The Support Group - A place for admissions-related rants and worries.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hope you both get off that interview waitlist sooner than later. How frustrating to keep waiting!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have "the cure all" for acne? (Obviously not or there wouldn't be such a huge industry for it lol) I never had a pimple in my life until I turned 23, and now I get them on my face, chest, and back. It's usually not terrible, but enough to bother me. Lucky for me, I just got two symmetrical pimples on both sides of my face... just in time for my Kansas interview this weekend! :eek: I have been to dermatologists, and I can't seem to get it under control... anyone wanna share what works for them? :oops:

I have extremely oily sensitive skin. Proactiv or anything with B. Peroxide or Salyclic Acid burns my skin so bad my face swells ect. Then any oral medications such as the tertracyclines knock me on my ass. so I'm on oral BC and I had a doctor call in topical Clindamycin. I've used it for maybe a week and a half and this cystic pimple I've had for like 3 months no joke has finally gone away and my skin it's looking better every day. Cost me 10 bucks at the drug store. I also use Aveeno cleansers and the proactive oil free moisture.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I got an email back from Tufts today - I am on the interview alternate list.

The mothereffing interview alternate list.

What the everloving mother effing eff? WHAT THE HE**!?!?! Seriously? This ENTIRE EFFING WEEK had been ridiculous and exhausting and frustrating and made me want to kick people in their gonads and this seriously tops it off. After 3 applications and doing literally everything discussed in my file review?
:mad: :poke: :bullcrap: :boom:

:wtf: I'll bring the pitchfork if you provide the torch. Really? I personally I fail to see a point in a waitlist for interviews. You like an applicant, interview. You don't? Reject. Please, please, please, don't string people along.

PS - I swear by Philosophy skin care. However, I'm an 'old bag' so can't say it will work for everyone.

There are INTERVIEW waitlists?

Good gods, that sounds horrible. What if you got interview waitlisted and then waitlisted for acceptance? Stress city.

Hang in there, Whyevernot! Your file is still in play!!!
I know, right? After interviewing me and waitlisting me for acceptance 2 years running, you'd think they might throw me a bone.

:wtf: I'll bring the pitchfork if you provide the torch. Really? I personally I fail to see a point in a waitlist for interviews. You like an applicant, interview. You don't? Reject. Please, please, please, don't string people along.

PS - I swear by Philosophy skin care. However, I'm an 'old bag' so can't say it will work for everyone.

Seriously. I am not kidding about kicking people in their gonads. I could rage about it all day, but I'm too freaking tired.

... And to everyone out there on interview waitlists...

I agree that it SUCKS :annoyed: ... I feel like they are saying, "awe, you were pretty good pplicant and we counldnt just through your application in the trash but, meh, we wont make the time to meet you... only if a bunch of people turn down their opportunity"

I totally expect to post again on the Rejection Thread today because Iowa State is eliminating their interview alternate waitlist today... their last interviews are next week :mad:

Sadly this is my biggest success story for applications this year, "waitlisted for an interview and never making it off"

... and there is good chance I will be interview waitlisted for my IS school, which of course is a death sentence.
great :bang: .

I must agree interview waitlist sounds like a lame idea. I mean, not a lot of people cancel their interviews (especially not this early in the year).

Just another way to make you feel "so close, yet so far".

I know, right? After interviewing me and waitlisting me for acceptance 2 years running, you'd think they might throw me a bone.

Seriously. I am not kidding about kicking people in their gonads. I could rage about it all day, but I'm too freaking tired.

I realize this completely. Hence why I have offered to assist. But seriously, I can't for the life of me figure this one out. It's mind boggling... You should have heard me at 2am ranting about your plight to my fellow technician who just sat there and shook her head at the whole thing. You've done EVERYTHING they asked and this is your reward? :confused:

Tufts: Tsk, tsk, tsk... :nono:

I realize this completely. Hence why I have offered to assist. But seriously, I can't for the life of me figure this one out. It's mind boggling... You should have heard me at 2am ranting about your plight to my fellow technician who just sat there and shook her head at the whole thing. You've done EVERYTHING they asked and this is your reward? :confused:

Tufts: Tsk, tsk, tsk... :nono:

Thanks for the support and understanding - I know you get it. I mean, I am literally going over my file review with Laura last year in my head. I actually have typed up notes from everything we talked about. Did I do all that? Yes. Insert little checkmarks next to each one. Including moving hundreds of miles.
I can't help but wonder if a changeover in the admissions department had any impact.
And I KNOW I should at least be happy that I'm not out of the running - just stupid interview waitlisted - but anyone who pulls that out is going to get punched. No joke.

I am feeling incredibly defeated. After 3 application cycles, I don't know if I can do it again. I feel stagnant - I am living paycheck to paycheck, barely, and the application process is draining both financially and emotionally. On the other hand, what else do I want to do with my life? Nothing, really. I am so stuck here.

I rant because I know you guys understand. And no one else really does.

I feel stagnant - I am living paycheck to paycheck, barely, and the application process is draining both financially and emotionally. On the other hand, what else do I want to do with my life? Nothing, really. I am so stuck here.

:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown: this :(

i TOTALLY understand this part. i was thinking of plan Bs this year and i had no idea what i wanted to do with my life other than THIS. i'm so sorry you're going through all of this crappy nonsense. it just doesn't make sense sometimes :mad:

I rant because I know you guys understand. And no one else really does.

I'm really sorry to hear this. It's like getting kicked in the face. :( Again. I'm not sure what to think about this year anymore except to shutupandwait. I want them to show you some love already!! :biglove:

I'd be sunnier but I think SAD may be kicking my keister....I wish I could stop having minor breakdowns...:oops:.

:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown: this :(

Why do they do this to students? Its like they let you smell the pie but not have a bite? Aww, hopefully the wind blows and they call you up off the wait list. Sorry :(

This totally stinks WhyEverNot :thumbdown:. I really hope they come to their senses and call you off the wait list! I can't even imagine everything you've gone through. Just going through 3 application cycles and still fighting and improving your application should show adcoms you have what it takes to be an awesome vet. I don't get why they aren't seeing it. What other schools are you waiting on?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was on the interview waitlist last year and it really sucked big time. I think they have the interview waitlist so they do not have to go back to reviewing files again. I can also feel for you with you getting file reviews, I got one from Tufts and did everything they said and even more and I got rejected. I think we have to think of it as they are telling us what to work on to maximize our chances but even then it doesn't guarantee success as the applicant pool changes every year.

I was on the interview waitlist last year and it really sucked big time. I think they have the interview waitlist so they do not have to go back to reviewing files again. I can also feel for you with you getting file reviews, I got one from Tufts and did everything they said and even more and I got rejected. I think we have to think of it as they are telling us what to work on to maximize our chances but even then it doesn't guarantee success as the applicant pool changes every year.
I would argue that being on the interview waitlist is a piece of information the schools should just keep to themselves. It's not like they have to reject you right away. If they end up needing to interview you, they can.

Then again, I am sure some people would rather hear something than nothing. Nothing like contradiciting my own point.

I would argue that being on the interview waitlist is a piece of information the schools should just keep to themselves. It's not like they have to reject you right away. If they end up needing to interview you, they can.

I realize this will be a wildly unpopular thing to say, but frankly.... a fair bit of this whole 'waitlisting' stress could be reduced if there was a (low) limit to the number of schools to which you could apply in a given year. Say .... 3.

I realize this will be a wildly unpopular thing to say, but frankly.... a fair bit of this whole 'waitlisting' stress could be reduced if there was a (low) limit to the number of schools to which you could apply in a given year. Say .... 3.

That's super discriminatory against people applying from OOS, however. I agree if you had an IS school that a limit could be helpful, but I don't think that's fair for people like me who are applying from a state with no contracts and no state school. Just my $0.02.

And what if someone didn't have the most awesome stats? Some people who applied to multiple schools have had an interview or have been accepted. I applied to many schools, but Ive been rejected/ waitlisted/ waitlisted for interview. If I only applied to 3, that doesn't help my odds. I see your point, but no one is definitely a shoe in, and I'll be damned if I only applied to one or two just to give others a better chance.

Mind you, I have yet to hear from Davis, but I'd still like to have choices.

If I only applied to 3, that doesn't help my odds. I see your point, but no one is definitely a shoe in, and I'll be damned if I only applied to one or two just to give others a better chance.

I don't think it really would hurt your odds. If people were limited, the numbers of total applicants at individual schools would go down, which should offset limiting the number of schools to which you apply.

I don't really buy the shotgun approach - I think people who do that aren't really taking the time to find schools that are a good fit for them. Most schools are very open about their selection process, and for the ones that aren't we have places like SDN. It's not all that hard to look at what you bring to the table and select schools that are most likely to find you an attractive candidate. So I think shotgunning is a waste of money that just covers up a lack of research figuring out what schools a candidate is a great match for. But, it's definitely one approach that a lot of people like! And I did say my comment wasn't going to be popular. :)

I certainly wasn't a shoe-in either. And yet, I only applied to one school (for different reasons than this, but....).

There's a big advantage to applying to one school - you get to tailor your PS just for them. You get to say "I talked to professor X" or "I love the work that doctor Y is doing" or ... etc. You get to really convince them that you want to go to THEIR school.

That's super discriminatory against people applying from OOS, however. I agree if you had an IS school that a limit could be helpful, but I don't think that's fair for people like me who are applying from a state with no contracts and no state school. Just my $0.02.

True enough! I don't know that I'd say "super discriminatory". It's more like it just sucks for you. After all, there's no obligation at all for any school to take ANY out of state candidates. But yes, your point is valid!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question but I can't find another thread that speaks about research experience. May I ask what specific types of research applicants normally have? Do vet schools really only want you to research with animals in a lab? Has anyone ever heard of a successful applicant that had plenty of research experience, but it was all regarding humans?

Hey LIS, I wouldn't recommend the shot gun approach either. What an expensive process! I just wouldn't want to apply to just 3. It was hard enough for me to narrow down my choices to 12. Next time I wouldn't apply to so many, but I'd have a hard time narrowing it to 4. I liked all the schools I applied to and I spent a lot of time researching. The thing is, you never know what they are looking for :)

EDIT: I applied to 11. I forget sometimes. Seemed like a million.

Last edited:

I disagree.

I applied to 4 schools last year (all out of state). I was rejected from one off the bat, waitlisted for an interview at another and waitlisted for actual admission at the remaining two schools.

I feel you girl! You have my utmost sympathy. I have 2 app cycles under my belt and nothing to show for it but rejections. It is VERY disheartening!

As others have said, be strong! You WILL get there! I, too, want no other career and am in the same position as you have stated. Keep your chin up! Where there is a WILL there is a way! Especially when we make our own:)

That's an interesting idea, but I wonder how that'll turn out. I have a feeling that we'll end up with some schools that have extremely high acceptance rates... and I'm not sure that's good for the profession (or maybe those schools will lose accreditation, and it'll be a great solution to our oversupply problem?).

Because even before Ross and SGU were accredited, I think the overall matriculation rate of all applicants was like 50%... The reason why individual schools tend to have like a 20-25% acceptance IS, to lower than 10% acceptance rate OOS is because each applicant applies to so many schools. That causes schools to compete for the best applicants, and then keep moving on down the waitlists pulling out the next best applicant until all seats are filled. So in the end, we can be reasonably sure that more or less, all vet school seats are filled with the top 50% of the applicant pool. While all these waitlists and such are very annoying in the Nov - March waiting period, I think a lot of people end up being happy in the end. Right now, if you apply broadly enough, and you can get yourself well into the top 50th percentile of applicants, your chances are pretty good that you'll get in somewhere. I'm not sure that'll happen with the 3 school cap you propose, where I suspect that application strategizing and luck (and behavior of other applicants that year) will be a bigger determinant in getting in.

Then again, I am sure some people would rather hear something than nothing. Nothing like contradiciting my own point.

:biglove: Can I mention that I love when you both post? I just did :D

To SOV's point, I agree that being on a waitlist suckkkssssss. especially when some schools rank, others don't and then some just like to :poke: you with that spam-ish email. "Ah yes, we received your application." "........" "No, we are not allowed to discuss ANYTHING with you. just go sit in the corner and wait for another email. Stop calling us."

And with LIS's SUPER INCENDIARY COMMENT;): I applied to 4. I self-funded everything like always and yeah, reducing my chances like that sortakinda felt sucky. But, when I decided on which was TRULY my #1 spot, I had an easier time deciding where I wanted to be at the final curtain call of the app cycle. (I tend to really analyze stuff with my science-y/liberal arts brain. It keeps me stranded at times!)

Yes, I almost managed to screw that up too:hungover:. Oh youth, you are a brainteaser!

That's an interesting idea, but I wonder how that'll turn out. I have a feeling that we'll end up with some schools that have extremely high acceptance rates... and I'm not sure that's good for the profession (or maybe those schools will lose accreditation, and it'll be a great solution to our oversupply problem?).

Oh, sure, there would be all sorts of impact to something like what I suggested... I'm not smart enough to figure all that out. But people were posting about the stress, and frankly, part of that stress is because of shotgunning. (In other words, it's actually self-induced from an applicant population perspective.) Step through the process - schools get huge amounts of applications. They send out more interview offers than they need to, because they know people will decline, because people shotgunned to get to pick and choose which ones to accept. Then after interviewing, schools send out acceptances but put lots and lots of people on waitlists for the same reason: because so many people shotgun, get multiple acceptances, and then pick and choose.

So if you want to cut down the waitlist stress, cut down the shotgunning and subsequent multiple acceptances that allows people to drop schools, thus forcing the schools to have large waitlists.

As to other impacts (NStarz made a good point, you made a good point) .... yup. I'll buy all that. :)

Your comments were great, though I'm not sure why expecting people to strategize a bit more - which I'd simply call 'doing your research' - is a bad thing. Something like this would also provide a bit more competition between schools, which ought not be a bad thing.

But people were posting about the stress, and frankly, part of that stress is because of shotgunning. (In other words, it's actually self-induced from an applicant population perspective.)

I think this is where our opinions diverge. I don't think it makes any sense to change the application system for a professional program, JUST to ease the stress of applicants between the months of Nov and Feb. The applications process should be about matching the interests of each school with the interests of each applicant, not about how comfortable it makes them during the process. Yes, I remember how much the waiting sucked, and yes I remember how annoyed I was about certain aspects of the process, but I also remember how every cycle, the same people who were super stressed out ended up super happy in the end. There are people who are placed on multiple waitlists, and are frustrated as all hell... but once they come off that waitlist, everything's all peachy. In the meantime, I'd say applicants have to just suck it up and deal with it. That's life.

I'm not sure why expecting people to strategize a bit more - which I'd simply call 'doing your research' - is a bad thing. Something like this would also provide a bit more competition between schools, which ought not be a bad thing.

I think there's a huge difference between the type of strategizing I'm talking about vs. the "doing your research" you're talking about. Obviously this type of system wouldn't affect people like you who only wanted to apply to one school. But for those of us who had multiple schools in mind, limiting to 3 would make us apply not based on best fit, but more based on admission stats. I don't think that's a good thing.

And I think in the end it'll create even more stress. I can guarantee you that people will mull and stress over not having chosen their 3 schools correctly. The second each rejection/waitist comes in, it's going to be "Damn, I should have applied to ____ instead." Maybe there will be fewer people on it, but the waitlist is not going to go away either. And I have a feeling that limiting to 3 schools will start to stratify the schools in the Reach, Medium, (relative) Safety type categories... and I personally don't like that very much. That's the kind of strategizing I don't like.

If I had to choose between a system where applicants are limited the number of schools and end up frustrated forever because they weren't able to apply broadly enough to get the best possible outcome, vs a system where applicants can apply to as many schools as they want and get the best outcome they can at the expense of some people getting temporarily frustrated... I'd choose the former.

So my interview is February 13th, every time I get in the shower, sit in my car, lay in my bed, etc, what has been consuming my mind is thoughts of "What was a difficult situation you encountered and how did you deal with it."

Dear me.

So my interview is February 13th, every time I get in the shower, sit in my car, lay in my bed, etc, what has been consuming my mind is thoughts of "What was a difficult situation you encountered and how did you deal with it."

Dear me.

Yep, got asked that today at KSU lol.

Is that just an incredibly popular interview question that every school likes to ask...? I noticed in the interview feedback that it gets asked fairly frequently. I've been racking my brain for possible answers to that one... *pulls hair out*

I think this is where our opinions diverge. I don't think it makes any sense to change the application system for a professional program, JUST to ease the stress of applicants between the months of Nov and Feb. The applications process should be about matching the interests of each school with the interests of each applicant, not about how comfortable it makes them during the process.

I always appreciate your thinking, MB. :)

That said, you seem to be arguing that allowing people to shotgun is the best way of guaranteeing a good fit, and I don't buy that. Am I really looking for a good fit if I apply to 16 different schools? Or am I just looking to get into any school that will take me? Doesn't make sense to me. I think having people narrow down their choices might be tough - sure - but I also think it would force people to think about what schools truly ARE the best fit for them - and part of 'fit' *includes* which schools are most likely to accept a given candidate.

Dear me.

Here's one suggestion that was passed on to me by a surgeon who was formerly involved in evaluating candidates at ... somewhere out east, I believe. She said when you're considering these questions, don't overlook the little stories in your life. She said it's perfectly acceptable to use a story about a little argument you had in the car with somebody. A "difficult situation" doesn't have to be a major branching point in your life. It certainly CAN be, but it doesn't HAVE to be. What they're really looking for (this is my voice now and not her voice) is the chance to evaluate how you assessed and responded to the difficult situation, not the depth of the difficulty.

So while you do need to come up with a 'difficult' situation, it doesn't have to be earth-shattering.

I don't remember if I got asked that or, if I did, how I responded, or I'd give you a personal example.

Here's one suggestion that was passed on to me by a surgeon who was formerly involved in evaluating candidates at ... somewhere out east, I believe. She said when you're considering these questions, don't overlook the little stories in your life. She said it's perfectly acceptable to use a story about a little argument you had in the car with somebody. A "difficult situation" doesn't have to be a major branching point in your life. It certainly CAN be, but it doesn't HAVE to be. What they're really looking for (this is my voice now and not her voice) is the chance to evaluate how you assessed and responded to the difficult situation, not the depth of the difficulty.

So while you do need to come up with a 'difficult' situation, it doesn't have to be earth-shattering.

I don't remember if I got asked that or, if I did, how I responded, or I'd give you a personal example.

This is a common interview (for a regular monkey job) question, and I generally always respond with the same answer. Like LIS said, they just want to see how you resolved the conflict, and what the outcome was.

I always use this example of when this girl I worked with on a volunteer project, and I got into an argument. We are too similar in personalities, and butt heads, and finally one night all hell broke lose and we had a 'conflict'.

Lo and behold the next day we were paired together (I think because everyone else was too afraid to be partnered with us) on an assignment, and we were forced to work together. We were both really civil and were able to accept each other's strong points/similarities/differences and by the end of the day and from then on for the rest of the 3 weeks we were together, we had become even closer friends then we were to begin with.... and even joked about how similar we are and could even endearingly call each other a b*tch, and it would all be okay.

True story lol.

So just a little example from my awkward life- as LIS stated, it doesn't have to be world changing, but something small even, that shows your strengths in resolving conflicts. (I thought I'd help LIS and give my own personal example lol)

Thanks LIS and lostbunny. I never think about these things so I am trying to do lots of brainstorming ahead of time. lol

So I got an email back from Tufts today - I am on the interview alternate list.

The mothereffing interview alternate list.

What the everloving mother effing eff? WHAT THE HE**!?!?! Seriously? This ENTIRE EFFING WEEK had been ridiculous and exhausting and frustrating and made me want to kick people in their gonads and this seriously tops it off. After 3 applications and doing literally everything discussed in my file review?
:mad: :poke: :bullcrap: :boom:

Oh nooooo. I'm sorry WEN. GRRRRR. They are just testing you so that when you get accepted you can :soexcited:

Keep your chin up!!

Oh, sure, there would be all sorts of impact to something like what I suggested... I'm not smart enough to figure all that out. But people were posting about the stress, and frankly, part of that stress is because of shotgunning. (In other words, it's actually self-induced from an applicant population perspective.) Step through the process - schools get huge amounts of applications. They send out more interview offers than they need to, because they know people will decline, because people shotgunned to get to pick and choose which ones to accept. Then after interviewing, schools send out acceptances but put lots and lots of people on waitlists for the same reason: because so many people shotgun, get multiple acceptances, and then pick and choose.

So if you want to cut down the waitlist stress, cut down the shotgunning and subsequent multiple acceptances that allows people to drop schools, thus forcing the schools to have large waitlists.

As to other impacts (NStarz made a good point, you made a good point) .... yup. I'll buy all that. :)

Your comments were great, though I'm not sure why expecting people to strategize a bit more - which I'd simply call 'doing your research' - is a bad thing. Something like this would also provide a bit more competition between schools, which ought not be a bad thing.

I am going to disagree with you. I am on my third application cycle 1st year I applied to 4 schools, last year 6 and this year 7. I can promise that the stress is exactly the same when applying to 4 as it is to 7. I am also considered OOS everywhere which makes my chances of getting accepted much more difficult (hence why I am on my 3rd application cycle). I did my research and applied to the 7 schools I felt would be a good "fit" for me, but in all honesty can one really determine how well they will "fit" into a school off some internet research and maybe an hour or so tour/few day trip to the school. Also, if you limit the number of schools an individual can apply to, you will get a bunch of applicants for some schools and very few for other schools. Those schools that are left with few applicants may end up having to choose amongst applicants that may not be well suited for the profession. I did not apply to 7 schools with the thought of, "I am going to be able to pick my favorite and go to the school I like best," I applied with the thought of, "Hopefully one of these schools will see my potential and give me a chance." And, if I happen to get more than one acceptance I will be thoroughly ecstatic. I really don't feel limiting the number of schools you apply to is going to really make people go for where they will "fit" in best. I personally would apply to the schools I felt I would have the best chance of being accepted to.

I am going to disagree with you. I am on my third application cycle 1st year I applied to 4 schools, last year 6 and this year 7. I can promise that the stress is exactly the same when applying to 4 as it is to 7.

Disagreeing with me is awesome, but that particular reason doesn't follow. The whole point was that limiting people would result in fewer wait-listed people.

Also, if you limit the number of schools an individual can apply to, you will get a bunch of applicants for some schools and very few for other schools. Those schools that are left with few applicants may end up having to choose amongst applicants that may not be well suited for the profession.

That's not as bad a thing as it sounds, because that's exactly what competition is all about. Schools that are in that position would need to improve their programs in order to attract candidates.

I did not apply to 7 schools with the thought of, "I am going to be able to pick my favorite and go to the school I like best," I applied with the thought of, "Hopefully one of these schools will see my potential and give me a chance."

Then, your strategy is not really aimed at finding the best FIT, it's aimed at just finding a school - any school - to accept you. That's fine - it's a viable strategy. But don't try and tell me that allowing people to apply all over the place allows people to find the best fit when you admit that your own reason was simply hoping one of them would give you a chance.

Awesome response, though. I like it when people thoughtfully disagree.

Disagreeing with me is awesome, but that particular reason doesn't follow. The whole point was that limiting people would result in fewer wait-listed people.

How does it not follow? People are complaining about the stress of applying. Being waitlisted is only one small part of the process and only if that happens to you. Applying is stressful no matter how many schools you apply to, regardless of waitlists.

That's not as bad a thing as it sounds, because that's exactly what competition is all about. Schools that are in that position would need to improve their programs in order to attract candidates.

I agree, to an extent. It would not be bad for schools to be competing to get the best candidates to apply. However, that also requires $$, which raises tuition, which increases application fees, etc, etc. This would make the idea of going to vet school even less appealing because of the increased cost when it is already astronomically high. Also, at least at the beginning, you could be getting people who are not well-suited for the profession being accepted because seats have to be filled which could lead to: A. More people dropping out. or B. People who you would not want to be a colleague being in the profession.

Then, your strategy is not really aimed at finding the best FIT, it's aimed at just finding a school - any school - to accept you. That's fine - it's a viable strategy. But don't try and tell me that allowing people to apply all over the place allows people to find the best fit when you admit that your own reason was simply hoping one of them would give you a chance.

Awesome response, though. I like it when people thoughtfully disagree.

You could say that. But, picking 7 schools that I feel I would fit well at and applying to all of them is kind of looking for a good "fit". But I don't feel that applying to 7 schools is shotgunning it as you had mentioned before. I was disagreeing with what you had said earlier which was people apply to large numbers of schools so they can pick and choose where they want to go. I don't feel that is the case, I think people apply to schools in the hopes to get in. Granted, it may not lead to them being happy for the 4 years they are in school. But in reality, it is only 4 years and I think people can find a way to make it work out for the best for that short amount of time. I also don't think limiting people to 3 schools is going to make them research for the best "fit"; I think it is going to make them research for the schools that they would have the best chances of being accepted to. Actually, I think allowing people to apply to more schools allows them to apply to schools they feel they would "fit" in at. Think about it: I picked my schools based off, A. Where do I feel I could be accepted to. B. Do I like this school's curriculum/mission/vision statements. C. Do I like the area/town/weather/etc. If I am limited to 3 schools to apply to then I am going to be picking my schools mostly off letter A instead of picking a few schools that fit A, a few that fit B, a few that fit C and a few that fit more than one of those.

Glad we can diagree....difference of opinions is alway very interesting. :)

I agree, to an extent. It would not be bad for schools to be competing to get the best candidates to apply. However, that also requires $$, which raises tuition, which increases application fees, etc, etc. This would make the idea of going to vet school even less appealing because of the increased cost when it is already astronomically high. Also, at least at the beginning, you could be getting people who are not well-suited for the profession being accepted because seats have to be filled which could lead to: A. More people dropping out. or B. People who you would not want to be a colleague being in the profession.

Sure, there could be negative effects. But you have to look at the long-term, big picture. Fear of minor negative effects prevents major positive steps forward.

I don't think that long-term it would increase tuition, for two reasons. First the body of people who want to go to school remains the same. Second, competition generally drives efficiency, so you could reasonably expect schools to work harder at managing their money in the face of competition. Third, there are other sources of revenue than students, so vet schools could work to increase their share of the university budget, state funding, etc. (at schools at which this applies). Right now what's their incentive to do that?
Right now they know they're going to get 10 times the number of seats they have in applicants, so why bother trying to be efficient? For that matter, why control tuition costs when you know you've got that many people out there willing to take on the debt? Not your problem, if you're the school!

Competition would positively impact a lot of that. Yes, it would come with some negatives.

I don't feel that is the case, I think people apply to schools in the hopes to get in.

If I said otherwise, I either misspoke or you misinterpreted. I agree entirely that's why people shotgun: because they just want to get in.

If I am limited to 3 schools to apply to then I am going to be picking my schools mostly off letter A instead of picking a few schools that fit A, a few that fit B, a few that fit C and a few that fit more than one of those.

What's wrong with that, though? I mean, hey - finding a school that is your best 'fit' is awesome, but in the end, an application at a school to which you can't get in, no matter how much you like the school, isn't worth your time or money. Might as well have people apply to three schools they have a reasonable chance of gaining acceptance at.

What's wrong with that, though? I mean, hey - finding a school that is your best 'fit' is awesome, but in the end, an application at a school to which you can't get in, no matter how much you like the school, isn't worth your time or money. Might as well have people apply to three schools they have a reasonable chance of gaining acceptance at.

Ok. Earlier you mentioned that limiting the number of schools would force people to apply to ones that are a good "fit" for them because, and I agree, we should apply to schools we would be happy attending for 4 years. We should pick the schools that are located in areas we could see living happily in for 4 years, but now you claim it is ok to apply to a schools simply because you feel you will have the best shot getting in at. So, which strategy is best? Because you seem to be wavering both ways, or maybe I am misunderstanding. My point still stands: If people are limited to 3 schools they will apply to the ones they believe they can be accepted to which, for me, I can handle change well and find positive in anything, but some people can become very unhappy living in certain places/wishing they had applied elsewhere. Which I could see leading to people dropping out if they become unhappy enough. If I can apply to 8+ schools than I am going to apply to those I feel I can be accpeted at AND those that I could see myself "fitting" in at. This would allow people to attend a school they will truely be happy at. I agree, that some people's "dream school" could be a long shot but if they can apply to more schools they will be more willing to throw their application into the pile and hope for the best.

Ok. Earlier you mentioned that limiting the number of schools would force people to apply to ones that are a good "fit" for them because, and I agree, we should apply to schools we would be happy attending for 4 years. We should pick the schools that are located in areas we could see living happily in for 4 years, but now you claim it is ok to apply to a schools simply because you feel you will have the best shot getting in at. So, which strategy is best? Because you seem to be wavering both ways, or maybe I am misunderstanding. My point still stands: If people are limited to 3 schools they will apply to the ones they believe they can be accepted to which, for me, I can handle change well and find positive in anything, but some people can become very unhappy living in certain places/wishing they had applied elsewhere. Which I could see leading to people dropping out if they become unhappy enough. If I can apply to 8+ schools than I am going to apply to those I feel I can be accpeted at AND those that I could see myself "fitting" in at. This would allow people to attend a school they will truely be happy at. I agree, that some people's "dream school" could be a long shot but if they can apply to more schools they will be more willing to throw their application into the pile and hope for the best.

TOTALLY agree. Couldn't have said it better myself.

The worst is when I think about scary films in the shower. I have the most difficult time getting out and then...I see some Stephen King visual and KABOOM! I'm afraid of showers. :scared:

.....well, guess I won't be showering today as originally planned.:rolleyes:

Yes, I have a case of the Mondays.

Ok. Earlier you mentioned that limiting the number of schools would force people to apply to ones that are a good "fit" for them because, and I agree, we should apply to schools we would be happy attending for 4 years. We should pick the schools that are located in areas we could see living happily in for 4 years, but now you claim it is ok to apply to a schools simply because you feel you will have the best shot getting in at. So, which strategy is best Because you seem to be wavering both ways, or maybe I am misunderstanding

I suspect I'm wavering more than you're misunderstanding. My apologies; I'm coming off an immuno test today with a physiology/cardio test Wednesday, a big vet school outing last Saturday night, and no sleep.

"Fit" includes "the ability to get in." After all, it doesn't matter how much you like a school if you can't get into it. So when I said it would encourage people to apply at places for which they were a good fit, I didn't mean just places they 'liked'. I think. I'm kinda forgetting the thread now and I don't have time to go re-read it. :(

As far as what's ok: All I meant by that was that I'm not judging someone for shotgunning just because *I* think that the approach doesn't make sense and is a poor replacement for doing your homework about the schools most likely to work out for someone. Maybe someone really isn't sure what kind of school they'd like to be at and wants to throw out a blanket. Maybe someone has ridiculous amounts of disposable income, so why not apply at 28 schools? Maybe it just makes them feel warm and fuzzy to think they have that much more chance at an acceptance. Whatever. All I meant by acknowledging the shotgunning approach was that I'm not judging anyone personally just because I'm suggesting something different.

This would allow people to attend a school they will truely be happy at. I agree, that some people's "dream school" could be a long shot but if they can apply to more schools they will be more willing to throw their application into the pile and hope for the best.
I don't think limiting the number of applications a single person could submit would ever prevent them from applying to their 'dream school' if they really wanted.

I still believe that the competition it would drive would, in the long run, be good for the industry. A few people have pointed out how it might make some people unhappy. Ok... well... any change is going to negatively impact SOMEONE. But in general, I think a limit would drive competition and lower stress for applicants. In general. That's key.

Grr. Just got an email from Oklahoma saying they never received my GRE scores...they were mailed in September. And of course since I don't have a fancy smartphone anymore I didn't get the email until like 8:30 PM EST since I got off from work at 8...Hoping they still accept my scores.

37 days that I've been waiting to hear from Kansas. Gah, I think I've developed layers of plaque in my arteries just from the stress of opening the mailbox each day and discovering nothing but pointless bills. :(

37 days that I've been waiting to hear from Kansas. Gah, I think I've developed layers of plaque in my arteries just from the stress of opening the mailbox each day and discovering nothing but pointless bills. :(

Oh wow! They told us this past weekend it would be about 2-3 weeks when they sent letters out. I'm pretty sure they said most of us will know by Feb 15th or so, but definitely by the end of Feb. I know you interviewed much earlier so I'm not sure that applies to you, but I wanted to share since any information seems to ease MY mind! Hope you hear something soon!:xf:

Oh wow! They told us this past weekend it would be about 2-3 weeks when they sent letters out. I'm pretty sure they said most of us will know by Feb 15th or so, but definitely by the end of Feb. I know you interviewed much earlier so I'm not sure that applies to you, but I wanted to share since any information seems to ease MY mind! Hope you hear something soon!:xf:

Why does it seem that February is light years away? :eek:

Why does it seem that February is light years away? :eek:

:smuggrin:... throughout this process, days and even hours have seemed light-years away at some points. Hang in there. It might be sooner for you, but I just wanted to let you know what they told the people who interviewed this weekend. I think I've started to come to terms with the waiting game.... took me long enough!:eek: (Of course it wasn't until after I got a few interviews I wanted so maybe that was it lol)