Touro COM - New York (TouroCOM-NY) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have heard that this school give out interview invites pretty easily.. is there a statistic that shows the percentage of applicants, invites, and acceptances?

Members don't see this ad.

I recently got verified and am real interested in attending touro NYC.. is it too late to submit a secondary? I have decent stats ~3.4science 32mcat

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed on 10/22 received acceptance letter 11/13

Just recieved an email saying that they have got my application and payment ... Same exact email that I got on 9/14..... Not sure what to make of it

interviewed on 10/22 as well. Received my acceptance today 11/13!!! :soexcited:

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!!! What'd you think of the school and how was your experience overall?
Honestly, I went into the interview expecting to be underwhelmed, mainly because I had seen pictures of how it looks on the outside. But the inside is a completely different story. Their facilities are brand new, anatomy lab is huge, and the administration seemed to genuinely care about your education and success. They are still trying to expand, so it's the same hang ups that come with any relatively new school, but from last year's match list and the likes, the students here are pretty successful.

Got my waitlist letter today. Interviewed on 10/15. Not surprised based upon how I failboated the interview. Good luck to the rest of ya!

Accepted! Letter came via mail.

Interview went extremely well.

Accepted as well. I don't want to sound ungracious, because this is my first and so far only acceptance, but asking to put $2000 for a non-refundable deposit going beyond any notion of absurdity. I have absolutely no guarantee of getting in anywhere else but I will genuinely consider rejecting the acceptance offer.

The $2000 deposit but a lot but is well worth it in the long run. It's counted towards your tuition anyway. I really want to live with some classmates because we'd be on the same schedule and this could keep the cost down. I know this is early but any other accepted students looking to start finding housing?

Accepted as well. I don't want to sound ungracious, because this is my first and so far only acceptance, but asking to put $2000 for a non-refundable deposit going beyond any notion of absurdity. I have absolutely no guarantee of getting in anywhere else but I will genuinely consider rejecting the acceptance offer.

Atta boy ! :confused:

When do you have to give the deposit by? I am interviewing here on Monday and have another interview in December and January. Already have to give a 1k deposit mid December for KCUMB.

The deposit is due two weeks after acceptance to hold your spot.

The $2000 deposit but a lot but is well worth it in the long run. It's counted towards your tuition anyway. I really want to live with some classmates because we'd be on the same schedule and this could keep the cost down. I know this is early but any other accepted students looking to start finding housing?

Don't start looking for housing until June/July. The turnover here is very fast. You'll find something. Congrats!

Interviewed 10/22, accepted 11/13. But don't think I'll be going here. Best of luck to everyone else!

Hi all! Recently accepted, but have declined this offer--this seems like a school that, in a short period of time, has made a nice name for itself. When I came to interview, admittedly, I was a little disheartened that they have yet to integrate an official medical spanish elective into their curriculum (last year, one of the Touro students hosted "sessions" for medical spanish--I applaud the initiative, but was hoping to build my knowledge base in a more systematic way).

Also, it seems that a lot of the community volunteer efforts (the mobile medical bus, for example) have not fully come to, er, fruition. Even so, a lot of individual students have managed to pave the way for their own projects...

On a personal level, I found the way that the curriculum is taught to be absolutely stellar--say you are learning immunology. The 'lecture' component will be recorded and you will watch this at home, on your own time. Class time is used exclusively for answering case study questions that utilize the lecture material--this seems like a hybrid, intensely guided version of PBL that I immediately fell in love with. I am sure that this school will be a great decision for a lot of people.

While this school was definitely high on my list (nice, diverse location, great teaching style, great patient population), I have decided to opt for a school with more international presence/opportunities in public health. Goodbye, Touro NY. You are the lover I never had.

Hi all! Recently accepted, but have declined this offer--this seems like a school that, in a short period of time, has made a nice name for itself. When I came to interview, admittedly, I was a little disheartened that they have yet to integrate an official medical spanish elective into their curriculum (last year, one of the Touro students hosted "sessions" for medical spanish--I applaud the initiative, but was hoping to build my knowledge base in a more systematic way).

Also, it seems that a lot of the community volunteer efforts (the mobile medical bus, for example) have not fully come to, er, fruition. Even so, a lot of individual students have managed to pave the way for their own projects...

On a personal level, I found the way that the curriculum is taught to be absolutely stellar--say you are learning immunology. The 'lecture' component will be recorded and you will watch this at home, on your own time. Class time is used exclusively for answering case study questions that utilize the lecture material--this seems like a hybrid, intensely guided version of PBL that I immediately fell in love with. I am sure that this school will be a great decision for a lot of people.

While this school was definitely high on my list (nice, diverse location, great teaching style, great patient population), I have decided to opt for a school with more international presence/opportunities in public health. Goodbye, Touro NY. You are the lover I never had.
lol...which school did you decide to go with instead

I troll SDN looking for interview info from time to time, but this is the first post I'm making in a forum.

Anyway, I received an ii on 11/13, but I can't make any of the dates they gave me unfortunately. Does anyone have any experience with requesting later interview dates, either at this school or others? Thanks!

Also if this is the wrong place for me to ask this question, I apologize and somebody let me know where it should be asked.

lol...which school did you decide to go with instead

Hi there!

After writing a response and then questioning whether or not I should post it so shamelessly for all to see, I PM'ed you about this one... :laugh:

I troll SDN looking for interview info from time to time, but this is the first post I'm making in a forum.

Anyway, I received an ii on 11/13, but I can't make any of the dates they gave me unfortunately. Does anyone have any experience with requesting later interview dates, either at this school or others? Thanks!

Also if this is the wrong place for me to ask this question, I apologize and somebody let me know where it should be asked.

I'm in the same boat. I can't make any of the November/December dates so I asked for one in January. They gave me one and only option of January 28th. Just explain your situation to them and they will be pretty accommodating.

I'm new to this site and I have an interview this upcoming monday...was wondering if anyone can give me any suggestions or some information on the interview...it's my first one so i'm a little nervous.. Thanks so much

OK. 1. Im a first year here at Touro and I love it so far.
2. For those of you who cant answer a simple, Why Harlem question. I STRONGLY encourage you not to apply. The school is smack in the middle of Harlem and you will be VERY familiar with the area if you go here, especially if you choose to live in the area.
3. You will not have enough time to get involved with the unsafe parts of Harlem, trust me.
4. For some people who are saying they don't want to pay $200, especially those saying their stats are lackluster, I encourage you to turn it in as soon as possible, unless you have interview offers raining on you, don't be the one who turns down an almost sure interview.
5. The itunes lectures work great, you chose when you want to watch your lectures and they are available for you at any time. Never need to ask yourself what you missed. You have to go to campus everyday, so don't worry if you are one of those who usually has to go to class to feel like good. Monday are test days, Tuesdays we have interactive sessions where you have questions and answers from the lectures you watch and you are also quizzed, Wednesdays are some live lectures and lab, Thursday and Friday are also lab days.
Any helpful hints for the interview? Mine is next week and i'm a little nervous

I'm in the same boat. I can't make any of the November/December dates so I asked for one in January. They gave me one and only option of January 28th. Just explain your situation to them and they will be pretty accommodating.

We finish on December 15th and don't come back until January 21st. So, no interviews in that time. Don't worry that there are all of these people that will be going before you.

We finish on December 15th and don't come back until January 21st. So, no interviews in that time. Don't worry that there are all of these people that will be going before you.

Wow that's quite a long winter break. Do you just hang out or do something school related in the meantime?

Interviewed 10/15, accepted 11/8. 2 weeks to decide. UMDNJ or Touro anyone? I like the location of Touro but UMDNJ has a good reputation I think. Ultimately I want to get into a competitive residency and my ultimate decision will be based on that...

Wow that's quite a long winter break. Do you just hang out or do something school related in the meantime?

Well, the international med club does a medical mission for 2 weeks during that time, they usually go to Hati. Some people do nothing and take advantage of seeing their family (what I did last year), and some -mostly 2nd years- start studying for boards (what I will be doing this year). If you check out our school website, the academic calendar is up there and we get quite a bit of time off. It's really up to the person to do what they want to do.
But, what most of the professors suggest is that during your first year, you do nothing (unless you want to shadow/volunteer) during those breaks because come 2nd year, all breaks are then dedicated to boards studying.

Any suggestions on following up after submitting the secondary? Does it help to call at all? I emailed Issa Sow and haven't heard back. Or is it just a waste of time?

Got my waitlist letter today. Interviewed on 10/15. Not surprised based upon how I failboated the interview. Good luck to the rest of ya!

anything specific in your interview that made you realize that you didn't do so well?

Well, the international med club does a medical mission for 2 weeks during that time, they usually go to Hati. Some people do nothing and take advantage of seeing their family (what I did last year), and some -mostly 2nd years- start studying for boards (what I will be doing this year). If you check out our school website, the academic calendar is up there and we get quite a bit of time off. It's really up to the person to do what they want to do.
But, what most of the professors suggest is that during your first year, you do nothing (unless you want to shadow/volunteer) during those breaks because come 2nd year, all breaks are then dedicated to boards studying.

Gotcha, thanks for a detailed and helpful response!

Heard that the interviews seem to be going over time a little bit, that means morning sessions are ending after 1:00 PM sometimes. Would it look really bad if you had to leave at 1 PM even if the last part of the day is still running since you already booked a flight out around 3 PM that afternoon? Would that affect your acceptance chances here??????

The main session itself went until about 12:30. The student-led tour and classroom session is what took it until 2 PM (which seems to be about a common end time). I would say 1 the regular PM end time is already cutting it close for a 3 PM flight, so I wouldn't hesitate to leave then. I don't think it would make a big difference in your chances, if any at all.

Heard that the interviews seem to be going over time a little bit, that means morning sessions are ending after 1:00 PM sometimes. Would it look really bad if you had to leave at 1 PM even if the last part of the day is still running since you already booked a flight out around 3 PM that afternoon? Would that affect your acceptance chances here??????

Honestly, I would move the flight if possible. I think it would be rude to leave the interview early unless it were for some extenuating circumstances- i.e. that it's the ONLY flight home that day.

Can I ask how long it took for Mr.Sow to respond to your request for a different interview date? I'm assuming you emailed him. I was going to wait a week before calling to follow up. Thanks!

Can anyone comment on the research opps here? I am heavily skewed towards research and so far, Touro is the school I like the most , but faciities for research is lacking. How do current students do it? Can students connect with other labs/institutions/universities in the NY area easily?

Thanks!

Can I ask how long it took for Mr.Sow to respond to your request for a different interview date? I'm assuming you emailed him. I was going to wait a week before calling to follow up. Thanks!

Yes I did e-mail him. He actually replied the following day with different interview dates.

Yes I did e-mail him. He actually replied the following day with different interview dates.

He never responded to my email so I called today and scheduled for Jan 28th as well. Mr. Sow did tell me though that if we wait until later Dec. that they will know the dates for Feb and March. Do you think the "one schedule change" that is permitted I have already used up? Or that I have one more chance to reschedule? I am thinking and hoping it means the latter, just in case.

He never responded to my email so I called today and scheduled for Jan 28th as well. Mr. Sow did tell me though that if we wait until later Dec. that they will know the dates for Feb and March. Do you think the "one schedule change" that is permitted I have already used up? Or that I have one more chance to reschedule? I am thinking and hoping it means the latter, just in case.

I've asked for different interview dates twice already. Mr. Sow is very nice about it, I'm sure they understand that some applicants might have a hard time coordinating their school/work schedules, airfare, finances etc. You should be able to reschedule for a later date once December rolls around :)

Just interviewed. Loved the school. The facilities are def a little crammed compared to other schools but that is how it is with everything in NYC.

I apologize if this is bad form, but ive PMed some students and I never heard back.

OK serious question, Been browsing some threads namely, http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=582199 , and http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=679300

and wanted to know if any current students can attest to these terrible reviews and if they think its improved since? I am very interested in touro and basically withdrew from some schools but now i'm kind of worried... :/

Those threads are from years ago, and if you actually read it all the way through, you'd have seen it was discredited. Yes, the first two years of the program sucked, but in the last 2 years I've been there is was awesome. PM me if you have questions.