The Official VCU Dental Class of 2019 Interview/Acceptance Thread

Hey everyone, congrats to all that have received acceptances! I am also on the alternate list and I am trying to remain optimistic. For those of you who have been accepted off the alternate list, were you in or out of state?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, congrats to all that have received acceptances! I am also on the alternate list and I am trying to remain optimistic. For those of you who have been accepted off the alternate list, were you in or out of state?

I'm OOS

Reactions: 1 user
YAY MAROON!!!!!!!!!!! So excited! :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got pulled off the wait list!!! I'm super pumped. OOS male

Reactions: 3 users
Did anyone receive an email reaffirming their alternate list position?

Does anyone know anything about this laptop we have to buy? (when/where/how we acquire it...what it's like...etc)

I was wondering the same thing

I believe it is a dell that comes pre loaded with all the software we need. I think we buy it through the school which probably means we get it during/around orientation, but I could be wrong on that. It's a dell, so idk how reliable it is...

Members don't see this ad :)
So is the first day of orientation July 28th? When do we find out more? I can't wait!

So is the first day of orientation July 28th? When do we find out more? I can't wait!

I thought it was July 27th...Also if I can recall I think the email said we should find more in May? The silence is killing me! I dunno how people who got in on Dec 1st managed to wait all this while :p

Reactions: 3 users
Got the email around 11:30PM last night but saw it this morning. Got accepted from the alternate list (IN-STATE :soexcited:)! Can't wait to meet everybody!

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if we can plan on working that (very short) summer between 1st and 2nd year, or is that really Board study time? I'm playing with last years budget and the money I could earn during that time would sure help a lot! BTW I spoke to Ms. Gillingham @ financial aid and she said we should be getting a budget "mid May" (which is to say, you realize our tuition may be higher than what we were shown before :(

Does anyone know if we can plan on working that (very short) summer between 1st and 2nd year, or is that really Board study time? I'm playing with last years budget and the money I could earn during that time would sure help a lot! BTW I spoke to Ms. Gillingham @ financial aid and she said we should be getting a budget "mid May" (which is to say, you realize our tuition may be higher than what we were shown before :(
Does anyone know what the tuition is per year? Or at least an approximate? Thanks!!

Does anyone know what the tuition is per year? Or at least an approximate? Thanks!!
According to the blue budget sheet handed out on interview day, last year in state tuition was $32,010, total cost of attendance $82,765. Out of state $56,405 and $107,772.

Congrats! Wonder why they were up that late lol
Seems like several emails from them that were group emails came late at night. Must be an auto setting?

I was wondering the same thing and was planning to work. I probably would have to :(

It's only 6 weeks. I hope it's not study time b/c the money would really help out a lot!

Are we supposed to be getting any sort of packet of information any time soon (orientation stuff, financial stuff, etc)? Or will that not be for a while? When I accepted I gave an updated address and they made it seem like I would receive something at some point.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
As a forewarning, instate tuition is only $32,000 but VCU has a lot of hidden fees. I thought it wouldn't be very much to attend but the four years is projected to cost around $310,000 for instate and $410,000 for out of state. It was crazy to me that tuition was that low and all of the fees/supplies/living for the school brought it about $80,000 a year.

Reactions: 1 users
As a forewarning, instate tuition is only $32,000 but VCU has a lot of hidden fees. I thought it wouldn't be very much to attend but the four years is projected to cost around $310,000 for instate and $410,000 for out of state. It was crazy to me that tuition was that low and all of the fees/supplies/living for the school brought it about $80,000 a year.

ugh, i had the same realization. on a different note, have y'all seen this? it's not up to date for us but still gives an idea of the class and exam schedules over the four years: http://www.dentistry.vcu.edu/programs/schedules/

Uh....how much are you expecting to gross in 6 weeks to somehow offset $45,000+ in tuition + ~$15,000 in cost of living?

I feel this...I spent the last year scrimping at my barely-paid internship, walking to work, swore off movie tickets, and living on expired food from the ACME store that I got for free (don't ask)...and now it's like great, I was able to save up a couple of $k, which in the face of that $300k terror is like micturating into Hurricane Katrina.

Just as an FYI for everyone, I received an email a few days ago that scholarship applications for VCU are open now until May 31st. As incoming D1's, we can only apply for a handful of them but if you're in need of financial assistance it is a good place to look! https://reflections.dentistry.vcu.edu/scholarships

Wow... met with admissions today and found out the single only reason I never got an interview is because I focused so much of my AADSAS application on my research I neglected putting down my community service. I feel like such an idiot :bang:, I thought the amount of work I put into my research would offset the <50 hours of community service, so I didn't bother putting it down and didn't think it was as important. If I don't get accepted off of NYU's waitlist, see you guys next year hopefully.

Wow... met with admissions today and found out the single only reason I never got an interview is because I focused so much of my AADSAS application on my research I neglected putting down my community service. I feel like such an idiot :bang:, I thought the amount of work I put into my research would offset the <50 hours of community service, so I didn't bother putting it down and didn't think it was as important. If I don't get accepted off of NYU's waitlist, see you guys next year hopefully.

I am sorry to hear that. At least now you know. I hope things work out for you and you end up where you really want to be, whether that's here or NYU.

Does anyone know when the fall tuition payment is due, even just an estimated date based on last year? (I'm currently applying for outside scholarships, and wondering if their award dates will be before tuition payment time)

Does anyone know when the fall tuition payment is due, even just an estimated date based on last year? (I'm currently applying for outside scholarships, and wondering if their award dates will be before tuition payment time)

Go to page 4, under billing: http://www.enrollment.vcu.edu/media...counting/docs/14-15TuitionFeesSchedule(2).pdf. I believe that second paragraph will apply to your situation too. Just curious, what outside scholarships are you applying to?

Also, Karen in financial aid said we'll receive the rest of our loan money "the first week of school" but I'm not sure if she means orientation week or the first full week - just to keep in mind for August rent money/first few weeks of expenses. I feel like we should have had a financial aid talk during the interview...

Uh....how much are you expecting to gross in 6 weeks to somehow offset $45,000+ in tuition + ~$15,000 in cost of living?
Gross? $12,000-$15,000.

Thanks joidevivre! I applied for the NHSC scholarship (and some random dumb ones on the internet that I don't really have any expectations for).

Also WTN, dang, high rolling there...I need to find myself a job that pays that well lol

Heck with dental school. Sign me up for that job
Except US News 2015 ranked Dentistry #1 (for a lot of good reasons) and that job #53. One spot behind nail tech.
And actually that's not a lot of money in six weeks compared to a self-employed dentist. It is about comparable to a hygienist.

Except US News 2015 ranked Dentistry #1 (for a lot of good reasons) and that job #53. One spot behind nail tech.
And actually that's not a lot of money in six weeks compared to a self-employed dentist. It is about comparable to a hygienist.
Had to look that one up. I say if you think you won't feel burnt out not having any break between d1 and d2, go for it.

I need to see the exact color of maroon to buy shoes. It's not on the bookstore's website.

wait...is my math wrong on this? $12-15k / 6 weeks = $2 - 2.5k / week = $100-125k/year. US News puts dentists at a comparable $105k-146k and hygienists lower down at $59k-85k. (http://money.usnews.com/careers/best-jobs/rankings)

I guess it varies a lot by region though (general cost of living, nature of the practice, and how crowded the dental field is in your area)

wait...is my math wrong on this? $12-15k / 6 weeks = $2 - 2.5k / week = $100-125k/year. US News puts dentists at a comparable $105k-146k and hygienists lower down at $59k-85k. (http://money.usnews.com/careers/best-jobs/rankings)

I guess it varies a lot by region though (general cost of living, nature of the practice, and how crowded the dental field is in your area)

Yes, in DC I can earn about $2 - 2.5K a week, but that's working 70 - 80 hour weeks. It's temp work though so it really can't be annualized and the jobs with that much overtime are not always available (though there are a lot more of them now that the economy is picking up)

All the self-employed general dentists I've shadowed and chatted with about the details of their income in the DC area make 300k-600k working 25-40 hours a week. And yes, it is local market. A root canal is $1200 in Baltimore but $1600 in DC, because it just is.

The hygienists in DC make in the 70s-80s. So yea, if annualized what I can make temping here would exceed a hygienist, but it's never annualized. If I'm REALLY lucky and land the right gig in those six weeks, that's what I'll make. But the work is mind numbing and soul crushing and the hours are insane.

The same work 40 hours a week with no overtime, if annualized, would be a $60,000 a year job.

Just as an FYI for everyone, I received an email a few days ago that scholarship applications for VCU are open now until May 31st. As incoming D1's, we can only apply for a handful of them but if you're in need of financial assistance it is a good place to look! https://reflections.dentistry.vcu.edu/scholarships

Did you already apply and submit your essay? You should be eligible for more than that, unless you are not a VA resident. I am eligible for 23 and I did not check intend to practice in rural or underserved area or SW/Sside VA. We are eligible for any that say "dental student" or "current D1".

Did you already apply and submit your essay? You should be eligible for more than that, unless you are not a VA resident. I am eligible for 23 and I did not check intend to practice in rural or underserved area or SW/Sside VA. We are eligible for any that say "dental student" or "current D1".

I'm not a VA resident, but I also have an HPSP scholarship so I didn't really look into it. I mostly just browsed it and posted it here. Good for everyone to know there are lots of options!