****The Official Tufts University Class of 2016 Acceptance Thread****

Can someone give me some feedback on locations to look for a house to rent? I'm moving from Oregon with my wife and two little ones so we are hoping to rent a house instead of an apartment. We will downsize to one car so I'm trying to find a nice family-friendly area that is near the subway/ transit lines so I can commute in. We are hoping to be within 20 minutes of downtown. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone give me some feedback on locations to look for a house to rent? I'm moving from Oregon with my wife and two little ones so we are hoping to rent a house instead of an apartment. We will downsize to one car so I'm trying to find a nice family-friendly area that is near the subway/ transit lines so I can commute in. We are hoping to be within 20 minutes of downtown. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks!

Sounds like somewhere in Malden off the orange line might fit your bill.

Generally along the orange line is solid.

Allston/Brighton perhaps, although there are a few isolated rough areas. Beware that most homes in the area are pretty old and renting a house will be fairly expensive.

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone have any suggestions on apartments?

anyone have any suggestions on apartments?

A lot of people live at the Metropolitan which is next door to the school - however it is pricey and usually you'll need to split between 2-3 people. There's also the Archstone which is even pricier.

Aside from that, the area around the school is rife with apartments - many of them are quite seedy.

I requested to join the group yesterday but haven't gotten response yet. Just letting you know! I'm not sure who is in charge of it. :D

Same - requested to join Thursday, but still no response!

Just mailed in my deposit and forms! Looking forward to this fall! I also requested to join the facebook group but still havent heard anything.

Just mailed in my deposit and forms! Looking forward to this fall! I also requested to join the facebook group but still havent heard anything.

Congratulations! :woot::claps::soexcited:

About the facebook group, just give it a little time. The administrator of the group is not on her facebook a ton and tends to accept people in large bunches. I waited about a week to get into the group. If anyone doesn't want to wait, feel free to pm me. I may be able to add you on facebook and then invite you. Unless you're an administrator, I believe you can only invite in facebook friends. I'm not sure, as I haven't invited anyone in yet. I'd be willing to give a try, though, if anyone is desperate to try to get in there to start looking for a roommate/living suggestions/etc....:thumbup:

Go Jumbos!

Thanks omnipoDent!! I'm so excited for the fall!!! Go Jumbos!! :)

Congratulations! :woot::claps::soexcited:

About the facebook group, just give it a little time. The administrator of the group is not on her facebook a ton and tends to accept people in large bunches. I waited about a week to get into the group. If anyone doesn't want to wait, feel free to pm me. I may be able to add you on facebook and then invite you. Unless you're an administrator, I believe you can only invite in facebook friends. I'm not sure, as I haven't invited anyone in yet. I'd be willing to give a try, though, if anyone is desperate to try to get in there to start looking for a roommate/living suggestions/etc....:thumbup:

Go Jumbos!

Sent you an PM. Yes, I am that desperate. Lol. :laugh:

Is is just me or do Tufts give too little time for submitting everything? I just sent my Certification of Disciplinary Form to my school and according to my school website, it might take a couple weeks to get it sent to tufts. :(

Sent you an PM. Yes, I am that desperate. Lol. :laugh:

Is is just me or do Tufts give too little time for submitting everything? I just sent my Certification of Disciplinary Form to my school and according to my school website, it might take a couple weeks to get it sent to tufts. :(

Yes! There is barely enough time to get all things turned in. I am mailing in my packet with my payment today, then having my school fill out my Disciplinary Form today. Hope they complete it PRONTO.

Ok, so it worked for me to add people. If you want to be added to the class facebook group, feel free to pm me. Just include your name so I can send you a friend request, as I have to be friends with the person in order to add them to the group as a non administrator. :thumbup:

Ok, so it worked for me to add people. If you want to be added to the class facebook group, feel free to pm me. Just include your name so I can send you a friend request, as I have to be friends with the person in order to add them to the group as a non administrator. :thumbup:

PMed

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent my disciplinary history form to my school, and they said it would take 4 weeks to respond. Anyway, I called Tufts and they said to just put in a note in that it would be late.

Does anyone else need like 4 or 5 vaccines? I can't believe how crazy the requirements are! I've always kept mine up to date for high school, college, etc, and I'm still missing a bunch!

This may be a silly question, but do I need a car? Is it ideal to have a car in Boston? Even if I don't plan on driving to school every day, is it beneficial to have one? I've never driven in a big city before, so I'm not sure if I even need one or if I can just use public transportation? What do the majority of out-of-state students tend to do?

Does anyone else need like 4 or 5 vaccines? I can't believe how crazy the requirements are! I've always kept mine up to date for high school, college, etc, and I'm still missing a bunch!
yea i got 5 immunizations in one day and i need to go back for second doses.

This may be a silly question, but do I need a car? Is it ideal to have a car in Boston? Even if I don't plan on driving to school every day, is it beneficial to have one? I've never driven in a big city before, so I'm not sure if I even need one or if I can just use public transportation? What do the majority of out-of-state students tend to do?

A majority of my class did not have a car. Subway or walking will be your main modes of transportation. Having a car is certainly convenient at times, but not a necessity.

A majority of my class did not have a car. Subway or walking will be your main modes of transportation. Having a car is certainly convenient at times, but not a necessity.

This was pretty much the case with my class as well. I was an exception as I lived in Brighton for most of the first year and then Watertown through the rest of my time at Tufts, and I had a car. I loved having a car but I also needed one because most of my outside-school activities (including some of my part time jobs) required a vehicle to get to.

The vast majority of the class lived within two miles of the school near public transport or within walking distance.

Malden is a good/ cheap place to live that you will be able to get to tufts in 20mins.
From malden, you can take the subway and it takes you to the stop called Tufts Medical Center and you'll be right at school.

If you would like to live in a home that is divided into two, (2 or bdrm apts). You can certainly find something for less than 1,200/mo.
The area is a more family area in Malden.

Yo do not need a car in boston. The public transportation is one of the best here. Since the city is not too big and they have a lot of pub trans, you can get where you need no hassle.

I think most OSS don't.

Really wanted to stay in Boston and really wanted to go to Tufts dental; here is my story:

Got accepted to BU Dec 1 (very happy then since at least I have a school to go to in Boston) but still waiting on Tufts for a interview... since u only have a month to secure a spot, I submitted a 3000 deposit to BU towards the end of december. On the SAME DAY a few days later when BU sends me a confirmation email, I got a interview invite from Tufts.

Got accepted to Tufts a week after the interview and definitely going Tufts!

Spent about another week thinking what I could of done with an extra 3 grand...

At least I got a pretty nice water bottle from BU...:oops:

PS: The T is great.. just cover your ears when u step off...

Really wanted to stay in Boston and really wanted to go to Tufts dental; here is my story:

Got accepted to BU Dec 1 (very happy then since at least I have a school to go to in Boston) but still waiting on Tufts for a interview... since u only have a month to secure a spot, I submitted a 3000 deposit to BU towards the end of december. On the SAME DAY a few days later when BU sends me a confirmation email, I got a interview invite from Tufts.

Got accepted to Tufts a week after the interview and definitely going Tufts!

Spent about another week thinking what I could of done with an extra 3 grand...

At least I got a pretty nice water bottle from BU...:oops:

PS: The T is great.. just cover your ears when u step off...

Ha, well it's good you got a water bottle out of it. I never went to BU, but they gave us a nice water bottle up at the Michigan interview. Anyway, it sucks about the 3 grand, but you made the right choice.

Congratulations on getting accepted! :clap:

Last edited:
Wow to lose that three grand! It is a lot of MONEY.

Does anyone know if Tufts will send out emails to let us know that they receive our deposits?

I sent admissions an email asking if they got it and they sent one back a couple hours later saying they did. They are really on top of their stuff and should be able to give you a response soon if you ask them.

Thanks guys! I received an email from Danielle saying that they received my deposit :)

Does anyone know when the first day of classes/orientation is? Or atleast a ballpark date? I'm assuming end of August, but I haven't found anything on their website with this info.

It stinks that orientation is the last week of August but most leases start on sept 1st

I know! I can't believe they do that to us. Finding an apartment in Boston seems hard enough as it is, it will be even harder to get one starting August 1st.
Luckily my brother lives in Boston, so I'll probably live on his couch for about a week. Then I'll have to move in, unpack, etc while classes are going on. At least I have a place to stay if I need one tho.

I know! I can't believe they do that to us. Finding an apartment in Boston seems hard enough as it is, it will be even harder to get one starting August 1st.
Luckily my brother lives in Boston, so I'll probably live on his couch for about a week. Then I'll have to move in, unpack, etc while classes are going on. At least I have a place to stay if I need one tho.

You are indeed lucky. It's going to take some planning, but I'm sure well be able to figure something out. I wonder if there are any leases that start mid August.

The challenge of finding housing for a week will quickly pale to the challenge of dental school. Consider it a warm-up...

You are indeed lucky. It's going to take some planning, but I'm sure well be able to figure something out. I wonder if there are any leases that start mid August.
ive been looking already and have not found a lease that starts in august. ive only found things for sept. finding a place is going to be a headache for sure. admissions said to come around mid-end of june to look for a place.

ive been looking already and have not found a lease that starts in august. ive only found things for sept. finding a place is going to be a headache for sure. admissions said to come around mid-end of june to look for a place.

Worse comes to worse, we can get people to pair up and share a hotel room for a few days.

I actually think staying at a hotel for a couple days will be cheaper than paying one month rent. Just my two cents......:T

Can somebody who is familiar with the Boston area please rank the following locations from most safe to least safe? Thank you!

1. Back Bay
2. Bay Village
3. Beacon Hill
4. Midtown
5. North End
6. South Boston
7. South End
8. Waterfront
9. Charlestwon

Ha, well it's good you got a water bottle out of it. I never went to BU, but they gave us a nice water bottle up at the Michigan interview. Anyway, it sucks about the 3 grand, but you made the right choice.

Congratulations on getting accepted! :clap:

I wasted 3k on a BU deposit as well

I live north of Tufts in Revere with my wife. 2 other first years that are married live there as well as well as 5 second years, 4 third years and 2 fourth years. Most of them have kids. Most 1st and 2nd years aren't married or have children that go to Tufts so they live in downtown. We have enjoyed living at our complex. It is about a 30 minute commute. A bus comes straight to the complex and takes to you the Haymarket station on the orange line, (about 4 stops away from Tufts)

We don't live in a house though, its just a big apartment complex with amenities. So if you're interested you can check out their site.

http://www.alterraoverlook.com/

I wasted 3k on a BU deposit as well

Wow! At least I'm not alone...

So I plan on withdrawing my spot from BU sometimes this week, does anyone have an

idea how to do that? Do I just call the school and say I want to withdraw my app (like for

interview invites) or do I have to like write a letter?

Thanks!

Can somebody who is familiar with the Boston area please rank the following locations from most safe to least safe? Thank you!

1. Back Bay
2. Bay Village
3. Beacon Hill
4. Midtown
5. North End
6. South Boston
7. South End
8. Waterfront
9. Charlestwon

Not an easy question, but I would rate it like this:

Be cautious: Charlestown, South Boston, (Parts of the) South End

Pretty Safe: Bay Village, Back Bay, Midtown, North End

Quite Safe: Beacon Hill, Waterfront

Nonetheless, it's a city. You may get killed in Beacon Hill, but you could also never be bothered in Southie. It's unpredictable, so just be smart. I would say that in any of these places, people who mind their own business usually don't run into trouble.

I have a few questions about housing. Hopefully someone can answer.

1. Is it possible to get a August 1st or mid August lease? Everything seems to start Sept 1st. I really want to move in a few weeks early so that I can get settled before school starts.
2. If I lived in Back Bay more towards the Hynes Convention Center Stop. Do you think that's too far to walk? I think it would be a 30 minute walk. I want to be able to walk to school.

Wow! At least I'm not alone...

So I plan on withdrawing my spot from BU sometimes this week, does anyone have an

idea how to do that? Do I just call the school and say I want to withdraw my app (like for

interview invites) or do I have to like write a letter?

Thanks!

Almost all the schools prefer something in writing; an email should suffice. Give them a call when in doubt. You're welcome.

I have a few questions about housing. Hopefully someone can answer.

1. Is it possible to get a August 1st or mid August lease? Everything seems to start Sept 1st. I really want to move in a few weeks early so that I can get settled before school starts.
2. If I lived in Back Bay more towards the Hynes Convention Center Stop. Do you think that's too far to walk? I think it would be a 30 minute walk. I want to be able to walk to school.

Can you do that when it's 15F with wind chill making it 0F?

I live north of Tufts in Revere with my wife. 2 other first years that are married live there as well as well as 5 second years, 4 third years and 2 fourth years. Most of them have kids. Most 1st and 2nd years aren't married or have children that go to Tufts so they live in downtown. We have enjoyed living at our complex. It is about a 30 minute commute. A bus comes straight to the complex and takes to you the Haymarket station on the orange line, (about 4 stops away from Tufts)

We don't live in a house though, its just a big apartment complex with amenities. So if you're interested you can check out their site.

http://www.alterraoverlook.com/

Thank you for sharing this! That complex looks really nice. I wish they had 3 bedroom units! Dang it.

Does anyone who is a current student know of another good complex that is really close to transportation that offers 3 bedrooms for under $1800? Thanks!

Can you do that when it's 15F with wind chill making it 0F?

What would you say the max distance is for walking? I guess I could walk during the warmer days and take the T when its cold.

I'd say about 1.5 miles would be max walking distance. I feel like it takes forever to walk in a city, since you're always stopping to cross the street. Any farther and you're gonna spend well over an hour a day just walking to and from class. Try google maps and look at walking directions and see how long it takes.