**The Official MUSC Class of 2019 Thread**

kb0102

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Join in on the conversation if you're applying to MUSC!

If you have any questions about the school, applications, interviews, etc. feel free to ask them here. I am a current D1 on a Navy scholarship, so if you're interested in the military I can tell you about that as well.

The MUSC Class of 2018 is comprised of 45 females and 30 males. 48 in-state and 27 out-of-state.

Good luck, yall! Say hello to your potential classmates below.

Edit: The Class of 2019 has begun to form. A link to the class Facebook group is below. Do not be alarmed by the number of members, as 80+ are current students/faculty.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/521037054706151/

To those still waiting to hear back, be patient. In some cases people are accepted a week before orientation (at the beginning of June).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am applying this cycle and being in-state this is my first choice. And also applying for Navy HPSP.

C/o 2018 class pool seemed a little small. Do you know if theyre planning on meeting the 100 student class pool?

If you're asking if they are planning on expanding the class size, I doubt it. They increased the class size back in 2009 to accommodate more out-of-state students. Current class sizes are in the 70-75 student range so that is what I expect in the near future as well. I hope I interpreted your question correctly.

Good call applying for the Navy! Applying early is the best thing that you can do for your application. Are you already in contact with a recruiter? If not, I have a recruiter that I can refer you to. He is super efficient and on the ball, and is also the NRD for MUSC. I highly recommend him if you are not too far along in the process. He is by far the best recruiter I have ever worked with.

Members don't see this ad :)
27 OOS students? That seems a little high considering MUSC is a state supported school along with the fact it is the only dental school in South Carolina.

If you're asking if they are planning on expanding the class size, I doubt it. They increased the class size back in 2009 to accommodate more out-of-state students. Current class sizes are in the 70-75 student range so that is what I expect in the near future as well. I hope I interpreted your question correctly.

Good call applying for the Navy! Applying early is the best thing that you can do for your application. Are you already in contact with a recruiter? If not, I have a recruiter that I can refer you to. He is super efficient and on the ball, and is also the NRD for MUSC. I highly recommend him if you are not too far along in the process. He is by far the best recruiter I have ever worked with.

Yes you interpreted correctly. But my bad, I looked back at the previous ADEA guides and you're right. I just always thought they accepted more (maybe it's because that increase to accommodate OOS student). I have been in contact with a recruiter from the recruiting station in NC and has been pretty prompt about everything. I have yet to send him anything, it's just such a far drive up from where I am in SC. In other words, I am interested in this NRD at MUSC. Please pm me.

I was also surprised by the number of OOS students this year. In previous years I believe that number was closer to 20. My understanding is that the college of dental medicine receives minimal state funding (compared to medical, for example). This paired with the cost of the new clinic may have something to do with the high number of out-of-staters. This is just me trying to make sense if it though, so my disclaimer is that these are my own assumptions.

I hope it stays around that number since I'm OOS ;)

Thanks for starting this!

Reactions: 1 user
probably going to turn in my primary app this week (which i figure is still pretty late in the cycle). But just wondering, do they look at your application and request interview even without letters of recommendation?

Can't wait to hear back from this school! Does anyone know when they might be sending first round of interview invites?

Can't wait to hear back from this school! Does anyone know when they might be sending first round of interview invites?
According to last year's thread, invitations were first sent out on August 1st. So I'm hoping soon..... Freaking out here!

I received an interview today! I am instate

Same here, instate. In the same city too. Im stoked. Cant wait to meet my potential classmates!

Members don't see this ad :)
for those wondering when invites may be going out, I received one yesterday, OOS

Join in on the conversation if you're applying to MUSC!

If you have any questions about the school, applications, interviews, etc. feel free to ask them here. I am a current D1 on a Navy scholarship, so if you're interested in the military I can tell you about that as well.

The MUSC Class of 2018 is comprised of 45 females and 30 males. 48 in-state and 27 out-of-state.

Good luck, yall! Say hello to your potential classmates below.
Hi I'm currently applying for the Navy's HPSP, how did you find the process to be? At the moment I'm just trying to wrangle my medical records :)

Anyone going Oct 31?? Just got the phone call today!

I have an interview October 17th. Any advice for what kind of questions they will ask (besides the generic, "why do you want to be a dentist")?

I have an interview October 17th. Any advice for what kind of questions they will ask (besides the generic, "why do you want to be a dentist")?
I've heard they ask about what you do in your free time to get to know you, what you would do with your year if you don't get into dental school this round, they ask about your shadowing or experiences with dentists, etc. Pre health advisors have a good collection of questions usually

Really depends on who your two interviewers are. Each faculty member is unique, I personally didn't get any "off-the-wall" questions, but did however have a very informal interview, more like a conversation over coffee feel to it. I heard others in my applicant group had interviewed with someone who was a Disney fanatic and talked about movies, and someone who asked a Harry Potter/ Hogwarts question, lol...you have to be ready to roll with whatever comes at you. Show that you are a sociable person not just a human textbook.

My boyfriend and I both received interview invites today via phone! My interview is scheduled for November 14th and my boyfriend's interview is October 30th! Any advice would be helpful! :)

I'll be interviewing on October 17th, as well.

Does anyone know how many they interview each day?

I have an interview Nov 14th as well!

I have an interview Nov 14th as well!
Yay!!!!!!

Correction: My boyfriend's interview is October 31st (for the person who commented above and said their interview was October 31st)

Another first year student at MUSC here. Male, in-state, pretty typical applicant. If you have any questions feel free to private message me.

Just had my interview yesterday! Let me know if anyone has any questions.

What kind of questions did they ask?

What made me chose dentistry, what I do in my free time, why their school, what I would do if I didn't get in, why they should choose me over other applicants. Basic questions, nothing tricky. It was incredibly laid-back and conversational.

People that have received interviews: Could you post the date that you submitted your application as well as the date that your interview is? I'm getting a littler curious on the timeline here..

Mailing date was 7/25/14 and my interview is November 14th. My boyfriend submitted his application at the being of September and went to his interview on October 31st.

Mailing date was 7/25/14 and my interview is November 14th. My boyfriend submitted his application at the being of September and went to his interview on October 31st.
Is there any information your boyfriend is willing to share about the interviews?

scloud, it was very conversational. I know a lot of people say that, but it really was. It seemed like they were trying to sell the school just as much as we were trying to sell ourselves. You interview with two different faculty, get a tour of the new clinical building, and have lunch with the admissions committee. Common questions were of course "why dentistry" and then "why MUSC"

My boyfriend can agree with everything @TheUncommonMan said above!! He said it was very casual and conversational! They also asked him "why dentistry" and "why MUSC." He talked to two different people for 30 minutes a piece.

scloud, it was very conversational. I know a lot of people say that, but it really was. It seemed like they were trying to sell the school just as much as we were trying to sell ourselves. You interview with two different faculty, get a tour of the new clinical building, and have lunch with the admissions committee. Common questions were of course "why dentistry" and then "why MUSC"

Thank you so much to both of you!

Any word or indication on whether we will hear on the first? Or will they send the letters on the first and we hear back later?

To my knowledge, MUSC does not contact applicants via phone or email regarding acceptances. My best bet will be to expect an overnight UPS package in early December.

I have a Jan 23 interview! I'm excited but anxious because it is a little late. Does anyone know if it's uncommon for OOS to be accepted to MUSC even though the interview is end of Jamuary?

I have a Jan 23 interview! I'm excited but anxious because it is a little late. Does anyone know if it's uncommon for OOS to be accepted to MUSC even though the interview is end of Jamuary?

Depends on how competitive of an applicant you are.

Who's ready for judgement day?!

Depends on how competitive of an applicant you are.

Who's ready for judgement day?!

Judgement day is so soon! From what I understood though, MUSC mails out packages overnight on Dec 1st and this is the only method of letting applicants know if they were accepted, is this correct?

As far as I know, yes. But Im only a first time applicant.

Hey everyone! With this week upon us, if you get a package, please post the following:

-in state or out of state
-date application submitted
-and date you interviewed.

Thank you and good luck everyone!

So when do you guys think we would get our acceptance packages if they are mailed over night?

Word is that they mail them out on Monday. That would be today, Dec 1st.

Theyre overnighting them, so we should be getting them tomorrow, the 2nd, for IS or later in the week for OOS.

Source: Have lots of friends at MUSC

I just got a text from UPS saying that MUSC has sent a package to me, to be delivered at my house by tomorrow. My question is do they send all responses using UPS or only acceptances? If they only send acceptances using ups I think my monday may have gotten a little better. hahah