The Support Group - A place for admissions-related rants and worries.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've just done this too many times to be perky about it anymore.

No, I have not and will not apply out of the country. There's a long story that some folks on here know - I applied and was accepted to Edinburgh, and after much agonizing and visiting the school, I decided to decline. Overseas is simply not an option for me at this time.

Whyever - if you want anyone to kick some butt for you, please let me know. I've still got the rest of my year off and I'm starting to feel REALLY bored.

Members don't see this ad.

*big hugs* to everyone on this thread. It's a tough time to be on SDN for those of us who have been through this before and still have no good news. I think the Fitness thread is keeping me sane.

JMJ- I saw you got an interview for the Vet Foundation program at SGU, way to go!

DVMD- Work is crazy! Kick some booty at those interviews.

NStarz - I know money is a factor but Minnesota has a raptor center as well, and I can't recommend the people there enough. I grew up in St. Paul and have a bias, but I'd pick it over Illinois any day. Also, dude, good luck with FL.

and now my rant...
WTH Western!? My app still says "materials received" you told me two weeks ago that it was going to review that week. This lack of news makes me feel like the cycle is over, as all I have left are WesternU and Davis. I'm 95% sure Davis is going to laugh at my app and send the rejection letter. No news is not a sign of hope for me, not after last cycle.
I suppose I just need to buck it up and apply to SGU

Just declined my invites to Auburn and Minnesota...hopefully someone on here will get my interviews!!! <3

Members don't see this ad :)
WTH Western!? My app still says "materials received" you told me two weeks ago that it was going to review that week. This lack of news makes me feel like the cycle is over, as all I have left are WesternU and Davis. I'm 95% sure Davis is going to laugh at my app and send the rejection letter. No news is not a sign of hope for me, not after last cycle.
I suppose I just need to buck it up and apply to SGU

If it makes you feel any better, mine still says "Application Materials Received" and my interview is next Tuesday lol. I wouldn't worry what that page says.... it never changed for me. It was about 2 or 3 weeks between when mine went for review and when I got the interview invite. I know other SDN members who waited almost 4-5 weeks before getting the invite. Don't stress yet, there is DEFINITELY still hope for Western!

NStarz- I'll take your Minn interview! purdy please?! :laugh:

FTB- Thank you! And PLEASE apply to SGU! Either do the foundation semester with me or apply for January! We can be buddies!! :highfive:
Emiloo- I used Proactiv for a loooong time, and it seriously was like a wonder system for me. I cannot reccomend it enough. Not only does it get RID of acne, but it literally turns your complexion totally around. Mine was like a baby's bottom!!! AND it starts working right away. It's amazing. :thumbup:

I used Proactiv for a loooong time, and it seriously was like a wonder system for me. I cannot reccomend it enough. Not only does it get RID of acne, but it literally turns your complexion totally around. Mine was like a baby's bottom!!! AND it starts working right away. It's amazing. :thumbup:

I used proactiv previously and it did work for me. I stopped using it ($$) and now when I try to go back it just makes my face so much worse... I guess I just need to suck it up and get over that 2 week hump of a pimply face lol. You're right though, it does make your skin feel like a baby's bottom :D Thanks!

Does anyone have "the cure all" for acne? (Obviously not or there wouldn't be such a huge industry for it lol) I never had a pimple in my life until I turned 23, and now I get them on my face, chest, and back. It's usually not terrible, but enough to bother me. Lucky for me, I just got two symmetrical pimples on both sides of my face... just in time for my Kansas interview this weekend! :eek: I have been to dermatologists, and I can't seem to get it under control... anyone wanna share what works for them? :oops:

FTB- Thank you! And PLEASE apply to SGU! Either do the foundation semester with me or apply for January! We can be buddies!! :highfive:
Emiloo- I used Proactiv for a loooong time, and it seriously was like a wonder system for me. I cannot reccomend it enough. Not only does it get RID of acne, but it literally turns your complexion totally around. Mine was like a baby's bottom!!! AND it starts working right away. It's amazing. :thumbup:
Totally missed this topic, I might have to try proactiv. My acne is mostly under control until I get stressed out, but I say mostly, cause there's always something by my hairline if I'm not careful.

I am trying to motivate myself to apply to SGU but I feel like doing it now would be giving up on a shot at Western. I know that's stupid and false logic, but I'm having a heck of a time getting past the mental block. Part of why I want Western to s*** or get off the pot.

Definitely doesn't hurt to apply, if you can afford the $50. The application is pretty painless :thumbup:

Does anyone have "the cure all" for acne? (Obviously not or there wouldn't be such a huge industry for it lol) I never had a pimple in my life until I turned 23, and now I get them on my face, chest, and back. It's usually not terrible, but enough to bother me. Lucky for me, I just got two symmetrical pimples on both sides of my face... just in time for my Kansas interview this weekend! :eek: I have been to dermatologists, and I can't seem to get it under control... anyone wanna share what works for them? :oops:

I use LUSH face wash and moisturizer- it hasn't completely taken care of my acne, but it's a lot better than it was. They have a couple of different kinds, depending on your skin type- I've used dark angels and herbalism, and they're both great. Check it out, yo!
http://www.lushusa.com/shop/products/face/cleansers/

I use LUSH face wash and moisturizer- it hasn't completely taken care of my acne, but it's a lot better than it was. They have a couple of different kinds, depending on your skin type- I've used dark angels and herbalism, and they're both great. Check it out, yo!
http://www.lushusa.com/shop/products/face/cleansers/
Hmm, my problems with LUSH come from a previous roommate using their products in the communal shower. Nothing makes your bathroom funkier than natural food grade products. Didn't help that we had a previous mold issue, but the mold ONLY grew in the corner where the lush was at after the sanitizing and new grout.
Not saying they don't work, but be aware they leave residue.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, my problems with LUSH come from a previous roommate using their products in the communal shower. Nothing makes your bathroom funkier than natural food grade products. Didn't help that we had a previous mold issue, but the mold ONLY grew in the corner where the lush was at after the sanitizing and new grout.
Not saying they don't work, but be aware they leave residue.

hehe I was just coming on here to say I went ahead and bought some... :laugh: Guess I'll see for myself! :D

hehe I was just coming on here to say I went ahead and bought some... :laugh: Guess I'll see for myself! :D

Ohh- which kind?! I'm kind of an addict, I'm about to spend way too much there right now! :laugh:

OSU is driving me crazy. I called this afternoon, and Shayna in the office told me they would resend a copy of the email they had sent me later this afternoon. She didn't say what it said, and it's been almost an hour now. Oh, the anxiety! :scared:

Emiloo,
I am on BC that really helps my acne (Gianvi) plus the added benefit if no babies and shorter regular "angry lady" days. There is also a product similar to proactive but half the price in most drug stores called 10 something. Can't remember the full name but it has worked for me. The best skin I ever had was afte taking acutane, but that stuff can mess you up. I never had any problems with it but the warnings were pretty freaky.

Emiloo,
I am on BC that really helps my acne (Gianvi) plus the added benefit if no babies and shorter regular "angry lady" days. There is also a product similar to proactive but half the price in most drug stores called 10 something. Can't remember the full name but it has worked for me. The best skin I ever had was afte taking acutane, but that stuff can mess you up. I never had any problems with it but the warnings were pretty freaky.

Yeah my brother, boyfriend(previous), and best friend were all on acutane at the same time and it REALLY screwed up my brother's liver... the other two were fine but I remember their skin being so dry it literally cracked! OUCH! My acne isn't nearly bad enough for acutane, but I'm a freak about every little pimple. And I always get those skin colored tiny bumps (which only I can see but OBSESS about) on my forehead. I will look for that "10 something" ;) next time I hit the store. I need to get back on BC as well. I have been on Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo previously but it only helps a little bit. I will definitely look into the Gianvi! Thanks! :thumbup:

Ohh- which kind?! I'm kind of an addict, I'm about to spend way too much there right now! :laugh:

I bought the Fresh Farmacy and Vanishing Cream. I notice that when I wash my face, I dry it out so much that my skin freaks out and tries to overcompensate in its oil production, so I need a nice moisturizer too. I have very sensitive skin which I think is half the problem. Yeah the price was a little steep (for the cream mostly) but it's worth it to me right now. I'd like to feel confident in my interviews, not look like a 14 year old girl on her period! :oops: If I'm gonna spend a grand on 2 interviews, I'll spend $50 on trying to look presentable :).

I bought the Fresh Farmacy and Vanishing Cream. I notice that when I wash my face, I dry it out so much that my skin freaks out and tries to overcompensate in its oil production, so I need a nice moisturizer too. I have very sensitive skin which I think is half the problem. Yeah the price was a little steep (for the cream mostly) but it's worth it to me right now. I'd like to feel confident in my interviews, not look like a 14 year old girl on her period! :oops: If I'm gonna spend a grand on 2 interviews, I'll spend $50 on trying to look presentable :).

i have terribly sensitive AND dry skin...it's like the worst combination ever :(

if i ever use a face wash that is too harsh, my skin dries out and gets flaky and then gets all red and splotchy cuz it's so sensitive :eek:

if you're looking for a good daily moisturizing facial cleanser, i know that Basis has an AMAZING face wash that i use in the shower every day :) it's perfect, not that expensive, and works really well to keep my skin clear.

I used to be on BC because of my skin problems when I was 14. Worked wonders. If anybody is interested I can look up which kind it was when I'm back in my room.

I have the implanon now and was told the acne might get worse. I've had a tiny bit so far, but nothing too bad. I really hope it stays like that.
:luck:

i have terribly sensitive AND dry skin...it's like the worst combination ever :(

if i ever use a face wash that is too harsh, my skin dries out and gets flaky and then gets all red and splotchy cuz it's so sensitive :eek:

if you're looking for a good daily moisturizing facial cleanser, i know that Basis has an AMAZING face wash that i use in the shower every day :) it's perfect, not that expensive, and works really well to keep my skin clear.

Great, I'll add that to my list (I've heard good things about that as well). Thanks, Sunnex! :)

I like the vanishing cream a lot- it's really light, but still packs a punch! Their stuff also lasts forever- I've been using one jar of the enzymion almost every day for a year, and it's only a little more than half gone. I really hope you like it! :)

I like the vanishing cream a lot- it's really light, but still packs a punch! Their stuff also lasts forever- I've been using one jar of the enzymion almost every day for a year, and it's only a little more than half gone. I really hope you like it! :)

Oh great, good to know. I wasn't sure how long it would last! I will give you my testimony when it comes in :D

Edit: I just checked out the enzymion, not sure why I didn't see it before, but that will definitely be the next one I try!

Crap, someone got a rejection from Davis today. I thought I had another month to wait on them!

Yeah I saw that, they mentioned they are early on in the alphabet, so how soon you find out may depend on where your name is.

I feel like I've been all over this thread today, my bad... bored at work :D

Yeah that person was me. I also got a confirmation of them receiving my app a LOT earlier than most people- ealry Nov as compared to late Dec. Still strange to be the only one on there, but I will take that! That means the rest of you have a chance! Stange that there aren't any interview offers yet either. I don't think my app was THAT bad lol.

This is literally my exact same problem. My boyfriend makes fun of the fact that I take my face products with me everywhere (even just one overnight) because my face is just so sensitive and I hate the dread of trying something new and it wrecking my skin. Winter is especially the worst (though moving from the north drastically helped). I'm definitely going to have to check out this Basis face wash!!

Wish I knew. My face was fine until right before I turned 20. I went on low dose BC (Mircette/Kariva) the month before I left to study abroad in England. My face hasn't been the same since. It's been better since I've been back in the US and I think better since I switched to a slightly higher hormone dose (I'm now on Sprintec). I switched cause I started having issues with the Kariva after being on it for like 10 months...which I think was due to using the UK version which didn't have the even lower dose of hormones for the 4th week. However, stocking up on free BC was too hard to resist when I used to pay $15 for one month. My face isn't horrible now but I definitely have some dark spots/scarring from the past year or so which makes me self conscious. So let me know how the LUSH products work for you. I might have too look into them. I think I've also been finding that products with salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide actually seem to make me break out more so I'm just using a Biore foam cleanser at the moment which seems to help but might actually dry out my skin more. Just can't win...

Try again on a different computer. Or clear out your cookies and try again from your own. The airline sites are sneaky like that... Once they know you're serious about that flight (usually the second time you search it) the price goes way up.

Wha?? No.... Seriously??? :confused::eek::confused:

I've just done this too many times to be perky about it anymore.

No, I have not and will not apply out of the country. There's a long story that some folks on here know - I applied and was accepted to Edinburgh, and after much agonizing and visiting the school, I decided to decline. Overseas is simply not an option for me at this time.

Cheer up, Friend! No news is not bad news at all. You are still in the running and being considered. You are in a good place and are so deserving of an acceptance. I have really, really good vibes for you this cycle. Keep trucking along and have faith.:thumbup: Sorry about your horsey :(

The pizza/beer thing.....now THAT would get me upset. :boom:

Proactiv didn't work for me. I used it for years, I don't even know why. Plus, they're kind of evil.

I use the Clinique Acne Solutions products now. I think they work a lot better on my skin (quite sensitive, probably comparable to what Sunnex described). It's actually around the same price as a month of Proactiv, but you order it when you need it. One of my problems with Proactiv was that I would run out of step 2 way faster than the other ones. Now I have buttloads of extra steps 1 and 3. I also like the smell of Clinique a lot better.

My older sister is an esthetician and she detests Proactiv. Absolutely hates the stuff.

I have incredibly sensitive, combination, breaks-out-at-the-drop-of-a-hat skin. I did two courses of Accutane as a teen that got it somewhat under control, but I still break out when I'm stressed. I've had good success so far with the Body Shop's Tea Tree products.

. I think I've also been finding that products with salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide actually seem to make me break out more so I'm just using a Biore foam cleanser at the moment which seems to help but might actually dry out my skin more. Just can't win...

I use the exact same thing right now. I really like it but I think it is starting to really dry out my skin and cause it to over-oil-itself :confused: *sigh* I will let you know how the LUSH works...

My older sister is an esthetician and she detests Proactiv. Absolutely hates the stuff.

I have incredibly sensitive, combination, breaks-out-at-the-drop-of-a-hat skin. I did two courses of Accutane as a teen that got it somewhat under control, but I still break out when I'm stressed. I've had good success so far with the Body Shop's Tea Tree products.

Awesome... adding to my list, thanks!:D And yeah, proactive worked well for me, but I'm not huge on buying hyped up products... my skin is too sensitive for it I think. I try to use strong things to rid the acne, but I'm pretty sure it's only making it work... time for something more gentle and natural. Hopefully LUSH will do the trick for a while. It seems like as soon as I find something I like, my skin gets immune and turns on me again... then it's on to the next product :confused:

The bcp Yaz helped with my skin a bit, but the best for me has been prescription Spironolactone from my dermatologist! It's great for the stupid hormonal crud, like the big pissed off inflamed jerks that hurt and you wanna squeeze but there's nothing but a little oil in them. I was off it for a while and my face freaked out right before my Ohio interview! Big honkers with tons of dry skin...yeeeeaah. I'm back on and my face is finally starting to behave! I got a Clarisonic brush right before the Ohio interview, and I really like it! $$$ though :(

I love the tea tree stuff from The Body Shop, Bliss' Fabulous Foaming Face cleanser, and CeraVe for moisturizer (recommended by my derm).

Rant: Either my many medications or something else are causing me to sweat uncontrollably, and just on my head/face! :mad: It happens if there's a slight increase in temperature, or if I'm walking slightly faster than normal. Of course, it has happened on both vet school tours I've been on. My hair gets messed up, my makeup gets icky, etc etc etc. It's SO embarrassing!!!!! I'm overweight, but I've been with people bigger and more out of shape than me, and they'll be just fine.....

nordicat -- i've been thinking of getting the clarisonic brush cuz i've heard such great things about it! don't they have a mini one too?

Yeah that person was me. I also got a confirmation of them receiving my app a LOT earlier than most people- ealry Nov as compared to late Dec. Still strange to be the only one on there, but I will take that! That means the rest of you have a chance! Stange that there aren't any interview offers yet either. I don't think my app was THAT bad lol.

Last year and year before they did this too, a bunch of OOS rejections popped up here around late January and then nobody heard anything else until interview invites in mid-Feb.

Rant: Either my many medications or something else are causing me to sweat uncontrollably, and just on my head/face! :mad: It happens if there's a slight increase in temperature, or if I'm walking slightly faster than normal. Of course, it has happened on both vet school tours I've been on. My hair gets messed up, my makeup gets icky, etc etc etc. It's SO embarrassing!!!!! I'm overweight, but I've been with people bigger and more out of shape than me, and they'll be just fine.....

I sort of have this issue. I'm in pretty good shape but am just a sweaty person. It's rather gross. I'm seriously like a man at the gym. It still happens to my forehead/back but I find that less embarrassing than when it was my arm pits. I was sooo embarrassed and would always wear like a sweatshirt or something to hide it. But it was weird because I would feel really cold but be sweating. Probably have some sort of thermoregulation issue I should get checked. The bf says I'm like a furnace when I visit him. The ex used to say the same thing as well. I've been using a prescription anti-perspirant called Hypercare/Drysol (one of those is the generic version) twice a week for like two years now and don't have anymore issues. It supposedly can be applied to hands/forehead, etc. but I haven't done that yet. Feel weird doing that without the okay from a doctor though. Plus it cause some minor skin irritation/itchiness sometimes the night/day after application. Really don't need to irritate my forehead.

I sort of have this issue. I'm in pretty good shape but am just a sweaty person. It's rather gross. I'm seriously like a man at the gym. It still happens to my forehead/back but I find that less embarrassing than when it was my arm pits. I was sooo embarrassed and would always wear like a sweatshirt or something to hide it. But it was weird because I would feel really cold but be sweating. Probably have some sort of thermoregulation issue I should get checked. The bf says I'm like a furnace when I visit him. The ex used to say the same thing as well. I've been using a prescription anti-perspirant called Hypercare/Drysol (one of those is the generic version) twice a week for like two years now and don't have anymore issues. It supposedly can be applied to hands/forehead, etc. but I haven't done that yet. Feel weird doing that without the okay from a doctor though. Plus it cause some minor skin irritation/itchiness sometimes the night/day after application. Really don't need to irritate my forehead.

I used to have problems with perspiration. It started when I was 12 and was uber embarrassing. Mostly it was underarm sweat. I believe there is a condition for excessive perspiration and I think it's called hyperhydrosis. One solution for this is botox injections, something I was unwilling to try. I found a roll-on night treatment sold OTC called Certain-Dri and I've been using it ever since, It works great! Can't really speak for the safety of the product though. I think it has amuminum or something in it. I think it's only for underarm use too.

I used to have problems with perspiration. It started when I was 12 and was uber embarrassing. Mostly it was underarm sweat. I believe there is a condition for excessive perspiration and I think it's called hyperhydrosis. One solution for this is botox injections, something I was unwilling to try. I found a roll-on night treatment sold OTC called Certain-Dri and I've been using it ever since, It works great! Can't really speak for the safety of the product though. I think it has amuminum or something in it. I think it's only for underarm use too.

I didn't try that one, but other OTC clinical strength one's failed me and didn't last long since they required you to put it on every night. =( My prescription one lasts me forever though. My previous bottle lasted almost an entire year I think.

Omg the SUCKY SUCKY SUCKY state school I'm attending for prereqs NEVER sent out my transcripts!!!! I ordered them a month ago, they charged my card, I paid that off, and NOTHING? I even went over to harass them, and they were like DERR, DON'T KNOW. HERE'S SOME NUMBERS!

Called them, mailboxes were full. Plus I nearly got ran over by some crazy lady who later pulled up to me, said something surreptitiously and then drove off. GAHDGKRMWKOSS!!!!!

Omg the SUCKY SUCKY SUCKY state school I'm attending for prereqs NEVER sent out my transcripts!!!! I ordered them a month ago, they charged my card, I paid that off, and NOTHING? I even went over to harass them, and they were like DERR, DON'T KNOW. HERE'S SOME NUMBERS!

Called them, mailboxes were full. Plus I nearly got ran over by some crazy lady who later pulled up to me, said something surreptitiously and then drove off. GAHDGKRMWKOSS!!!!!
Urgh, was it a CSU? Go back in to that registrar's office and make enough of a stink that they PRINT THEM RIGHT NOW AND SHOW THEM TO YOU, then stick it in the mail at no charge. They usually will. Or you'll get a real live person who will help you get it done.

ETA: I have this urge to go throttle them for you.

Urgh, was it a CSU? Go back in to that registrar's office and make enough of a stink that they PRINT THEM RIGHT NOW AND SHOW THEM TO YOU, then stick it in the mail at no charge. They usually will. Or you'll get a real live person who will help you get it done.

ETA: I have this urge to go throttle them for you.

YES IT WAS!!!! I finally got them on the phone, took them 8 minutes to list the 8 schools I was sending them to, and he sent them rushed (no charge) to the two places that have so far said nope haven't received.

But you may throttle them AND that crazy biotch if youd like :D . I swear, maybe this is why western hasn't gotten back to me either?

RAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRR! :mad: My local community college did something similar to me last time I applied!! U of I called me like 2 days before everything was due to tell me they didn't have my fall grades and they weren't on the transcript they received. I freaked, pulled out the copy of my request for the CC, and saw that I TOTALLY had checked the box saying "Send when grades from SUMMER semester are available". They sent it right away and sent the SPRING grades only. Jerks! So, I stormed over to the CC, presented my receipt, they pulled their copy that said they sent it before summer grades were in and apologized profusely. I said "Just give me a copy of them now and I'll overnight it!!!!" :thumbdown: I didn't trust them to take care of that for me. :laugh:

Hope this doesn't cause any huge issues for you!!! :xf:

I hope so too!!! I did check the fall box also. *****s. Funny, my cc sent things properly. Sad thing is that I had issues with the cal state when I sent my first transcripts. Apparently I had a hold caused by some stupid girl not charging me the right amount of tuition, and they SNAILMAILED to me that the trans couldn't be sent until I resolved the hold. Couldn't you have EMAILED ME? My god.

Phones?? :rolleyes: [I made phone calls this past week. They were the highlight:)]

best of luck with tracking down these frackin' offices, TigerWillow! The automation is great......especially when you call, leaves messages and receive an email a week later. With one word. :hungover: Sometimes, I wonder.... Last year, I did all of my stuff myself. Nothing got lost. shocker there:annoyed: Did I still have "miscommunications" with my undergrad offices? :nod:

So I got an email back from Tufts today - I am on the interview alternate list.

The mothereffing interview alternate list.

What the everloving mother effing eff? WHAT THE HE**!?!?! Seriously? This ENTIRE EFFING WEEK had been ridiculous and exhausting and frustrating and made me want to kick people in their gonads and this seriously tops it off. After 3 applications and doing literally everything discussed in my file review?
:mad: :poke: :bullcrap: :boom:

Oh whyevernot. I'm so sorry. I'm really sick of being on the effinmothereffin interview waitlist too. They said you can hear as late as a week before feb 8, makin it feb 1.

Thanks Kaydubs and nordicat for your support! I think most of the schools wanted to have Transcripts sent directly from the UGs. Ugh

Last edited: