TUCOM-CA Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those with lower GPA and mcats asking if it's too late to apply, I would say yes. They're getting ready to move into stage 2 of the interviewing and only a couple from each group will be accepted. I would wait until next year.

Members don't see this ad.

For those with lower GPA and mcats asking if it's too late to apply, I would say yes. They're getting ready to move into stage 2 of the interviewing and only a couple from each group will be accepted. I would wait until next year.

What characterizes stage 2? Is there an actual limit of people that can be selected? I am interviewing on Tuesday so if you have any further information I would love to have it. I have 3.35 GPA and 33R, which I think isn't lower. I have also heard that Touro looks very favorably on people honestly interested in osteopathy even if they don't have the best stats. How would this play into the decision of those still thinking about applying for this year?

What characterizes stage 2? Is there an actual limit of people that can be selected? I am interviewing on Tuesday so if you have any further information I would love to have it. I have 3.35 GPA and 33R, which I think isn't lower. I have also heard that Touro looks very favorably on people honestly interested in osteopathy even if they don't have the best stats. How would this play into the decision of those still thinking about applying for this year?

We were told that during the first phase, the admission committee is told they can accept 100% of those interviewed, if the interviewers liked them ok. During phase 2, the admission committee is told to pick maybe 2 or 4 people out of each group. The second interview phase starts in Feb. They told us everyone interviewed in the first phase was equally considered. Interviewing Oct 1st has no advantage over Jan 31.

Members don't see this ad :)
We were told that during the first phase, the admission committee is told they can accept 100% of those interviewed, if the interviewers liked them ok. During phase 2, the admission committee is told to pick maybe 2 or 4 people out of each group. The second interview phase starts in Feb. They told us everyone interviewed in the first phase was equally considered. Interviewing Oct 1st has no advantage over Jan 31.

I was told the same thing. They look at about 40 students at a time, and during the first phase they can select all 40 if they want. But in the second phase, they accept a smaller percentage of that because seats are filling up. So if you haven't sent in your stuff yet, then it will probably be tougher to get an interview, and even harder to get accepted.
NOT impossible, just more difficult.

I was told the same thing. They look at about 40 students at a time, and during the first phase they can select all 40 if they want. But in the second phase, they accept a smaller percentage of that because seats are filling up. So if you haven't sent in your stuff yet, then it will probably be tougher to get an interview, and even harder to get accepted.
NOT impossible, just more difficult.

That is very good admissions information. Thanks. At first I was discouraged to know that I may be in phase 2. But that discouraging feeling melted away when I remembered that my interview is on February 2, Groundhog Day! And everyone knows that if Punxsutawney Phil sees his own shadow on that day, it is still phase 1. Alright you other February 2 interviewees out there...This Groundhog Day we all get in! :luck::xf:

Can someone provide me Dr. Haight's e-mail address? I wrote it dowm, but now I can't read my own hand-writing :p

Does anyone know the approximate timeline for when they may begin reviewing people on the waitlist? I am "high" waitlist, so I'm wondering what my chances are and when I may find out... I've been keeping them updated with my grades and stuff, but so far all they tell me is that "the information has been added" to my file.

Anyone here interview on 2/2?

Has anyone on here received an interview that did NOT have a letter of recommendation from a physician (MD or DO)? I know that the requirements state you must have one, but I'm just curious how rigorously they hold to this requirement.

Has anyone on here received an interview that did NOT have a letter of recommendation from a physician (MD or DO)? I know that the requirements state you must have one, but I'm just curious how rigorously they hold to this requirement.

Just get a letter it only takes 2 hours of your time.

Anyone here interview on 2/2?

I interviewed on 2/2 and had a great time! I really loved Touro and hope they feel the same. All the information in the Interview Feedback of this website turned out to be very accurate. I'm glad I read it. I'd be happy to go into great detail myself if anyone would like. But briefly, 10-12 candidates showed up at nine o'clock. We heard from Donald Haight (the Admissions Director), an MPH professor, the head of financial aid, the Dean of Osteopathic Medicine. We toured the campus with a first year student. We got to see most of the facilities (it is a small school) and there was a wonderful anatomy lab, equally awesome OMM lab, small library, unmanned coffee bar, gigantic classrooms. Our student tour guide was very enthusiastic and open. The interview itself was the 6 person panel with three interviewers (one student, one D.O. and one D.C.) talked about at length in the Interview Feedback section. I had heard it was a "stress" interview but all three of these guys were playing good cop. They gave us all straightforward questions. Why Osteopathy? Why Touro? Where do you see yourself in ten years? Can you tell me more about your philosophy minor? How about your knife making hobby? What would you do if you couldn't go into medicine? The interviewers also answered some of our questions. We finished up eating turkey sandwiches and potato chips and being generally encouraged by Dr. Haight, who said he would email us if we wanted him to on Friday with the decision. The turnaround for the decision is about two weeks or less for everyone. They are still in phase one, were they can accept a good number of candidates. I hope that one is me. :love:

Just get a letter it only takes 2 hours of your time.

Yes, it only takes 2 hours of MY time, but obviously I'd rather not have to bother a doctor if I don't need to, because they have better things to do than write LORs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, it only takes 2 hours of MY time, but obviously I'd rather not have to bother a doctor if I don't need to, because they have better things to do than write LORs.

The MD/DO letter held my secondary up at this school also. I didn't even turn it in because I had trouble finding a DO to shadow. When I inquired about this with Touro, I learned that any letter from a doctor will do, no need to work out shadowing. I ended up calling local DOs in private practice in my neighborhood. Actually, I tried to get in touch with hospital DOs but that just never worked. You could even use your own doctor to write the letter. But I connected with my letter writer because I really was interested in her specialty and knew a bit about it (Biodynamic Cranial Osteopathy). Because of this, my contact made more sense. She sat down with me for a few hours and let me ask her questions, then agreed to write a letter. Another doctor I had tried to do this with was happy to talk with me, but when I brought up my need for a letter she merely made suggestions of doctors who might allow me to shadow. So persistence is key. Good Luck. :)

I interviewed on 2/2 and had a great time! I really loved Touro and hope they feel the same. All the information in the Interview Feedback of this website turned out to be very accurate. I'm glad I read it. I'd be happy to go into great detail myself if anyone would like. But briefly, 10-12 candidates showed up at nine o'clock. We heard from Donald Haight (the Admissions Director), an MPH professor, the head of financial aid, the Dean of Osteopathic Medicine. We toured the campus with a first year student. We got to see most of the facilities (it is a small school) and there was a wonderful anatomy lab, equally awesome OMM lab, small library, unmanned coffee bar, gigantic classrooms. Our student tour guide was very enthusiastic and open. The interview itself was the 6 person panel with three interviewers (one student, one D.O. and one D.C.) talked about at length in the Interview Feedback section. I had heard it was a "stress" interview but all three of these guys were playing good cop. They gave us all straightforward questions. Why Osteopathy? Why Touro? Where do you see yourself in ten years? Can you tell me more about your philosophy minor? How about your knife making hobby? What would you do if you couldn't go into medicine? The interviewers also answered some of our questions. We finished up eating turkey sandwiches and potato chips and being generally encouraged by Dr. Haight, who said he would email us if we wanted him to on Friday with the decision. The turnaround for the decision is about two weeks or less for everyone. They are still in phase one, were they can accept a good number of candidates. I hope that one is me. :love:

Yeah that was fun. I was just asking to see if anyone there was also on SDN, but cool now I know who you are. The interview wasn't as bad as I was told though you could tell everyone was hungry. Dr. Haight is really cool, he said we'll get the results by Friday. You have really good memory btw.

No, they don't. Most of the docs I've met would rather hang out with their pre-med. By shadowing them you are making the world a better place. Your doc will feel less frustrated, and more satisfied. This means your doc will be nicer to all the patients the next day. All of those people will be happier that their doc was nicer to them than usual… Puppies and babies will be happy.

Last edited:
Re: Shadowing (below)
"Puppies and babies will be happy."[/QUOTE]

Hehe, that is the greatest! :)

Thank you so much to all for your positive contributions. I have been building up a lot of nervous energy reading some of these posts in anticipation for my interview on the 22nd ----however, these past few posts have calmed my nerves and given me a clearer picture of what to expect....thank you for your help! :thumbup:

Good luck on your interview!!

"Puppies and babies will be happy."

Thank you so much to all for your positive contributions. I have been building up a lot of nervous energy reading some of these posts in anticipation for my interview on the 22nd ----however, these past few posts have calmed my nerves and given me a clearer picture of what to expect....thank you for your help! :thumbup:[/QUOTE]

I guess interview results will be sent out today. Cross your fingers.

For all of you who have been accepted, I have a housing opportunity for you! (3b/2ba - super cute house close to the island but not on the island)
We have 2 rooms available over the summer, and one available for next year! You'll be living with second years, which is always a good resource :) Let me know if you're interested and I'll send more details!

got the e-mail, high wait-listed. Can't say I'm not surprised, I thought my interview went well :confused: oh well, probably won't go here even if I get in. Better luck to everybody else!

"Puppies and babies will be happy."

Thank you so much to all for your positive contributions. I have been building up a lot of nervous energy reading some of these posts in anticipation for my interview on the 22nd ----however, these past few posts have calmed my nerves and given me a clearer picture of what to expect....thank you for your help! :thumbup:

Don't stress about the interview. My interview on 2/2 was a big disaster, and I just got an email saying I was accepted :D Touro-CA here I come!

I got in and plan on going! I'm so excited as I really felt at home at my visit to Touro. Time to take a serious look at the MPH program. :love:

I just need to find a place to live now where I won't get robbed or shot. I saw the tiny area of Vallejo has already had 2 murders in the past week and an unbelievable number of assaults and robberies. Where's a good place to live? I hear Benicia and Glen Cove are nice areas.

Complete since October and still no word here. I'm beginning to think its a silent rejection :( It was the last California school I had to hear back from

Congratulations to those of you who have been accepted!

I know I've posted this several other places already, but Touro University California Class of 2014 has a group on facebook.... PM me or look up the group on Facebook to join... again congratulations! The group is quite active and there have been some good discussions about the MPH program, living arrangements, and financial aide. It's proven a great way to get to know some of our future classmates before the big move!

I also started a new thread under the medical students part of SDN, it's under osteopathic students, class threads it's called "Touro CA class of 2014", or something like that! This group is not as active as the Facebook group, but there has been some discussion about living arrangements as well as books that we'll need....

You absolutely need a LOR from a DO or MD; it is one of the 3 required LORs. It shows them that you have the proper understanding of what your getting into, and the maturity it takes to get to know people in your future field. It shows that a doctor was willing to take the time to show you around (because they like you), and that same doctor has faith that you'll be a good physician; it assures the board that they are making the right choice. Although it may take only 2 hours of shadowing to get the LOR, a good LOR takes a lot longer. You need to build a relationship/friendship with the physician your shadowing, and that takes time.

Complete since October and still no word here. I'm beginning to think its a silent rejection :( It was the last California school I had to hear back from

Email or call them. They might have misplaced your application as they get busy.

I haven't been keeping up to date but I was wondering if anyone else that's going to attend Touro would want to get together for dinner. It would be great to start meeting people. I am in SoCal.

Last edited:
Just accepted C/O 2014! definitely attending and definitely doing the MPH. Any thoughts about neighborhoods to leave in. Im thinking about commuting from berkeley and was wondering what people thought

I haven't been keeping up to date but I was wondering if anyone else that's going to attend Touro would want to get together for dinner. It would be great to start meeting people. I am in SoCal.

Hobo, I don't know how many of the accepted students are floating around this thread still, but our Facebook group includes about 1/3 of our future class... and several of those people are in socal so drop over and find us on Facebook Touro CA Class of 2014.....

i gave up my spot here today. hope that it finds one of you well.

I'm interviewing March 8- anyone else? I'm trying to move to this area, and definitely want to get into Touro!! Unfortunately, my application got held up because I had to wait for a DO to be available for shadowing and then to write a recommendation.

Do they offer a lot of interviews? U.S. News and World Report says that out of 425 interviewed, 223 were accepted... seems like pretty good odds but I don't know how accurate this information is.

I'm genuinely interested in osteopathic medicine, and really hope I can get in!! Hopefully they'll have some spots left when I interview...

I withdrew my seat. Hope it goes to the people who are on the waitlist. good luck guys!

I have not heard anything since the completion of my application in late nov/ early dec. What's their MCAT/GPA stat? Who do I contact for status of my application? Thanks.

I have not heard anything since the completion of my application in late nov/ early dec. What's their MCAT/GPA stat? Who do I contact for status of my application? Thanks.

I'm in the same boat... since Oct 11th actually...

I was 28 MCAT (9 VR 8 PS 11 BIO) and 3.5 science with 1000's of hours of work experience, lab research, volunteer work. I was accepted last friday. Good luck

Secondary complete: 2/5
Interview Invite: 2/11
Interview: 2/23

I really like this school/campus/people! We are going to find out next friday 3/5....:oops:

btw...when we interviewed on 2/23...they said they are still in Phase 1 unlike many other schools at this point....so they can accept all 40/40 of us if they would like

...and also for people still waiting, they said they are probably going to stop interviewing end of april or so.

btw...when we interviewed on 2/23...they said they are still in Phase 1 unlike many other schools at this point....so they can accept all 40/40 of us if they would like

...and also for people still waiting, they said they are probably going to stop interviewing end of april or so.

Is the end of the interview process when they will start looking at the waitlisted people again? I have been trying to keep in touch with them, but they don't make it too easy... I can't even find a number to call. I just emailed them to check in and got like a 2-word reply. Hopefully we will hear something after interviews are all done! My fiance just went to a DO that graduated from Touro-CA and loved it, and it made me even more excited/anxious to hear back from this school!

i feel your pain dbdan. i've also been complete since october, and no word yet. i personally visited the campus (i'm local) and spoke to lynn and she said that my gpa (3.1) might be holding me back form an interview. i've written a letter of intent but no luck. why did they send me a secondary, if my gpa was not within their acceptable limits? i have great lors, my secondary was well written, my gpa has an upward trend, 28R mcat and great ECs. Shadowed both DO and MD. i'm not trying to complain, just wondering why they sent me a secondary and took my $100 if they never cared to give me an interview.

oh well. nothing that can be done about it. good luck to ya!

Anybody here looking to work any any of Touro's research labs?

Hi Everyone,

I have a few questions. I interview on 2/9 but I did not get a tour or meet any students at the school. 2/9 was the day after the president emeritus of the school died suddenly and the school was in a state of mourning. I was accepted and now I have to put up a deposit but I have several questions that I wonder if you could share you experiences with.

1. how were the facilities? i have heard from others that they are a bit lacking, but does it seem like a good learning environment?

2. Do you know the comlex step 1 pass rates?

3. do they podcast or otherwise record the lectures and is attendance mandatory?

4. Do you know how the rotation match works?

Thank you for your help. I really love the area and i could see myself being very happy there. However, there are a few questions of quality of the school that I am just ignorant off.

Thanks,

Richard

Hi Everyone,

I have a few questions. I interview on 2/9 but I did not get a tour or meet any students at the school. 2/9 was the day after the president emeritus of the school died suddenly and the school was in a state of mourning. I was accepted and now I have to put up a deposit but I have several questions that I wonder if you could share you experiences with.

1. how were the facilities? i have heard from others that they are a bit lacking, but does it seem like a good learning environment?

2. Do you know the comlex step 1 pass rates?

3. do they podcast or otherwise record the lectures and is attendance mandatory?

4. Do you know how the rotation match works?

Thank you for your help. I really love the area and i could see myself being very happy there. However, there are a few questions of quality of the school that I am just ignorant off.

Thanks,

Richard

Richard,

if you are on Facebook drop by the Touro CA class of 2014 group page on Facebook... there are several current students as well as lots of our future classmates there, I'm sure that they will be more than happy to answer any/all of your questions, it is a very active group!

complete in october or november some time...really late. Just got an interview invite this weekend so for those still waiting - don't lose faith!

So my interview is coming up on March 8... I'm staying the weekend with a good friend in Albany. However, I'm thinking about maybe staying in a hotel the night before the interview. Does anyone have an opinion or experience with any hotels in the area (positive or negative)?

complete in october or november some time...really late. Just got an interview invite this weekend so for those still waiting - don't lose faith!
same as you! don't know if i wanna waste money on going here if they only accept 1 in 4 applicants

I was told that they take 1/2 of all interviewed. Its just that 1/2 of those that get accepted, decline. So, you pretty much have a ~50% chance of getting in if you get an interview.

Although, in the earlier stages of interview process this holds truer as they have more spots to give out.

anything's worth it at this point for me ;) 50/50 odds sound pretty good!

So my interview is coming up on March 8... I'm staying the weekend with a good friend in Albany. However, I'm thinking about maybe staying in a hotel the night before the interview. Does anyone have an opinion or experience with any hotels in the area (positive or negative)?

I enjoyed the Courtyard Inn near Vallejo. It is a bit expensive but it is a good nights sleep. They have a shuttle that takes you to the school and brings you back after the interview. It takes away a lot of the stress that can be there.

Richard

+1 for the Marriott and the shuttle. You want no worries or problems before your interview. It will be just another expense for you to throw into the money bucket that is medical school. Might as well be comfortable. :D