Touro COM - New York (TouroCOM-NY) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Withdrew my application this morning. Should be a Jan. 28th interview spot now open. Best of luck to all of you!

Members don't see this ad.

For those accepted, how long after the interview did you receive a letter?

Members don't see this ad :)
My aacomas was verified on 11/13 and delivered on 11/22. I received a secondary right away from DMU, an acknowledgement from Marian, but no reply yet from this school or UNECOM. Does TOURO-NY take awhile to acknowledge that they received your aacomas app?

My aacomas was verified on 11/13 and delivered on 11/22. I received a secondary right away from DMU, an acknowledgement from Marian, but no reply yet from this school or UNECOM. Does TOURO-NY take awhile to acknowledge that they received your aacomas app?

TOURO sends out secondaries based on merit, they are not given to everyone, so they are probably still looking over your app.

hey, how long should it take to receive an ii after being complete?

How long does it usually take for them to take the deposit amount from your account? Its been a week and i just want to make sure they accepted it. I called but they are kind of hard to get a hold of I noticed....

I'm a first year, but when I sent my deposit in it took about 2-3 weeks maybe. If you sent the form, and hopefully you sent it USPS with confirmation, then they received.

I'm a first year, but when I sent my deposit in it took about 2-3 weeks maybe. If you sent the form, and hopefully you sent it USPS with confirmation, then they received.

Thanks. I called at the beginning of the week and confirmed they received the letter. Also, do you have as hard a time getting hold of admin as people calling?

Interviewed 11/19/12. Acceptance letter today! Good luck all!:love:

Members don't see this ad :)
interviewed two weeks ago, and received my acceptance letter today. OMG, so quick! Isn't it supposed to be 6 weeks?

Does anyone know if the school offers free/discounted board/shelf prep subscriptions?

interviewed two weeks ago, and received my acceptance letter today. OMG, so quick! Isn't it supposed to be 6 weeks?

The Admissions at Touro NY can take up to 6 weeks to issue a decision; my acceptance, however, also came extraordinarily early, and I was definitely pushed into an interesting corner regarding the 2 week $2,000 deposit due date! When it came down to it, I declined the acceptance offer in favor of another school that would not only offer me a comparably lovely education, but also more time to hear back from other schools before such an extreme level of financial commitment...

The Admissions at Touro NY can take up to 6 weeks to issue a decision; my acceptance, however, also came extraordinarily early, and I was definitely pushed into an interesting corner regarding the 2 week $2,000 deposit due date! When it came down to it, I declined the acceptance offer in favor of another school that would not only offer me a comparably lovely education, but also more time to hear back from other schools before such an extreme level of financial commitment...

Congrats on your acceptance! and best of luck at wherever you end up choosing :) Any tips or advice for the interview?! Is it open or closed file?

Interviewed 11/19 acceptance letter 12/01!!! Good luck everyone!

Gahhh I interviewed 11/19 as well no word yet. I thought I did amazing.

Earlier in this thread, people mentioned that after interviews, ppl were waitlisted and denied if their MCAT scores were average/borderline average. Should I re-take my MCAT even if I have an interview scheduled already, and if I do re-take, should I inform the school and request them to wait on my new MCAT score?

Congrats on your acceptance! and best of luck at wherever you end up choosing :) Any tips or advice for the interview?! Is it open or closed file?

This advice came from the Dean of Admissions for the D.O. school at Touro (paraphrased, of course): "Answer the question directly. Then give an explanation if you have to. For example, if I ask you what your MCAT score is, answer your score. Don't say "um," don't start playing with your hair, don't justify your score before you answer my question, just come right out and say it. 31--or whatever it may be. Tell me what I want to know. Then justify."

Both of my interviewers had a copy of my application in front of them and asked relevant questions. Know your application well, especially how long you participated in relevant extracurriculars/clinical research/lab research projects. One young woman I interviewed with was drilled on her experience as an assistant school nurse--she was asked, multiple times, how long she participated in this extracurricular and what she did exactly. Remember to stay calm if you interviewers keep asking you the same questions and you keep having to provide the same reply--even though it feels stressful and as if they are not listening to you, they may be using a tactic called "stress interviewing" to see how you handle pressure. This young woman, even though she felt like she did horribly, kept her calm and was accepted.

Be prepared to talk about how a diverse patient population makes you shine brighter than the sun.

Be prepared to answer "why NY" and "why Harlem" in particular.

Hope this helps! Let me know how it goes :)

Best of luck to you,
MB

anybody from the 11/12 interviews hear back yet?

Be prepared to talk about how a diverse patient population makes you shine brighter than the sun.

Be prepared to answer "why NY" and "why Harlem" in particular.

Hope this helps! Let me know how it goes :)

Best of luck to you,
MB

Yes x2. I was grilled about timelines in my application (??)

anybody from the 11/12 interviews hear back yet?

Yeah, I was in the 11/12 afternoon group. Were you in my group? I received my letter of acceptance on Saturday. Seriously considering going here. Trying to find out more infomation about rotations before I make a decision.

As for interview tips. It is true that they utilize pressure in their interview and its a very informal process. For example in my interview, one of the interviewers pretended that a class I took was not listed in my Transcript. One of them also yawned continually and acted as if she wasn't listening as I was talking. They have a good cop bad cop type of thing going. And as for why I say informal... talking with the other kids I had the interview with, they all were asked very different questions and faced different personalities.

My tip is to really have answers prepared for the basic questions... such as why harlem and why underserved areas with specific examples of your experience that can back up that claim. Make sure you are introspective. They already have your application in front of you so theres no purpose to regurgitate that. Reflect and say how it impacted your desires and thoughts. It sounds cliche but My other tip is to be yourself and don't lie. You've gotten to the interview so they like something about you already. All they want to make sure is that your not crazy and that your not just some nerd that looks good on paper but doesn't have social sense.

Anyone else considering going here that has been accepted? Its really hard to get information on this school because they are a relatively new institution.

Yeah, I was in the 11/12 afternoon group. Were you in my group? I received my letter of acceptance on Saturday. Seriously considering going here. Trying to find out more infomation about rotations before I make a decision.

As for interview tips. It is true that they utilize pressure in their interview and its a very informal process. For example in my interview, one of the interviewers pretended that a class I took was not listed in my Transcript. One of them also yawned continually and acted as if she wasn't listening as I was talking. They have a good cop bad cop type of thing going. And as for why I say informal... talking with the other kids I had the interview with, they all were asked very different questions and faced different personalities.

My tip is to really have answers prepared for the basic questions... such as why harlem and why underserved areas with specific examples of your experience that can back up that claim. Make sure you are introspective. They already have your application in front of you so theres no purpose to regurgitate that. Reflect and say how it impacted your desires and thoughts. It sounds cliche but My other tip is to be yourself and don't lie. You've gotten to the interview so they like something about you already. All they want to make sure is that your not crazy and that your not just some nerd that looks good on paper but doesn't have social sense.

Anyone else considering going here that has been accepted? Its really hard to get information on this school because they are a relatively new institution.

Thanks for the insight! What school did u like better, Touro or AZCOM?

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Just got waitlisted today.KRAP. This is my top choice and I did amazing in the interview.

does anyone know how the waitlist works here?

I'm considering- if you get any more info on rotations pls post! :D

Thanks for the insight! What school did u like better, Touro or AZCOM?

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Your a smart kid Ravi. How'd you figure out it was me so quick? lol jk. I dunno man. As I was saying yesterday... AZCOM had a basketball court and hot chicks :love:. So i'll prolly go off of that.

Really though I'm unsure of what to think of both schools. I'm hesitant on AZCOM because of rotations, in that they have locations in so many different states. The idea that I might potentially spend 4 weeks in Chicago then 4 weeks in California is not appealing.

I'm hesitant on Touro too. One they've only graduated two classes so there's little info on it. And 90% of students end up in residencies exclusively on the east coast. So I feel that there's less flexibility in post-grad options, in terms of region.

Your a smart kid Ravi. How'd you figure out it was me so quick? lol jk. I dunno man. As I was saying yesterday... AZCOM had a basketball court and hot chicks :love:. So i'll prolly go off of that.

Really though I'm unsure of what to think of both schools. I'm hesitant on AZCOM because of rotations, in that they have locations in so many different states. The idea that I might potentially spend 4 weeks in Chicago then 4 weeks in California is not appealing.

I'm hesitant on Touro too. One they've only graduated two classes so there's little info on it. And 90% of students end up in residencies exclusively on the east coast. So I feel that there's less flexibility in post-grad options, in terms of region.

I loved AZCOM too, the two drawbacks I saw were the rotations as you mentioned, and also the strict no podcasting of lectures.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Just got waitlisted today.KRAP. This is my top choice and I did amazing in the interview.

does anyone know how the waitlist works here?

Not speaking from experience but I heard something about them having a call list and if they call you and you don't pick up, you're, as they say, 'SOL' and passed over. Just something I've heard though.

You would be applying for the class of 2017.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using SDN Mobile

I was in the afternoon too. I was the guy from Virginia. Sent my deposit in today and I'm 99 percent sure I'm going to decide to go here

Last edited:
Not speaking from experience but I heard something about them having a call list and if they call you and you don't pick up, you're, as they say, 'SOL' and passed over. Just something I've heard though.

I can confirm this is true. This question was raised by someone during my interview session and Touro acknowledged this.

I was in the afternoon too. I was the guy from Virginia. Sent my deposit in today and I'm 99 percent sure I'm going to decide to go here

Ahhh. For sure man. I was the Asian guy that sat next to you that talked a lot. We talked about how bad the ACC is lol.

PM sent ...

Last edited:
I can confirm this is true. This question was raised by someone during my interview session and Touro acknowledged this.

Do you remember what the question was exactly and how they answered it...or was there any discussion about it? Sorry to pest about it but being waitlisted was devastating to me!

I have also been reading on other threads that they go by MCAT score when picking people off of the waitlist. Of course anyone can write anything on these threads..but a few people on different threads said they called and talked to the dean or asked the dean of student affairs in person and he confirmed that they do that. It could be different this year..but they did it last cycle.

Do you remember what the question was exactly and how they answered it...or was there any discussion about it? Sorry to pest about it but being waitlisted was devastating to me!

I have also been reading on other threads that they go by MCAT score when picking people off of the waitlist. Of course anyone can write anything on these threads..but a few people on different threads said they called and talked to the dean or asked the dean of student affairs in person and he confirmed that they do that. It could be different this year..but they did it last cycle.

Check your PM

Info about rotations:
in NYC- St. Johns in Queens, Staten Island University Hospital, few students at St. Lukes-Roosevelt
Nyack Hospital
Jersey- Trinitas in Elizabeth
The NJREMC is 4 hospitals + many clinics (info: http://tourocom.com/ )
There are two sites upstate as well, in Utica and Binghamton- however these are both optional and no students are at any point required to rotate there.

And 90% of students end up in residencies exclusively on the east coast. So I feel that there's less flexibility in post-grad options, in terms of region.

This has much more to do with the regions where touro grads want to go than anything else.

Interesting. Are most of the sites commuting distance from the school? I also remember them saying at the interview that during the 3rd year the student is in the same hospital for the entire year... which is appealing. I thought having to live some where else after each rotation would be a pain.

Interesting. Are most of the sites commuting distance from the school? I also remember them saying at the interview that during the 3rd year the student is in the same hospital for the entire year... which is appealing. I thought having to live some where else after each rotation would be a pain.

Google the TouroCOM sga, they have a map of all rotations and what is offered there. Not all sites offer the entire M3 rotations

Moving may be inconvenient, but most people would agree that paying 1000+/month for no reason for 2 years doesn't make that much sense. For those not rotating in the city, moving seems more reasonable.

I'm talking within the same year. You'd have to take out a month to month lease.

Anybody else interviewing on the 10th? if interested in splitting a cab to/from touro or getting food the night before, let me know!

Cabs were soooo expensive. I stayed in Queens it was 40 bucks one way. A real bummer.

I'm talking within the same year. You'd have to take out a month to month lease.

I don't know how many of us in this thread are NYC'ers but I've lived here for a while and I can tell you that month to month leases are very very rare, nearly nonexistent. Month to month verbal agreements are still uncommon but can be found with some searching. The difference is stability. You cannot and will not be pushed out of a month to month lease, but a verbal agreement or sublease you have almost no actual legal recourse if the landlord/apartment owner changes their mind or ups the rent. On the other hand, going into a year long lease agreement (not month to month), you will find it extremely time consuming, difficult, and potentially expensive to break that lease if you needed to. Just a heads up.