Touro COM - New York (TouroCOM-NY) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Cabs were soooo expensive. I stayed in Queens it was 40 bucks one way. A real bummer.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using SDN Mobile

I might try testing out public transportation. There's a bus that goes from LaGuardia to right by the school. Will give myself some buffer time, so if I get lost or something I can still call a cab!

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Members don't see this ad.

I might try testing out public transportation. There's a bus that goes from LaGuardia to right by the school. Will give myself some buffer time, so if I get lost or something I can still call a cab!

Sent from my Galaxy S2

The M60 takes you right to the door of the school, but it stops every block once it gets into Harlem so depending on the amount of passengers, you could be in for a long ride.

Regardless, whether you take a cab or a bus, make sure to leave yourself sufficient time, New York traffic can be quite ridiculous especially for out of town people.

The M60 takes you right to the door of the school, but it stops every block once it gets into Harlem so depending on the amount of passengers, you could be in for a long ride.

Regardless, whether you take a cab or a bus, make sure to leave yourself sufficient time, New York traffic can be quite ridiculous especially for out of town people.

Thanks for the advice. I actually ended up cancelling my interview.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw you got into Nova, congrats from a fellow Canadian!

Flew into JFK and stayed at Q4 hostel in Queens and took the subway the whole time, wasn't that expensive, and it only took like 20 minutes to get to the school, I scoped it out the day I got there so I made sure exactly what trains to get on. Just make sure you know where you are going, I have an iPhone and got the NYC embark app, it's free and helps you navigate the subway.

What would y'all say are the strongest aspects of this school?

I've been complete here since Oct. 17th, and haven't heard anything since (except for a duplicate email sent mid-November). I called here yesterday and they said people complete mid-October should hear a response (either ii/rejection) by the end of next week. Just thought I'd share, and I'm curious, is anyone else in a similar situation?

I've been complete here since Oct. 17th, and haven't heard anything since (except for a duplicate email sent mid-November). I called here yesterday and they said people complete mid-October should hear a response (either ii/rejection) by the end of next week. Just thought I'd share, and I'm curious, is anyone else in a similar situation?

I was complete in early October and haven't heard anything.

Complete end of Oct and no word either.

I would shoot Mr. Sow an email or try to call. I thought I was complete since September, but when I emailed him it turned out that they were missing one of my LORs.

Is it a little late in the cycle to apply here?
OOS applicant
3.2 science
3.5 overall
26R mcat
bunch of extracurriculars

for all those who have received ii's, how long did it take for you to receive the invitation after your application was officially complete? I over-nighted my secondary and all other materials earlier today and hope to be complete by tomorrow.

Furthermore, I was hoping you guys could assess my chances (wanted to be school-specific rather than the general). My stats are 2.9 cgpa, 3.7 sgpa, 31Q MCAT. I know that i sent in my secondary extremely late for most schools but I am hoping that the extensive screening process gives me a better chance here timing wise.

Thanks guys,
jrobin

Members don't see this ad :)
for all those who have received ii's, how long did it take for you to receive the invitation after your application was officially complete? I over-nighted my secondary and all other materials earlier today and hope to be complete by tomorrow.

Secondary Received on Oct 23
II Received on Nov 13

Sent in my deposit two days ago...

Anyone know if there's a facebook page or group for Touro COM? It'd be nice to meet some of the Class of 2017.

I sent my deposit in last week
and I sent it certified so I know it's there , but I haven't heard anything back from the school since.

Anyone know if there's a facebook page or group for Touro COM? It'd be nice to meet some of the Class of 2017.

Usually someone just makes one and posts the link here. Congrats!

Usually someone just makes one and posts the link here. Congrats!

+1. Congrats! Yes, someone please take the initiative to start one up haha.

Received my acceptance letter in the mail yesterday! I interviewed 12/03. Good luck to everyone!

I sent my deposit in last week
and I sent it certified so I know it's there , but I haven't heard anything back from the school since.

Sent in my deposit 12/08, just got an email that they cashed it.

Last edited:
so have people been getting interviews lately?? :scared:

Same situation... thanks so much for the update.

Sent in my deposit 12/08, just got an email that they cashed it.
I'm guessing you sent in a check right??? I also sent in my deposit, but I didn't get an email yet. Anyone else in the same position as me?

Did anyone else here who submitted a deposit receive the email? Sorry to bother you guys on this thread, but I'm getting a bit worried.

ii received 11/28!!!!!!
interview date 1/28.

anyone else interviewing this day?

stats: cGPA 3.45, sGPA 3.18, MCAT 26

Anyone complete in early September who still hasn't heard anything back?

I cancelled an interview last minute and thinking this is hurting my chances.

Anyone complete in early September who still hasn't heard anything back?

I cancelled an interview last minute and thinking this is hurting my chances.
I was complete in early September and still no response whatsoever (just a complete email). I tried emailing a few times but no replies. Maybe I should call the office??

EDIT: actually I did get a reply back in October 22nd that my file was STILL under review.

I was complete in early September and still no response whatsoever (just a complete email). I tried emailing a few times but no replies. Maybe I should call the office??

EDIT: actually I did get a reply back in October 22nd that my file was STILL under review.

I called twice. The first time they said I was under review and the second they said they do not give out information over the phone. Pretty weird. I don't mind being rejected. I just want closure!

That is weird. Last year I never heard back - a rejection, nothing. It's frustrating, but we may never hear back if we've been rejected.

That is weird. Last year I never heard back - a rejection, nothing. It's frustrating, but we may never hear back if we've been rejected.

Was this before or after a secondary or interview? Or did you just never hear back at all?

I called twice. The first time they said I was under review and the second they said they do not give out information over the phone. Pretty weird. I don't mind being rejected. I just want closure!

They won't give any information regarding acceptance or interview potential over the phone. They will make you wait for an acceptance/rejection in the mail, or email communication for other information. However, they will communicate via phone about details of your application post interview invite if necessary.

Was this before or after a secondary or interview? Or did you just never hear back at all?
Never heard back at all. I didn't receive a secondary. I'm not sure the correspondence if you do receive a secondary, but I have this year and no word except my application was complete.

I received a secondary and completed in early September and then haven't heard back. I contacted them several times, and they said my application is still under review.

I just received an acceptance letter! My first acceptance! On Christmas Eve! I interviewed on December 10th.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Thanks for the valuable information.

I applied to a lot of MD schools but I have a feeling I won't receive any acceptance letters anytime soon. I have a 3.3 / 30, is it too late to apply to this school? The deadline says no, but I don't want to pay 200 dollars so I can get waitlisted...

Does anyone know if there is already a facebook group for the class of 2017? I haven't been able to find one and would like to meet my future class mates:)

Does anyone know if there is already a facebook group for the class of 2017? I haven't been able to find one and would like to meet my future class mates:)

I've been looking for one as well but I don't think there is one.

At the risk of sounding stupid, are we waiting for TouroCOM to come up with an official FB group?

At the risk of sounding stupid, are we waiting for TouroCOM to come up with an official FB group?

...I posted this halfway up the page. Touro will not make one. Someone make one, and then there ya go! You have a FB page. Just post the link here so people know

Is the grade minimum a B for all the pre reqs for Touro NY? I got a B- for gen bio lab 1 (1.5 credits) but I got an A my second semester in gen bio lab 2. I no longer go to that school so I can't retake it. Any thoughts?

Is the grade minimum a B for all the pre reqs for Touro NY? I got a B- for gen bio lab 1 (1.5 credits) but I got an A my second semester in gen bio lab 2. I no longer go to that school so I can't retake it. Any thoughts?

I'm not on the adcom but if they like you otherwise I think they'll overlook it... Seems like a flexible rule.

I believe that you must get a B in any Pre-req you haven't taken yet