****The Official Tufts University Class of 2016 Acceptance Thread****

I'd say about 1.5 miles would be max walking distance. I feel like it takes forever to walk in a city, since you're always stopping to cross the street. Any farther and you're gonna spend well over an hour a day just walking to and from class. Try google maps and look at walking directions and see how long it takes.

Not playing devil's advocate, but my interviewer said he walked 2 miles to school every day (from South Boston), even in the winter, and he actually considered it his personal time, and his favorite part of the day. It wouldn't be my cup of tea, but it is one extreme, and clearly very feasible.

Members don't see this ad.

welp I forgot to send my deposit and stuff certified so I hope everything is ok

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when we find out about decisions?

They came out today. Wait-listed.

Wow, I'm sorry. I know how well prepared you were for the interview. How do you think it went? I'm sure you're disappointed, but you may still get accepted.:thumbup: It's not over yet.

I just turned down an acceptance, hope that helps one of you

Does anyone know of scholarships for URM?

Last edited:
I was waitlisted today. So what happens now? Do I wait for a letter in the mail?

I was waitlisted as well, but only know this because my AADSAS was updated. Did you get a letter in the mail or e-mail?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have not yet received any formal notification, except for the online update.

You receive a packet in the mail that has all the information for the wait list.

I have not yet received any formal notification, except for the online update.

Chin up buddy. You'll get in somewhere whether it be now or next year. What are your plans going forward?

For the waitlist, how am I supposed to get them the academic discipline form by march 29? Do they have to have it by then or does it have to be submitted to my undergrad school by then?

Thanks! I am not sure yet, but I will definitely reapply!

Does anyone know how many spots are filled / still available?

Hardest email I have ever written but I just withdrew. Hopefully my spot makes someone very happy this week. Good luck guys! :)

Does anyone if the school has its own gym for students? I know that there is a YMCA adjacent to the school, and a Planet Fitness about 0.7 miles away near Govt. Center. Please advice :cool:.

Does anyone if the school has its own gym for students? I know that there is a YMCA adjacent to the school, and a Planet Fitness about 0.7 miles away near Govt. Center. Please advice :cool:.

I remembered them showing us a gym in the building undergound. Otherwise there is a

LA sports club (very high end gym with heated pool) near Tufts dental and a Boston

Sports Club alittle bit futher from Tufts dental

Hope this helps!

I didn't know there were that many options to choose from, but this really helps. Thank you!

Recently sent in my second deposit to Tufts but today just got a call that I am accepted to Western University. Now I've got a decision to make because I'm in Oregon and Western would be a whole lot closer to family...but I know Tufts is a great school. Geesh...this is my fourth year of applying and now I have to choose! Who would have though?:)

Recently sent in my second deposit to Tufts but today just got a call that I am accepted to Western University. Now I've got a decision to make because I'm in Oregon and Western would be a whole lot closer to family...but I know Tufts is a great school. Geesh...this is my fourth year of applying and now I have to choose! Who would have though?:)

wow! that's such an incredible story...really puts into perspective the idea that you never know what may happen.

Just as an opinion b/c I got into Western and BU and chose Western I would say Pomona is a much nicer area to be with family. I noticed in your pre-dents profile that you have kids and I think Boston is a much harder city to raise children in. Pomona is a nice very quaint and safe area and Western is an amazing school! I know Tufts has an excellent curriculum but at the expense of distance from family plus all those flights and the hassle of moving so far away I would just stay close. Best of luck in your decision and hopefully I see you at Western next year! :)

wow! that's such an incredible story...really puts into perspective the idea that you never know what may happen.

Just as an opinion b/c I got into Western and BU and chose Western I would say Pomona is a much nicer area to be with family. I noticed in your pre-dents profile that you have kids and I think Boston is a much harder city to raise children in. Pomona is a nice very quaint and safe area and Western is an amazing school! I know Tufts has an excellent curriculum but at the expense of distance from family plus all those flights and the hassle of moving so far away I would just stay close. Best of luck in your decision and hopefully I see you at Western next year! :)

Thanks! I do appreciate any opinions or thoughts on the matter. I do have two little ones and we have been dreading the idea of moving cross country. How long have you lived in Pamona? You are the first person who referred to it as a safe area. It seems everyone else calls it the "ghetto" and that we should look in Ontario instead?

Thanks! I do appreciate any opinions or thoughts on the matter. I do have two little ones and we have been dreading the idea of moving cross country. How long have you lived in Pamona? You are the first person who referred to it as a safe area. It seems everyone else calls it the "ghetto" and that we should look in Ontario instead?

I myself have never lived in Pomona but I am from Socal and know the area fairly well. When I visted Boston it wasn't necessarily the safest environment, pretty big city and while public transportation is great I don't knwo how often you would frequent that with two children. Pomona has its good and bad areas but so does every city. Ontario is definetely a nicer area and fairly close to the school. Its really a pictersque place and absolutely a Cali-feel if you are into that I also think the weather would be to your benefit

When I decided I really wanted to stay near family. The dental school process is hard enough let alone treading across the country. If you were going alone I would then say maybe Boston but since you have a family then in my honest opinion Pomona is the better choice.

Best of luck in your decision and keep us posted on what you decide!

tcn79, congratulations on your acceptances. :thumbup:

I thought I'd add my two cents.

First, from what I've read about Boston, it seems to be a great city to raise a family. I'd bet that Pomona is the same way. While neither drhygiene nor I have ever lived there, I'm assuming he's right that Pomona has its good and bad areas. I have been up to Boston since the interview and my acceptance. It's a big city, so there are going to be bad areas, but I found most of Boston to be very nice and safe. Family friends that we have in Boston love it, and I think all of the amazing universities being in the Boston area really add a lot of culture to the city. You're hopefully moving and going to dental school, though, in hopes of getting the best dental training. I think considering location is important, but I believe a more important consideration should be the program.

I want to be honest and say I have never seen Western or the Pomona area. Not to be in any way "look at me, look at me", but rather to give some kind of limited credibility to my opinion, I received 10 interview offers, attended 9, Tufts was the fifth school where I was accepted, and I withdrew from the rest upon my acceptance. From what I've seen during interview days and tours I've taken myself, and from the discussions I've had with different people in the dental profession, I believe Tufts offers some of the best clinical preparation and has one of the best facilities in the country. I also believe the faculty at Tufts, those I met at least, are very good. I wouldn't be going there if I didn't. I did not meet enough faculties at other schools, though, that I feel I can give a fair comparison of where Tufts ranks. The school you choose, though, is where you will be spending a large part of your time the next four years, and it will lead and shape you for your future career as a dental professional.

Building on that, I believe there's a benefit to going to a well-established school nationally with a strong alumni network for after you graduate. Tufts University School of Dental Medicine, while obviously holding a different name initially, has been around in some form since 1868. Western has yet to graduate their first class. While I understand that some people would like that opportunity to possibly shape the direction of a new program, personally I think, if possible, it's ideal to go somewhere that has already proven able to produce top dentists.

Obviously, I've chosen Tufts. I want to have our class be as strong as possible, as I think that will help all of us be better. Drhygiene also had made his choice to attend Western, so he obviously hopes you attend there. I bet that Western also has a lot to offer.

Tcn79, sorry for the novel. I've just followed your situation along the way. Now, if you hear from OHSU, I think that's a much different discussion. By the way, I'm not saying that I believe Western is a bad school. I'm simply trying to highlight the points of Tufts that I think help it to stand out from many other schools. I'd like to point out that I have told people in other situations that certain school comparisons (including those involving Tufts) are not no-brainers. I've even told people when I believed another school was a better option for them than Tufts, but I believe in this is comparison Tufts is definitely the better choice. In the end, though, the best choice is the one you believe best fits you and your family. Best of luck with your decision.

You should be hired as a senior recruiter for Tufts, omnipoDent :)

So which schools did you interview with, if you don't mind my asking?

You should be hired as a senior recruiter for Tufts, omnipoDent :)

So which schools did you interview with, if you don't mind my asking?

Ha, thanks, woolloo.

I will send you a pm with the information about the schools where I interviewed.

Last edited:
tcn79, congratulations on your acceptances. :thumbup:

I thought I'd add my two cents.

First, from what I've read about Boston, it seems to be a great city to raise a family. I'd bet that Pomona is the same way. While neither drhygiene nor I have ever lived there, I'm assuming he's right that Pomona has its good and bad areas. I have been up to Boston since the interview and my acceptance. It's a big city, so there are going to be bad areas, but I found most of Boston to be very nice and safe. Family friends that we have in Boston love it, and I think all of the amazing universities being in the Boston area really add a lot of culture to the city. You're hopefully moving and going to dental school, though, in hopes of getting the best dental training. I think considering location is important, but I believe a more important consideration should be the program.

I want to be honest and say I have never seen Western or the Pomona area. Not to be in any way "look at me, look at me", but rather to give some kind of limited credibility to my opinion, I received 10 interview offers, attended 9, Tufts was the fifth school where I was accepted, and I withdrew from the rest upon my acceptance. From what I've seen during interview days and tours I've taken myself, and from the discussions I've had with different people in the dental profession, I believe Tufts offers some of the best clinical preparation and has one of the best facilities in the country. I also believe the faculty at Tufts, those I met at least, are very good. I wouldn't be going there if I didn't. I did not meet enough faculties at other schools, though, that I feel I can give a fair comparison of where Tufts ranks. The school you choose, though, is where you will be spending a large part of your time the next four years, and it will lead and shape you for your future career as a dental professional.

Building on that, I believe there's a benefit to going to a well-established school nationally with a strong alumni network for after you graduate. Tufts University School of Dental Medicine, while obviously holding a different name initially, has been around in some form since 1868. Western has yet to graduate their first class. While I understand that some people would like that opportunity to possibly shape the direction of a new program, personally I think, if possible, it's ideal to go somewhere that has already proven able to produce top dentists.

Obviously, I've chosen Tufts. I want to have our class be as strong as possible, as I think that will help all of us be better. Drhygiene also had made his choice to attend Western, so he obviously hopes you attend there. I bet that Western also has a lot to offer.

Tcn79, sorry for the novel. I've just followed your situation along the way. Now, if you hear from OHSU, I think that's a much different discussion. By the way, I'm not saying that I believe Western is a bad school. I'm simply trying to highlight the points of Tufts that I think help it to stand out from many other schools. I'd like to point out that I have told people in other situations that certain school comparisons (including those involving Tufts) are not no-brainers. I've even told people when I believed another school was a better option for them than Tufts, but I believe in this is comparison Tufts is definitely the better choice. In the end, though, the best choice is the one you believe best fits you and your family. Best of luck with your decision.

I generally agree with omnipodent however the reason I suggest Western>Tufts in this instance is because tcn79 has children and I think it would be easier for him to stay closer to home. Furthermore, I think its a big move and his kids will grow up and possibly it'd be easier to just study at Western--which is still a pretty reputable school although its in its beginning stages--and once he graduates he would be able to be closer to family etc without the hassles of another "big move". That's just my opinion.

Tufts is an incredible institution but ultimately each dental school offers each applicant something different. Western has an amazing clinical program as well with lots of opportunities in the greater Southern California area and since tcn79 is from Oregon and mentioned having family in CA I think this is highly favorable. I don't think reputation of a dental school is more important than other factors and while the training at Tufts is superb other dental schools provide much of the same. Dental schools are all held to the same standard and all are truly amazing schools...other factors like location, cost and possibly specialty placement are more important factors.

Along those lines, Tufts is also quite pricey if I remember and with kids this may not be the best route for tcn79, either way I'm sure he is talking to his wife and family and making a decision. I am not trying to sway him in any way but more listing my opinion for anyone else at present or in the future who may be in a similar situation. Best of luck to you omnipodent and tcn79 either way we are lifelong colleagues in an excellent field :)

The tuition for Western and Tufts is about the same. I'm familiar with both SoCal and Boston, and I feel like drhygiene and oimnipoDent bring up good points but they're also very biased. Both cities I'm sure are fine to raise a family in. I wouldn't say Pomona is an exceptionally safe city but Boston also has its good an bad parts. It definitely would be more difficult and more expensive to move cross country. I think in any California city you would do much more driving compared to in Boston where there isn't much parking, but better public transportation. It was a huge change for me to move here to the East Coast and it takes a while to get used to. I do love the area and I think that you could find a place that would be comfortable for your family. Remember that you could live in the suburbs around Boston, it doesn't have to be in the city. The main factors that I think it comes down to is ease of moving/time spent traveling back and forth and which school you prefer. I will say that the 6 hr flight cross country gets old quick.

I generally agree with omnipodent however the reason I suggest Western>Tufts in this instance is because tcn79 has children and I think it would be easier for him to stay closer to home. Furthermore, I think its a big move and his kids will grow up and possibly it'd be easier to just study at Western--which is still a pretty reputable school although its in its beginning stages--and once he graduates he would be able to be closer to family etc without the hassles of another "big move". That's just my opinion.

Tufts is an incredible institution but ultimately each dental school offers each applicant something different. Western has an amazing clinical program as well with lots of opportunities in the greater Southern California area and since tcn79 is from Oregon and mentioned having family in CA I think this is highly favorable. I don't think reputation of a dental school is more important than other factors and while the training at Tufts is superb other dental schools provide much of the same. Dental schools are all held to the same standard and all are truly amazing schools...other factors like location, cost and possibly specialty placement are more important factors.

Along those lines, Tufts is also quite pricey if I remember and with kids this may not be the best route for tcn79, either way I'm sure he is talking to his wife and family and making a decision. I am not trying to sway him in any way but more listing my opinion for anyone else at present or in the future who may be in a similar situation. Best of luck to you omnipodent and tcn79 either way we are lifelong colleagues in an excellent field :)

Obviously, we disagree on some of the points, but I understand that not everyone is going to share the same opinion. I think it's good to see both sides, though. I did want to point out that the total costs are basically identical. That was the reason I did not mention costs.

Western total estimated cost: $373,690

http://www.westernu.edu/financial-budgets-dentistry

Tufts total estimated cost: $377,598

http://dental.tufts.edu/1206352803734/TUSDM-Page-dental2w_1186496760474.html

Last edited:
Obviously, we disagree on some of the points, but I understand that not everyone is going to share the same opinion. I think it's good to see both sides, though. I did want to point out that the total costs are basically identical. That was the reason I did not mention costs.

Western total estimated cost: $373,690

http://www.westernu.edu/financial-budgets-dentistry

Tufts total estimated cost: $377,598

http://dental.tufts.edu/1206352803734/TUSDM-Page-dental2w_1186496760474.html

hmmm omnipodent I stand corrected. touche! I thought Tufts was somewhere in the mid-$400,000 range, but they appear to both be very similar. Nonetheless, I wish tcn79 the best of luck with his decision and whatever he deems right for himself! Thanks for the enlightening evidence :)

Wow! Who knew I'd create such a debate? J/k. Honestly though, I really appreciate any and all opinions. I think both Omnipodent and Drhygiene make excellent points. We're still talking and trying to decide but I think we're leaning towards Western, not just because of location and being near family. :) I really felt like they have an excellent program and one that I will succeed in.

But really, thank you guys so much. It's very humbling that I've never met any of you and you have taken the time to share your opinions and pour your hearts out over the matter. This could be one of the most important decisions I make in life and it really means a lot to have you guys put so much effort into helping us make the best decision for our family.

It's certainly going to be hard to give up a seat at Tufts!

Wow! Who knew I'd create such a debate? J/k. Honestly though, I really appreciate any and all opinions. I think both Omnipodent and Drhygiene make excellent points. We're still talking and trying to decide but I think we're leaning towards Western, not just because of location and being near family. :) I really felt like they have an excellent program and one that I will succeed in.

But really, thank you guys so much. It's very humbling that I've never met any of you and you have taken the time to share your opinions and pour your hearts out over the matter. This could be one of the most important decisions I make in life and it really means a lot to have you guys put so much effort into helping us make the best decision for our family.

It's certainly going to be hard to give up a seat at Tufts!

tcn79, no need to thank you! just trying to help a future colleague out! I wish you the best of luck and if you do choose Western I look forward to seeing you in the fall! :)

Just to throw a wrench into the works, the city of Boston around the downtown area where the school is located is not exactly the best place to raise a family. Saying that Boston is a good place to raise a family is like saying NYC is a nice place to raise a family. Most people in my class lived further out in the suburbs around Boston and commuted into town to go to school. Downtown city life is pretty hectic and with all the hustle and bustle, I wouldn't want my family there. Don't get me wrong, Boston is a great city. I plan on moving back one day. I would just rather live in the burbs and commute in for work/play.

A spot just opened up..

I withdrew my acceptance today since I got into my state school. Its a shame though because I was looking forward to living in Boston.

Any movement? Has anyone been accepted off of the wait list?

As soon as all my paperwork gets processed and completed by Western, I'll be withdrawing my seat so I'll be sure to let you all know when that happens. Good luck to those waiting to get in! I'm sure Tufts is an amazing school. :)

Withdrew my seat this morning. Good luck to everyone!