans, which are the good ones (or the less bad ones, I guess), and then anything beyond that has to be Grad Plus, which is a higher interest rate.

I'm actually sure it's $40,5000 for med students, I was reading a thread about this the other day. You can take out $40,500 in unsubsidized loans, which are the good ones (or the less bad ones, I guess), and then anything beyond that has to be Grad Plus, which is a higher interest rate.
You are totally right. The max is 40.5k

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Haha I don't even know what a Stafford loan is so I'm not sure.

Edit: 40,500 according to Google. Idk why mine says 20,500, shouldn't I get the full 40,500??
EFC is Expected Family Contribution; you will always have an expected contribution even when you are independent.

Stafford loan is not Grad Plus Loan, I thin the 40.5k is for the Grad Plus.

Reactions: 1 users
EFC is Expected Family Contribution; you will always have an expected contribution even when you are independent.

Stafford loan is not Grad Plus Loan, I thin the 40.5k is for the Grad Plus.

Stafford loan is the unsubsidized loan, yeah. Dammit I thought the 40.5k is for the Stafford loan.

I really thought I remembered from financial aid presentations that Stafford went up to 40.5k and Grad Plus covered up to the cost of attendance afterwards.

I really thought I remembered from financial aid presentations that Stafford went up to 40.5k and Grad Plus covered up to the cost of attendance afterwards.
This is what i believed as well... I think it is this way, isn't it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah FAFSA has been a struggle for me ever since applying for undergrad. Seems like I'll never be able to leave it hah.

Guys how does multiple acceptance data to med schools work. Like who gets to see it and what do they see.

I think how it works is, if a school accepts you, they can see how many other acceptances you have. I think they can also see where you are accepted, but don't quote me on this.

I think how it works is, if a school accepts you, they can see how many other acceptances you have. I think they can also see where you are accepted, but don't quote me on this.
I also was under the impression they could see where else you had been accepted. And then at some point schools that have waitlisted you can see your acceptances as well.

I'm sorry :( But you got farther than the vast majority of people ever will, and it looks like you have acceptances to a lot of great schools!

Haha this is why I withdrew last week. Sorry to hear though. :(
Thanks guys. I can't honestly say I had very high hopes so not much of a shock. But I am still absolutely blown away with how well this app cycle has gone and am extremely grateful about that!

I have a question. What is the different between M3 and MS3? Do they both just mean third year medical student?

Can I start med school now please? Partly cuz I'm excited, partly because I need to get out of my suite ASAP. The drama right now is unreal. It's escalated to the point where multiple people, including me, feel uncomfortable and unsafe in their own homes. It's really, really sad and the stress of it is making two of my suite mates physically ill. The events of tonight have me sitting in my room shaking because I am so keyed up on adrenaline.
Sorry, I just needed to vent and I feel like I have no one to talk to about this.

Can I start med school now please? Partly cuz I'm excited, partly because I need to get out of my suite ASAP. The drama right now is unreal. It's escalated to the point where multiple people, including me, feel uncomfortable and unsafe in their own homes. It's really, really sad and the stress of it is making two of my suite mates physically ill. The events of tonight have me sitting in my room shaking because I am so keyed up on adrenaline.
Sorry, I just needed to vent and I feel like I have no one to talk to about this.
Very sorry to hear that Lanny. It sounds like a very toxic environment to be in :/.
But we are right there!!!! Just focus on that

Very sorry to hear that Lanny. It sounds like a very toxic environment to be in :/.
But we are right there!!!! Just focus on that

Thanks :) my suite mate suggested calling in an RA to mediate a discussion so hopefully my other suite mates will agree to that.

So what is the Need Access? I have seen some schools mention it and am trying to get on top of my financial aid paperwork.

So what is the Need Access? I have seen some schools mention it and am trying to get on top of my financial aid paperwork.

My understanding is that the Need Access application is what is required if you are applying for institutional need-based aid.

My understanding is that the Need Access application is what is required if you are applying for institutional need-based aid.
Hmm it looks like some schools don't require Need Access. I'm just confused what the difference between FAFSA and Need Access is.

Hmm it looks like some schools don't require Need Access. I'm just confused what the difference between FAFSA and Need Access is.

Ah yeah I guess that would make sense that if Need Access is for institutional aid, some schools would require it and others would just make their own application. I think FAFSA is for federal loans and Need Access is for loans from your school. But don't quote me on that.

Ah yeah I guess that would make sense that if Need Access is for institutional aid, some schools would require it and others would just make their own application. I think FAFSA is for federal loans and Need Access is for loans from your school. But don't quote me on that.
That would actually make sense. One of the schools I that doesn't require the Need Access had their own form about my income and my parent's income. I jst didn't know if I should still fill it out if it's not explicitly stated by the schools I'm filling out financial aid forms for.

Need access is like a separate version of the CSS Profile. They assess your financial need outside of what the FAFSA reports.

oh jeez. I haven't even started on any of this. I should really look in to due dates for fafsa and all

May MCAT fam bam! I know I haven't been here in ages, but just wanted to pop back in one last time to say ya'll are the best! My cycle is finally over, and I just thought about how crazy it is that it all started here over a year ago! Hope to meet some of you in the future as physicians, though I guess we will never know it. :)

Also, does everyone know where they are going yet? I would love to hear where some of the long-timers are headed! @Glazedonutlove, @panda16, @Lannister, @Johnyellow, @Pastamahn, everyone else! :corny:

May MCAT fam bam! I know I haven't been here in ages, but just wanted to pop back in one last time to say ya'll are the best! My cycle is finally over, and I just thought about how crazy it is that it all started here over a year ago! Hope to meet some of you in the future as physicians, though I guess we will never know it. :)

Also, does everyone know where they are going yet? I would love to hear where some of the long-timers are headed! @Glazedonutlove, @panda16, @Lannister, @Johnyellow, @Pastamahn, everyone else! :corny:
I haven't decided yet and I'm waiting for places I've been wait listed at. Love the schools I have heard back from though :)
CONGRATS on Harvard though that is amazing!!! So proud of everyone in this thread!

I'm probably going to Cincinnati! I'm actually headed there right now to go apartment hunting. Still waiting to hear back from UIC but I'm almost positive I'll still chose Cincinnati. And of course I'm still waiting on Case but I don't have any expectation of getting in there. But I really liked Cincinnati so I'm happy! :)

Still have to hear back from a couple of places, but right now it's 95 percent going to be Hopkins! Still can't believe I can say that haha.

Also damn Daniel you got into Harvard that's awesome!

Reactions: 4 users
@carpediem22 I can't say I'm not jealous of that Harvard acceptance :p But congrats! @panda16 congrats on Hopkins! I think personally, barring any large scholarships elsewhere or wait list movement at my state school (dirt cheap tuition that would be hard to pass up), it's looking like WashU!

Reactions: 3 users
@carpediem22 congratulations! The same goes to everybody else. What a crazy journey this year has been. I will be attending LECOM.

I had a surge of late interviews, so I am up in the air. IU is most likely but there is still hope for Rochester, Emory and Iowa. I find out two of them when I am on Spring Break, which starts in an hour.

@Johnyellow , which LECOM?

It is between Loyola and IU for me, depending on the campus lottery at IU. Glad it is almost over.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using SDN mobile

@carpediem22 I can't say I'm not jealous of that Harvard acceptance :p But congrats! @panda16 congrats on Hopkins! I think personally, barring any large scholarships elsewhere or wait list movement at my state school (dirt cheap tuition that would be hard to pass up), it's looking like WashU!
omg yes WashU that's awesome. They're so weird about their acceptances before April I guess so that's so awesome that you got in!