The Support Group - A place for admissions-related rants and worries.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I liked to travel in my previous life (with money.) I also dislike paying more than I have to for an airline ticket. Tuesday evenings are usually the best time for cheap tickets, BTW... :)

Yeah I know the Tuesday thing but I'm very nervous to wait another 2 days :scared:. And it actually was from two different computers... :( I will try again though!

Members don't see this ad.

i don't know if this is really the place to rant about this...but it is the support group right? :rolleyes:

i'm having an extremely difficult time trying to decide where i will end up next year. if i choose penn, i will be saving $1800 NOW (bc i won't have to take my orgo lab II or biochemistry course this semester). on the other hand, i will be voluntarily choosing OOS tuition and increasing my debt much more (already in about $40,000 debt from UG). essentially, my heart says Penn my brain says no.

i haven't even received an interview invite from VA-MD...but I have to pay for my classes in the next week or so and have to start going over the material. i just don't know what to do. it is very frustrating. i really love penn and would love to be there.

as a side note, there is currently someone at Penn right now (1st year) who i don't get along with and i know said person is in a class above me, but it still bothers me that we'll be at the same institution...

i don't even know what advice i'm looking for. just needed somewhere to talk about it...it's even worse that my entire family is pressuring me to just go to penn, it's almost like they don't realize how much debt i will be in after i graduate.

:smack::shrug::bang::annoyed::beat::boom: :diebanana:

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't know if this is really the place to rant about this...but it is the support group right? :rolleyes:

i'm having an extremely difficult time trying to decide where i will end up next year. if i choose penn, i will be saving $1800 NOW (bc i won't have to take my orgo lab II or biochemistry course this semester). on the other hand, i will be voluntarily choosing OOS tuition and increasing my debt much more (already in about $40,000 debt from UG). essentially, my heart says Penn my brain says no.

i haven't even received an interview invite from VA-MD...but I have to pay for my classes in the next week or so and have to start going over the material. i just don't know what to do. it is very frustrating. i really love penn and would love to be there.

as a side note, there is currently someone at Penn right now (1st year) who i don't get along with and i know said person is in a class above me, but it still bothers me that we'll be at the same institution...

i don't even know what advice i'm looking for. just needed somewhere to talk about it...it's even worse that my entire family is pressuring me to just go to penn, it's almost like they don't realize how much debt i will be in after i graduate.

With any luck, VMRCVM will send interview invitations via e-mail this week... maybe even tomorrow! Sit tight! (I know, you probably want to punch me for that suggestion, but I mean it nicely haha. I'm waiting to hear from them, too!)

Here's what I would do: Start reviewing the material and going to your classes but don't pay for them until you absolutely must. That gives a little bit of time for VMRCVM to come through with an interview invitation :xf:. Sure, you could lose a few hours of your time studying/attending class before deciding that you don't need to take it. Even if you DO pay for the classes but end up going to VMRCVM, $1800 is a drop in the bucket compared to saving over $80k in tuition if you choose your in-state over Penn. Besides, taking those classes now might help give you a foundation for vet school.

Don't get me wrong - I totally understand you not wanting to waste your time and $1800 - that's no small chunk of change (I just spent $1300 out of pocket this fall to take a class, so I know how you feel). However, in the grand scheme of things, it becomes much less of a loss.

Best of luck!!

I have not looked into Penn, but is there no way to eventually get residency after attending? Other than that, equiate made great suggestions. Hang in there :luck:

Penn OOS tuition is $203,474
VA/MD IS tuition is $92,495

Cost of living added in, Penn $320,994, VAMD $166,371

I would say the choice is clear in terms of debt. If you can pay the $1,800 now without major hardship, do it. When you get in to VA/MD it will STILL be $109,179 cheaper than attending Penn.

Did I really just spend 3 hours on my organic chemistry lab, trying to make it perfect?
Yes.
Did I really manage to find a study buddy after 3 years of trying to find a study buddy and/or tutor during my undergrad?
YES.

I need to erase that super low organic chemistry mark from my vet school application in order to have a shot at next year's application.

Penn OOS tuition is $203,474
VA/MD IS tuition is $92,495

Cost of living added in, Penn $320,994, VAMD $166,371

I would say the choice is clear in terms of debt. If you can pay the $1,800 now without major hardship, do it. When you get in to VA/MD it will STILL be $109,179 cheaper than attending Penn.

Oach, both places are $$. Defiantly though, I think an extra semester of chem in this case wins out.

FTB has it, sunnex - stay in the classes an assume that VA-MD will fall all over themselves to have you since, well... all the other schools have so far? And you're awesome? P much.

thanks for the advice so far you guys...still not sure mehhhhhh :boom:

on another note...i'm feeling sick from all the strawberries and nutella i've been eating...i tend to stress eat :help::barf:

Not even a question. I'm with these guys though, make plans for VA-MD. Right now you have Penn on the brain, but maybe things will change once you get an interview at your IS.
:thumbup: Agree!!
Did I really just spend 3 hours on my organic chemistry lab, trying to make it perfect?
Yes.
Did I really manage to find a study buddy after 3 years of trying to find a study buddy and/or tutor during my undergrad?
YES.

I need to erase that super low organic chemistry mark from my vet school application in order to have a shot at next year's application.

YAY! Go, Trema, go, go, Trema! The work will pay off!

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed with all of the above, sunnex. $1800 now is nothing in the scheme of things... Plus, you don't want to limit your options by not taking these classes. What if you change your mind in the next month and you've already dropped the courses? That could be heartbreaking for you! All the love and support your way! :biglove:

Sunnex - I'm thinking that, once you take the course and get it over with, you'll be very glad you did because a little work now will save you big bucks down the line. It's harder now because you haven't taken the course yet, so it's extra work to do which is never fun. Once it's behind you, though, you can feel good about it going to your IS school for far less money.

Kaydubs: you are like a ray of sunshine on a cloudy day. :)

Ok, so I am saying goodbye for the day. I am driving myself INSANE checking this forum and my email every 15 seconds (and I only wish I was exaggerating). I am going to get lunch, my interview pants hemmed, and then come back and check my email. I can't sit here and watch people get UF interviews and get all pessimistic assuming that if ONE person got one and I didn't yet, that it's all over for me :scared:. (I'm just crazy like that). Enjoy your day everyone... hopefully I will be on to post some good news later! :D

Update on my overloaded schedule:

I had my hours and responsibilities rearranged at job #2. My supervisor was very nice and said I could finish up the project I'm working on at the own pace and I don't have to worry about other lab duties. So that's 12-20 hours per week cut down to 2-3 hours. This way I can still do research and get some publication credits.

Job #1 is still on but some days I can work from home which will save about 2 hours commute time. I decided to volunteer max 8 hours per week at the animal hospital. School is still the same but my classes are relatively easy (except biochemistry, maybe).

My schedule is still very busy, but it's not overwhelming anymore :thumbup:

Ok that didn't take long, I'm BAAACCK with good news! FL Interview! WAHOOOOO!!!! :soexcited::highfive::clap::nod::woot::claps::banana::biglove:

Ok sorry for being positive on this thread.... let's all get back to our normal complaining ;):p.... I'll start.... starting to get depressed about Auburn... :confused:

There are so many things I wish I knew before applying.. a Masters WILL NOT help you. Unless you have a great undergrad GPA. Vet schools DO NOT care about what you went through or that you have legitimate excuses.

Things to do today:
Spend an hour crying over a rejection.. check.
Wonder what the hell I am going to do for the rest of my life... check.
Feel more and more positive that I am going to end up on the street and homeless.. with just my dog.. check.

Ok that didn't take long, I'm BAAACCK with good news! FL Interview! WAHOOOOO!!!! :soexcited::highfive::clap::nod::woot::claps::banana::biglove:

Ok sorry for being positive on this thread.... let's all get back to our normal complaining ;):p.... I'll start.... starting to get depressed about Auburn... :confused:

I'm right there with you Emiloo. Over the summer I spoke to someone in admissions and they assured me that they would be seeing me in February. I still have no invite and am expecting the rejection letter any day now. I really loved the school, and am just really disappointed since my hopes were so high.
Congrats on the Florida interview, though!

I'm right there with you Emiloo. Over the summer I spoke to someone in admissions and they assured me that they would be seeing me in February. I still have no invite and am expecting the rejection letter any day now. I really loved the school, and am just really disappointed since my hopes were so high.

Yeah Auburn is amazing. I worked with 9 Auburn vets that were STELLAR at what they did and they had nothing but amazing things to say about the school. I love the town and the people and I desperately want an invite! :confused: Hope we both hear something soon... :xf:

I wish they wouldn't have gotten your hopes up like that... :( but who knows, maybe they meant it and you'll hear something soon! :)

Awww, Raimes, my heart breaks for you. You are not gonna end up on the street. You are gonna be an awesome vet. If you don't get in, then give it another go next year if you're up for it. Do you have any more schools you're waiting on this year? If yes, then no need to lose hope yet.

I'm done applying, but thanks for the vote of confidence. Just Penn.. just waiting for Penn.. I know they are going to say No. And out of the states vet schools are out of the question.

I might be working at McDonald's! Yay for the economy(I don't have enough experience.. not enough to get a decent job).. and for all vet schools saying no.

Emiloo! That is so great! A Florida interview...your IS school! I just know you're going to get in. This will be so great for you because then you'll be back near your family for support and everything. You will do wonderfully on the interview. Just relax and be your wonderful self!

Emiloo! That is so great! A Florida interview...your IS school! I just know you're going to get in. This will be so great for you because then you'll be back near your family for support and everything. You will do wonderfully on the interview. Just relax and be your wonderful self!

Sincerest thanks Bisbee! You are such a kind person and I hope you get the opportunity to prove to schools how amazing you would be at this profession. I appreciate all of your kind words and support. :xf: for you about Penn! It only takes one yes! :)

Raimes,
I don't know you very well, but I'm going to take the liberty to talk to you like I talk to my kids (they are probably older than you are, and I still "talk to them"). Anyway, I know exactly how awful it was to get rejected from Tufts today (because I got the same letter today in the mail that you did). It's okay to feel terrible, but don't get depressed and think you have no value. You are young and have more opportunity to apply to vet school. But, believe me when I say that vet school isn't everything in life (I know it can feel that way, but it really isn't). There is a world of things you can do in between becoming a vet or living on the street (or working at McDonald's), right? Now take a few days and cry and then get tough and start working on Plan B, whether it is reapplication (and adding some more coursework or vet work or expanding to more schools) or looking into another field. I promise you will be alright and you will be happy again...sooner than you think. You have so much to offer this big world and so much time to do it. You can have more than one dream...you can change dreams, you can live a great life whatever you end up doing.

Raimes, have you thought of moving to a state where the IS-pool-of-applicants:IS-seats gives you good odds?! If you can find a job in another state and settle there for a year (usually it only has to be a year prior to classes starting) then you can have pretty good odds for IS. I know it is much easier said than done but something worth pursuing.

If you go for it again, that might bump you up on the list!

I am currently thinking of doing that... and I totally get the frustration with them only caring about GPA. I am working extremely hard to bring up my grades and I think I am gonna run myself broke because my undergraduate loans are coming due... but I have to work and I cant do full time studies :scared:

There are so many things I wish I knew before applying.. a Masters WILL NOT help you. Unless you have a great undergrad GPA. Vet schools DO NOT care about what you went through or that you have legitimate excuses.

I'm sorry that this is true for the schools that you applied to, Raimes. They're probably the ones I avoided for that very reason - bad undergrad GPA with legit reasoning and a Masters. I hope you can figure out something you can move on to next that will one day allow you to look back with no regrets.

My schedule is still very busy, but it's not overwhelming anymore
Yay! :clap: See, it is possible to scale back!

Ok sorry for being positive on this thread.... let's all get back to our normal complaining ;):p.... I'll start.... starting to get depressed about Auburn...

S'not a crime to be positive. That's wonderful news, Em. Very thrilled for you.

Props and kudos to Bisbee. My heart goes out to you, love. I really hope you hear positivity from UPenn!

I am also going to give some words of wisdom. In fall 2009, I was sure I wanted to work in the healthcare business. I was even granted an interview with GM healthcare products (it's really cutthroat). I was not granted a second interview. Although upset, I had an interview at a consulting group for hospitals in San Francisco. Everyone thought I was shoe in. Lo and behold I got rejected for a job.

I was extremely upset. I thought I was not going to end up anywhere and work for a car rental place. I decided that maybe I wasnt cut out for business. My mom said go back to becoming a professional in health care. I always loved workin with animals, and I volunteered for a day at a local clinic and LOVED IT. didn't know why I was upset with GM in the first place!!! So far I'm waitlisted somewhere, which means that SOMEONE thinks I'm slightly special.

My main point is this. I believe that things happen for a definite reason. I truly believe you will end up somewhere awesome. Masters gives you a leg up over everyone who just have a lousy bachelors. One vet I work with said there are so many opportunities to work and help animals that you don't need the fancy smanshy Dvm degree. If you cannot live life w/o being a vet, you'll get there. BUT if you are tired of the game there might be a better job out there for you. Use your connections and shine!

I know this isn't a bad problem to have, but...

I have a few interview invites coming up and also a couple of acceptances, so I'm in a situation where I don't know which invites to accept. Cost is starting to become an issue. Anyone have any compelling reasons to go on certain interviews or advice on how to choose?

(NJ resident, acceptances to Ohio and KState at this point...)
1/27 Minnesota
2/2 Tufts (definitely going)
2/6-2/10 (didn't schedule yet) Auburn
2/13 Illinois (new curriculum sounds awesome)
3/2 VMRCVM

I was waitlisted for an interview at UFl. If I get an invite, I will definitely be going to that one (either 2/4 or 2/11). Still waiting to hear from UPenn, NCSU, and UWisconsin.

I have a few interview invites coming up and also a couple of acceptances, so I'm in a situation where I don't know which invites to accept. Cost is starting to become an issue. Anyone have any compelling reasons to go on certain interviews or advice on how to choose?

1/27 Minnesota
3/2 VMRCVM

I was waitlisted for an interview at UFl. If I get an invite, I will definitely be going to that one (either 2/4 or 2/11). Still waiting to hear from UPenn, NCSU, and UWisconsin.

My advice is to turn down your Auburn invite so I can have it!:D;)

My advice is to turn down your Auburn invite so I can have it!:D;)

Haha, I'll trade you Auburn for Florida (even though I'm OOS, so that wouldn't work). Lol!

Haha, I'll trade you Auburn for Florida (even though I'm OOS, so that wouldn't work). Lol!

haha pretty tempting actually... wonder if they would give us even trades ;)

1/27 Minnesota
3/2 VMRCVM

Well, you're definitely going to Tufts which is the one I would have said go to, because I loved that place. The only downside to me really was it being in North Grafton...I like having things around me if I have the free time to do something. VMRCVM rejected me last year so I'm holding a grudge. Jk, I'm really not. Definitely wasn't qualified last year and am still surprised I got as far as I did with the other schools. I guess I would pick schools based on if you could see yourself in that location and if there are specific aspects of the school that appeal to you and want to learn more about while visiting. For instance, I'm excited about Illinois because of the new curriculum as well as a few other things. I like how Auburn has the raptor center where you can get involved in and is updating some of their facilities. I have no idea what Minnesota is like to offer any advice on that one though.

1/27 Minnesota
3/2 VMRCVM

I am kind of in the same position as you that I have gotten a lot of interviews and now one acceptance. I am almost positive that I am going to turn down my interview at Minnesota because their non-resident tuition is so expensive. I also have an interview at illinois that I am probably going to turn down too because it would also cost me more over four years than the school I already got into. So I would consider long term costs in addition to how much going on the interviews will cost you.

I've been staying off SDN because I'm trying not to make myself depressed. Probably shouldn't have come on today, because seeing other people hear good news is making my everything hurt. Sorry - I'm happy for y'all, but after 3 years of applying I am sick and tired of silence and bad news.

Meanwhile my horse re-injured himself, I can't go out until tomorrow, work was craptastic today, and I'm am beyond exhausted and stressed due to the pet sitting job I am currently in the middle of.

On the plus side, I have pizza coming. But no beer. Why won't they deliver me beer?

ETA: And then they messed up my pizza order. Really?

Last edited:
I have been MIA from here for a little bit. Just lots of stuff going on. Had 6 consecutive days of work, today was my first day off and still had to go in for a meeting. I am waiting on my letter from Kansas, I was really hoping it would be here when I saw everyone else hearing back but no letter. :( I have to work a 12 hour shift tomorrow so I won't even be able to check the mail until after 7PM so this kind of makes me hope that it will be a busy day tomorrow so I have something to keep my mind off of it. And to add to it I have been feeling sick the past 3 days, the flu has been passed around work lately and I keep having peroids were I feel super hot and nauseous but nothing ever happens and my throat is on fire. I have my Iowa interview this weekend and looking at the interview feedback today is making me...:scared:. I am really hoping that I get good news from Kansas so that I can A) not worry as much about how my interview goes at Iowa and B) save money by not going to my interview at Washington. I am still waiting to hear from UPenn; I know it is going to be a while but the wait is driving my batty.

Hoping that work goes by quickly tomorrow, I have good news from Kansas waiting for me when I get home and that I am feeling better when I wake up.

End Rant, just needed to get all of that out.

I have been MIA from here for a little bit. Just lots of stuff going on. Had 6 consecutive days of work, today was my first day off and still had to go in for a meeting. I am waiting on my letter from Kansas, I was really hoping it would be here when I saw everyone else hearing back but no letter. :( I have to work a 12 hour shift tomorrow so I won't even be able to check the mail until after 7PM so this kind of makes me hope that it will be a busy day tomorrow so I have something to keep my mind off of it. And to add to it I have been feeling sick the past 3 days, the flu has been passed around work lately and I keep having peroids were I feel super hot and nauseous but nothing ever happens and my throat is on fire. I have my Iowa interview this weekend and looking at the interview feedback today is making me...:scared:. I am really hoping that I get good news from Kansas so that I can A) not worry as much about how my interview goes at Iowa and B) save money by not going to my interview at Washington. I am still waiting to hear from UPenn; I know it is going to be a while but the wait is driving my batty.

Hoping that work goes by quickly tomorrow, I have good news from Kansas waiting for me when I get home and that I am feeling better when I wake up.

End Rant, just needed to get all of that out.

Sorry you're feeling icky!

About Kansas...I got paranoid when I heard that my friend got his acceptance letter already (he had the same interview date that I did) and I haven't heard a peep so I called them today. They said that they have sent a few early acceptances but most people won't hear until the first week of February or so. Knowing that we have to wait sucks big time ... but at least we can rest easy because it's out of our hands at this point. Hope that helps :oops:

I've been staying off SDN because I'm trying not to make myself depressed. Probably shouldn't have come on today, because seeing other people hear good news is making my everything hurt. Sorry - I'm happy for y'all, but after 3 years of applying I am sick and tired of silence and bad news.

Meanwhile my horse re-injured himself, I can't go out until tomorrow, work was craptastic today, and I'm am beyond exhausted and stressed due to the pet sitting job I am currently in the middle of.

On the plus side, I have pizza coming. But no beer. Why won't they deliver me beer?

ETA: And then they messed up my pizza order. Really?

This. SDN definitely adds to the paranoia, particularly this time of year when interview invites/acceptances/rejections are going out. I'm sorry for all the bad news you've heard ... I'm in the same boat. Sucks big time :(

Kaydubs: you are like a ray of sunshine on a cloudy day. :)

:thumbup:

DVMDream - Hope you feel better soon so you can show the good folks of Iowa what you're made of. :xf::luck:

Sunnex - Kick the pants off your interview at VM!! :woot:

NStars - Holy cow, wow!! Way to go!!! :claps:

Things to do today:
Spend an hour crying over a rejection.. check.
Wonder what the hell I am going to do for the rest of my life... check.
Feel more and more positive that I am going to end up on the street and homeless.. with just my dog.. check.

This random internet stranger will take you out for a stiff drink (assuming you drink)... it sounds like you could use it.

Update on my overloaded schedule:

I had my hours and responsibilities rearranged at job #2. My supervisor was very nice and said I could finish up the project I'm working on at the own pace and I don't have to worry about other lab duties. So that's 12-20 hours per week cut down to 2-3 hours. This way I can still do research and get some publication credits.

Job #1 is still on but some days I can work from home which will save about 2 hours commute time. I decided to volunteer max 8 hours per week at the animal hospital. School is still the same but my classes are relatively easy (except biochemistry, maybe).

My schedule is still very busy, but it's not overwhelming anymore :thumbup:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

:)

Whyevernot- man oh man, I am feeling for you... ergh. it's so so SO disheartening to hear everyone else's good news, and it's OK and NORMAL for you to feel this way. MOST of us feel this way... ugh. I know you are under immense amounts of stress from this, are feeling low, and are wondering "what's the point?!" I'm glad you are still reaching out to us on SDN. We are all here for you, no matter what happens!
Just curious- did you apply to any caribbean schools? Do you plan to?

<3 <3 <3

If Auburn doesn't stop messing with my head.... :boom:
COME ON ALREADY!!!! :mad:
Please? :oops:

Whyevernot- man oh man, I am feeling for you... ergh. it's so so SO disheartening to hear everyone else's good news, and it's OK and NORMAL for you to feel this way. MOST of us feel this way... ugh. I know you are under immense amounts of stress from this, are feeling low, and are wondering "what's the point?!" I'm glad you are still reaching out to us on SDN. We are all here for you, no matter what happens!
Just curious- did you apply to any caribbean schools? Do you plan to?

<3 <3 <3

I've just done this too many times to be perky about it anymore.

No, I have not and will not apply out of the country. There's a long story that some folks on here know - I applied and was accepted to Edinburgh, and after much agonizing and visiting the school, I decided to decline. Overseas is simply not an option for me at this time.

Does anyone have "the cure all" for acne? (Obviously not or there wouldn't be such a huge industry for it lol) I never had a pimple in my life until I turned 23, and now I get them on my face, chest, and back. It's usually not terrible, but enough to bother me. Lucky for me, I just got two symmetrical pimples on both sides of my face... just in time for my Kansas interview this weekend! :eek: I have been to dermatologists, and I can't seem to get it under control... anyone wanna share what works for them? :oops: