***The Official UPenn Class of 2020 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Weakfart

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Saw there wasn't a thread for Penn yet, but they're the first school to cash my check even though I sent their letter out last lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where exactly is the supplemental? The email I got today says its on www.dental.upenn.edu but can't find it. Thanks for the help.

Go to their page about admissions information, then just Cntrl+F "Secondary" and you'll see a download link!

Question about supplemental: I just found out yesterday that we were supposed to send in the supplemental + application fee ASAP with our AADSAS (woops). Is there a time period when it'll be considered "too late", even though our primary went through as first batch? I ask because I just started work FT, so I might only be able to work on it bit by bit or next weekend.

Reactions: 1 user
Go to their page about admissions information, then just Cntrl+F "Secondary" and you'll see a download link!

Question about supplemental: I just found out yesterday that we were supposed to send in the supplemental + application fee ASAP with our AADSAS (woops). Is there a time period when it'll be considered "too late", even though our primary went through as first batch? I ask because I just started work FT, so I might only be able to work on it bit by bit or next weekend.

Just send it in ASAP. I suppose they will not consider it complete until they get the fee and supplemental.

So how are you guys approaching the first question on the supplemental? and how long should they be :(? just generally....

These questions are difficult haha

So how are you guys approaching the first question on the supplemental? and how long should they be :(? just generally....

These questions are difficult haha
Check out last years thread on it, it has pretty good info. I didn't have any experience not listed so I just did the best I could. Total it was about 2 pages double spaced. That was the hardest question out of all the supplemental I've done though haha.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello, this is my first post on sdn! I have a quick question about the supplemental essays. I understand that questions 1 and 4 are specifically related to dentistry. But for questions 2 and 3 that ask about things I wish to change about my undergrad experience and things I am most proud of in my life, I feel more comfortable writing about non-dental experiences. Should my answers to all four questions be dentistry-related? Or can they be something totally not related to dentistry?

:(:(

Hello, this is my first post on sdn! I have a quick question about the supplemental essays. I understand that questions 1 and 4 are specifically related to dentistry. But for questions 2 and 3 that ask about things I wish to change about my undergrad experience and things I am most proud of in my life, I feel more comfortable writing about non-dental experiences. Should my answers to all four questions be dentistry-related? Or can they be something totally not related to dentistry?

:(:(

Hey, you can write about anything for questions 2 and 3, they do not have to be related to dentistry from what I understood.

Has anyone from 2nd batch receive any email from Penn? :(

Members don't see this ad :)

I got an email yesterday telling me that my application was complete.
I sent my supplement Monday and it was received Wednesday.

Good luck!

Check out last years thread on it, it has pretty good info. I didn't have any experience not listed so I just did the best I could. Total it was about 2 pages double spaced. That was the hardest question out of all the supplemental I've done though haha.

I didn't have any experience that wasn't already listed either, so I just wrote something like "please see aadsas application" (obviously in better terms lol). Is that going to look bad?? It said not to repeat anything so I didn't want to rewrite my experiences or worse, make something up D:

I didn't have any experience that wasn't already listed either, so I just wrote something like "please see aadsas application" (obviously in better terms lol). Is that going to look bad?? It said not to repeat anything so I didn't want to rewrite my experiences or worse, make something up D:

I did the same.

That is true but it also says "If you do not have any predental experience, please indicate what you plan to do in order to explore dentistry as a career prior to matriculation" so I am writing what I am going to do to prepare myself for dental school such as shadowing varieties of specialties.

That is true but it also says "If you do not have any predental experience, please indicate what you plan to do in order to explore dentistry as a career prior to matriculation" so I am writing what I am going to do to prepare myself for dental school such as shadowing varieties of specialties.

It means if you don't have any pre-dental experience that you haven't already listed in your AADSAS app. They didn't want repetition. I had 180 hours of shadowing experience under various dentists that I put under the "dental experience" section of my app in ADEA but I just didn't have additional experience that wasn't already listed.

It means if you don't have any pre-dental experience that you haven't already listed in your AADSAS app. They didn't want repetition. I had 180 hours of shadowing experience under various dentists that I put under the "dental experience" section of my app in ADEA but I just didn't have additional experience that wasn't already listed.

Well I guess it's little bit different in my case. I didn't have any other specialty dentists to shadow during my years in college and I would like to shadow the year prior to matriculation. I know that some applicants from last year did expand on their dental experiences that were already listed on AADSAS, although they have said not to. And I understood it as "what can you do to prepare yourself better in this field".

I guess the question can mean different things to different people.

Well I guess it's little bit different in my case. I didn't have any other specialty dentists to shadow during my years in college and I would like to shadow the year prior to matriculation. I know that some applicants from last year did expand on their dental experiences that were already listed on AADSAS, although they have said not to. And I understood it as "what can you do to prepare yourself better in this field".

I guess the question can mean different things to different people.
"Do not include, expand, or repeat information" Last year's supplemental didn't say expand, but this year's does. I think this question just means that unless you are doing something new from the time of submission to matriculation, leave it blank (or say everything's on AADSAS).

Only the letter, nothing about my application though.

I'm in second batch and received an update on my application on 7/14 at about 9:30 am to say that they've received my completed application. You should probably getting an email sometime soon if you haven't already :) FYI:

"Please note that the UPSDM does not use the AADSAS portal to notify applicants regarding status changes. (mine says "waiting additional info" and I assume it'll stay this way)

Should the Admissions Committee grant you an invitation for a personal interview in Philadelphia, you will be contacted via email and U.S. mail. We will extend interview invitations from early August through February. Interviews will be conducted from September through early March."
(so. much. waiting.... okay not really, just feels like forever lol)

Just got an email from UPenn regarding the process of my application!

I'm in second batch and received an update on my application on 7/14 at about 9:30 am to say that they've received my completed application. You should probably getting an email sometime soon if you haven't already :) FYI:

"Please note that the UPSDM does not use the AADSAS portal to notify applicants regarding status changes. (mine says "waiting additional info" and I assume it'll stay this way)

Should the Admissions Committee grant you an invitation for a personal interview in Philadelphia, you will be contacted via email and U.S. mail. We will extend interview invitations from early August through February. Interviews will be conducted from September through early March."
(so. much. waiting.... okay not really, just feels like forever lol)
When did you send your secondary? I just expressed mine today, so hopefully it wouldn't take too long to hear back from UPenn.

@FeralisExtremum if you get an interview let me take you out to lunch as a thank you for those bomb notes.

Anyone else have their check cashed even though their AADSAS application wasn't complete? (I haven't had my grades verified yet)

Anyone else have their check cashed even though their AADSAS application wasn't complete? (I haven't had my grades verified yet)

The people who cash the check probably just put your name ir AADSAS number on a list and don't even care. You send them money they will take it even if they are about to press the reject button.

Application status changed from "Received/Application Complete" to "Received/Under Review" today.
Second batch, supplemental received by Penn on 7/14

My app was mailed out in the 2nd batch, and I still haven't submitted my secondary to Penn. Do you guys think I'm so late now that it's not even worth sending it in? I lost motivation to work on this secondary because I feel like now it's too late...so I keep procrastinating even more.

I think you should still do it. There are many people who haven't even gotten their app sent out.

But I agree, their supplemental is....ugh

My app was mailed out in the 2nd batch, and I still haven't submitted my secondary to Penn. Do you guys think I'm so late now that it's not even worth sending it in? I lost motivation to work on this secondary because I feel like now it's too late...so I keep procrastinating even more.
Come on, it's still pretty early.

I agree, it's not even August yet, technically.

Hey everyone! I'll be a D1 this year (so pumped!), and I'll also try to help or answer any questions regarding the app/interview process at Penn. Best of luck!

Just submitted aadsas 2 days ago. Later batch but oh well, im taking the DAT in 2 weeks and hopefully I crush it to have a chance at penn!

Based on last years thread shouldn't the first interview invites be coming out soon?

Based on last years thread shouldn't the first interview invites be coming out soon?
I thought they'd be out like yesterday. Guess we'll see next week?

Just got an invite. Email requested I call the office of admissions to schedule interview. They interview on Thursday and Friday and she said I was the first one to call.
School: University of Pennsylvania
Notification date: 8/7/15
Interview date: 9/18/15
Method of notification: email
Residency: TX
TMDSAS mail-out date: 6/16/15
Application received date/s: 6/16/15
GPA (bcpm, overall): 3.72, 3.63
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 23/23/22/27/no

Reactions: 4 users
School: University of Pennsylvania
Notification date: 8/7/15
Interview date: 9/11/15
Method of notification: email
Residency: SC
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/25/15
Application received date/s: 7/9/15
GPA (science, overall): 3.93, 3.96
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20/19/21/24/no

Last edited:
Yall killin me right now... Good luck though!

I got an invite post December so everybody keep that in mind if you dont hear anything for like 7 months lol

Reactions: 6 users
I got an invite post December so everybody keep that in mind if you dont hear anything for like 7 months lol

I'm not one to usually fall for advertising, but their brochure they sent really left an impression on me and bumped them far up my list. Already very anxious to get an invite!!

How soon after mailing out your supplemental did they receive it and your application turn to complete?

My app has been mailed out but I haven't sent the supplemental yet so kinda freaking out eek
Please ease my worries! Lol

How soon after mailing out your supplemental did they receive it and your application turn to complete?

My app has been mailed out but I haven't sent the supplemental yet so kinda freaking out eek
I mailed out my supplemental on 6/19, my app was mailed out on 7/2, and Penn emailed stating my app was complete on 7/10. I hope this helps! Don't worry; just try to mail out your supp as soon as you can, maybe no more than a week from your mail out date!:happy:

I did next day arrival for mailing option, and I received the application complete email the day they received it.